Narcissistic and Toxic parents.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Boundaries. That or cut them off. It is so damaging to yourself to be around it. My Mum, Im sure, has HPD. She was diagnosed with delusional disorder some years ago during a breakdown and she never fully recovered from it, but she has always been manipulative but well loved and protected.

I hate the drama from my family. Its caused years of misery and mental illness.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Fairly new to tattle but relate SO strongly to the munchausens posts.

I genuinely assumed (sounds silly I know) that my childhood was fairly normal. We were clothed, went to school and had normal Christmases and small birthday things. It’s only when you become a teen and older you realise it is so far from normal!
You speak to other people or MIL do things for you on birthdays or little things that make you slowly realise how COLD of an upbringing you’ve really had!

I have had two really really good relationships with my two ex MIL and I whole heartedly believe this is due to having a mother figure I never quite had growing up. For want of a better word we were quite neglected emotionally. My dad worked away from home and so it was just myself, my mother and brother. She would never do any school work with us, didn’t ever do any mother-child activities really. She didn’t work so it was not like there was tons going on.

She got diagnosed with an M.E like illness when I was 7/8 (not disputing that it does affect people) but it’s become her life. When we were little it started out as very small, and if there was things she didn’t want to do or attend that wasn’t in her favour she would suddenly have these muscle aches or some phantom illness. I think people genuinely felt sorry for her but she obviously internally revelled in the attention. If I stay with her for a day it’s all she talks about from the moment I wake up until going to bed at night.
Literally will just come into a room and talk about her stomach, her shoulder etc. Talks at me not to me about it. Refuses pain. Refuses to quit smoking. She’s overweight and doesn’t really do herself any favours.

From working for as many years as I have in the wards I often imagine how on Earth she would get on in an admission scenario. 100% think she would be discussed as having terrible mental health. And you DO wonder what outcomes would ever come of this if she ever did get admitted? I am not a MH expert, but being around her is like walking on eggshells. So prone to kicking off like a child if things don’t go her way, screaming at me if I so much as cooked in the kitchen. Apparently smells trigger off her illness (don’t want to mention her illness here but begins with a F) just incase I am easily Sussed out by someone who I am..!

She has extreme traits of BPD. I have even contacted a doctor behind her back last year as a way to help as she wouldn’t listen to me saying she needed help as she was depressed, she wouldn’t leave the house as her anxiety was so bad.. and I felt things were going to get so bad at one point she would wind up sectioned. She suspected this as the next doctors appointment he asked her a series of questions and she went ballistic at me. Really angry and in defence mode. I firmly believe she should be on some mood balancing medications as she is so erratic and depressed.

I am not once disputing this illness I do believe it’s a genuine thing but she plays on it massively and has done for so long. It’s like she enjoys being ill? I’ve stayed here for short periods and try and help out. Do the floors, do hoovering, washing, cook etc. Everytime she goes ballistic. Apparently I use too many chemicals when I clean and because of her illness she is hyper sensitive to it. Will legit sit and moan and talk to herself from another room out loud and say things like “I can’t sit in here I can smell that chemicals from the bathroom”
Like REALLY over reacts.

it can be difficult to sympathise with her and I feel like the profession I am in it makes me feel soooo guilty for getting internally angry.
I can honestly say I am not an emotionless human being, far from it. Sounds a bit up myself in saying this but do believe I have an extremely empathetic soft nature purely because of the upbringing from her. A lot of children from BPD and Narc upbringings do ! But it’s also made me a doormat too in my past two long term relationships. I went through a period of time not properly speaking to her and being very, very, angry once I realised via online blogs, forums etc what she was and how it had impacted my life so much.
I go through life constantly apologising, frightened to be assertive and people pleasing. I am pleased to say slowly and surely I have started to change but have purposely stayed single for a number of years now to focus on myself, and really find out who I am? As I suppose I went through a grieving process realising my mum was never going to change, never going to be this mother figure I so hoped for that would come and visit me, make an effort or even do little things that wasn’t solely of benefit to her really.

I have looked after people with amputations, with real life changing debilitating health disorders and hers is only very mild but she makes on she is dying of cancer the way she speaks about it. If I have a cold she has the flu. It makes me so angry and she has no idea how bad others really have it despite me sometimes saying the odd comment. She is nearly 60 and is already expecting to get a private carer in soon 🙄 because she is that unwell.
medical staff would have a field day if she ever had to go into hospital. Just screams mental health. Which I hope I don’t offend anyone with that.

Part of the other reason I got so angry for years and shut her out for 1-2 years was because it dawned on me if she had of sought help or went on some mild medication to help her BPD - my brother or my childhood might have been radically different. I feel quite let down not just by her but by other family members including my dad for not intervening. I can’t help but feel she knows she is mentally unwell and has sort of admitted it in the past but extremely selfish of her to bring up two young kids and not do anything about it? Just happy to inflict all her old crap on us.

I’m quite proud of where I am now but looking back in school it was so obvious how things just weren’t right at home but teachers probably didn’t know how to intervene. Maybe they did but being young I didn’t realise. Thankfully I’ve turned into what I think is an okay person. I love to see folk happy, keep myself to myself but have been scarred from stuff.
i struggle to monitor my emotions so easily and can get tearful so easily but I know that comes from being told to more or less “stop crying” when we were kids growing up. Anytime we were emotional or tried to speak to her she would say she was “too stressed and couldn’t handle speaking about it right now”

An earlier comment from someone had really struck me and it’s something I whole heartedly say to my close friends so often- I don’t even have kids yet but can’t wait to be the kindest, approachable parent to my kids if I have any!
More than anything I just want to make them feel the love I desperately didn’t have, and to put so much time into them rather than them be seen like some sort of burden which is how I felt. Even teaching them little things and getting them in to cook or help you do things around the place. Help them with school work and read to them some nights. I probably sound a bit sappy 😂 but honest to god it’s made me really realise I absolutely do not ever want them to feel like how I did!

The posts on here are incredible. Remember you are never alone, and don’t let people make you feel guilty for doing what is right for you, ever. I don’t think I will ever live near here again as it’s too potent to be around loads but if I had a family I would be happy to visit (staying in a local hotel) and see her that way. From afar, and if things went Pete tong least I could leave easily. 😂

it’s so hard. Did anyone else go through this grieving process too? It was like the realisation the connection and relationship you so desperately wanted - was never going to happen. And accepting that?

thank you for reading ❤

Trigger warning ; abuse and suicide.
My mom was a narc. I also am seriously struggling in later life as all of this was my "normal"...
This is probably barely going to touch the surface but For as long as I can remember she told me the only reason I was here was because she didn't have another choice (she was 7 months gone when she discovered she was pregnant with me).. I always knew she hated me she never made it a secret but my younger brother was the golden child,. She was very cold and never ever hugged me or showed affection. She married when I was 5 and it was a very violent relationship. She always put her self and her needs first, they were alcoholics who spent their nights after work in the pub so from a very young age I was coming home to no parents, no food, sometimes if they had forgot to leave the door open I'd have to wait in the garden (I'd snuggle up with the dogs in their shed) until they got home, in all weather's until all times, when they finally got home they'd be too drunk to do much else but fight so there was never any food in and because of the uncertainty of eating at home I would try and eat wherever I was and in the end developed a very unhealthy obsession with food, she would call me a fat piece of pig tit almost daily and in turn my brothers would say it too. I spent my whole childhood tip toeing around her as her moods were so explosive and she was so violent. When I was 13 she attacked me (nothing unusual) and broke my arm. Long story short the neighbours rang the police an as a result me and my brother went into temporary Foster care. He soon returned but I was never welcome back, she blamed it all on me to anyone who would listen and the constant "I can't believe youve done this to your mom and told the police so many lies" made me want to die as no one understood the real her. Everything was a guilt trip with her and I even ended up feeling like maybe it was me? I stayed in Foster care until I was 16 and then got my own place. She would turn up once in a blue moon and never ever helped me I was alone at 16 with not a penny to my name (she had always been well established money wise) but would never help me
My mom was a narc. I also am seriously struggling in later life as all of this was my "normal"...
This is probably barely going to touch the surface but For as long as I can remember she told me the only reason I was here was because she didn't have another choice (she was 7 months gone when she discovered she was pregnant with me).. I always knew she hated me she never made it a secret but my younger brother was the golden child,. She was very cold and never ever hugged me or showed affection. She married when I was 5 and it was a very violent relationship. She always put her self and her needs first, they were alcoholics who spent their nights after work in the pub so from a very young age I was coming home to no parents, no food, sometimes if they had forgot to leave the door open I'd have to wait in the garden (I'd snuggle up with the dogs in their shed) until they got home, in all weather's until all times, when they finally got home they'd be too drunk to do much else but fight so there was never any food in and because of the uncertainty of eating at home I would try and eat wherever I was and in the end developed a very unhealthy obsession with food, she would call me a fat piece of pig tit almost daily and in turn my brothers would say it too. I spent my whole childhood tip toeing around her as her moods were so explosive and she was so violent. When I was 13 she attacked me (nothing unusual) and broke my arm. Long story short the neighbours rang the police an as a result me and my brother went into temporary Foster care. He soon returned but I was never welcome back, she blamed it all on me to anyone who would listen and the constant "I can't believe youve done this to your mom and told the police so many lies" made me want to die as no one understood the real her. Everything was a guilt trip with her and I even ended up feeling like maybe it was me? I stayed in Foster care until I was 16 and then got my own place. She would turn up once in a blue moon and never ever helped me I was alone at 16 with not a penny to my name (she had always been well established money wise) but would never help me with anything despite doing anything for her sons. Our relationship since then was sparse, She vehemently denied all of my memories and says I must be sick in the head to say these things which made it harder to care about her. I had my first son at age 20 and I seen a side to her I had never ever seen before she adored him. Would kiss and hug him shower him with love and then thats when I really thought wow it must be me... The next few years she put me through hell with her drinking, emotional abuse and wild BPD episodes. She went to jail for drink driving and whilst she was in I discovered I was having a girl.. The next time she rang I told her and she just put the phone down on me. I was so confused but after a while it became clear... Its because the baby was a girl.. She had not one bit of time for her like she did my son. The same with me and my brothers. I ended up cutting her off after the birth.. Fast forward to a year later (January 2020) and I got a call to say she had hanged herself. When I got to the hospital they had her on life support but it wasn't looking good due to the brain damage, I ended up being the next of kin and all further decisions were down to me. 5 days later the day before my 27th birthday I had to make the heart wrenching decision to withdraw her life support, my brothers whom she adored left and I lay with her whilst she died and it was honestly the closest I have ever felt to her and my heart broke all over again. I thought I'd mourned my mom years ago but clearly not. I planned and paid for the funeral single handedly and my brothers swanned up and took all the credit for "a beautiful send off..my whole family openly blaims me for her suicide and said if I hadn't stopped contact with her and the kids she would never of done this. I'm struggling with my thoughts of her, it's like a PP said since she's died iv put her on a pedastal and it's really an emotional roller-coaster. I loved her to death and I suppose somewhere in there she loved me too but it wasn't what it should of been. I'm in therapy and trying to overcome this professionally but I also get so jealous seeing other grown ups with wonderful parents. Because even when mine were here I wished they wasn't

I am so sorry this has happened to you. I think it’s normal to put someone on a pedestal especially since what’s happened. Sometimes you overlook the bad in moments, and then try and make sense of what was and what wasn’t. I know I have done this. Sometimes I feel massive guilt at the way things are with my own mum - but she did push me away. I try and remind myself that you deserve a bit of respect no matter if it’s family or not. You need to look out for number one.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Alcoholic father... I lived with other family members they were toxic too.
Spent my entire life thinking it was my fault. Had my children and it out everything into perspective.

I cut all ties with all toxic members of my family and it was the best decision I ever made. My mental well-being is the best it’s ever been and I’m not exposing my children to that trauma

everyone’s situation is different but reading through these posts has made me realise I’m not alone . I’m sorry that everyone else here has experienced it on some level too.
Hugs x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
This is probably barely going to touch the surface but For as long as I can remember she told me the only reason I was here was because she didn't have another choice (she was 7 months gone when she discovered she was pregnant with me).. I always knew she hated me she never made it a secret but my younger brother was the golden child,. She was very cold and never ever hugged me or showed affection. She married when I was 5 and it was a very violent relationship. She always put her self and her needs first, they were alcoholics who spent their nights after work in the pub so from a very young age I was coming home to no parents, no food, sometimes if they had forgot to leave the door open I'd have to wait in the garden (I'd snuggle up with the dogs in their shed) until they got home, in all weather's until all times, when they finally got home they'd be too drunk to do much else but fight so there was never any food in and because of the uncertainty of eating at home I would try and eat wherever I was and in the end developed a very unhealthy obsession with food, she would call me a fat piece of pig tit almost daily and in turn my brothers would say it too. I spent my whole childhood tip toeing around her as her moods were so explosive and she was so violent. When I was 13 she attacked me (nothing unusual) and broke my arm. Long story short the neighbours rang the police an as a result me and my brother went into temporary Foster care. He soon returned but I was never welcome back, she blamed it all on me to anyone who would listen and the constant "I can't believe youve done this to your mom and told the police so many lies" made me want to die as no one understood the real her. Everything was a guilt trip with her and I even ended up feeling like maybe it was me? I stayed in Foster care until I was 16 and then got my own place. She would turn up once in a blue moon and never ever helped me I was alone at 16 with not a penny to my name (she had always been well established money wise) but would never help me with anything despite doing anything for her sons. Our relationship since then was sparse, She vehemently denied all of my memories and says I must be sick in the head to say these things which made it harder to care about her. I had my first son at age 20 and I seen a side to her I had never ever seen before she adored him. Would kiss and hug him shower him with love and then thats when I really thought wow it must be me... The next few years she put me through hell with her drinking, emotional abuse and wild BPD episodes. She went to jail for drink driving and whilst she was in I discovered I was having a girl.. The next time she rang I told her and she just put the phone down on me. I was so confused but after a while it became clear... Its because the baby was a girl.. She had not one bit of time for her like she did my son. The same with me and my brothers. I ended up cutting her off after the birth.. Fast forward to a year later (January 2020) and I got a call to say she had hanged herself. When I got to the hospital they had her on life support but it wasn't looking good due to the brain damage, I ended up being the next of kin and all further decisions were down to me. 5 days later the day before my 27th birthday I had to make the heart wrenching decision to withdraw her life support, my brothers whom she adored left and I lay with her whilst she died and it was honestly the closest I have ever felt to her and my heart broke all over again. I thought I'd mourned my mom years ago but clearly not. I planned and paid for the funeral single handedly and my brothers swanned up and took all the credit for "a beautiful send off..my whole family openly blaims me for her suicide and said if I hadn't stopped contact with her and the kids she would never of done this. I'm struggling with my thoughts of her, it's like a PP said since she's died iv put her on a pedastal and it's really an emotional roller-coaster. I loved her to death and I suppose somewhere in there she loved me too but it wasn't what it should of been. I'm in therapy and trying to overcome this professionally but I also get so jealous seeing other grown ups with wonderful parents. Because even when mine were here I wished they wasn't
I am so sorry to read this, whilst I can’t relate to the not having food and my mum being an alcoholic, she did tell me some inappropriate stuff at about 9 years old. Stuff like She was nearly raped in butlins, she saw her mum having sex with her now husband but at the time was married to my dad, that I am only here because my dad said if she didn’t give him a child he would just hold her down and a few other bits which at the time I was so flattered she told me these secrets because she made no secret she hated me. She told my to a physiatrist at 7 years old because I was always so upset by all the boyfriends after my dad left she said I was controlling wtfff.I was the only child to know my younger brother wasn’t my dads so when I grew up and my brother was horrid I told him (regret that but tbf) and no one believed me my mum, her new bf, other brother called me scum!! It made me so determined to prove I was right, eventually some random woman my mum knew way back when asked my brother If he’d ever met his real dad and it all came out! She always chose men before uscshe cheated with my best friends dad (from nursery) who’s wife was dying of cancer and omg some of the positions me and my brother caught them in literally pornographic! One night my brother walked downstairs and they were at it, literally saw the whole act and he jumped up put his head round the door and winked at us. We ran upstairs and played sonic on mega drive so shocked I remember my poor brothers face bless him 🥺She eventually dumped him for his nephew and in turn I never saw my best friend again 💔. Honestly the list would go on and on and to this day she constantly calls me a bleep and what did she do to deserve me, constantly criticising my
Brothers parenting and thinking the world owes her something! I love her because she’s my mum but I don’t like her at all. Sending love I hope you’re in a better place today xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I am so sorry to read this, whilst I can’t relate to the not having food and my mum being an alcoholic, she did tell me some inappropriate stuff at about 9 years old. Stuff like She was nearly raped in butlins, she saw her mum having sex with her now husband but at the time was married to my dad, that I am only here because my dad said if she didn’t give him a child he would just hold her down and a few other bits which at the time I was so flattered she told me these secrets because she made no secret she hated me. She told my to a physiatrist at 7 years old because I was always so upset by all the boyfriends after my dad left she said I was controlling wtfff.I was the only child to know my younger brother wasn’t my dads so when I grew up and my brother was horrid I told him (regret that but tbf) and no one believed me my mum, her new bf, other brother called me scum!! It made me so determined to prove I was right, eventually some random woman my mum knew way back when asked my brother If he’d ever met his real dad and it all came out! She always chose men before uscshe cheated with my best friends dad (from nursery) who’s wife was dying of cancer and omg some of the positions me and my brother caught them in literally pornographic! One night my brother walked downstairs and they were at it, literally saw the whole act and he jumped up put his head round the door and winked at us. We ran upstairs and played sonic on mega drive so shocked I remember my poor brothers face bless him 🥺She eventually dumped him for his nephew and in turn I never saw my best friend again 💔. Honestly the list would go on and on and to this day she constantly calls me a bleep and what did she do to deserve me, constantly criticising my
Brothers parenting and thinking the world owes her something! I love her because she’s my mum but I don’t like her at all. Sending love I hope you’re in a better place today xx
you poor thing, this is awful to endure. Please cut her out of your life, she's no good to you and never will be. You might think 'it's all I've got' but she's trapping you, you need to be free of her.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This thread is so reassuring that im not alone in this.
My mother is the ultimate narcissist. It’s all about her, loves drama and making others unhappy. Snide comments and bringing up loaded topics. Current topics of contention are food banks and Marcus Rashford - there is no need for them and people are just taking advantage and he should stick to football. BLM - she’s sick of seeing it and there is too much on tv. Meghan Markle - hates her, Brexit and, Farage & Boris - she loves them.
She’s such a bigot and if I disagree with her even in a nice way there is a row. There was one this evening.
I give to foodbanks so don’t understand how someone can be so nasty especially at these times.
I’m 32 and it’s only this year I’ve realised how much damage she has caused me. I didn’t have a bad childhood, we had clothes, food and treats but the default was anger. I suffer with anxiety and I know she is the reason for it. She has no friends, her and my dad just sit in the house all day. She resents anyone who is happy. We have recently reconciled with my brother after 3 years, the fall out was because of her. We are getting on well which is great but it’s only been 2 months and he is already regretting letting her back in. My dad does stick up for us but she doesn’t listen and never apologises. It’s just exhausting. There is so much more I could say. They are coming over on Xmas day and I really don’t want her too, I’d like to see my dad but they come as a package. I was really hoping there would be tight restrictions for Xmas 🙈 luckily they live an hour away so I don’t have to see her regularly. Thanks for listening, sorry for rambling on- she’s just got to me tonight.
My hubs is fab, very supportive and can’t stand her either but I sometimes feel it’s not fair to keep bothering him with it plus he cut all of his family off because they were mega toxic so it’s unfair to ask him to deal with mine 🙈

• Heart
My husband also can’t stand my mother. I’ve not had anything to do with her for many years (bliss). She tells people he’s on her side. He’s not had anything to do with her other than be the recipient of ranting email about how awful I am. They always start with “I don’t want to come between a man and his wife, but ....” then a long ramble about how terrible I am. She copies them to the rest of the family for good measure.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
This thread is so reassuring that im not alone in this.
My mother is the ultimate narcissist. It’s all about her, loves drama and making others unhappy. Snide comments and bringing up loaded topics. Current topics of contention are food banks and Marcus Rashford - there is no need for them and people are just taking advantage and he should stick to football. BLM - she’s sick of seeing it and there is too much on tv. Meghan Markle - hates her, Brexit and, Farage & Boris - she loves them.
She’s such a bigot and if I disagree with her even in a nice way there is a row. There was one this evening.
I give to foodbanks so don’t understand how someone can be so nasty especially at these times.
I’m 32 and it’s only this year I’ve realised how much damage she has caused me. I didn’t have a bad childhood, we had clothes, food and treats but the default was anger. I suffer with anxiety and I know she is the reason for it. She has no friends, her and my dad just sit in the house all day. She resents anyone who is happy. We have recently reconciled with my brother after 3 years, the fall out was because of her. We are getting on well which is great but it’s only been 2 months and he is already regretting letting her back in. My dad does stick up for us but she doesn’t listen and never apologises. It’s just exhausting. There is so much more I could say. They are coming over on Xmas day and I really don’t want her too, I’d like to see my dad but they come as a package. I was really hoping there would be tight restrictions for Xmas 🙈 luckily they live an hour away so I don’t have to see her regularly. Thanks for listening, sorry for rambling on- she’s just got to me tonight.
My hubs is fab, very supportive and can’t stand her either but I sometimes feel it’s not fair to keep bothering him with it plus he cut all of his family off because they were mega toxic so it’s unfair to ask him to deal with mine 🙈
Same scenario with mine and the bigotry. Its so embarrassing the views they hold 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Heart
I don't feel ready to talk about my history but my mum is a narc and it was actually something my therapist suggested. She's an abusive alcoholic and former drug user. Nothing was more important than her needs. Definite golden child/scapegoat dynamics.

It was a really long time before I realised my family wasn't normal and it shocks people whenever I do reveal anything about my home life.

Sending love to you all.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Same scenario with mine and the bigotry. Its so embarrassing the views they hold 🤦🏼‍♀️
It’s awful isn’t it. Usually I can ignore and be vanilla but tonight I just couldn’t let it go 🙄

I don't feel ready to talk about my history but my mum is a narc and it was actually something my therapist suggested. She's an abusive alcoholic and former drug user. Nothing was more important than her needs. Definite golden child/scapegoat dynamics.

It was a really long time before I realised my family wasn't normal and it shocks people whenever I do reveal anything about my home life.

Sending love to you all.
Sending love right back to you! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I can sympathise so much with this because my mum is the exact same, and I don’t think it’s extreme enough that I could cut her off completely. She always has to rain on my parade and put a dampener on my happiness (all she could talk about was how much weight I needed to lose after I’d just given birth to her first grandchild and expressed nothing but disdain when my now-husband and I got engaged!). I, like you, end up biting and then get made out to be the one in the wrong but if other people knew her like I did they’d see things differently. I have daydreamed of cutting her off so many times, but she does have a good relationship with my sons and I’m not cruel enough to take that away from them. I wish I could offer advice, just wanted to say that you’re not alone. I usually cope by keeping my distance and doing my best to completely ignore her when she starts her shite. As I’ve gotten older and had my own family, it’s become easier. Living with her as a young girl was utter hell at times. I spent most of it in my room or out with friends just to get away from her.
That also rang a bell with me as well!!
I call it the art of subtle cruelty and narcs are masters at it.
I feel instantly on edge any time my mother comes to see my kids like an instant defence mechanism gets triggered.
She is polite and intelligent with my kids and in her own way fond of them but its like ownership she has an entitled right to see them because she is the grandma but she never has them round to her place (ok she can't now because of co vid but she never did anyway!) or offer to take them out no never gonna happen.
She pops round like the queen does her inspection takes a mental inventory dishes out advice (font of all wisdom) then leaves!!
All the while i perform like a clapping seal find myself trying to get her approval (chronic people pleasing i am well trained)
and when she goes i breathe again.
She is just a ghost a well mannered one but i can never reach her unless its a crisis then she will swoop down like a mother eagle and yes i'll have her attention.
Does anyone else feel the same that they respond only to drama and negativity (like its a energy transfusion for them and brings them to life)?
So maybe you find that in your life without realising it you've been in a sense attention seeking?
I say this because when something good happens they seem to seethe inwardly and feel threatened?
Bad news/behaviour/problems suddenly she can't get enough so being the people pleaser i am here i go again illness trauma pain she sucks it all up?
I realise that all narcs are different but this one is morbid to a fault but you can't say anything because suddenly all her latent maternal instincts are switched on but its at my expense she can only feel big when i feel small.
They don't ever let you grow up though do they and are both cold and clingy how the hell does that work?
You'd think it was a contradiction but no she is the queen of contradiction and thats why you never know where her next bite will come from talk about a head duck.
Like you said though she is a smooth operator and can convince anyone at any time that she is the injured party.
I never stood a chance and my kids just nod and go along with it they know its all a game a pretence.
Thats the worst though isn't it a narc is never real so how can you possibly ever relate?
Its a form of insanity living a lie never being able to tell the truth (because that would smash the false image they have).
So i'm here to add my piece as well because i'm still haunted by it and my own inability to escape its clutches..
Good luck to all of us is all i can say..

• Heart
We are in tier 4. However it’s an absolute bonus for me as I won’t have to see my father. Sad I can’t see my best friend. But there is literally no way I want to see my father!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Out of the three of us only one has anything to do with “mother” she could never love or treat us all equally at the same time. Always one of us was on the outside and treated awful. She’s the same with her grandkids. She used to pick and choose which ones she had anything to do with. I cut that tit out early as she wasn’t going to damage my children. The final straw with the kids was when she sent nothing for my lot for Christmas (she lives abroad) but sent a present for my nephew.
On 3 occasions she flew into the country without us knowing before hand and didn’t come to see us. The last time she became rather ill and was admitted to hospital. Lots of crocodile tears about wanting to stay here to be closer to all of us. My siblings visited her but I didn’t as I knew she was lying. However to support them I worked behind scenes to see if she could get help etc if she were to come back here and live. Things got arranged then we found out she had been discharged and gone back abroad. She then didn’t contact anyone for a week just to ramp up the pity for herself. That’s when one of my siblings said enough.
She likes to tell people on her Facebook all about my children and how well they are doing and posts gushing birthday wishes, when in fact they haven’t had anything to do with her for over 7 years.
im so much more stress free since having no contact but it has impacted my relationship with one sibling as she is always brought up(not by me ) despite me asking to know nothing and for her to know nothing about me

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I could've written this.

Another thing I know that if I did have kids and I introduced them to my dad, if he was horrible to them like he was to me then I would cut contact immediately obviously. But what if he was nice to them? Treated them like little people deserve to be treated? Honestly I couldn't watch that, I just wouldn't be able to deal with the thought of why not me then?

And again its like well of course he'll love them and be nice to them they're his grandchildren! But why was he a monster when I was a kid? Am I so much worse than grandkids? Trying to explain this to someone 'normal'? No way not even going to try.
Sorry to bring this back around. Reading this thread has literally been like reading my childhood but this one stuck out for me the most.

I have always really wanted kids and although I have the fear that I'll be like my mum I know in my heart I won't, but the thought of her being involved scares me to death. The thought of her being lovely to them is difficult but I do think okay as long as the kids are happy that will be okay with me. I don't trust her to have them over night though at all as she is not maternal in any way.
There's a bit of me that's really spiteful and wants to keep them from her cause I don't feel like she deserves to be a grandmother. She likes to say that when I have kids in the summer I can send them to stay with her for the holidays and I think to myself, first of all no. not on any planet but secondly, there's no way you'll ever see my children let alone have them for the whole summer. ir makes me selfish and spiteful and I feel like maybe I should be the bigger person

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Sorry to bring this back around. Reading this thread has literally been like reading my childhood but this one stuck out for me the most.

I have always really wanted kids and although I have the fear that I'll be like my mum I know in my heart I won't, but the thought of her being involved scares me to death. The thought of her being lovely to them is difficult but I do think okay as long as the kids are happy that will be okay with me. I don't trust her to have them over night though at all as she is not maternal in any way.
There's a bit of me that's really spiteful and wants to keep them from her cause I don't feel like she deserves to be a grandmother. She likes to say that when I have kids in the summer I can send them to stay with her for the holidays and I think to myself, first of all no. not on any planet but secondly, there's no way you'll ever see my children let alone have them for the whole summer. ir makes me selfish and spiteful and I feel like maybe I should be the bigger person
I'm so sorry you are going through this. "Luckily" I've never wanted kids, but I have battled with these thoughts for years in case I did change my mind.

I know if and when you have kids, you will protect them at all costs from people who are not a good influence, whether related or not.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm so sorry you are going through this. "Luckily" I've never wanted kids, but I have battled with these thoughts for years in case I did change my mind.

I know if and when you have kids, you will protect them at all costs from people who are not a good influence, whether related or not.
Thank you. It makes me feel like I'm a horrible person that I want to keep them away from her because I worry it's coming from a place of spite masked as a place of protection if that makes sense

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you. It makes me feel like I'm a horrible person that I want to keep them away from her because I worry it's coming from a place of spite masked as a place of protection if that makes sense
Because I have been through similar things to you, I see that it would 100% come from a place of protection and I would do the same. But like you I am not naive and unfortunately "normal" people may not understand that. But at the same time it really is no one else's business. Any good parent has their children's best interests at heart all day every day and it shouldn't be any other way.

Please don't feel like you are horrible or in the wrong, you absolutely are not ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t know why I keep doing it to myself, getting my hopes up for some sort of maternal support/ love and then get disappointed when it doesn’t come. I should know by now it won’t.

I text my mum today that I’ve been signed offf work with stress due to an ongoing situation. She knows the ins and outs of it and I only mentioned to stop her digs about work. I had No call or anything in response, just a simple “I hope it gets sorted soon” reply. I text her about my son saying he acted out a bit today. She asks “do you think he’s picking up on your stress or just a phase?”. I replied “I think he’s just being a toddler”.

It’s like she’s using my work situation to imply I’m being a bad mother. Ugh I’m so annoyed at myself or maybe I’m being overly sensitive as usual.

• Sad
  • Heart
I don’t know why I keep doing it to myself, getting my hopes up for some sort of maternal support/ love and then get disappointed when it doesn’t come. I should know by now it won’t.

I text my mum today that I’ve been signed offf work with stress due to an ongoing situation. She knows the ins and outs of it and I only mentioned to stop her digs about work. I had No call or anything in response, just a simple “I hope it gets sorted soon” reply. I text her about my son saying he acted out a bit today. She asks “do you think he’s picking up on your stress or just a phase?”. I replied “I think he’s just being a toddler”.

It’s like she’s using my work situation to imply I’m being a bad mother. Ugh I’m so annoyed at myself or maybe I’m being overly sensitive as usual.
So sorry you’re having a tough time. You’re not over sensitive and your feelings are valid. Please look after yourself and put in some boundaries with your mum. Sending hugs xxx

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.