New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m in south east London (Greenwich borough), there are loads of Better children’s centres nearby. Feel free to send me a message x

Reporting back from my Peanut date, it was actually really nice to get out and speak to a fellow mum with a baby of a similar age (she had a boy too, born 6 days apart at the same hospital!) We did a lap around the park then sat inside a cafe to feed our babies. Not awkward at all. Babies enjoyed staring at each other.

It was the first time I breastfed in public 😬 my boy did not appreciate a muslin over his head to help cover my modesty 😅 so I just was like ‘duck it, tits out!’
That’s great! I’m so glad you had a nice time, and well done on your first public feeding 👍🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This isn’t even funny any more. I’ve just put my 4 month old into a sleepsuit cause it’s a bit chillier and he’s virtually grown out of it. He’s swearing 6-9 months as it is 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Have any of you ever given a dummy really early? She's only 12 days but she's colicy and it's the only thing that seems to soothe her for a while 😫 I genuinely didn't know you could give them this early but I got one with a mam bottle that says suitable from birth.
Also giving infacol before each feed on advice of health visitor
I gave my first and second a dummy straight after we left the hospital. Helped settle them so much better.
This time, my daughter isn't a massive fan of them. When she does keep it in, she falls asleep so easy

• Heart
Have any of you ever given a dummy really early? She's only 12 days but she's colicy and it's the only thing that seems to soothe her for a while 😫 I genuinely didn't know you could give them this early but I got one with a mam bottle that says suitable from birth.
Also giving infacol before each feed on advice of health visitor
I did around 2 weeks, there’s so much dummy shaming and scaring (‘they’ll never be able to latch on your boob again!’) and I felt so guilty but it’s the best thing ever. He’s totally not reliant on it and spits it out most times but it does help soothe him.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I did around 2 weeks, there’s so much dummy shaming and scaring (‘they’ll never be able to latch on your boob again!’) and I felt so guilty but it’s the best thing ever. He’s totally not reliant on it and spits it out most times but it does help soothe him.
i agree.. I attended a new mums group online and they had a discussion point and one of the titles was dummies.. I was the only Mum there giving one and they kept going on about speech development and teeth later on. When I explained about reflux and how it soothed him, they soon stopped but up until that point, it was so negative towards them! We got rid of the dummy at 5 months old as he began waking for it every 45 mins and couldn't settle without being given it and it only took one night and he was fine. I don't regret giving it to him at all; it was a life saver!

Reactions: 4
This isn’t even funny any more. I’ve just put my 4 month old into a sleepsuit cause it’s a bit chillier and he’s virtually grown out of it. He’s swearing 6-9 months as it is 😂😂
Growing beautifully- it’s all the sunshine lately 🤣

• Haha
Sorry to be gross here, we’re all mummies here so I’m sure you’re all used to that by now but I Just finished my 3rd period since baby (31 days late 😭)
It was so so heavy, I leaked on my sofa twice even though I changed my pad & tampon every 1 hour.
I do have stage 3 endometriosis so always have had very heavy periods so I’m used to it but this is just something else.
I had clots coming out the size of strawberries! Is this normal?? To be so late & have such a heavy one?

Sorry to be gross here, we’re all mummies here so I’m sure you’re all used to that by now but I Just finished my 3rd period since baby (31 days late 😭)
It was so so heavy, I leaked on my sofa twice even though I changed my pad & tampon every 1 hour.
I do have stage 3 endometriosis so always have had very heavy periods so I’m used to it but this is just something else.
I had clots coming out the size of strawberries! Is this normal?? To be so late & have such a heavy one?
I'd say that isn't "normal", no.
Did you take a pregnancy test during it being late?
The only time I've had a period with clots like that, even after 3 kids is when I had a miscarriage ❤

• Heart
I would speak to your gp about the clots, that doesn’t sound great at all, and better safe than sorry. Have you thought about using a cup instead of tampons and pads? I have heavy periods (although not at heavy as yours by all accounts) and have found it so much better than the tampon pad combo. It holds more and even if I leak a little it’s not as much as with a tampon. It’s really changed my whole period experience

I'd say that isn't "normal", no.
Did you take a pregnancy test during it being late?
The only time I've had a period with clots like that, even after 3 kids is when I had a miscarriage ❤
Yeah I took 3 tests , all negative.
I’m infertile so I guess I assumed it wouldn’t happen?
Sorry to ask this, but the clots you had did you have many? I’ve had around 3 during the bleed
I’ve only had sex twice since having baby.
there won’t be any way of finding out now will there? It’s probably too late to do a blood test?

I’m sorry to hear about your miscarriage aswell, must be awful to experience 💔

I would speak to your gp about the clots, that doesn’t sound great at all, and better safe than sorry. Have you thought about using a cup instead of tampons and pads? I have heavy periods (although not at heavy as yours by all accounts) and have found it so much better than the tampon pad combo. It holds more and even if I leak a little it’s not as much as with a tampon. It’s really changed my whole period experience
I have a GP appointment next week so will mention it, no doubt they’ll ask me to book another appointment to discuss it!
I’ve looked at the cups, is there any that you’d recommend?
if it’s gonna save me money in the long run I’m willing to try. I’ve gone through a whole box of tampons in 5 days

Reactions: 1
Sorry to ask this, but the clots you had did you have many? I’ve had around 3 during the bleed
there won’t be any way of finding out now will there? It’s probably too late to do a blood test?

I have a GP appointment next week so will mention it, no doubt they’ll ask me to book another appointment to discuss it!
if it’s gonna save me money in the long run I’m willing to try. I’ve gone through a whole box of tampons in 5 days
I didn't have that many that were as big as you say, most of them were smaller, 1 pence piece kind of size. Only a few bigger ones.

If that was the case, it could still be picked up on a blood test and you might find if you do talk to your GP, that will probably be the first thing they ask.
Hope you get some answers and hope it was a one off! ❤

I use the one I’ve linked below, I think there are loads of brands and I found it a bit overwhelming with people saying X brand didn’t work for them but Y brand did, so I just picked this one and haven’t had any issues. My friend switched to a cup at the same time and when we were chatting she said she’s doubtful she’d fill the cup in a whole period. I was like 😱😱😱 I fill it several times a day on my heaviest days! I also use period pants as back up, but my cup barely leaks, just the first few times when I was struggling to get it in correctly.

I use the one I’ve linked below, I think there are loads of brands and I found it a bit overwhelming with people saying X brand didn’t work for them but Y brand did, so I just picked this one and haven’t had any issues. My friend switched to a cup at the same time and when we were chatting she said she’s doubtful she’d fill the cup in a whole period. I was like 😱😱😱 I fill it several times a day on my heaviest days! I also use period pants as back up, but my cup barely leaks, just the first few times when I was struggling to get it in correctly.

Sounds amazing!!
but how do you know when to empty it? I mean does it feel like it’s full? Cause I think id be constantly worrying about it leaking

I didn't have that many that were as big as you say, most of them were smaller, 1 pence piece kind of size. Only a few bigger ones.

If that was the case, it could still be picked up on a blood test and you might find if you do talk to your GP, that will probably be the first thing they ask.
Hope you get some answers and hope it was a one off! ❤
Oh ok, so it doesn’t sound like mine are normal…
I’m hoping it’s a one off too.
I did have the Covidvaccine and read that it messes up women’s menstrual cycle, maybe it’s that? 😖 oh I don’t know, I wish my body was just simple for once

Sounds amazing!!
but how do you know when to empty it? I mean does it feel like it’s full? Cause I think id be constantly worrying about it leaking
Uhm, that’s a good question! This is 100% gross, but you know the feeling when you are using a tampon and you can tell it’s kind of about to leak? Like you almost start to feel a bit wetter in there, or like it’s staring to seep? 🤢 well you do get that feeling when the cup is overflowing too. But I only had that once or twice, tbh. On my heaviest days I do empty it every 3-4hrs, sometimes it’s very full, sometimes not. Then my lighter days I can leave it a bit longer, and again sometimes it’s more full than other times. It’s one of those things you do just kind of work out, knowing your own flow, and a bit of trial and error.
I've had far fewer leaks with my cup than with tampons 😊

Uhm, that’s a good question! This is 100% gross, but you know the feeling when you are using a tampon and you can tell it’s kind of about to leak? Like you almost start to feel a bit wetter in there, or like it’s staring to seep? 🤢 well you do get that feeling when the cup is overflowing too. But I only had that once or twice, tbh. On my heaviest days I do empty it every 3-4hrs, sometimes it’s very full, sometimes not. Then my lighter days I can leave it a bit longer, and again sometimes it’s more full than other times. It’s one of those things you do just kind of work out, knowing your own flow, and a bit of trial and error.
I've had far fewer leaks with my cup than with tampons 😊
Sounds so much easier to maintain. Il give it a go, thank you xxx

• Heart
Has anyone let their baby sleep on their front/side before they can roll? Baby girl is a month old now and still will only really sleep on me (which is fine, love the snugs) but I’ve managed to master feeding her lying down and she’ll fall asleep on her side. If I roll her onto her back she wriggles and doesn’t like it, but if she stays on her side she’s fine! I keep the pillows out the way and the duvet down at waist height and lie with my arm under my head so I can’t roll, but I’m still paranoid about sids with her like this 😬

Has anyone let their baby sleep on their front/side before they can roll? Baby girl is a month old now and still will only really sleep on me (which is fine, love the snugs) but I’ve managed to master feeding her lying down and she’ll fall asleep on her side. If I roll her onto her back she wriggles and doesn’t like it, but if she stays on her side she’s fine! I keep the pillows out the way and the duvet down at waist height and lie with my arm under my head so I can’t roll, but I’m still paranoid about sids with her like this 😬
Mine would sleep like that, kinda half on side half on tummy. Luckily this boy lets me flip him on to his back if I think he’s too far over, but my others wouldn’t have done, and slept better on their tummy. It isn’t recommended as you know, so I don’t feel happy saying “we do it and it’s been fine so go ahead” but the reality is that I’ve done it, and do it now.

• Heart
My little one would roll onto her side to sleep, the midwife said it was fine for her to sleep like that if she did it herself. We were still under the midwife so she must have been under 3 weeks. We’ve co-slept like this of a morning since about 3-4 months too in order to get some extra sleep. I never intended to co-sleep but there comes a point that a tired Mum could be more dangerous than less than ideal sleep conditions. Insomnia and an early riser don’t mix! Like Definitelyme says I don’t believe in ‘well it never hurt my baby so you’ll be fine’ but our experience has been ok. You can always give your health visitor a call.

• Heart
Mine would sleep like that, kinda half on side half on tummy. Luckily this boy lets me flip him on to his back if I think he’s too far over, but my others wouldn’t have done, and slept better on their tummy. It isn’t recommended as you know, so I don’t feel happy saying “we do it and it’s been fine so go ahead” but the reality is that I’ve done it, and do it now.
I completely understand the guidance but it doesn’t half make me feel inadequate that she just will not sleep how they recommend, not to mention the added stress of worrying about her while she’s sleeping 😬 That said, she’s just rolled herself onto her back quite happily, so it’s clearly only when I move her that she screams like the world is ending 🙄🤣 mum life got me worrying about everything 😂

My little one would roll onto her side to sleep, the midwife said it was fine for her to sleep like that if she did it herself. We were still under the midwife so she must have been under 3 weeks. We’ve co-slept like this of a morning since about 3-4 months too in order to get some extra sleep. I never intended to co-sleep but there comes a point that a tired Mum could be more dangerous than less than ideal sleep conditions. Insomnia and an early riser don’t mix! Like Definitelyme says I don’t believe in ‘well it never hurt my baby so you’ll be fine’ but our experience has been ok. You can always give your health visitor a call.
Thank you! I was just at a point where we all needed some sleep and I guess it’s about balancing risks of side sleeping vs one very sleep deprived mumma!

Mines been sleeping on her tummy from she was about 6 weeks old, she had reflux and it’s the only way she would get a proper sleep. She had really good head control from early on so we trialed it during the day and kept an eye on her then once we knew she was ok moving her head from side to side we started putting her to sleep at night on her tummy, before this she would only fall asleep on us on her belly then as soon as we’d put her onto her back in her cot she’d be wide awake again or would sleep for 20 minutes and be awake again.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.