Names you can’t stand #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Alexia". It's the name of a brain disorder characterised by the inability to read. Do the child a favour and pick a similar name (Alexis etc)

Don't like "Sydney" spelt with a Y, that is a major city in Australia. "Sidney" is fine if a bit old-fashioned (it was my grandfather's middle name)

Reactions: 2
I don't think there's many girls names I hate, but I hate the unique 'American' spellings like Mckynzie, Camryn, Jordyn etc.

Boys wise I don't really like Hayden/Aiden/Jayden/Kayden. Also Chad/Brad.

Reactions: 3
Mum Mum Mum 😂 I told my youngest this morning I’m changing my name to Dad, I’m sick of hearing my boys shout Mum
My daughter, who is 2, has just started calling me my first name or mum!

"Alexia". It's the name of a brain disorder characterised by the inability to read. Do the child a favour and pick a similar name (Alexis etc)

Don't like "Sydney" spelt with a Y, that is a major city in Australia. "Sidney" is fine if a bit old-fashioned (it was my grandfather's middle name)
Amelia is to do with limbs not forming- that’s not the first thing people thing of, same with Alexia I should imagine though I’ve only ever heard of Alexis or Alexa.

When i was baby my dad wanted to call me Crystal 🤢🤢 and my husbands dad wanted to call him Colt after the gun!! 😂😂

• Haha
Wow this is a great thread - names are so, erm, emotive! My main problem with names is just how cringey it is, now I have a son in school, that they’re all called the same thing! The teachers must be sick of having to tell apart 30 Olivia, Amelia, Amelie, Oliver, Isla, Freddy, Millie etc. Although I suppose it could make things easier in some ways - just toss out one of those names and you are probably going to be correct.

Do people purposefully find comfort in choosing the most excruciatingly common names? Like, do they consult the top ten baby names list and choose from there? Or do we think we are being wildly inventive then it gets to five years down the line and they start school and we realise we’ve all been brainwashed into using the same names somehow... I find it fascinating!

Haven’t seen my kids names much on here, though Beatrice was mentioned earlier. I have a Beatrix, with an X on the end, but so many people insist on calling her Beatrice still. Again, so fascinating. So fascinating in fact that I’m starting to feel gaslighted that I must be saying it so it sounds like Beatrice instead of Beatrix 😂😬
I don’t have kids but I’d say it’s the latter. When I was younger everyone was Sarah or Rebecca or Rachel or Laura, even Lucy and Alice was less common. Boys were Michael, Daniel, Andrew, Thomas, Matthew lol. These are kids born in the 80s. Then I feel like it moved onto trendier names in the 90s like Madison, Taylor, Kai. Then came the “eternal child” farmhouse style names - molly, Millie, Tilly, Lily, ruby, Alfie, Archie, Charlie, frankie, billy. Like people thought they were being different by using old style names we considered out of style when we were kids. This is when I was about 15 and at the time I loved names like Isabella, Ava, Isla etc but as you say there was THEN a point where I feel everyone felt they were being ‘different’ using those names and now everyone has them and you have 5 Amelie in one class! It’s the same way that names I mentioned like Taylor, Tyler, Jordan, dylan, Madison were ‘different’ in the 90s compared to what our parents picked out before that, but now you wouldn’t blink twice meeting a Taylor it’s not strange these days! I feel like every decade maybe you get a wave of people using names they think are unique and then find out they all had the same idea.

personally I still get people say they’re suprised by myname and have never seen it before. it’sAimee - not hugely uncommon and simply the French way of spelling Amy! However one day recently I was saying how silly it is when people either put Ys where they shouldn’t (eg kymbyrly)OR change a Y to an EE needlessly (eg charlee). The girl I was talking to looked at me funny and thought she was hilarious pointing out my names the same whereas it is actually just the French spelling😩 I mean ngl my parents aren’tFrench LOL so it’s still pretentious but not as pretentious as just swapping Y for EE!

Oh and awful names I’ve come across:
Herbie
Siblings pearl, jewel, gem
Siblings blade, storm, kym (a boy)
My friends a teacher and said she had a kid called nature 😩
There’s a few I could name from my current FB friends but would die if they read here LOL

I dislike the trend for names relating to .. well, the throne? Reign etc. I’ve heard a ton of variations of nameswhere you can tell the parent thought they were being inventive in making a name around the word ‘reign’ or ‘regal’ like their child is the next actual

iv seen people mention crystal 🤣😭🙈 when I was little this was really rare too but I met a girl with it and thought it was so cool. It just sounds awful to me now so chavvy! Chanel is another name that got overused by chavs. I knew a Chanel-Renee in school and she actually was like a wannabe Jordan page 3 type. Also knew a whiter than Taylor swift latesha in school, no hate on that, it was just funny at first so unexpected.

OH and we had boys in school named Clarence and Fredrick hahaha

Last edited:
Ok time for a little rant (takes a breath) a pet hate of mine is the current trend for giving kids an abbreviated first name.It just sets my teeth on edge as names have meanings(some of them old even ancient) and you shouldn't just chop them up and trivialise them to make them cute or trendy..(imo).
Arrgghh...as follows
Harry/ harold meaning army power.
Alfie/alfred meaning elf counsel
Freddie/frederick meaning peaceful ruler
Millie/mildred or millicent or even emily.
For example i have a son called alex but on his birth certificate its alexander and my daughter is called vivi but her name is viviana but they got given the full name at birth. I've nothing against nick names but why give your child a nick name and not the full version? I'm sure that when my daughter gets older we will revert to calling her viviana but vivi on a child (i think is cute?) but my point is at least she has the option.
Shortened names just seem babyish and infantile once you reach a certain age imo.
Also it could be seen as disrespecting the power or meaning of the name so if you don't like harold and feel like its an old man name fair enough but to call your child harry (which is derived from the same meaning just seems a bit cheeky to me?) as if we had the right to take liberties with a name and chop and change it to suit ourselves.
Sorry to anyone who has given their child any of the above names but as a trend i just see it as really vauous and it annoys me to such an extent that i just had to have a little rant:D.
Also my husband is from albania and i have to laugh at some of the versions that they have of western names...
For example tracey is spelt trejsi (i.e trejsi sejdini very famous model) and also casey is spelt kejsi (kejsi tola famous singer)
Actually the albanians could have a seperate thread of their own for weird and wonderful names the ones that spring to mind are as follows...sidorela...kleofina....zanfina..tinka..
reshat...qani...yes well lets just say that some names belong in to their original culture and do not translate very well...

Ok time for a little rant (takes a breath) a pet hate of mine is the current trend for giving kids an abbreviated first name.It just sets my teeth on edge as names have meanings(some of them old even ancient) and you shouldn't just chop them up and trivialise them to make them cute or trendy..(imo).
Arrgghh...as follows
Harry/ harold meaning army power.
Alfie/alfred meaning elf counsel
Freddie/frederick meaning peaceful ruler
Millie/mildred or millicent or even emily.
For example i have a son called alex but on his birth certificate its alexander and my daughter is called vivi but her name is viviana but they got given the full name at birth. I've nothing against nick names but why give your child a nick name and not the full version? I'm sure that when my daughter gets older we will revert to calling her viviana but vivi on a child (i think is cute?) but my point is at least she has the option.
Shortened names just seem babyish and infantile once you reach a certain age imo.
Also it could be seen as disrespecting the power or meaning of the name so if you don't like harold and feel like its an old man name fair enough but to call your child harry (which is derived from the same meaning just seems a bit cheeky to me?) as if we had the right to take liberties with a name and chop and change it to suit ourselves
I agree. We always intended our boys to be known by the abbreviated forms of their names but had the full versions on their birth certificates so they had the choice as they got older.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Haha my sister liked the name Charlie but didn’t go with it as her husband insisted it should be Charles on the birth certificate/any official stuff such as CV.

Tbh when I’ve recruited I’ve never judged by a name (eg Charlie wouldn’t throw me) but I don’t work in a ‘proper’ professional industry (I use that term loosely) eg law or something where maybe they would care? I can see names like that just about flying these days as they’re so common but can’t imagine some of the more radical names being taken seriously. Eg nature (still kills me)

Reactions: 1
There’s a young lady selling on FB named Mersaydiz.
Perhaps it’s a silly FB spelling?! Kids named Rouge-Rose & Harleyquinn.
I feel as though these names won’t age well

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
I know someone who has 2 girls roughly 3 years apart in age.
Eylah and Lylah.

Why not just Isla and Lila? I don't get the rhyming but that can be forgiven when the names are spelt normally. To me it just seems lazy 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My mother is Amina her sister Samina.

:ROFLMAO:

I heard of a newborn baby boy called Cosmo.

At this moment (still single) I'd want to name my daughter Arwen (Lord of the rings) or River (From the movie Serenity) . I also love Charlie though and the one I knew his parents also called him Charles officially.

My children’s school have a Beyoncé-Honey and a Sapphire 😳
My cousin is a Sapphire. Her brother Farron.

Last edited:
Uhm... I think we might be soulmates? 😍

I worked with someone who had an Alfie and a Freddy, with another baby on the way. She planned on calling the next Charlie. I just wondered how Alfie, Freddy and Charlie would be taken seriously at work once they reached middle age. 😳

Just give your child an actual name FFS - you can shorten it and given them a nickname at home. (And yes, I'm talking to you, Harry and Meghan. 😂)
I agree! My little boy is Theodore on his birth certificate but we call him Teddy now. Gives him the choice when he’s older as it is nicknamey but suits him so much. He gets Ted a lot.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.