My Frugal year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you for the recs HTRIA ❤

It’s interesting I’ve noticed it with a few preloved/second hand clothes people I follow pre and post monetisation of their accounts - and it’s obvious when going to charity shops is no longer a cute activity/something you do when you need (not want) new clothing and is instead an income stream. Idk charity shop hauls costing lots of money don’t sit right with me for lots of reasons.

Lol and now whinging about swimming lessons. Honestly I get that life and chores can be mundane and tiring but get a grip girl taking your child to an extra curricular activity that’s an important life skill is hardly storming the Normandy beaches is it.
Considering she's usually going on about cherishing time with H being her last (and favourite) child, like you say I don't get why she's whinging about.. well spending time with her 😆

I'm calling it now, she'll be bragging next week that H is swimming the Atlantic ocean back stroke - she's been boasting since H was 6 months old about her starting to walk 🙄

Not disagreeing with this but I honestly think things are changing somewhat because of just how bad the economy is. Millennials who are used to only ever living in a low interest rate economy whilst simultaneously having shite hyper targeted to them/consuming more than any generation prior to us has are waking up to horrific situations - it’s not rare to hear about £30/40k credit card debts on TikTok atm. I do agree that the social media side of it makes the brand deals inevitable because as soon as they gain an audience they’re able to monetise it, but I think knowing when to pull the plug on someone is key here. I think there are accounts where the person has had a profound spiritual awakening re consumption and capitalism where they no longer participate in the harmful cycles that perpetuate it, and they tend to make the highest quality content of most interest (to me lol) filled with personal reflections and a real lifestyle change. It’s the ones who just want to clear the debt so they can resume buying more that end up like Clare.
Yes, I think there's now two different aspects to financial difficulties now, and you're quite right to point it out. There's the bog standard budget/plan/cook from scratch/look for the best deals advice you get on MoneySavingExpert type sites, but then there's the "resisting influencers/overconsumption" side of things which I do underestimate, because I don't experience it in that form. I have no problem not opening IG or TikTok for a month at a time because I don't really enjoy watching short videos, so the algorithm doesn't really know what to do with me and just advertises the London Dungeon at me all the time (don't ask me, I have no idea either). But I used to get suckered in hard by bloggers back in the day, because the written word accompanied by pretty pictures is apparently the way my brain is tickled. And they weren't employing these intense and insiduous selling techniques that we see now.

I absolutely agree that Clare hasn't actually addressed her issues around money and aesthetic items. And the annoying thing is that any time anyone points this out, she doesn't self-reflect; she just sulks, makes pass-agg posts, and carries on consuming, consuming, consuming. And encouraging others to do the same. I mean in what world is Hello Fresh a money saver? It's absolutely nuts.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yes, I think there's now two different aspects to financial difficulties now, and you're quite right to point it out. There's the bog standard budget/plan/cook from scratch/look for the best deals advice you get on MoneySavingExpert type sites, but then there's the "resisting influencers/overconsumption" side of things which I do underestimate, because I don't experience it in that form. I have no problem not opening IG or TikTok for a month at a time because I don't really enjoy watching short videos, so the algorithm doesn't really know what to do with me and just advertises the London Dungeon at me all the time (don't ask me, I have no idea either). But I used to get suckered in hard by bloggers back in the day, because the written word accompanied by pretty pictures is apparently the way my brain is tickled. And they weren't employing these intense and insiduous selling techniques that we see now.

I absolutely agree that Clare hasn't actually addressed her issues around money and aesthetic items. And the annoying thing is that any time anyone points this out, she doesn't self-reflect; she just sulks, makes pass-agg posts, and carries on consuming, consuming, consuming. And encouraging others to do the same. I mean in what world is Hello Fresh a money saver? It's absolutely nuts.
I love this comment & it’s made me so nostalgic for blogs 🥲 such a sweet and innocent time lol before the implosion of fast fashion (and the rest) & monetisation & #algos. It wasn’t perfect at all but the current situation is terrible.

Agree compleeeetely re the lack of accountability. I feel like this economy is encouraging us all to look at what is actually normal versus what we’ve been fed for the past decade & what’s sustainable not just for the planet but for us as people/households? Like rebasing our expectations in life in line with what the reality of our economy actually is. I’ve always been a very financially fearful person so I’ve thankfully not found myself in some of the situations you see on TikTok atm (by the grace of god go I / not judging anyone who has the odds are so stacked against us!!) but now am hyper conscious that there are so many additional things to consider as a financial decision maker for our household? Like the economy, inflation, mass lay offs, the housing market, global instability, etc, etc, and I find it bizarre when alleged financial influencers don’t talk about those things? It’s just like ok here’s my 15% off voucher or cash back app of the minute, or perpetuating (quite frankly dangerous) delusions about the property market with her algorithmically generated house valuation that means absolutely nothing. Idk what point I’m even trying to land sorry it’s just so shallow both in like… depth of focus and prioritising of stuff? Just relentlessly discussing how to shop “better” 😴 as if we were morons beforehand?! And yes re hello fresh, it has a time and a place but she’s got a large family so find it hard to believe it’s advantageous for her circumstances?!

Reactions: 1
I love this comment & it’s made me so nostalgic for blogs 🥲 such a sweet and innocent time lol before the implosion of fast fashion (and the rest) & monetisation & #algos. It wasn’t perfect at all but the current situation is terrible.

Agree compleeeetely re the lack of accountability. I feel like this economy is encouraging us all to look at what is actually normal versus what we’ve been fed for the past decade & what’s sustainable not just for the planet but for us as people/households? Like rebasing our expectations in life in line with what the reality of our economy actually is. I’ve always been a very financially fearful person so I’ve thankfully not found myself in some of the situations you see on TikTok atm (by the grace of god go I / not judging anyone who has the odds are so stacked against us!!) but now am hyper conscious that there are so many additional things to consider as a financial decision maker for our household? Like the economy, inflation, mass lay offs, the housing market, global instability, etc, etc, and I find it bizarre when alleged financial influencers don’t talk about those things? It’s just like ok here’s my 15% off voucher or cash back app of the minute, or perpetuating (quite frankly dangerous) delusions about the property market with her algorithmically generated house valuation that means absolutely nothing. Idk what point I’m even trying to land sorry it’s just so shallow both in like… depth of focus and prioritising of stuff? Just relentlessly discussing how to shop “better” 😴 as if we were morons beforehand?! And yes re hello fresh, it has a time and a place but she’s got a large family so find it hard to believe it’s advantageous for her circumstances?!
Yes, bloggers were far from perfect and there was definitely a whole lot of monetisation there, but I was honestly protected from most of that because they seemed to buy everything from Target which we don't have here, lol. I definitely bought a couple of bottles of really rank essential oil that was definitely not essential though!

I think the anticonsumerism influencers are good, but I still don't think they get it. I've been watching a few "anti-influencer" videos this morning while I do a dull admin job at work, and while they make good points, I don't think they tend to tend to get at the heart of the problem. This video:

was was very good, and yet at the same time she waved around and discussed her 'yeti' bottle repeatedly, which is just as expensive as a Stanley cup! And there was a similar craze for them about a year ago which she doesn't address. There seems to be half a message of "yes we know we shouldn't be pandering to these trends" while ignoring that they either did in the past, or are STILL getting suckered in now. Shopping "better" is no solution when we don't need any of this stuff in the first place. Clare really shouldn't be using her own personal story as a cv for being a financial adviser, because what's the advice here? "I stopped spending my quite large salary on tat and...*coughgotabookdealthatpaidoffmydebtcough*...after that *coughhusbandgotabetterpaidjobcough*...anyway here's a link to an affiliate, byeeeee!" 🤔

Reactions: 2
I’m going to start reporting her to the ASA, she forgets to mention she profits from the referral links.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So we've established ages ago that H is the golden child - made even more clear with this story about "what a joy" she is. But this one about her younger son? Ok Clare, so your middle child is obviously your least favourite bleeping hell 🙄

Screenshot_2024-02-25-18-28-00-675.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-25-18-28-14-250.jpg

The stories yesterday are just another example of how anyone who doesn’t agree or calls her out are labelled as ‘trolls’. It’s not trolling if you have a different onion to someone. Being held accountable for your actions when you’re enticing others into debt or profiteering from them does not make someone a troll.

So she's thinking of changing her Instagram handle, perhaps we could come up with some suggestions for her. My first offering is "Woe is me"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
The friend’s advice is the level of shade we give on the thread - in that you aren’t frugal so the frugal year schtick is inauthentic hence why you’re getting tit for it.

I cringe seeing her film purposefully in front of the lick samples. It’s so Instagram-y and consumer which was meant to be what she opposes!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
The stories yesterday are just another example of how anyone who doesn’t agree or calls her out are labelled as ‘trolls’. It’s not trolling if you have a different onion to someone. Being held accountable for your actions when you’re enticing others into debt or profiteering from them does not make someone a troll.
Coukd not agree more. She is really frustrating me. The financial impact of having children was "devastating" apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
and repaint and redecorate, go to centre parcs, AND plan to save £10,000 this year! The sacrifices this girl has made wow x
And that’s the thing isn’t it? She never did the work. Never made the sacrifices to pay the debt off. So I don’t know why anyone would take her seriously. The book deal bailed her out, and she’s still overspending.
---
And her nails look like she’s been playing with the kids’ playdoh.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I try not to get personal but I will comment on her nails as they can be easily changed and say they look tit. What a waste of money.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The most interesting thing about her was that she was bad with money, but she got out of debt in the least relatable way possible. Nobody can learn from her story. Should we all get book deals through our media connections?
Now she's a middle class mum with a mortgage who does all the insta mum cliche spending because she can afford it on her higher than average self employed income.
She has no financial expertise and hasn't grown at all through getting out of debt.
What does she even talk about when she's hired for a panel? Baffling

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The most interesting thing about her was that she was bad with money, but she got out of debt in the least relatable way possible. Nobody can learn from her story. Should we all get book deals through our media connections?
Now she's a middle class mum with a mortgage who does all the insta mum cliche spending because she can afford it on her higher than average self employed income.
She has no financial expertise and hasn't grown at all through getting out of debt.
What does she even talk about when she's hired for a panel? Baffling
I always wonder what happens when insta dries up and they’ve got a £400,00 (first time!) mortgage to pay.

Reactions: 3
my favourite influencer thing is when they pretend people are asking them questions on instagram and then write every single one in an identical tone and style x

• Haha