New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Might be a stupid question but got 8 week jabs coming up soon and want to put baby in an outfit that I don't have to faff around with afterwards when I'm sure there'll be tears. How far up the thigh are the jabs given? Can I just put baby in loose short dungarees so the fabric can just be pushed up rather than having to take anything off? Also any other tips? Got infant calpol at the ready.
If your 8 week appointment is the same as here they do a full paediatric check as well, which involves stripping them down naked (so hips can be checked) so whatever you have on will be off. But I definitely had my son in just a short romper for one set and pushed it up. The crying is very short lived.

Might be a stupid question but got 8 week jabs coming up soon and want to put baby in an outfit that I don't have to faff around with afterwards when I'm sure there'll be tears. How far up the thigh are the jabs given? Can I just put baby in loose short dungarees so the fabric can just be pushed up rather than having to take anything off? Also any other tips? Got infant calpol at the ready.
As @Definitelyme said. Depends where you are too. If you're in the UK it'll just be in for jabs and out. If not, then it may be different 😊

We had our 8 weeks jabs today! Dressed her in a sleepsuit - she had her GP appointment first where they basically redid the newborn examination so I had to take her sleepsuit off. Then went back into the waiting room and into see a nurse so put her back in the sleepsuit. When it was time for the jabs, which go at the top of each thigh on the outside, I just took her legs out. She screamed for 30 seconds after each jab, and then zonked out for an hour. I gave her calpol just before we went in, and so far she’s been fine. Woke up for a feed and is now asleep again. Honestly think it was worse for me than her 😂

Reactions: 3
I'm not a fan of the 8,12 and 16 week jabs but I can do them fine because I know they don't know anything. But the 1 year old ones and further on ones.. Nope 😂 I can't do it. I have to get their Dad or someone else to take them.

• Haha
Thanks all, no the appointment is just jabs, the other checks were done by GP at the 6 week appointment.

Oh right so should I give calpol just before? Was planning on giving it just after?

I’ve got our 12 week ones on Friday. I put him in a romper for the 8 week ones (side note: I’m sad that summer is coming to an end as I love baby boys in rompers 🥺). Dad held him while I pathetically cried 😂 but he stopped crying before we even left the dr office. He did have one outburst that day but apart from that and a little temperature he was fine.

We gave Calpol after and put it in a bottle teat for him to suck as the syringe just splurges out all at once!

Thanks all, no the appointment is just jabs, the other checks were done by GP at the 6 week appointment.

Oh right so should I give calpol just before? Was planning on giving it just after?
I was always told not to give it before. So I give it after.
But I've seen a lot of people say they give it before

Reactions: 1
I had a call yesterday from the Head of Midwifery at the hospital about my PALS complaint just asking if they can have another week or so to respond, I said that’s totally fine.

She mentioned that they accidentally gave the wrong midwife a right telling off following my complaint 😂🙈 apparently the midwife was so confused and had no idea wtf they were talking about. She was actually one of the decent ones during my care on the postnatal ward!

They’ve since told off the actual crappy one after they got me to clarify.

I’m glad they seem to be taking my complaint seriously though. If anyone is in two minds to complain about any care, I’d 100% recommend you to.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I had a call yesterday from the Head of Midwifery at the hospital about my PALS complaint just asking if they can have another week or so to respond, I said that’s totally fine.

She mentioned that they accidentally gave the wrong midwife a right telling off following my complaint 😂🙈 apparently the midwife was so confused and had no idea wtf they were talking about. She was actually one of the decent ones during my care on the postnatal ward!

I’m glad they seem to be taking my complaint seriously though. If anyone is in two minds to complain about any care, I’d 100% recommend you to.
Oh that poor midwife 😂
At least they got the right one in the end though!

My midwife said before, and the health visitor said after. Half my friends gave it before and half gave it after 😂 I ended up giving it before in case she was so upset I couldn’t get her to take it but it would have been fine

ETA: it’s apparently the meningitis that gives them the temperature and makes them feel bad, sofor the jabs that aren’t menB my midwife said to wait until after to see if she actually needs it but for the ones with menB she’d likely needit so to give it before - hope that makes sense, feel like I’ve made a hash of explaining 😂

Reactions: 2

That poor midwife 🙈🙈🤣🤣 I am so delighted for you how well they have dealt with it all, and that you are happy with it too.

And YES to baby rompers. I absolutely adore them! I’m gutted that next summer is probably the last summer I’ll have with them 😭 potty training and anything that doesn’t pull down (or up with a dress!) is just a no go and I’m devastated!

• Heart
That poor midwife 🙈🙈🤣🤣 I am so delighted for you how well they have dealt with it all, and that you are happy with it too.

And YES to baby rompers. I absolutely adore them! I’m gutted that next summer is probably the last summer I’ll have with them 😭 potty training and anything that doesn’t pull down (or up with a dress!) is just a no go and I’m devastated!
What sort of weather do you stick with rompers? When it was super hot we had her in a nappy because she was too hot, but now it feels too cold (20degrees ish) for rompers. I have so many and want her in them before autumn (priorities 🙄😂) but I can’t get to grips with what to dress her in for what temperature 😬

What sort of weather do you stick with rompers? When it was super hot we had her in a nappy because she was too hot, but now it feels too cold (20degrees ish) for rompers. I have so many and want her in them before autumn (priorities 🙄😂) but I can’t get to grips with what to dress her in for what temperature 😬
I had her in a romper when it was like 28.
But as you say.. Now it's 20ish..it feels too cold. So the ones I have are just sitting there.
She hasn't even worn them all. (there's only 4) 😂 now I'm thinking I won't have enough time!

I had her in a romper when it was like 28.
But as you say.. Now it's 20ish..it feels too cold. So the ones I have are just sitting there.
She hasn't even worn them all. (there's only 4) 😂 now I'm thinking I won't have enough time!
Haha I’ve just gone through and counted and we have 3 up to 1 month and 12 0-3 months 😱 I don’t even remember buying them all, pretty sure our families all gave them as gifts! Luckily she still fits in 0-1 month clothes (althoughnot sleepsuits) and the 0-3 month clothes are still too big but I think the weather will turn before I can get her in them 😂

Haha I’ve just gone through and counted and we have 3 up to 1 month and 12 0-3 months 😱 I don’t even remember buying them all, pretty sure our families all gave them as gifts! Luckily she still fits in 0-1 month clothes (althoughnot sleepsuits) and the 0-3 month clothes are still too big but I think the weather will turn before I can get her in them 😂
Haha 😂
Mine are all 3-6 month so she fits fine but I just can't see the weather getting any warmer to wear them.

The ones she hasn't worn are from family and from Next as well and they're lovely! 😑
Maybe I can put some tights under and a cardigan over and not care what she looks like 😂 at least she can wear it

• Haha
WARNING; talk of traumatic & distressing birth

A few of you are aware of my situation on here &
I finally received my report from the serious incident following my traumatic birth.

Was a tough read, it took me 2 hours to read it. I kind of feel none the wiser cause a lot of it is medical abbreviations. I know a few from working within the NHS but a lot of them I had to google. Think I might read it again to make more sense of it
I think reading before bed was a bad idea too

It was the worst feeling ever having to relive everything from start to finish!
I was unaware that I’d lost 2.3litres of blood, it says in my maternity notes that id lost 750ml so that was a shock! Also between knife to skin & baby being born was 2 minutes!!!
He didn’t start breathing for a whole 12 minutes, all while I was under anaesthetic.
i can’t really get my head around it all tbh, it was heartbreaking to read that I came close to death twice, and they battled to save my baby for that long!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@LilyRose1234 and @WhatABore 20C is hot here 🤣🤣 I have him in a romper atm, and me and the kids are all in shorts and t shirts (weather forecast says it’s 22C but it’s sunny too so feels a bit warmer I’d say). I’d always rather them be a bit chilly than too warm and can always stick a vest under them if needed. And with girls you could pop little tights on too if it was cooler?

I finally received my report from the serious incident following my traumatic birth.

Was a tough read, it took me 2 hours to read it. I kind of feel none the wiser cause a lot of it is medical abbreviations. I know a few from working within the NHS but a lot of them I had to google. Think I might read it again to make more sense of it

I was unaware that I’d lost 2.3litres of blood, it says in my maternity notes that id lost 750ml so that was a shock! Also between knife to skin & baby being born was 2 minutes!!!
He didn’t start breathing for a whole 12 minutes, all while I was under anaesthetic.
i can’t really get my head around it all tbh, it was heartbreaking to read that I came close to death twice, and they battled to save my baby for that long!
Oh my gosh, that must have been a horrendous read for you ❤ Hopefully though, given time, knowing the true details of all that happened can help you start to make sense of everything. X

@LilyRose1234 and @WhatABore 20C is hot here 🤣🤣 I have him in a romper atm, and me and the kids are all in shorts and t shirts (weather forecast says it’s 22C but it’s sunny too so feels a bit warmer I’d say). I’d always rather them be a bit chilly than too warm and can always stick a vest under them if needed. And with girls you could pop little tights on too if it was cooler?

Oh my gosh, that must have been a horrendous read for you ❤ Hopefully though, given time, knowing the true details of all that happened can help you start to make sense of everything. X
It's 20 today but I swear 20 now we've been having 30s every so often, feels cold 😂
I usually hate any heat.
It was 23 the other day, let my 3 year old go in her paddling pool and she wanted to get out after half an hour because she was shivering and her lips went purple 😂

• Haha
Did anyone's babies have the 4 month sleep regression? Keep reading on Instagram about it from these sleep consultants and absolutely dreading it. LO is 3 month and sleeps generally well at night at the moment!
Yes we definitely did.. he wasn't a great sleeper but would sleep for 3 hour stretches. About 4.5 months he went to waking literally every 45 mins, we had hourly wakes for about 9 weeks when I finally broke and did some sleep training. He doesn't sleep through the night now ( not sure he ever will, but that wasn't the aim when we did it) but taught him to put himself back to sleep after every sleep cycle, I was desperate for a stretch of sleep that was longer than an hour.

She just has all the classic symptoms. Fusses during a feed, hard to settle and when she does settle it’s when one of us is holding her, sounds like she’s being sick but nothing comes up and then she pulls a face like she’s just tasted something horrible, frequent hiccups, goes rigid and arches her back during feeding.. the list goes on! Strangely she is fine during the night (12am-6am usually) but the hours between that are hell!
Yes my baby has had it since about 3 weeks old. On omeprazole for it and have been for a while - we are attempting to wean them off it. GPs are very reluctant to prescribe it as it's almost £100 a bottle. It's very common for them to be ok in the night time as their digestive system switches off and then gets going again about 4am.. hence lots of grunting in the night, there's something called the acid dump.
My little one would scream and bring up clear liquid at times, was awful. Huge fight with the GP over it.

My HV suggested little and often feeds for my daughter instead of her usual 6oz every few hours to see if it helps with reflux. She said she shouldn't take more than 4oz and if she's still hungry an hour later to top her up with a little milk. How do I try distract her for that hour between giving her more feeds? She just cries because she's hungry and I feel like it's really unfair doing this but I'm stuck because it is helping her having a break between feeds
My health visitor said this too and I thought it was bullshit. Sorry 🙈 I don’t know if it’s your thing but we took my baby to a cranial osteopath for 2 sessions and it made SUCH a difference. I know it’s not for everyone but we literally had a different baby afterwards x

How awful for you 😖 really sorry that you’ve had to relive it all again. Sorry to seem silly but what do you do now? Are you having a debrief or was that what that was?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.