New baby and post birth advice #28 being a mum is the best present I could have ever wished for

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks ladies, I’ll show them the app tomorrow. You’ll hear from me in the morning either fuming or everything is fine 😂😂

Reactions: 6
Thank you. I can’t really complain, we’re having renovations done to our house so we’re very lucky to be able to do that. It’s something that’s been planned since we moved in but we really should have considered the timings more with me on mat leave seeing as it’s going to wipe all our savings and then some!
Oh that would definitely have me in a panic as well. I like having a safety net of savings (and know I’m lucky to be able to have that!) and when you have to dive in to it it isn’t a nice feeling at all (let alone having to wipe it out) Hopefully once You are back at work you can start filling the savings pot back up again x

Reactions: 1
We have our 8 week jabs tomorrow. I’m nervous even though Baby Rita had cannulas, IV lines, needles and all sorts done to her when she was in hospital! Anyone have any tips or what should I expect?
They are all different but she will likely scream for a bit when the jabs are done but mine have usually stopped crying by about 2 minutes later when we leave the building. Get calpol in straight away and do at least one more dose after 4 hours (do a third dose if you want and the timings work) as it helps to reduce the risk of a high fever from the MenB.
She might be sleepy or unsettled or just totally normal but mine have never been out of sorts for long 😊

• Heart
Not baby related and feel free to skip it. I need to vent 😂
Currently super emotional at the thought of my 4yo starting school 😂

Also feel guilty that I didn't feel the same way when my 9yo started.
Before my 9yo started school, we were in a completely different place financially. Although we don't have loads now, we had hardly anything then. Both me and my partner lost our jobs at the same time. (we both worked for the same company which is how we met) and the company made over half the staff redundant. I also didn't drive then either.
So when my son started, we'd never been on holiday. We rarely went on days out. Only ever to parks we could walk to ect.
But since then, I've got a car, both worked inbetween kids ect. Managed to go on holidays and weekly swimming with the 2 youngest (9yo goes with school) I refuse to go in the school holidays. I can't cope with kids everywhere 😂

One simple thing has set me off that I didn't realise the last time we went swimming would be the last time in our weekly routine. We caught Covid and then I was ill too after that and by that time, school holidays started. 😂

We've been away a few times and taken the 9yo out of school for the week (naughty naughty 😂) but don't want to do that now she's just starting and he's getting into his last years.

So now I just feel like I'm losing all freedom with the kids 😂
And it sounds so silly 😂 especially as he's already in school but our life has changed so much between Oakley starting and Ivy starting!

Even more so that I feel like she's missed out on 2 years of life before school because of Covid and lockdown!
Ugh 😂
I don’t have an older but my 4yo is starting school in September too and I’m finding this aspect really hard. Also the thought of having nice days out without him as I’ve got 2 others at home that need entertaining? And having to go on days out actually in the holidays (I’m the same and hide during all school holidays generally 😂) it makes me so emotional! And as you say, feel like I missed out on so much with him during the pandemic, all stuff I’ll be able to do with my 2.5yo and baby. I’m really excited for O to go to school as he’s excited but the loss of freedom for us will be massive 😩 solidarity hug x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
We have our 8 week jabs tomorrow. I’m nervous even though Baby Rita had cannulas, IV lines, needles and all sorts done to her when she was in hospital! Anyone have any tips or what should I expect?
It’s over so quickly.
It’s a jab in the leg & some oral stuff.
Mine cried for a little bit and then was a bit groggy and whingy for about 48 hours. Calpol every 4 hours and lots of cuddles. She was also quite sleepy.
It’s understandable you’re going to be nervous but it’s over so quick honest! 💕

• Heart
The mum guilt is so high today.
Last summer holidays were our last holidays as a family of 3 and we promised the boy once I started maternity we'd have so much fun, only that was cancelled once we found out twin 2 was unwell & I needed to deliver.
This summer holidays just feels like such a washout already and we're only on day 2.
It's so hard to leave the house with the twins when it's just me. It's impossible finding something that all 3 of them can enjoy and where I can keep all 3 of them safe at the same time without all of our home comforts.
We don't have the luxury of friends or family helping, and it's set in today that he's going into year 5 in September, we've only got like 2 more summer holidays max where hell want to be with us. I know he's not bothered, he adores his sisters, but I remember the fun I had as a child and I just feel guilty he won't have those memories for a few more years yet.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Oh that would definitely have me in a panic as well. I like having a safety net of savings (and know I’m lucky to be able to have that!) and when you have to dive in to it it isn’t a nice feeling at all (let alone having to wipe it out) Hopefully once You are back at work you can start filling the savings pot back up again x
Yeah that’s what I’m hoping too. Hope you had a lovely weekend away! X

My milk supply seems off (haven’t started with the Haakaa) and Baby Bluebird seems to be having none of it, literally & figuratively— nearly bit my nipple off
earlier, at 3 weeks old.

I have so much milk from like 2 am to 12pm, like A LOT. And she gets super hungry starting around 4or 5pm until 9pm, and drinks every hour, both boobs. Last night I gave up and gave formula because she wouldn’t settle and seemed so hungry. Drank a lot and went straight to sleep. Same thing again tonight— eating constantly, eating the boob that is, and super restless. We gave her 100+ml of breast milk and she seems settled and asleep now. My boobs feel so deflated during these afternoon/evening feedings that I’m starting to get worried she’s not actually getting anything when she drinks and that coupled with settling last night and tonight (and being super restless) I’m worried about my supply at the end of the day. It’s almost as id I dry up in the afternoon and early evening.

I should still be producing, right?

I’m going to give the lactation consultant a call tomorrow, and we’re also going to the walk in hours at the pediatrician so I’ll talk to them as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My milk supply seems off (haven’t started with the Haakaa) and Baby Bluebird seems to be having none of it, literally & figuratively— nearly bit my nipple off
earlier, at 3 weeks old.

I have so much milk from like 2 am to 12pm, like A LOT. And she gets super hungry starting around 4or 5pm until 9pm, and drinks every hour, both boobs. Last night I gave up and gave formula because she wouldn’t settle and seemed so hungry. Drank a lot and went straight to sleep. Same thing again tonight— eating constantly, eating the boob that is, and super restless. We gave her 100+ml of breast milk and she seems settled and asleep now. My boobs feel so deflated during these afternoon/evening feedings that I’m starting to get worried she’s not actually getting anything when she drinks and that coupled with settling last night and tonight (and being super restless) I’m worried about my supply at the end of the day. It’s almost as id I dry up in the afternoon and early evening.

I’m going to give the lactation consultant a call tomorrow, and we’re also going to the walk in hours at the pediatrician so I’ll talk to them as well.
You are absolutely producing, it may feel like there's nothing there but there will be exactly what she needs!
The whole feeding every hour and the restlessness is her telling your body what she needs tomorrow and shes putting her order in so to speak. It sounds like she is cluster feeding, this is totally natural (and exhausting) for her age but it's how she helps your supply establish! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
earlier, at 3 weeks old.

Give the lactation consultant a call for reassurance but honestly that sounds really normal, your milk production is highest at night, mine always felt full until the afternoon even with baby feeding well/a lot throughout the day, but they do often get fussy in the late afternoon/evening and feed a lot (look at the witching hour) and even though your boobs feel empty they're not, I think it's something like only 70--80% of milk is removed from them even when they're "fully drained" and then they will constantly be making more, especially if she's feeding a lot.

It is hard going but what you've described is totally normal third trimester behaviour and will likely settle down of its own accord, you don't need to doubt your milk, you've got this 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 5
earlier, at 3 weeks old.

Sounds normal to me I think, they go through phases of cluster feeding that coincides with growth spurts and after a few hours non stop feeding they feel completely empty, but there’s always stuff there, it just takes more effort to get it out (as in, if you’re producing milk in the morning, you’ll produce it in the evening too it just might be more hard work for them to feed because they’re not full to bursting!). Defo worth mentioning to the LC if you’re worried though ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
earlier, at 3 weeks old.

I can only echo what the others have said - this is totally normal breastfeeding behaviour (as long as she is gaining weight, and having plenty of wet and dirty nappies).
Babies often cluster feed in the evening as it is when they “put in their order” for more milk. Your milk is like a river rather than a jug - your boobs don’t empty completely. They always have milk flowing through them, just sometimes that milk flows more than others. Even when your breast “feel” empty they aren’t. And actually when they feel empty and your baby is feeding that’s actually when they are producing most to try and meet the demand.

3 weeks can be a growth spurt, and your milk supply is still regulating. Of course you can always give formula if you like, but by doing so (and then missing feeds) it will signal your breasts not to make as much milk. If you can, for the next few days, snuggle up with her - lots of skin to skin - and feed on demand as much as you can ❤

The mum guilt is so high today.
Last summer holidays were our last holidays as a family of 3 and we promised the boy once I started maternity we'd have so much fun, only that was cancelled once we found out twin 2 was unwell & I needed to deliver.
This summer holidays just feels like such a washout already and we're only on day 2.
It's so hard to leave the house with the twins when it's just me. It's impossible finding something that all 3 of them can enjoy and where I can keep all 3 of them safe at the same time without all of our home comforts.
We don't have the luxury of friends or family helping, and it's set in today that he's going into year 5 in September, we've only got like 2 more summer holidays max where hell want to be with us. I know he's not bothered, he adores his sisters, but I remember the fun I had as a child and I just feel guilty he won't have those memories for a few more years yet.
You are probably giving him so many more happy memories than you realise. Time with his sisters is something he will always remember ❤ It’s great to have big days out, or do loads of cool activities, but don’t underestimate how much just simple time together is just as important.
I know the feeling of trying to get activities for all age groups, that is definitely tough going.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My next door neighbours have their baby grandson staying with them who is around the same age. Obvs with it being hot and windows/doors open etc I keep hearing that baby and thinking it’s one of mine 😅. The monitor in their room is even picking up his cries occasionally. So buzzing for guess which baby is crying during the night 😂. (I’m sure they’re having the same issue with us).

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My next door neighbours have their baby grandson staying with them who is around the same age. Obvs with it being hot and windows/doors open etc I keep hearing that baby and thinking it’s one of mine 😅. The monitor in their room is even picking it up occasionally. So buzzing for guess which baby is crying throughout the night 😂. (I’m sure they’re having the same issue with us).
We have this constantly.
Next door has 2 sets of twins. 2 year olds and 5 year olds. And crying is constant 😂
Constantly thinking its one of mine 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
We have this constantly.
Next door has 2 sets of twins. 2 year olds and 5 year olds. And crying is constant 😂
Constantly thinking its one of mine 😂
It’s head f*ck 😂😅. I mean I hear phantom cries when I’m in the shower but tonight I think I was actually hearing a real baby for once!

ps- think you’ve mentioned before but oh dear lord 2 sets of twins 💀

Reactions: 6
It’s head f*ck 😂😅. I mean I hear phantom cries when I’m in the shower but tonight I think I was actually hearing a real baby for once!

ps- think you’ve mentioned before but oh dear lord 2 sets of twins 💀
She's a single Mum as well. Rarely hear her raise her voice either 😂
🤯

• Wow
Reactions: 7
We were doing well up until like day 3 or 4, now day 20 and we have have gone totally backwards!
They are chill by day, but literally by night there are each fussy from about 8pm until 6am and getting absolute zero sleep!
Not quite sure how to manage them at the moment... my husband has his own gardening business and obviously needs his sleep to go to work and earn, but then I get less than 2 hours from when he comes down at 3am until like 5-6am.

Not gonna lie, we are struggling ... we also have a really out of control 3.5 year old who was tricky before babies arrival but it's like this has made him snap and he has just lost the plot... so that has been really difficult.
We were given a TAF last week which I believe is a team around the family , but all takes time to get the ball rolling.

Sorry , way longer message than I'd intended!
I'm behind, but I want to say we had a similar night-grumpy baby. It may have been a coincidence, but we found making a clear distinction between day and night helped. So he slept downstairs during the day and "slept" upstairs in our room at night (this room was always dark when he was in it) and made sure we got outside as much as possible to help the sunlight tell him it's day time.

He's never been a great sleeper, but you'll be amazed at what you can cope with.

Hope the TAF is useful

Tbh, based on seeing them out on the street and in the garden, I think the secret is that she let's them run the house 😂

Think I would've admitted defeat too tbh 😂😂
duck😂
Back to silently screeching no and kind hands 30 times a day then😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.