New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I completely understand the guidance but it doesn’t half make me feel inadequate that she just will not sleep how they recommend, not to mention the added stress of worrying about her while she’s sleeping 😬 That said, she’s just rolled herself onto her back quite happily, so it’s clearly only when I move her that she screams like the world is ending 🙄🤣 mum life got me worrying about everything 😂

Thank you! I was just at a point where we all needed some sleep and I guess it’s about balancing risks of side sleeping vs one very sleep deprived mumma!
Don’t feel inadequate! Babies can’t read, so they don’t know what the guidance says! They just sleep how they are comfy, same way we do. When I was pregnant I slept on my back a lot as it was comfy, even though not recommended. I know it’s worrying, and I definitely check my boy more often when he’s on his side/front, and sometimes wake up in a proper panic about him!

Reactions: 1
Mine still can’t roll over, he gets half way then just gets angry 😆
Those pesky shoulders can cause rolling issues! Never worry, my eldest didn’t roll until she was about 9 months and I was so worried about it, and I don’t remember any of the others rolling much at all. They all move fine now 🤣

Reactions: 2
Don’t feel inadequate! Babies can’t read, so they don’t know what the guidance says! They just sleep how they are comfy, same way we do. When I was pregnant I slept on my back a lot as it was comfy, even though not recommended. I know it’s worrying, and I definitely check my boy more often when he’s on his side/front, and sometimes wake up in a proper panic about him!
They just make it sound so simple - just pop them on their back by themselves in a cot - if only it was that easy! 😂 Yes she definitely had the best night sleep she’s had (11-6 with a quick 15 minute 3am feed!). I slept less well 😂😂

Those pesky shoulders can cause rolling issues! Never worry, my eldest didn’t roll until she was about 9 months and I was so worried about it, and I don’t remember any of the others rolling much at all. They all move fine now 🤣
That’s good to know! He only just started to enjoy tummy time recently so I’m hardly surprised! 😆

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but FTM here, but when do you start tummy time like on a play mat etc? I put him on his front when I law him on my chest, just wondering so I can know when to buy a play mat for him.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but FTM here, but when do you start tummy time like on a play mat etc? I put him on his front when I law him on my chest, just wondering so I can know when to buy a play mat for him.
We had a play mat from birth, i would put black and white sensory cards around it and he would look at them! We started tummy time from quite young, a few weeks old but only for super short periods of time. Like you say, on your chest, legs etc all count as tummy time, so technically you've already started!

Reactions: 3
Also FTM so not the expert, I started putting her on the playmat when she was about a week but tbh could just use a rug or a throw or something as she’s not interested in any of the cute playmat toys or anything! She does quite like looking in the little mirror though, the absolute poser

Putting him on your chest is tummy time too.
It can be anywhere 😊
They say to start straight away, on you ect.
Play mats normally say they're from 6 weeks.
I kept putting her on one at 4 weeks.
Most babies hate tummy time. So don't be surprised if he screams when you do put it down for tummy time. It doesn't need to be a long time either. Even 30 seconds or so at a time is good 😊

Thank you! I was just at a point where we all needed some sleep and I guess it’s about balancing risks of side sleeping vs one very sleep deprived mumma!
Absolutely.
They’re not recommended because they can cause complacency/risks but we have a breathing alarm and it’s gone a long way to save my anxiety around sleep. I see it as a second line, not a baby sitter of course and don’t think it’s made me more complacent. It’s the simplest type and the lullaby trust, while they don’t endorse it, they give them to parents that have experienced sids previously.

We had one from birth but tbh she wasn’t that fussed on it she’d have rather lay on our chests, she only started to really enjoy the mat around 4 months when she started playing with the toys etc

As the others have said, tummy time is from birth. BUT, my eldest 3 all hated it and hardly ever did it at all, and are totally fine.No 4 oddly loves it, so he’s down all the time on the floor, but until about 3 weeks ago (he is 3 months 1 week) he did it on me, on the bed or on the sofa so I could be at eye level with him. Also over my lap, and I carry him tummy down almost all the time. Now he can reach for toys he is happy down on the floor.

I have found this website helpful. It gives ideas for TT that aren’t floor time, and gives videos of what a “typical” baby will be doing in TT at a given age.

That’s good to know! He only just started to enjoy tummy time recently so I’m hardly surprised! 😆
As I said above, my first 3 all hated tummy time. It’s one area of parenting I have a lot of guilt around (how stupid!) as they didn’t get anywhere near enough because they just cried, so what’s a mum to do?!

im another one who didn’t really do tummy time with my first 🤷🏽‍♀️ i don’t really see the benefit of it tbh, my daughter sat around 5/6 months and doesn’t have any flat surfaces on her head

I don’t know anyone else around me who did it more than a couple of times.

im another one who didn’t really do tummy time with my first 🤷🏽‍♀️ i don’t really see the benefit of it tbh, my daughter sat around 5/6 months and doesn’t have any flat surfaces on her head

I don’t know anyone else around me who did it more than a couple of times.
I have never done specific tummy time. But I've always had them on me a lot of the time on their stomachs so I guess technically I did it.
I just never intentionally did it. Haven't this time either

I babywear and they always say that counts! Neither of my girls ever crawled, and I obviously blame myself and the lack of tummy time. And I have to say I can see the difference in doing lots with this fella. He is so much stronger, so much more able to move his body. But all my others are grand so it all evens out 🤣

I babywear and they always say that counts! Neither of my girls ever crawled, and I obviously blame myself and the lack of tummy time. And I have to say I can see the difference in doing lots with this fella. He is so much stronger, so much more able to move his body. But all my others are grand so it all evens out 🤣
That's interesting.. all my uncles and aunts always go on about how much times have changed, how they didn't know about tummy time back when we were all children!

I saw it as something to do in the early days, got me off the sofa playing with him/showing him things on the mat during the lockdown :ROFLMAO: they go on about tummy time all the time at local stay and plays and groups.

I'm a bit worried. I've had my first period since giving birth, it's 5 days now and not letting up at all. I'm bleeding heavily and passing clots (not bigger than a 50p),changing my pad every hour and still managed to bleed through my trousers 2 times today. I noticed last night one of the strings on my coil was hanging out a bit (approx 1.5inch), been getting bad cramps (put it down to first period after baby and forgot how brutal it is) and feeling so uncomfy below, sudden pain coming and going. Went to the toilet for the 2816638 time today and now 1 coil string is hanging out no joke about 7inches, and the other string is out about 1 inch.

Does anyone know if it's normal for this to happen during periods? I'm a bit worried now in case it's my body rejecting it 3months later. I got it inserted after my section, already had 1 string trimmed at the hosp when I had an infection and it came down then a week later the other came down and needed to get that trimmed. I'm due my smear in a week so was gonna get them to double check for me at that but now this has happened I'm a bit confused!!

I'm a bit worried. I've had my first period since giving birth, it's 5 days now and not letting up at all. I'm bleeding heavily and passing clots (not bigger than a 50p),changing my pad every hour and still managed to bleed through my trousers 2 times today. I noticed last night one of the strings on my coil was hanging out a bit (approx 1.5inch), been getting bad cramps (put it down to first period after baby and forgot how brutal it is) and feeling so uncomfy below, sudden pain coming and going. Went to the toilet for the 2816638 time today and now 1 coil string is hanging out no joke about 7inches, and the other string is out about 1 inch.

Does anyone know if it's normal for this to happen during periods? I'm a bit worried now in case it's my body rejecting it 3months later. I got it inserted after my section, already had 1 string trimmed at the hosp when I had an infection and it came down then a week later the other came down and needed to get that trimmed. I'm due my smear in a week so was gonna get them to double check for me at that but now this has happened I'm a bit confused!!
Sounds awful & I feel your pain on the bleeding a lot front. It’s horrific! I posted yesterday about having heavy bleeding, there was some really helpful replies if you wanted to go back and read.
As for the coil situation, it doesn’t sound like it’s secure enough? I’m no expert but I do t think it’s normal for the strings to be visible?
I would see a doctor/nurse asap, as it may cause more damage

I haven’t ever had a coil so can’t comment but the heavy bleeding would be concerning. I would ring your gp just to be safe.

That's interesting.. all my uncles and aunts always go on about how much times have changed, how they didn't know about tummy time back when we were all children!

I saw it as something to do in the early days, got me off the sofa playing with him/showing him things on the mat during the lockdown :ROFLMAO: they go on about tummy time all the time at local stay and plays and groups.
don’t they say they started the tummy time idea when they also started advising people to put babies on their back to sleep? So I guess it wasn’t a thing when we were little!
I must admit I always felt a bit embarrassed at baby groups when there are these kids super strong and wriggling about on their tummies, and my kids just face planted then screamed 🤣🤣🤣🤣

So I have a coil for the first time. My GP went through some things that are signs somethings not quite right, one being you shouldn’t be seeing strings, you should be able to feel them a few inches inside. Tthe second that it could be passed during a particularly heavy period and to check you can feel the strings when it’s finished.
I would make an urgent appointment to see your nurse/gp to have it looked At, period or no period. Also avoid any unprotected sex until you’ve been seen if you wish to not get pregnant.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.