New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ergh I’ve had a stinking headache on and off all day today and as a result I feel like I’ve been a bit of a crappy mum 🙈 baby is totally fine. He’s just having A lot more time in front of the tv than usual 😆
Honestly my 12 week old is OBSESSED with cocomelon 😬
Hope you feel better soon!!!

Am trying to build a stash of expressed milk - managed a grand total of 1oz today, despite having done it before successfully, and now panicking baby won’t be getting enough milk even though I know she is. Also put the pump in the fridge after washing it in a ziplock and didn’t give it time to warm up, bit of a shock to the system popping that on my boob 🤣🤣🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ergh I’ve had a stinking headache on and off all day today and as a result I feel like I’ve been a bit of a crappy mum 🙈 baby is totally fine. He’s just having A lot more time in front of the tv than usual 😆

Don't feel TV shame, sometimes you've just gotta put it on for an hour (or two 😅) for a break or to get tit done! Hey Bear Sensory on YouTube has been a lifesaver and it's not half as annoying as most of the kids tit on there!

Reactions: 5
Finn is now seemingly magnetised to mommy and will only sleep in the daytime if he’s on my chest. Nighttime he does go down ok mostly but in the day if we pop him in his carry cot he’ll just wake up instantly. Now I know this is totally normal but I literally can’t get anything done. It’s lovely snuggling with him but I’m just sat on the sofa like a potato for most of the day. Not productive at all. I’ve ordered a sling (the easiest one I could find) but does anyone have any tips for how long this might last or how to ease him into sleeping in his carrycot in the daytime?
It wasn't until about 4.5 months that my little one did naps in his cot and then they were just 30 mins. I then used to contact nap for the others or run in when he stirred to resettle on my chest after one sleep cycle so he got a longer nap. The sling will be very helpful in getting bits done! It doesn't last forever, my nearly 9 month old won't ever nap on me now and hasn't done since about 5 and a half months, unless poorly.

I've had a day similar but from tiredness! Got to be done on some days! I tell myself that when working/pre baby, I'd have the weekend/evenings to recover and chill as needed but can't do that now so I give myself those days when needed.

Reactions: 1
Honestly my 12 week old is OBSESSED with cocomelon 😬
Hope you feel better soon!!!

Am trying to build a stash of expressed milk - managed a grand total of 1oz today, despite having done it before successfully, and now panicking baby won’t be getting enough milk even though I know she is. Also put the pump in the fridge after washing it in a ziplock and didn’t give it time to warm up, bit of a shock to the system popping that on my boob 🤣🤣🤣
Ive heard that if you then run it under the warm Tap before expressing again then it’s not so horrid!

@Kitt sending love. I’ve no advice at all (apart from lower your standards of things like house cleanliness, cooking etc. But that’s advice I give out but do not follow. I often feel overwhelmed by not having got done what I think I should have done that day. It’s probably my no1 thing that makes me feel stressed out) but sending love and solidarity

@Hbirdette you gotta survive when you’re unwell, and that sometimes means things you’d prefer you didn’t have to do. But you’re only human, and if you’re a sick human you aren’t able to do the things you normally would x

Reactions: 2
Bit of advice if possible, does anyone know when it’s “safe” to pump? Like I read online not to pump in the early stages because it can affect supply but I’m 4 weeks in now and I’d really love to be able to pump (sometimes) so I can have 1/2 nights a week where my partner can feed the baby at night (if he’ll take the bottle🤞) so I can get a bit more sleep. But I don’t want to end up with an oversupply or nipple confusion or any of the negatives you read about online.

• Heart
Bit of advice if possible, does anyone know when it’s “safe” to pump? Like I read online not to pump in the early stages because it can affect supply but I’m 4 weeks in now and I’d really love to be able to pump (sometimes) so I can have 1/2 nights a week where my partner can feed the baby at night (if he’ll take the bottle🤞) so I can get a bit more sleep. But I don’t want to end up with an oversupply or nipple confusion or any of the negatives you read about online.
They (whoever they are) usually say 6 weeks for bottles etc to avoid nipple confusion, but honestly I think unless you’re giving very frequent bottles (as in more than half of feeds) it won’t be an issue at all. If you have a Hakkaa you could use that to build a stash in the freezer, and as you do it while feeding from the other side and it isn’t an Active pump it wouldn’t stimulate supply in quite the same way.
I think for occasional use pumping now should be fine without causing too many issues.

Finn is now seemingly magnetised to mommy and will only sleep in the daytime if he’s on my chest. Nighttime he does go down ok mostly but in the day if we pop him in his carry cot he’ll just wake up instantly. Now I know this is totally normal but I literally can’t get anything done. It’s lovely snuggling with him but I’m just sat on the sofa like a potato for most of the day. Not productive at all. I’ve ordered a sling (the easiest one I could find) but does anyone have any tips for how long this might last or how to ease him into sleeping in his carrycot in the daytime?
If you put him down and he wakes up again, do you keep trying to put him down or just let him stay on your chest? My LO is 8 weeks and wakes up pretty much every time I put her down in the day, so I'll pick her up and get her back to sleep on me and then try and put her down again. It usually takes a good 2 or 3 goes but eventually she will stay in her moses basket!

I’ve just started pumping at 6 weeks and it is going really well. Husband now does a late night feed 🥳🥳🥳 no issue with baby taking bottle

They (whoever they are) usually say 6 weeks for bottles etc to avoid nipple confusion, but honestly I think unless you’re giving very frequent bottles (as in more than half of feeds) it won’t be an issue at all. If you have a Hakkaa you could use that to build a stash in the freezer, and as you do it while feeding from the other side and it isn’t an Active pump it wouldn’t stimulate supply in quite the same way.
I think for occasional use pumping now should be fine without causing too many issues.
thank you so much. Your advice is always brill and you always share your knowledge🥰

I’ve just started pumping at 6 weeks and it is going really well. Husband now does a late night feed 🥳🥳🥳 no issue with baby taking bottle
ah good to know. Thank you. I’m dying for a few extra hours sleep so lovely to know it can work

• Heart
thank you so much. Your advice is always brill and you always share your knowledge🥰

ah good to know. Thank you. I’m dying for a few extra hours sleep so lovely to know it can work

I’ve got a Lansinoh pump. It comes with two bottles. He wouldn’t take these at all even though they’re meant to have a special teat that is meant to be breast like- tried a Mam bottle and he took it straight away x

Don't feel TV shame, sometimes you've just gotta put it on for an hour (or two 😅) for a break or to get tit done! Hey Bear Sensory on YouTube has been a lifesaver and it's not half as annoying as most of the kids tit on there!
My little girl loves hey bear. 20 mins of that, means I can enjoy a hot cup of coffee after the school run. It’s pure bliss!!

Reactions: 4
I’ve pumped since day 5 (day 13 now) and I think we got really lucky that she accepted breast and bottle straight away. She does love her milk though so I think she doesn’t care what it comes out of 😄 I usually pump once maybe twice a day to keep a good stock in the fridge as I use a bottle if we’re out anywhere

I’ve recently discovered Hey Bear and it’s saved my life :LOL: makes such a difference having that free time to get stuff done without baby clinging to you! My MIL looked after LO yesterday afternoon and I still had dancing vegetables on the TV in the background for a good 30 mins after she’d left😅

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I’ve recently discovered Hey Bear and it’s saved my life :LOL: makes such a difference having that free time to get stuff done without baby clinging to you! My MIL looked after LO yesterday afternoon and I still had dancing vegetables on the TV in the background for a good 30 mins after she’d left😅
I like the one with classical music, makes me feel like it’s slightly better for her 😂 quite often half an hour has passed while she’s feeding/asleep and I realise I’m still watching dancing fruits - glad it’s not just me😂

• Haha
We have tried swaddling tonight for the first time, after two awful nights where she was up every single hour 🙃. The initial swaddle was great, she lasted 2.5 hours but since then she’s worked out how to get one of her arms free and is flailing again 😂 HELP

• Heart
We have tried swaddling tonight for the first time, after two awful nights where she was up every single hour 🙃. The initial swaddle was great, she lasted 2.5 hours but since then she’s worked out how to get one of her arms free and is flailing again 😂 HELP
Swaddle bags 👌 the love to dream one is great

• Heart
I like the one with classical music, makes me feel like it’s slightly better for her 😂 quite often half an hour has passed while she’s feeding/asleep and I realise I’m still watching dancing fruits - glad it’s not just me😂
My baby girl loves the birthday party fruit one. The music on there is so catchy, the 5 strawberries dancing in a line and like nodding gets me moving every time 😂😂😂

I have to rant, so please excuse me. Since baby girl was about 8 weeks old we’ve been going to a music class local to me which has been lovely. Yesterday I turned up 20 mins early as I’d walked there (3 miles and totally misjudged how long it would take) when I got there the woman said to me wow you’re early so I said yes I know I’m sorry I’ll sit in reception and feed her and things first. Went to do that and then about 10 mins before class was starting she said come into the class. I follow the company on Facebook and this morning they’ve put up a ‘polite reminder’ which is clearly aimed at me!! I’m so annoyed and I think it’s so unprofessional. Booking is opening at 8pm tonight for the next block of 7 classes which I was happily going to pay £42 to attend. Not now I’m not!!! I’m so close to sending them a message but I thought I’d vent on here instead. Am I being overly sensitive here? X

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
My baby girl loves the birthday party fruit one. The music on there is so catchy, the 5 strawberries dancing in a line and like nodding gets me moving every time 😂😂😂

I have to rant, so please excuse me. Since baby girl was about 8 weeks old we’ve been going to a music class local to me which has been lovely. Yesterday I turned up 20 mins early as I’d walked there (3 miles and totally misjudged how long it would take) when I got there the woman said to me wow you’re early so I said yes I know I’m sorry I’ll sit in reception and feed her and things first. Went to do that and then about 10 mins before class was starting she said come into the class. I follow the company on Facebook and this morning they’ve put up a ‘polite reminder’ which is clearly aimed at me!! I’m so annoyed and I think it’s so unprofessional. Booking is opening at 8pm tonight for the next block of 7 classes which I was happily going to pay £42 to attend. Not now I’m not!!! I’m so close to sending them a message but I thought I’d vent on here instead. Am I being overly sensitive here? X

I’d feel the same as you- it’s impossible to arrive bang on time with a baby. I’m either early or late! I could understand it if the whole class had arrived early and caused a fuss!

It’s so hard to do them tight enough. We have Velcro swaddles and he normally ends up with an arm out!

Finn literally refuses to be swaddled in the traditional way. He manages to break free like the hulk every time. However, we couldn’t get through the night without the love to dream arms up swaddle. He likes his arms above his head and this swaddles him for comfort but his arms are up rather than wrapped up. Do you think your little girl might prefer that too?

If you put him down and he wakes up again, do you keep trying to put him down or just let him stay on your chest? My LO is 8 weeks and wakes up pretty much every time I put her down in the day, so I'll pick her up and get her back to sleep on me and then try and put her down again. It usually takes a good 2 or 3 goes but eventually she will stay in her moses basket!
I do try a couple of times but it gets frustrating and I just want him to sleep so I end up giving up. You’re right I should keep trying. Will do that today and see how we go.

No I can see why you’re miffed, especially as you were happy to sit in reception. (And you’re a hero for walking!)
But they may have lots of people doing it, and who ever wrote the post may have been having a bad day. If it’s possible to comment maybe you could gently make the point that with a small baby it’s very hard to arrive exactly on time, and is waiting in reception OK?
I’m sure that would come across as a reasonable request. You are paying after all 🤨

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.