Narcissistic and Toxic parents.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For those of you who have cut off your narc parents, how have you done so?
Has it been after they've done yet another thing? Or in moments where nothing had really happened but you realised it was the best thing for you? Just wondering about making a decision when caught up in emotion vs other times.
Overall I know I need to cut my narc parent off, but really grappling with it.
It took a couple of years to really fully get away, but getting married and seeing a different side to my dad really was a wakeup call to just how conditional his love really was. He even told me to "get on my bike" because it was his way or the highway. So I took the highway. Unfortunately, despite my husband helping me to finally get away from my narc dad, it turns out that he is equally toxic, if not more, so now I'm trying to get away from it all over again and it's just exhausting, especially when there's kids involved.
Please just do it, when you make the decision, act on it as soon as you can instead of delaying it, because that will give you time to doubt yourself and think that you're the unreasonable one.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
In my case there had been an escalation of abusive behaviour. She’d stopped trying to have a go at me because it was getting her nowhere, so she started on my husband. There would be an incident and I’d be disgusted with her but have to see her at family gatherings. I’d be cool towards her and not make her feel welcome in my home. In response she’d tell people I was bipolar (totally and utterly untrue). Eventually she came round to my place, downed a bottle of wine, picked an argument with me and became violent. She punched me but I didn’t retaliate at all, just calmly made her leave. That was it. I was so glad she hit me as I had my “out”.

She lies about events that evening (and other things leading up to it) to my siblings but I know the truth and I’m happy I made the right decision.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
For those of you who have cut off your narc parents, how have you done so?
Has it been after they've done yet another thing? Or in moments where nothing had really happened but you realised it was the best thing for you? Just wondering about making a decision when caught up in emotion vs other times.
Overall I know I need to cut my narc parent off, but really grappling with it.
I didn't have a choice, she turfed me out and told me I was dead to her. A few years later when my dad died she tried to get in touch with me again but I didn't engage. I would have cut ties myself if she hadn't....its a long story but she stood by the man who raped me ( still does to this day ) and tried to take my daughter from me so there is no coming back from that. She is pure evil but even with that cutting her off was not easy, she's my mother and I have felt the loss of a mother figure hugely in my life. It doesn't help that she is a street angel/house devil - everyone thinks I'm a witch for not being part of her life. Sometimes I think it would just be easier to get in touch and go through the motions but then I think about how she's treated us and I give my head a wobble. She has had four children and fucked them all up, she doesn't deserve my time or attention. Life is hard when you go NC but its so much easier than it would be with her in my life.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I didn't have a choice, she turfed me out and told me I was dead to her. A few years later when my dad died she tried to get in touch with me again but I didn't engage. I would have cut ties myself if she hadn't....its a long story but she stood by the man who raped me ( still does to this day ) and tried to take my daughter from me so there is no coming back from that. She is pure evil but even with that cutting her off was not easy, she's my mother and I have felt the loss of a mother figure hugely in my life. It doesn't help that she is a street angel/house devil - everyone thinks I'm a witch for not being part of her life. Sometimes I think it would just be easier to get in touch and go through the motions but then I think about how she's treated us and I give my head a wobble. She has had four children and fucked them all up, she doesn't deserve my time or attention. Life is hard when you go NC but its so much easier than it would be with her in my life.
So sorry to hear that 😞
My dad sided,with my abuser too by brushing it under the carpet and reminding me how lucky I am and all the good things i have in my life including the Nike air max trainers he bought me and holiday to disney when I was 9. He is also a street angel and I'm the weird daughter.

just remember when you're thinking about getting in touch that your mum is unhealthy and unable to change. And even the worst parents have periods of being inoffensive but it never lasts. Sounds like you're a pro at no contact though ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So sorry to hear that 😞
My dad sided,with my abuser too by brushing it under the carpet and reminding me how lucky I am and all the good things i have in my life including the Nike air max trainers he bought me and holiday to disney when I was 9. He is also a street angel and I'm the weird daughter.

just remember when you're thinking about getting in touch that your mum is unhealthy and unable to change. And even the worst parents have periods of being inoffensive but it never lasts. Sounds like you're a pro at no contact though ❤
Its very hard sometimes not to just do it but my sister is still in her life and is not in a good way because of it. She just can't end it for whatever reason and she is a nervous wreck who is way too hard on herself because my mother has made her belief she's useless. Whenever I feel the urge, which isn't often thankfully, I just look at how she is treating my sister and realise I made the right choice.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Ive been panicking today that my dad might come round in a temper so I've fitted a security camera. The guy is 70 so im not quite sure what I think he'll do but im scared 😨 😭😭

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
It’s been 9 weeks since I spoke to my narc mum and my enabler dad. They actually stopped speaking to me but I’m so thankful that they did because even though Ive wanted to go non contact for a very long time it’s something I never thought was possible. Honestly, I’m a different person to who I was 9 weeks ago. I have so much more confidence, I’m so much happier and my anxiety is much improved. Yes it has been hard at times. I saw a counsellor for 6 weeks as I knew this was my opportunity to build resilience. It was the best decision I made. Most days I don’t even think of them and any guilt I had has subsided. I just want to let anyone that’s struggling know that you can do it and you deserve to do it. Keep going because the other side is so worth it. You deserve happiness, love and most of all peace ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm having a day today where I'm wondering if I've been too harsh and should just pick up the phone.

My dad has said and done some awful things to me but yet I still catch myself wondering if I'm being mean.

Wtf is that all about? 😭😭

Its been 3 weeks since I last spoke to him (where for once I stood up for myself when he started one of his venomous rants about women).

He hasn't contacted me and I haven't contacted him.

I have had counselling previously where I learned to set boundaries with him but even that obviously hasn't worked.
Reading this, I had to check I hadn’t written it! Hope you’re ok ❤

Reactions: 2
Reading this, I had to check I hadn’t written it! Hope you’re ok ❤
Ah it's sad but comforting in a safety in numbers way to know others go through the same thing 💔❤

Its been 4 weeks since the last time I spoke to my dad where he decided to scream at me. Which is nothing new as I was brought up with him screaming his opinions at me.

I cant say I've healed as quickly as others have but im pretty sure I never want to speak to him again. I've realised that he's like a school bully to me and I'm always trying to please him to make him like me and keep the peace. The fact is that he's never going to like me or be peaceful.

He still takes up far too much of my head space for my liking- i think about it often and every day. Im trying hard to keep myself distracted. I think I need to build up some confidence as I'm not sure how I'm going to react if he contacts me again. He makes me feel like a frightened, powerless child.

How are you doing? ❤

It’s been 9 weeks since I spoke to my narc mum and my enabler dad. They actually stopped speaking to me but I’m so thankful that they did because even though Ive wanted to go non contact for a very long time it’s something I never thought was possible. Honestly, I’m a different person to who I was 9 weeks ago. I have so much more confidence, I’m so much happier and my anxiety is much improved. Yes it has been hard at times. I saw a counsellor for 6 weeks as I knew this was my opportunity to build resilience. It was the best decision I made. Most days I don’t even think of them and any guilt I had has subsided. I just want to let anyone that’s struggling know that you can do it and you deserve to do it. Keep going because the other side is so worth it. You deserve happiness, love and most of all peace ❤
I'm so pleased to hear how well you are doing ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My mother's a complete narcissist. They adopted me in between her own biological children so I have an older brother and a younger sister. To this day I cannot work out her motivation for adopting me. I was never ever good enough. It was constantly thrown in my face that my biological parents were bad people who couldn't love me. My talents were different from theirs - my sister is very arty like my mother and my brother very mathematical like my dad. I was into music and languages and these weren't her kind of thing. However, she still paid for piano lessons for my brother and sister weekly but not for me. Every week I had to go whilst they had their lessons and wait for them to finish.
The overall environment in the house was so horribly toxic. I ran away a couple of times as a young teen then a couple of weeks after turning 17 moved into a YMCA as I just couldn't bear it anymore.
When I got together with my husband she tried several times to split us up. She'd bring up every little thing I'd done as a child in front of him, but didn't realise I'd already told him everything. When I was pregnant with my first, I actually told her when she was in hospital for a small procedure as I was so utterly terrified. She's never accepted my first born and has bullied him his entire life.
My poor old dad died a few years ago. She'd been a drinker for a while, but took it to a whole other level. After a year of watching her drink herself silly, so much that she fell out of bed and had concussion, my husband has had to go and literally pick her up off the floor on more than one occasion, and listen to her cry that she doesn't want to live, we had an almighty argument. During which she accused my little daughter of not even caring about my dad. We'd both had wine and I was really actually shouting at her, I don't know how I found the strength to do it. My husband walked in - he'd dropped me off there and the second he walked in, literally he honestly just put his head around the door and said "what's going on here then?" because he could hear us arguing from outside, she leapt from her chair and accused him of trying to punch her. She was saying awful things to him, "I know what you are, come on you w***ker, I'll have you". I managed to get her into bed and we left, but the next day we found she'd been going around telling everyone he wanted to beat her up. Even though she told my sister in law she cannot remember anything about that night, she carried on with her lie.
I have tried and tried to have a relationship with her but she will not take any accountability at all. We now haven't talked in years. I miss my dad so much, he would not have let this happen.

Sorry so much for this absolute wall of text. It felt really good to get it out.

• Heart
  • Sad
My mother's a complete narcissist. They adopted me in between her own biological children so I have an older brother and a younger sister. To this day I cannot work out her motivation for adopting me. I was never ever good enough. It was constantly thrown in my face that my biological parents were bad people who couldn't love me. My talents were different from theirs - my sister is very arty like my mother and my brother very mathematical like my dad. I was into music and languages and these weren't her kind of thing. However, she still paid for piano lessons for my brother and sister weekly but not for me. Every week I had to go whilst they had their lessons and wait for them to finish.
The overall environment in the house was so horribly toxic. I ran away a couple of times as a young teen then a couple of weeks after turning 17 moved into a YMCA as I just couldn't bear it anymore.
When I got together with my husband she tried several times to split us up. She'd bring up every little thing I'd done as a child in front of him, but didn't realise I'd already told him everything. When I was pregnant with my first, I actually told her when she was in hospital for a small procedure as I was so utterly terrified. She's never accepted my first born and has bullied him his entire life.
My poor old dad died a few years ago. She'd been a drinker for a while, but took it to a whole other level. After a year of watching her drink herself silly, so much that she fell out of bed and had concussion, my husband has had to go and literally pick her up off the floor on more than one occasion, and listen to her cry that she doesn't want to live, we had an almighty argument. During which she accused my little daughter of not even caring about my dad. We'd both had wine and I was really actually shouting at her, I don't know how I found the strength to do it. My husband walked in - he'd dropped me off there and the second he walked in, literally he honestly just put his head around the door and said "what's going on here then?" because he could hear us arguing from outside, she leapt from her chair and accused him of trying to punch her. She was saying awful things to him, "I know what you are, come on you w***ker, I'll have you". I managed to get her into bed and we left, but the next day we found she'd been going around telling everyone he wanted to beat her up. Even though she told my sister in law she cannot remember anything about that night, she carried on with her lie.
I have tried and tried to have a relationship with her but she will not take any accountability at all. We now haven't talked in years. I miss my dad so much, he would not have let this happen.

Sorry so much for this absolute wall of text. It felt really good to get it out.
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. You are 100% better off without her.

• Heart
My mother is a weak and selfish woman who has always put her men before her children. She moved me in with her and my stepdad who subjected me to violence, constant fear and being put down every day. My mum would laugh along with it. She did nothing to protect me and would have a go at me for not feeling able to cuddle him or sit on his lap. Worst event was having my head pushed repeatedly underwater for having a speck of dirt on my neck.

I have nightmares most nights where I am desperately trying to get removed by social services and get away. In reality all I ever did was phone childline from a phone box. I was far too bleeping terrified to ever report anything.

Memories come back to me daily. Today me and my child were doing silly faces and I did one that I’ve been doing since I was little, and immediately got a flashback to my mum making fun of me for it and mocking how stupid my face looked.

I am riddled with horrible memories and mental health problems because of what they did. I can’t even look at our pets without getting flashbacks to him kicking our pet cat across the room and my mum cackling with laughter.

he will never see justice and she will never not see herself as a poor victim who lost her daughter.

duck them both.

I cut contact with him when I left home and I cut contact with her five years ago when I had a nervous breakdown, triggered by her hitting my child. I could never be around her after that let alone have her around my children.

the more distance I get from all the events the more I see clearly that of course I couldn’t pretend everything was alright and be her buddy, having her round for jolly dinners and going to buy plants at the garden centre. She is a selfish cow who never gave a tit about me until she saw fit. And by then it was way way way too late.

I’m still struggling with PTSD and have been referred for trauma treatment, whatever that is.

sometimes I feel I’m overreacting to it all, I wasn’t beaten to a pulp or molested, but what I feel is how I feel and the nightmares are no joke.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
My mother is a weak and selfish woman who has always put her men before her children. She moved me in with her and my stepdad who subjected me to violence, constant fear and being put down every day. My mum would laugh along with it. She did nothing to protect me and would have a go at me for not feeling able to cuddle him or sit on his lap. Worst event was having my head pushed repeatedly underwater for having a speck of dirt on my neck.

I have nightmares most nights where I am desperately trying to get removed by social services and get away. In reality all I ever did was phone childline from a phone box. I was far too bleeping terrified to ever report anything.

Memories come back to me daily. Today me and my child were doing silly faces and I did one that I’ve been doing since I was little, and immediately got a flashback to my mum making fun of me for it and mocking how stupid my face looked.

I am riddled with horrible memories and mental health problems because of what they did. I can’t even look at our pets without getting flashbacks to him kicking our pet cat across the room and my mum cackling with laughter.

he will never see justice and she will never not see herself as a poor victim who lost her daughter.

duck them both.

I cut contact with him when I left home and I cut contact with her five years ago when I had a nervous breakdown, triggered by her hitting my child. I could never be around her after that let alone have her around my children.

the more distance I get from all the events the more I see clearly that of course I couldn’t pretend everything was alright and be her buddy, having her round for jolly dinners and going to buy plants at the garden centre. She is a selfish cow who never gave a tit about me until she saw fit. And by then it was way way way too late.

I’m still struggling with PTSD and have been referred for trauma treatment, whatever that is.

sometimes I feel I’m overreacting to it all, I wasn’t beaten to a pulp or molested, but what I feel is how I feel and the nightmares are no joke.
Hugs to you ❤ its certainly a trauma that we carry around in our heads. I hope the trauma treatment works for you. Maybe they start with talking and take it from there?

I was remembering earlier that my dad used to yell at my mum calling her a stupid god loving paddy (she was irish and Catholic) I have no idea why it popped into my head but it did.

Hugs to you ❤ its certainly a trauma that we carry around in our heads. I hope the trauma treatment works for you. Maybe they start with talking and take it from there?

I was remembering earlier that my dad used to yell at my mum calling her a stupid god loving paddy (she was irish and Catholic) I have no idea why it popped into my head but it did.
Im not sure how it will work but apparently they’ll contact me within a week so fingers crossed.

it’s so hard when all these random memories keep popping into your head isn’t it?

It's week 5 for me of going non contact with my dad. Yesterday I realised I was starting to feel slightly more peaceful, hopeful and stronger.

My next hurdle is whether he contacts me about my sons birthday which is in a few weeks. He always makes an effort for their birthdays so not sure what move he'll make there.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It's week 5 for me of going non contact with my dad. Yesterday I realised I was starting to feel slightly more peaceful, hopeful and stronger.

My next hurdle is whether he contacts me about my sons birthday which is in a few weeks. He always makes an effort for their birthdays so not sure what move he'll make there.
Well done you! Stay strong and remember you don’t have to explain yourself, No or I don’t want to is a good enough reason 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Sometimes I worry my narc mum isn't that bad, but then I talk to other people are remember she really is 😅

Reactions: 4
Narc Mum here. Grew up idolising her which she fully manipulated. Told me I was a mistake and she only had my sister to please my dad! I had very bad self image issues growing up which she took advantage of, we were neglected and sent to school in filthy uniforms while she walked round in the best clothes etc. She used to tell us how she was the most popular girl in school and told me if I was in her school year she would have bullied me for being a geek. On the other side of this she would also boast about my academic achievements to others but never actually took an interest at home. It all came to a head when I was 14 and my dad found her in bed with a 19 year old colleague (she was 34) and she then decided she was "getting her life back after giving up her young days" and went on a party binge for 10 years resulting in me having to get a job at 15 to buy food for me and my sister, being moved from house to house, being evicted because she owed money or having to leave because she was being chased by drug dealers! Always having dangerous people in our house, I was sexually assaulted by her boyfriend and she threw me out because he told her I made it all up! Was a horrible time in my life.

She's now a cocaine addict living with her parents at 56 years old, I thankfully managed to build a very nice life for myself and have two beautiful children who I adore. Last year she rang me screaming down the phone telling me I was a snob and a fraud and that I'm a "fake f***ING witch" amongst other horrific things. Been no contact mostly, giving her limited supervised contact with my kids however recently she pretended to drop birthday cards with money off for their birthday which she then claims must have been stolen out of my porch (she's lying) so she's back to her old ways. I find it hard to maintain a relationship with her but I can't explain to my kids what she's really like as they're so young so have to keep it to myself. It's caused so many issues with my husband too. I wish I had a proper mum sometimes and when it's mother's Day I just get angry and upset as she's such a vile person

• Heart
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.