New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Getting back to weaning again (sorry guys)
7 months & we give him all the appropriate finger foods, he doesn’t like being spoon fed he just turns his head away and shuts his mouth tight so we just give him finger foods for the moment. But I’m worried that I’m not doing things right because he just sucks the life out of whatever it is and then throws it. Is this normal? He still has all of his milk as normal so I’m not worried he’s not eating enough but this weaning lark is starting to stress me out!
That's completely normal 😊
It's all about getting them learning to eat and trying the textures ect not actually about them eating

Reactions: 3
Getting back to weaning again (sorry guys)
7 months & we give him all the appropriate finger foods, he doesn’t like being spoon fed he just turns his head away and shuts his mouth tight so we just give him finger foods for the moment. But I’m worried that I’m not doing things right because he just sucks the life out of whatever it is and then throws it. Is this normal? He still has all of his milk as normal so I’m not worried he’s not eating enough but this weaning lark is starting to stress me out!
Totally normal 😊 they get lots of just sucking anyway! Things like meat juices, fruit/veg juice will all be going in. At 7 months I think that is absolutely to be expected. I know it can sometimes feel disheartening that they don’t seem to be “getting it”, but I’m sure you see evidence in his poo of little bits making it through?
I would try and be firm with food throwing from the start though. Try just giving one or two pieces of food at first, sometimes too much is overwhelming for them. I usually return the food once, then say something like “I think you’re telling me you don’t want that orange any more, so I’ll take it away. You still have pineapple here” or whatever words work for you.

Can we talk about routines: it’s suddenly occurred to me that as baby is approaching 8 weeks, should I be making bedtime seem more like bedtime???

At the moment, he stays in the lounge with us until we go to bed. This is anytime between 10pm and 11pm- obviously he needs to stay in the same room as us so should we be going to bed earlier and starting a routine of bath, book, bed etc?
Do what feels right for you! With our eldest we started a bedtime routine as you’ve mentioned very early (about 3 weeks), and with our second he just tagged along with me until 6 months. If you’re baby is ready for their big night sleep at roughly the same time every night, go for it!

Reactions: 1
Can we talk about routines: it’s suddenly occurred to me that as baby is approaching 8 weeks, should I be making bedtime seem more like bedtime???

At the moment, he stays in the lounge with us until we go to bed. This is anytime between 10pm and 11pm- obviously he needs to stay in the same room as us so should we be going to bed earlier and starting a routine of bath, book, bed etc?
Honestly? Do whatever you feel is right for you. I don’t know how helpful that is, but I know we didn’t have a routine for our little one until he was around 5 months. People were always shocked at this, but tbh, it just works for us as a family. He slept better if he went to bed at the same time as us, we would bath him every night but it was never at a particular time, just kind of when we’d had enough and wanted to go to bed but also found he slept better if he went to bed later. Now he’s 7 months, he has a bit more of a routine but only because we are weaning & I find now as he’s more active during the day he gets tired easily and we usually start ‘bedtime’ around 6:30, it takes around an hour to do everything and he’s usually asleep by 7:30 and goes through till 5.
You could try a little routine for a few days, see how it feels for you, baby might be a little unsettled at first cause it’s different for them but no harm in trying. At 8 weeks they aren’t doing much other than laying there, sleeping & eating. It’s when they start wanting to roll, sit up, tummy time etc.
I found I was just surviving everyday for the first 3 months so to be able to get to the end of the day and baby was happy & alive i knew I was doing ok 🤣🤣🤣🥴🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I only started a month or so ago with a routine. She's 23(?) weeks (I can't keep track of weeks 😂)
I let them fall into their own routine roughly before I do anything about it

That's completely normal 😊
It's all about getting them learning to eat and trying the textures ect not actually about them eating
Phew, that’s good to know!
I don’t know why I worry so much, first time mum worries I guess.
also, the kid LOVES a tomato. I’m not sure he’s my son because I absolutely hate them, I can’t even touch them 🤣 my husband has to cut it and give it to him 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
My 13 week old baby has never had problems breastfeeding apart from occasional fussiness/wriggling when she's a bit gassy. However the last couple of days she latches but after a few seconds starts screaming and wriggling away even though she's clearly hungry. I've finally managed to get her to latch whilst I'm lying back on the sofa and she's lying vertically up me which is a bit awkward. Any idea why this is happening? She did have her 12 week jabs this week but nothing like this happened at the 8 week jabs.
Is there anything more frustrating than a hungry baby getting on like an eejit at the boob? Honestly, just drink it! Could be that she is frustrated that she isn’t getting milk quickly enough, in which case maybe offering more frequently would help. Some babies do start to get very fussy as they get older, almost that they don’t want to be bothered with the hassle of eating, because they want to look round, and can’t settle themselves. In which case a really calm environment is good, and a place that when she pops off she has nothing interesting to look at. (In an ideal world. Reality is she needs fed wherever you are and that isn’t always a calm quiet place!) Maybe a necklace like the one below for her to focus on while feeding could help in that case (Google breastfeeding necklace). Or could just be a bad week for her. So hard to know with babies at times, and so frustrating for us trying to figure it out.

Attachments

Reactions: 2
Totally normal 😊 they get lots of just sucking anyway! Things like meat juices, fruit/veg juice will all be going in. At 7 months I think that is absolutely to be expected. I know it can sometimes feel disheartening that they don’t seem to be “getting it”, but I’m sure you see evidence in his poo of little bits making it through?
I would try and be firm with food throwing from the start though. Try just giving one or two pieces of food at first, sometimes too much is overwhelming for them. I usually return the food once, then say something like “I think you’re telling me you don’t want that orange any more, so I’ll take it away. You still have pineapple here” or whatever words work for you.

Do what feels right for you! With our eldest we started a bedtime routine as you’ve mentioned very early (about 3 weeks), and with our second he just tagged along with me until 6 months. If you’re baby is ready for their big night sleep at roughly the same time every night, go for it!
Yeah he does have evidence of other ‘things’ 🤮 in his poo so he must be getting something. I wish I could just relax and let him get on with it & enjoy it, I’m finding that balance quite difficult!
a lot of my friends say weaning is the funnest part 😣 I’m not sure I’m in agreement tbh

• Heart
Yeah he does have evidence of other ‘things’ 🤮 in his poo so he must be getting something. I wish I could just relax and let him get on with it & enjoy it, I’m finding that balance quite difficult!
a lot of my friends say weaning is the funnest part 😣 I’m not sure I’m in agreement tbh
I’m with you, I don’t find weaning overly fun at all. Not only is it worrying (are they getting enough? Are you offering enough variety and nutrients? Etc!) but it’s somewhat messy, time consuming and generally a bit of a pain in the ass. My sister actually said tonight the best baby advice I ever gave her was don’t rush weaning, as you’ve to then feed them every day as it’s a total pain 🤣

Thank you for support yesterday. I’ve had a bad couple of days but trying to just keep going. Not letting myself get down cause I’m learning.

ok so can I ask about lactation suppression? Finn is a month old today (yay!) and I’m still having to wear a bra all day and all night. If I take my bra off I’m instantly leaking. My midwife said it should take about 2 weeks but we’re at twice that. I’m fed up of sleeping in a bra and I’m getting a bad rash between my boobs from the heat and sweat as they never get a break from being in boob jail. I have 34J boobs (duck my life) so I’m guessing this is contributing to it taking longer. I don’t know how to not ‘stimulate’ them. They’re so big there’s no avoiding them and they get very squished when Finn’s on my chest. I really hate my boobs anyway so the fact this is still ongoing makes me hate them more. Does anyone have any tips to suppress the milk or can advise on how long it took their milk to go away?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you for support yesterday. I’ve had a bad couple of days but trying to just keep going. Not letting myself get down cause I’m learning.

ok so can I ask about lactation suppression? Finn is a month old today (yay!) and I’m still having to wear a bra all day and all night. If I take my bra off I’m instantly leaking. My midwife said it should take about 2 weeks but we’re at twice that. I’m fed up of sleeping in a bra and I’m getting a bad rash between my boobs from the heat and sweat as they never get a break from being in boob jail. I have 34J boobs (duck my life) so I’m guessing this is contributing to it taking longer. I don’t know how to not ‘stimulate’ them. They’re so big there’s no avoiding them and they get very squished when Finn’s on my chest. I really hate my boobs anyway so the fact this is still ongoing makes me hate them more. Does anyone have any tips to suppress the milk or can advise on how long it took their milk to go away?
Happy 1 month to Finn! I can’t believe that, where has the month gone? You are so right to say about not beating yourself up because you’re learning. I think that’s an outlook we could all do with more often ❤
I know there are meds you can get from the dr to dry up milk, but I’m not sure what criteria they would want to be met to give those out. No harm in asking them, especially given you’re getting a rash so it’s negatively affecting you to have it continue.

I had this issue as similar to you, it's so hard not to stimulate them and you're always leaning on them or baby is near. I never bothered wearing a bra during the night. I kind of pretended it didn't happen and as I sleep on my front anyway, it wasn't a massive issue for me.
But when I used to wake up for feeding, I'd end up having a Muslin cloth under each boob because they'd be dripping 😂
I can't remember how long it took for mine to stop dripping, I think it was 3-4 weeks.

I don't know if it works but aren't certain leaves supposed to help? Cabbage or something. I'm quite possibly imagining this 😂

23 weeks in though and they still leak every so often. For some reason, it's always my left 🤔

Mine are leaking and if I’m honest I just ignore it every night I wear a nee washed pyjamas which are the m and s ones t shirt and trousers then in the day I just wear a zip at the front bra and breast pads but in all honesty my boobs are just the same as before pregnancy I am losing so much weight I don’t think I’ll have much busy left at this rate I’m now lighter than I was was summer 2020 x

I'm looking at highchairs and so many people recommend the ikea one as its much easier to clean etc. The cushion insert for it only goes around the back and sides, is it best to try get one that's a cushion on the seat too?

I'm looking at highchairs and so many people recommend the ikea one as its much easier to clean etc. The cushion insert for it only goes around the back and sides, is it best to try get one that's a cushion on the seat too?
How old will baby be when you start using it? I will probably do the IKEA one as it’s cheap and compact. I have a small house and everything I buy has to be really considered. I will probably only use it starting after 6 m so I think it will be ok

How old will baby be when you start using it? I will probably do the IKEA one as it’s cheap and compact. I have a small house and everything I buy has to be really considered. I will probably only use it starting after 6 m so I think it will be ok
Will be around 6 months too, I'm liking that you can buy cushion covers and leg rests for it to spruce it up but only downside is that it'll just sit out and won't fold away. I had the 360 aldi one for my first baby and it was a total pain!!

I've got the ikea highchir and bought a seat inset from Cove - it just goes around the back and sides and baby seems fine tbh. The constant clean up 3x a day of meals drives me insane, can't imagine how people do it with a big, fabric seated highchair! We really rate the ikea highchair.

• Heart
I think in all instances it’s actually better for a wee one to not sit on a cushioned surface, but a more solid one. If there is a bit of give in the surface it’s harder for them to sit up properly and the squidginess of the cushion changes and they are constantly then having to readjust. All of mine have gone in to the IKEA one and never had an issue 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've got the ikea highchir and bought a seat inset from Cove - it just goes around the back and sides and baby seems fine tbh. The constant clean up 3x a day of meals drives me insane, can't imagine how people do it with a big, fabric seated highchair! We really rate the ikea highchair.
I've seen cute cushions from Cove, does it wash well?
@Definitelyme thank yous both so much! Will pick it up when I'm next at ikea 🙂

I put my big girl pants on today & called my GP. Since the twins coming home I've noticed a huge drop in my milk supply. I'm talking around a loss of 150ml each session. I'm currently expressing to exclusively bottle feed. Anyway, the stocks I'd built up during NICU have now totally gone & I've spent the last two nights panicking they'll starve and lose weight. I hate calling my gp, he's very dismissive. I just hope when he calls back he can prescribe me the tablets too boost my supply & the formula the babies need to supplement for the time being. I had a right cry to the receptionist, and then remembered it really doesn't matter how they're fed, they're bloody home!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
M
I put my big girl pants on today & called my GP. Since the twins coming home I've noticed a huge drop in my milk supply. I'm talking around a loss of 150ml each session. I'm currently expressing to exclusively bottle feed. Anyway, the stocks I'd built up during NICU have now totally gone & I've spent the last two nights panicking they'll starve and lose weight. I hate calling my gp, he's very dismissive. I just hope when he calls back he can prescribe me the tablets too boost my supply & the formula the babies need to supplement for the time being. I had a right cry to the receptionist, and then remembered it really doesn't matter how they're fed, they're bloody home!
not sure if this is helpful but this is the screenshot of an email my lactation consultant sent me about the fenugreek.
I gave up exclusively breastfeeding so not entirely sure if it works, will post the tablets I bought too

2B165CDB-EEB6-472F-94B0-4ED0CDE276BA.png

Attachments

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.