New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone, I feel like I can finally move over to this thread now by baby girl is home and out of NICU. The times I stayed with her in hospital and last night (first night at home) we can’t put her down to sleep she’ll only sleep on us. I don’t know if one of the reasons is because her next to me crib feels cold to touch (even though the room temperature is correct) can anyone recommend a heat pad or something and has anyone used one before with success?
Have you tried swaddling her? The stage lasted a few weeks for us where he didn'tlike the bedside crib. We took it in turns or I did some safe co sleeping. I tried the hot water bottle trick also and removed before putting him down. We had the purflo baby bed that went inside the crib which seemed to help him feel more secure as well.

Reactions: 2
Thank you! 💖

How long did you find they went through this stage for? She is 37+5 today. I haven’t got a hot water bottle but I couldn’t get one and test it out. It might not work but for some reason the room temp is correct and her mattress feels cold.
It lasted a few weeks
We changed from a bedside crib thing to a moses basket because we thought it would make a difference. It didn't really make any difference.
We did swaddle a few times and that worked. And then stopped working too 😂

• Haha
It lasted a few weeks
We changed from a bedside crib thing to a moses basket because we thought it would make a difference. It didn't really make any difference.
We did swaddle a few times and that worked. And then stopped working too 😂

🤣🤣.

I tried to swaddle her last night and she hated it. Cries going into her Moses basket and next to me. Tried playing white noise sounds, didn’t work. Sleeping on mummy 👍. I was told by the outreach team that we can not co sleep with her ever either because she’s prem and her increased risk of SIDS.

• Heart
@Babyyoda88 so glad your girl is home safely! Hopefully after a night or two of adjustment she will be a bit more settled. I suppose NICU is quite loud, and she may not be used to the quiet? You can get heat pads for the crib, someone has mentioned them before but I don’t know what they are called - maybe ask on the pregnancy thread too?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
@Babyyoda88
Someone on this thread posted this one, I've not bought it yet though so can't comment on how well it works

Do you leave it on overnight?

Oh great thank you!

@Babyyoda88 so glad your girl is home safely! Hopefully after a night or two of adjustment she will be a bit more settled. I suppose NICU is quite loud, and she may not be used to the quiet? You can get heat pads for the crib, someone has mentioned them before but I don’t know what they are called - maybe ask on the pregnancy thread too?

Thank you 💖
I might play some machine beeping tonight and see if she drifts off 😆. I feel bad, night one and I’m already complaining about my little nocturnal cluster feeder haha.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
@Babyyoda88
Someone on this thread posted this one, I've not bought it yet though so can't comment on how well it works

Do you leave it on overnight?
Yep - popped it on, left it overnight then gave her a bath the next day and washed it off with a gentle baby shampoo and flannel, and it worked like a charm! Cleared it up in one use, but for a few little specks, so went again the next night and it’s all gone and haven’t had it since

• Heart
Hi everyone, I feel like I can finally move over to this thread now by baby girl is home and out of NICU. The times I stayed with her in hospital and last night (first night at home) we can’t put her down to sleep she’ll only sleep on us. I don’t know if one of the reasons is because her next to me crib feels cold to touch (even though the room temperature is correct) can anyone recommend a heat pad or something and has anyone used one before with success?
I don’t know if it’ll work for you but with my boy I’ve found that once he’s fallen asleep after a feed I hold him for a while (usually like 5-10 minutes) until I notice his mouth hang open slightly then I pop him in his next to me. I’m not sure if it’ll help at all but I think it works for us because he’s in a slightly deeper sleep. Don’t get me wrong, he has to have a wriggle around once I’ve put him down but I try not to interfere unless he needs me to

so glad Ayda is home 🧡 really pleased for you. I’ve learned that I have to hold Finn for around 10 mins before I can pop him down. Apparently it takes them 10 mins to get into deep sleep so I wait and then put him down and he makes a slight grumble and then he’s usually fine. Has made nighttime a lot lot easier for me. I also have a love to dream swaddle where he can have his arms up because he hates being swaddled in the traditional way as he likes his arms up.

Reactions: 5
Anyone else dealt with cradle cap? My HV said rub some olive oil on it, leave it overnight, wash it off and use baby conditioner to stop it coming back (she's quite old school) but reading online a lot of people say avoid olive oil as its not good for their skin. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Mine’s had cradle cap since birth and is 4 months now, not as bad as the pics on Google images but a bit yellowy and crusty! I’ve tried not using baby shampoo, using baby shampoo, rubbing coconut oil and combing it but none of it has worked. So I bought Dentinox on Amazon, gonna try it tonight for the first time so I can report back!

• Heart
I'd forgotten about the ten minute thing of holding them! I used to pick up his arm and let it gently drop to see if he was in a deep enough sleep 😂 We always thought he hated swaddling but I think it was because we weren't doing it properly - when we got the velcro swaddles he slept soo much better! Think it wasn't tight enough originally and he wriggled out. Not saying that;s happening with you guys, but just our experience. The transition out of the swaddle was really tough for us I remember! I was gutted when he finally rolled and we couldn't use it anymore!

Took Hannah swimming for the first time today and she fell asleep in the pool 🤣🤣 at least she didn't hate it I suppose 🤷‍♀️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I went to baby yoga yesterday, I was completely knackered after it never mind the baby. Trying to hold your baby while squatting and balancing on one leg, duck me 😂

3 more classes to go but it was good to get out the house.

• Haha
Have you tried swaddling her? The stage lasted a few weeks for us where he didn'tlike the bedside crib. We took it in turns or I did some safe co sleeping. I tried the hot water bottle trick also and removed before putting him down. We had the purflo baby bed that went inside the crib which seemed to help him feel more secure as well.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah she doesn’t like feeling restricted and just grunted trying to get her arms out.

I'd forgotten about the ten minute thing of holding them! I used to pick up his arm and let it gently drop to see if he was in a deep enough sleep 😂 We always thought he hated swaddling but I think it was because we weren't doing it properly - when we got the velcro swaddles he slept soo much better! Think it wasn't tight enough originally and he wriggled out. Not saying that;s happening with you guys, but just our experience. The transition out of the swaddle was really tough for us I remember! I was gutted when he finally rolled and we couldn't use it anymore!
oh im definitely rubbish at swaddling so got the Velcro ones but Finn fought out of those too. Could just hear the Velcro ripping open from the crib as he grumbled. He’s like the hulk.

Took Hannah swimming for the first time today and she fell asleep in the pool 🤣🤣 at least she didn't hate it I suppose 🤷‍♀️🤣
Just had a real chuckle at this, nearly woke up baby B. Babies are pretty useless sometimes aren’t they 🤣

I went to baby yoga yesterday, I was completely knackered after it never mind the baby. Trying to hold your baby while squatting and balancing on one leg, duck me 😂

Oh wow yoga whilst holding the baby!? This sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster 😂 there is a Pilates studio near me which does bring your baby classes but I just KNOW mine would be the one which ends up screaming the entire time 🥲

• Haha

No joke probably would split in half if I attempted this 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Does anyone know how we can make the next to me for any more comfortable, I’ve looked for mattresses but the quality doesn’t seem great.

Does anyone know how we can make the next to me for any more comfortable, I’ve looked for mattresses but the quality doesn’t seem great.
They don't seem comfortable, none of them do because they're supposed to be firm.
Poor babies 😂

Just had a real chuckle at this, nearly woke up baby B. Babies are pretty useless sometimes aren’t they 🤣

Oh wow yoga whilst holding the baby!? This sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster 😂 there is a Pilates studio near me which does bring your baby classes but I just KNOW mine would be the one which ends up screaming the entire time 🥲
I thought we’d just be doing stretches on the baby, didn’t think I’d end up doing a full work out! My baby was the youngest and littlest, not sure I’d have been able to do it if he was much bigger! I was dripping with sweat and trying my hardest not to drop him 😂 We had to sign a consent form that any injuries to the baby was our responsibility and not the children’s centre so that was a positive start. 😂

Surprisingly he didn’t cry, neither did any of the other babies apart from the odd whinge. They were probably all like ‘mum wtf are you doing with me?’

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.