Names You Can't Stand #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My year at school had six James'. None were actually known as James 😅 (3 were known by their surname or a diminutive of it, one was known by his initials, one was known as Jim and one was known as Fish for some reason).

• Haha
Reactions: 4
In my class at school there were loads of girls with different versions of Catherine, Elizabeth and Sarah. Like another poster said it was like not having a first name and everyone called them a shortened form of their surname.

In my daughter's class there were 8 Isabella's.

Reactions: 1
We had 3 Adams in my year at primary.

Ashley was a popular boys name at secondary. At least one went by a shortened version of his surname.

Reactions: 4
My name is really common, so I was one of many at school. We referred to each other by name and surname to identify which one we meant 🤣

My name is really common, so I was one of many at school. We referred to each other by name and surname to identify which one we meant 🤣
That's lucky. In my school it was 'Big Claire' and 'Little Claire' and 'Ginger Paul' and 'Tall Paul'.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I'm called Mark, I don't hide that, partly because it's such a common name 😅

Pretty much every class at school and every place I've worked has had multiple (one of my work colleagues had to resort to surnames in an email which included 3 of us...)

It does seem to have lost some popularity after about 1990 though.
I'm married to one 🤣

me too! although in my case, my first anme is more unusual and I don't have a middle name! 🤣
Same for me, I have an unusual twist on a really common 80’s middle name and no actual middle name!
I was in a school year with two Bens, two Lauras with the same initial ( one of them was head girl, so that was a helpful distinguishing feature, at least for year 13!), a couple of Sarahs ( one was a Sarah-Jane though), two Chrises, then Natalie, Gemma, Danielle, Olivia, Clare, George, James, Frank, Michael… One of my best friends was Jane, but her middle name was super cool, a real kick-ass warrior princess name.
Another one was called Zoë,her middle name was Elizabeth. Then she had a double barrelled surname which was B….-R.…. We used to say she had to keep her double-barrelled surname when she married someone with a surname starting with A or E so her initinials would be Zebra/Zèbre, as we lived in France.
There was a Louise too, and teachers would always call me that, or say « Both Louises are present today ». Um, no, Louise is here and so is LouisA!

Reactions: 2
We had Sparky, Goth Mark and Creepy / Crazy Mark in a friend group I was part of.

I was the latter 🤦‍♂️😅

(I freely admit I was indeed both creepy and a bit nuts at the time...)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I was born 1981 and had multiple Christophers and Katies in my class. Also a lot of James, Gemma, Daniel. Two Nias and two Owens, which is weird because I didn't grow up in wales.

Reactions: 2
When I was at primary school (late 90s, early 00s) there were 4 Francescas in the other class, which I think was weird because it's not an unusual name, but it's not as common as names like Olivia or Emma, etc.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.