New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had our 12 week jab today, he’s been on the boob pretty much ever since! Tried to go outside for a walk just now but he was inconsolable. So now we’re back in bed, lying down side feeding him and hoping he drifts off for a bit. Probably gonna be here all day!
Sometimes boob is the only answer and post jabs seems to be one of them

• Heart
Reactions: 4
duck me! I thought the 12 week jabs weren't supposed to be as bad as the 8 and 16 week ones!

He’s non-stopped cried for the past two hours. Tried to give him some Calpol to see if that would help with anything, he doesn’t have a temperature, but he just spat it out and was hysterical. He started to reject my boob, so gave him 5oz of expressed milk in the fridge, it was all I had, guzzled that and was still hysterical. He’s decided he does like my boob now and has finally nodded off. 😰 He’s never been like this. The 8 week jabs didn’t phase him at all compared to this.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Just dropping by to say hi now I’ve graduated to this thread (and now have loads of time on my hands trapped under a sleeping baby 🤣). Baby biscuit was born early yesterday morning and we’ve just about survived the first full day at home! Tbh all my pregnancy anxieties have now been transferred to baby ones (typical!) - I’m just staring at her constantly checking she’s still breathing and worrying her skin looks the wrong colour or she’s too hot or making funny noises 😬 I’m hoping this will get easier as we get into the swing of things!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just dropping by to say hi now I’ve graduated to this thread (and now have loads of time on my hands trapped under a sleeping baby 🤣). Baby biscuit was born early yesterday morning and we’ve just about survived the first full day at home! Tbh all my pregnancy anxieties have now been transferred to baby ones (typical!) - I’m just staring at her constantly checking she’s still breathing and worrying her skin looks the wrong colour or she’s too hot or making funny noises 😬 I’m hoping this will get easier as we get into the swing of things!
It does get easier! I'm only 6 week in but my anxiety the first few weeks was sky high but starting to relax now. Congrats again!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It definitely gets easier! Enjoy allllllll the snuggles 🥰

• Heart
The anxiety definitely eases ❤ It’s bloody scary having a new baby at home for the first time. I remember thinking "are they letting us take this baby home? With no supervision?"😂
how are you feeling , other than anxious?

• Heart
Oh I love hearing about the new babies! Take allllll the pictures and little videos, I wish I'd done more.
I've found it does get a bit easier when they get a bit more robust. The first month I think I googled every single observation - "is it normal for baby to...."
In case they come up for you too, bowed legs, flat wide belly, discharge, swelling and vernix around the bits, skin shedding, losing hair, clammy feet, cross eyes, mottled skin are, apparently, all completely normal 🥵
I wish I knew this before!! We also had stork mark birth marks all over (faded/fading now) and a thing where the skin around her lips and nose would go properly blue - newborns are mental and no one tells you! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The anxiety definitely eases ❤ It’s bloody scary having a new baby at home for the first time. I remember thinking "are they letting us take this baby home? With no supervision?"😂
how are you feeling , other than anxious?
Thank you all! Yeah it’s all very overwhelming but I’m trying to trust my instincts vs relax a bit which is hard after giving birth and not having much sleep.

I’m feeling okay otherwise thanks ☺ A bit sore and my milk has come in already which I was not prepared for! Also baby B will not settle in her basket so husband and I are sleeping in shifts. I’m a bit too anxious to think about co sleeping atm, but going to persevere and try put her in there as much as poss to get her used to it!

Oh I love hearing about the new babies! Take allllll the pictures and little videos, I wish I'd done more.
I've found it does get a bit easier when they get a bit more robust. The first month I think I googled every single observation - "is it normal for baby to...."
In case they come up for you too, bowed legs, flat wide belly, discharge, swelling and vernix around the bits, skin shedding, losing hair, clammy feet, cross eyes, mottled skin are, apparently, all completely normal 🥵
I wish I knew this before!! We also had stork mark birth marks all over (faded/fading now) and a thing where the skin around her lips and nose would go properly blue - newborns are mental and no one tells you! 😂
ahh the blue skin thing happened today! I didn’t dare google it 😂 thankfully it came and went quite quickly! The freezing cold hands and feet also freak me out too - I don’t know how babies put up with that!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This is so true, there’s so many things! My little boy was born with Mongolian blue spots and my husband was like WHY IS HIS BUM BRUISED?! fortunately I was born with them too so knew about them. Just very random as I am white British and they are more common in Asian/African descent I believe 🤷🏻‍♀️
Also didn’t know about stork Marks! And he had an umbilical hernia which honestly made me feel queasy, if I pushed it, it felt all smushy like there was water in it 🤢 then as if by magic, woke up one morning and his bellybutton was competely
Back to normal. Bonkers!

• Heart
This is so true, there’s so many things! My little boy was born with Mongolian blue spots and my husband was like WHY IS HIS BUM BRUISED?! fortunately I was born with them too so knew about them. Just very random as I am white British and they are more common in Asian/African descent I believe 🤷🏻‍♀️
Also didn’t know about stork Marks! And he had an umbilical hernia which honestly made me feel queasy, if I pushed it, it felt all smushy like there was water in it 🤢 then as if by magic, woke up one morning and his bellybutton was competely
Back to normal. Bonkers!
I'm white and my eldest is white, his father is Irish and Polish. And he has a Mongolian blue spot on his inner thigh. It looked like a bruise and midwife assumed it must have been some sort of Birth trauma and would fade, but it never did and grew with him, everything indicated it was a Mongolian blue spot except him being a white child.

Years later when he was about 5, he had to have a full medical, which involved having no clothes on. I had a doctor look at me with disbelief when she asked me how he "obtained a bruise like that in such a place" and even called another doctor in for a second opinion when I said it's a birth mark. After some confusion, they did indeed confirm it was a Mongolian blue spot and it was very rare in white children. I thought I was about to get social services 😂

Back to normal. Bonkers!
Yes! Umbilical hernia. My little one didn't have a bad one, just a diagonal lump under her belly button but some look so bad yet are harmless. How common must it be that we've both experienced it in some way but you don't get warned about it?!
Breast tissue too is another I forgot. I don't know if it's just little girls but they can have sort of lumps under the nipples. It's particularly difficult if you have concerns around their genitals or breasts because it's not something you want to google.
Lymph nodes in the neck or back of the head you can sometimes feel also, that's another.
I'm one person with one baby, there just so any things that don't seem right but are totally normal!

Reactions: 1
I'm white and my eldest is white, his father is Irish and Polish. And he has a Mongolian blue spot on his inner thigh. It looked like a bruise and midwife assumed it must have been some sort of Birth trauma and would fade, but it never did and grew with him, everything indicated it was a Mongolian blue spot except him being a white child.

Years later when he was about 5, he had to have a full medical, which involved having no clothes on. I had a doctor look at me with disbelief when she asked me how he "obtained a bruise like that in such a place" and even called another doctor in for a second opinion when I said it's a birth mark. After some confusion, they did indeed confirm it was a Mongolian blue spot and it was very rare in white children. I thought I was about to get social services 😂
Oh how funny! My mum had something similar when I was a baby. The community midwife said “ where is baby’s dad from” and she said Nottingham. The midwife was like “no what’s his heritage?” Apparently she nearly fell off the chair when she found out he was white 😂

Yes! Umbilical hernia. My little one didn't have a bad one, just a diagonal lump under her belly button but some look so bad yet are harmless. How common must it be that we've both experienced it in some way but you don't get warned about it?!
Breast tissue too is another I forgot. I don't know if it's just little girls but they can have sort of lumps under the nipples. It's particularly difficult if you have concerns around their genitals or breasts because it's not something you want to google.
Lymph nodes in the neck or back of the head you can sometimes feel also, that's another.
I'm one person with one baby, there just so any things that don't seem right but are totally normal!
And people wonder why new mothers are anxious 😂 soooo many things that can seem odd about a baby but are usually fine

A little bit of magic occurring over here. Baby has been struggling with 3rd nap and only had about 6 mins yesterday. Obviously I googled and they suggested a slightly earlier bedtime to recoup some of the lost sleep. I put her to bed at 5.55 and she’s still asleep now at 6.37 (did wake at 1.45 for milk as usual) but this is the latest lie in we have had for WEEKS!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My baby is nearly 9 weeks and I feel like she favours my husband over me for certain things. When he holds her she's literally gazing at him all besotted and she smiles at him and makes proper eye contact. She also smiles properly at other people eg grandparents. Yet with me she seems to avoid eye contact and I don't get the smiles that others do even though I'm with her all day every day. Is this normal? Is it because she's bored with me because she does see me all the time? She's otherwise fine with me (cuddles, feeding, soothing etc) but it's the playfulness and smiles that I feel she reserves for everyone except me 😔

• Heart
My baby is nearly 9 weeks and I feel like she favours my husband over me for certain things. When he holds her she's literally gazing at him all besotted and she smiles at him and makes proper eye contact. She also smiles properly at other people eg grandparents. Yet with me she seems to avoid eye contact and I don't get the smiles that others do even though I'm with her all day every day. Is this normal? Is it because she's bored with me because she does see me all the time? She's otherwise fine with me (cuddles, feeding, soothing etc) but it's the playfulness and smiles that I feel she reserves for everyone except me 😔
I think it is normal
And I'm not sure if it's because they're used to us. They "know us" more.

I had this with my second. And I spent days crying that she didn't want me and didn't love me.
Happened again this time but i realised its probably a normal thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh that must feel so disheartening. Please don’t doubt that she adores you. Unfortunately I feel that sometimes mum are the workhorse with kids. We get all the crap, and then dads, grannies, Brenda down the road swoop in for five minutes and get all the smiles and fun. But remember we couldn’t possibly have that all day, because baby would be knackered smiling at us, and we’d be knackered because when the others swoop in, they are full of energy for that time, and we can’t sustain that. Does that make sense? Basically they just get the fun parts and we have to deal with it ALL.

your baby certainly isn’t bored with you, that isn’t even a possibility ❤ 9 weeks is still so tiny, and while It is disheartening that you don’t seem to get those smiles, I promise you have years ahead filled with smiles and laughter

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Same here, huge smiles for dad and big brothers and zero for me 🤣

Just thought I'd also add that my 3 year old is still like this 😂
Even when her Dad is the shouty one 😑
But I'm the one that does everything for them when their dad works. So he gets all the fun, smiles and "I want daddy" 😂

• Haha
All 4 of mine were like this much to my horror. Its actually a sign of healthy attachment though and that you’re bonded because they trust you enough that you’ll stick around and cater for their needs even if they completely ignore you and engage in other activities until they need you again. One of my children wouldn’t even call me mum for a very long time. I was Boob 😂 But you watch them when they hurt themselves or need comfort. Guess who they look immediately for. That trust they have that you’ll be right there IS the deepest love you can have with your child.
My eldest is 11, youngest just turned 1 and as far as I’m concerned I think they’re doing great and our relationships are great too. They’re independent, confident, but come and find me if they really need help. I did used to feel like I was maybe doing something horribly wrong or that my children hated me (it was NOT how I envisioned motherhood) but actually, couldn’t be happier with their progress. And I think they’re cool people too.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.