Names You Can't Stand #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i love teddie as a nickname for edward (or theodore)! it’s very sweet for a child but, like you say, i can’t imagine an adult going by teddie outside of his friends and family, so it’s nice to have “edward” as the actual name. if that makes any sense 🤣

dollie is cute for a baby but i can’t imagine meeting someone my age (36) with that name tbh, it’s almost infantilising.
100% agree. Yeah I can see why people choose Teddy, it’s kind of cute but I agree completely I hope they have a name for when they’re older too as I can’t imagine a 30 year old man saying his name is Teddy and I feel like a lot of people name their kids without thinking of this? Lots of names are cute for babies, toddlers and kids but what about when they become teens and adults?

Reactions: 6
i love teddie as a nickname for edward (or theodore)! it’s very sweet for a child but, like you say, i can’t imagine an adult going by teddie outside of his friends and family, so it’s nice to have “edward” as the actual name. if that makes any sense 🤣

dollie is cute for a baby but i can’t imagine meeting someone my age (36) with that name tbh, it’s almost infantilising.
I had a great aunt called Dolly (nickname) but it’s cute from 75 y/o onwards but like you say from 20 y/o it sounds stupid and immature

Reactions: 1
i mean, full names that end IE - like Amelie, Elodie, Natalie etc are totally fine, but nicknames ending in IE - like yeah, they're cute - but it's kinda hard to imagine an adult called a cutesy nickname as their full name. like, i know boys whose nicknames are Alfie, Archie and Teddie - but they have the actual full names of Alfred, Archibald and Edward. equally, i know a baby girl whose full name is Dollie - and i just can't imagine that aging particularly well! 🤷🏻‍♂️
I met a couple with a three year old called Nikki (they were very insistent on telling me how it was spelled🙄) fine at 3 but not at 33. Why not give her the option of Nicola or Nicole?

Reactions: 2
I met a couple with a three year old called Nikki (they were very insistent on telling me how it was spelled🙄) fine at 3 but not at 33. Why not give her the option of Nicola or Nicole?
exactly!! i have absolutely no issue with nicknames and pet names but at least give the child an option for later. an “evie” might prefer to go by “evelyn” (outside of family) later in life. or a “millie” might rather an “amelia”. likewise “tilly” to “matilda”.

a lot of these names are cute if it’s a mother to a child at whatever age (a friend of mine called felicity’s mother has always called her flossie) but i just can’t imagine my actual name being dollie or lollie or whatever.

Reactions: 5
Have to say I'm the complete opposite! I'm a teacher and I HATE when kids are named one thing and called another, e.g. Abigail on birth cert but have been called Abbie since day 1! If the parents have no intention of ever calling them Abigail, just name them Abbie...

Reactions: 11
Have to say I'm the complete opposite! I'm a teacher and I HATE when kids are named one thing and called another, e.g. Abigail on birth cert but have been called Abbie since day 1! If the parents have no intention of ever calling them Abigail, just name them Abbie...
i honestly never considered it from a teacher pov! that makes sense though - i bet you see some amazing names though 🤣

i would always know if a teacher was about to call my name from the register as there would be a super long pause while they worked out how to pronounce it 🤦🏼‍♀️

100% agree. Yeah I can see why people choose Teddy, it’s kind of cute but I agree completely I hope they have a name for when they’re older too as I can’t imagine a 30 year old man saying his name is Teddy and I feel like a lot of people name their kids without thinking of this? Lots of names are cute for babies, toddlers and kids but what about when they become teens and adults?
I assumed grown men called Teddy called themselves Ted 🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 7
i honestly never considered it from a teacher pov! that makes sense though - i bet you see some amazing names though 🤣

i would always know if a teacher was about to call my name from the register as there would be a super long pause while they worked out how to pronounce it 🤦🏼‍♀️
All the time! I have learned over the years to get them to introduce themselves to me the first time I meet them, that has eliminated any pauses before funny names or any of the abigails who want to be Abbie fiasco!
Some amazing names out there but on the flip side some lovely names are completely ruined for me because a child with the same name has been a wee tit!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’m the same. I have a name like that, baptised one name but never called it at all, called the shortened version of it. So I don’t have any affiliation with the longer name yet it’s all on my professional documents, it’s annoying.

In Tesco doing the food shop today, it was so busy I ended up bumping into the same people going round. It's easy to forget how bloody thick a lot of the population are. Most of them were doing their shopping today. I heared 'COURTENEY, SHAZNAY, 'URRY UP AND CHOOSE WHAT POP YOU WANT'.

I know someone who named her son Adam but, immediately at his birth, said that he’ll be called James. Why??? He is in his 20s now but has never used Adam.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I know someone who named her son Adam but, immediately at his birth, said that he’ll be called James. Why??? He is in his 20s now but has never used Adam.
I really dislike that and dont get it! At graduation David James would be called to receive his diploma but we didnt know anyone with that name, it was the official name of let say a boy named Mike. Is confusing.

i guess there will be a whole future generation of guys in their twenties named Teddy, Alfie, Jimmy, Bobby, Freddie, Ronnie etc referring to themselves as what are currently perceived as typical old-man names - Ted, Alf, Jim, Bob, Fred, Ron, etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
i guess there will be a whole future generation of guys in their twenties named Teddy, Alfie, Jimmy, Bobby, Freddie, Ronnie etc referring to themselves as what are currently perceived as typical old-man names - Ted, Alf, Jim, Bob, Fred, Ron, etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don’t have children yet so mine whenever I have them will potentially be in that same generation and will probably have really boring names compared to most that generation then 🙈 but no, they’re all lovely names but to me there’s a difference between all those names and then Teddy… all the other names are lovely at any stage of life I think. And although Teddy can be shortened to Ted I just wouldn’t use it myself because I’d worry as a teen or a grown man they’d hate telling people their real name! My Mum thought my name was ‘cute’ when she named me but from the age of 10+ I hated it! I just know how it feels to have a name you hate, I go by a shortened name/nickname and hate when I have to tell people my real name or people find it out 🤣

Reactions: 3
THIS and calling them by their middle name... Pisses me off so much

Just found this thread I really dislike the names Peter, Aiden and Lexi

Sounds like a contraceptive pill and a laxative!
very true, but equally i doubt the parents of all the girls named Hannah in the nineties expected that their daughters name would come to be associated with a contraceptive pill!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.