My Frugal year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tattlers comments have clearly hit a raw nerve. As @melonsandlemons said she doesn't want to admit to her privileged position as it doesn't align with her "frugal" brand image. She must be making a tidy sum with all her constant affiliate linkss dressed up as helpful advice.
You can’t resell Kelloggs love.

Look, anyone who is effectively just off maternity leave and with a baby in childcare, who also has other kids AND plans to save ten thousand pounds in between trips to Centre Parcs is rich. Sorry. They just are. There is absolutely NOTHING in her posts that shows how you can save that level of money on an ordinary wage through her “frugal” tips. She spunks hundreds and hundreds of pounds on unnecessary fashionable items all the time and just because she doesn’t buy them brand new all the time we’re meant to think this is a money saving tip. It’s bleeping not. Buying all branded food items is also bleeping not. Buying personalised journals from Papier, eating Hello Fresh, bespoke carpentry in your house instead of banging up some shelves, Elemis skincare - NOT FRUGAL. Take that out of her brand and address the actual problem - a spending addiction and struggling with the urge to follow every fashion trend and have a house fit for Instagram - and I’d be interested. I just cannot relate when she says “well with THIS baby I didn’t buy the latest version of every single thing brand new! Some of the baby stuff doesn’t even match, tee hee” and thinks it’s advice.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
You can’t resell Kelloggs love.

Look, anyone who is effectively just off maternity leave and with a baby in childcare, who also has other kids AND plans to save ten thousand pounds in between trips to Centre Parcs is rich. Sorry. They just are. There is absolutely NOTHING in her posts that shows how you can save that level of money on an ordinary wage through her “frugal” tips. She spunks hundreds and hundreds of pounds on unnecessary fashionable items all the time and just because she doesn’t buy them brand new all the time we’re meant to think this is a money saving tip. It’s bleeping not. Buying all branded food items is also bleeping not. Buying personalised journals from Papier, eating Hello Fresh, bespoke carpentry in your house instead of banging up some shelves, Elemis skincare - NOT FRUGAL. Take that out of her brand and address the actual problem - a spending addiction and struggling with the urge to follow every fashion trend and have a house fit for Instagram - and I’d be interested. I just cannot relate when she says “well with THIS baby I didn’t buy the latest version of every single thing brand new! Some of the baby stuff doesn’t even match, tee hee” and thinks it’s advice.

She reminds me of my sister in law (also a smug, stuck up cow).

Has a brand new car, lovely big house, 4/5 abroad holidays a year... Yet claims they are "so poor" because they do their food shopping at Aldi 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I haven’t actually seen any supposedly frugal tips from her this year. Just a lot of her justifying why she spends a lot of money on expensive, branded stuff.

Reactions: 6
She keeps giving herself away. Keeping the same phone for 3-4 years is perfectly normal. You are not some sort of saint for not constantly upgrading your phone and if you feel the need to point it out… 🤷‍♀️

It’s the influencer pyramid scheme at work isn’t it? She was in the influencer hype cycle when she was on an average salary - as a consumer. This developed into a shopping addiction. Rather than opt out she just… found a way to move further up the pyramid scheme. Now she gets sent free stuff and earns huge amounts of money for doing very little. Encouraging others to buy stuff via her links and envy her life, to increase her own wealth. Suddenly there’s nothing wrong with being an influencer because she’s one of the ‘good’ ones.

It’s impossible to square away and she knows that, hence why she’s constantly so defensive.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I haven’t actually seen any supposedly frugal tips from her this year. Just a lot of her justifying why she spends a lot of money on expensive, branded stuff.
Yes, always justifying, getting defensive and uppity when someone dares ask a polite question, despite saying she enjoys a healthy debate 🤣 unless someone's arse licking her she has a meltdown over the slightest criticism - definitely gone full on insta wanker! 🤣

• Heart
Yes, always justifying, getting defensive and uppity when someone dares ask a polite question, despite saying she enjoys a healthy debate 🤣 unless someone's arse licking her she has a meltdown over the slightest criticism - definitely gone full on insta wanker! 🤣
She ends up in debt and poor money situations because she doesn’t address the root of the problem- her addiction. She is just lucky that right now other people are funding her lifestyle. She isn’t working an ordinary job, she is monopolising vulnerable people in order to benefit her. People who she once was, trying to find way to solve money problems.
The trouble is she encourages spending still but doesn’t see this. People don’t need to sign up to hello fresh, or gousto they need to just cook homemade meals. They don’t need to use snoop to see where they spend, they just need to sit down with a pen and paper. She is encouraging people to spend needless money as she gains from it and until she addresses that she is part of the problem.
There have been no frugal tips this year. Frugal does not mean saving £10,000 in a year, or putting away £1000 a month. No normal salary can do this. Buying expensive items second hand so they hold their value for resale- no just buy cheap and cheerful fit for purpose. Why expensive brands?
She is a snob that has got addicted and drawn into the instagrammer lifestyle. She has struggled with contracts and disappointment during this maternity leave apparently. This should be an insight into what happens when Instagram becomes dead. How will she fund her lifestyle then?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
She keeps giving herself away. Keeping the same phone for 3-4 years is perfectly normal. You are not some sort of saint for not constantly upgrading your phone and if you feel the need to point it out… 🤷‍♀️

It’s the influencer pyramid scheme at work isn’t it? She was in the influencer hype cycle when she was on an average salary - as a consumer. This developed into a shopping addiction. Rather than opt out she just… found a way to move further up the pyramid scheme. Now she gets sent free stuff and earns huge amounts of money for doing very little. Encouraging others to buy stuff via her links and envy her life, to increase her own wealth. Suddenly there’s nothing wrong with being an influencer because she’s one of the ‘good’ ones.

It’s impossible to square away and she knows that, hence why she’s constantly so defensive.
This is so insightful, I totally agree.

It's funny because years ago I used to read her posts years ago and think "Great, good for her, she says the odd thing that's useful and it's satisfying to watch the debt decrease." Now I'm just baffled by her. I remember being caught up in a spend, spend, spend mentality when I was younger - every night out needed a new outfit, every season needed a new coat, I'd upgrade my phone whenever offered, all that crap. But I didn't have kids then! She still comes across as very immature in a lot of these posts.

What I can't work out is why her thought patterns don't appear to have changed at all since having kids. Your priorities usually change completely, because it is just so expensive to work and have babies. Why is she posting about having an older phone or a secondhand high chair as revelations when she's on baby number three. I mean, it's just the norm, isn't it? I have friends whose income is three times the combined income of me and my partner put together, and they still share round bags of kids clothes with me, or offer a lend of a highchair, or happily take a bag of my kids' clothes for themselves.

I don't think she's ever got to the root of where this is all coming from, at the end of the day. She was getting out of debt in a sensible way (even though it did seem like she had the kind of income even then that meant if she just stopped spending on needless crap she'd solve the problem easily) Then the book deal came and solved all the problems and she's back to spend spend spend, and not really addressing why. Why does she spend all day looking at things she wants to buy, or buying expensive things and justifying them afterwards like a sulky teenager? What is she trying to distract herself from? She does seem unhappy, even if it's coming out as complaining which is irritating!

Anyway, I have no idea why I've just spent so long thinking about this, lol. I think it's because I used to find her posts interesting and it's a shame what her account has become really.
---
She ends up in debt and poor money situations because she doesn’t address the root of the problem- her addiction. She is just lucky that right now other people are funding her lifestyle. She isn’t working an ordinary job, she is monopolising vulnerable people in order to benefit her. People who she once was, trying to find way to solve money problems.
The trouble is she encourages spending still but doesn’t see this. People don’t need to sign up to hello fresh, or gousto they need to just cook homemade meals. They don’t need to use snoop to see where they spend, they just need to sit down with a pen and paper. She is encouraging people to spend needless money as she gains from it and until she addresses that she is part of the problem.
There have been no frugal tips this year. Frugal does not mean saving £10,000 in a year, or putting away £1000 a month. No normal salary can do this. Buying expensive items second hand so they hold their value for resale- no just buy cheap and cheerful fit for purpose. Why expensive brands?
She is a snob that has got addicted and drawn into the instagrammer lifestyle. She has struggled with contracts and disappointment during this maternity leave apparently. This should be an insight into what happens when Instagram becomes dead. How will she fund her lifestyle then?
Oh man, forget my comment, just read this one. SPOT ON! The insidiousness of the encouraging others to spend is just absolutely gross.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think one of the reasons I liked her posts initially was because I recognised a lot of myself in there… I had a bit of a spending problem and got caught up in a frenzy of buying baby Bjorn this, that and the other for baby no 1, didn’t want anything second hand etc. But I addressed the problem, worked on it, and got myself out of it. By baby no 3 I don’t think I bought him anything new!
I think because her debt was essentially paid off by the book deal/‘influencing’ etc, she hasn’t actually got to the root of her problem. And that is the spending addiction, and the desperation to look ‘middle class’.

Reactions: 8
I just can’t get over the fact she thought buying some high end influencer friendly Mori sleep suits second hand for £45 is frugal! Sums it up to me lolz. Agree with what everyone’s said so eloquently and well!

• Haha
Also, it’s absolutely hilarious to me that she considers ‘using the same 5 Elemis face products’ to be money saving 😂

• Haha
Problem: every time I go into Boots I can’t help buying the newest must have serum or expensive SPF
Clare’s solution: Well how I solved it was to become an influencer hun! Then you can buy a full regime from a high end brand. That way when when you tempted by the new £10 Garnier product in Boots you can remind yourself you have better luxury goods at home. Because you’re worth it! Also if I keep tagging said luxury brand whilst I lecture you about your impulse spending they will send me free stuff and also here’s my affiliate link, I’ll make 5-12% on everything you buy for the next 30 days 😜

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
Also, it’s absolutely hilarious to me that she considers ‘using the same 5 Elemis face products’ to be money saving 😂
Five!! Like, I'd be the first to admit I have no skincare routine (unless a bar of soap + a tube of Nivea is a skincare routine) so maybe I don't get it, but why could none of those five things be Superdrug brand? Her skin does look great, to be fair, haha. But she's only 34, of course it does.

This and @PineappleQueen19’s posts are brilliant and so spot on.

She’s struggling for work because marketing spends are down big time and she’s just an influencer 🤷🏻‍♀️ she’s not a financial advisor and she doesn’t actually know anything (that she shares?) about how to grow money, just much like her peers how to spend your money optimally, or spend in a way that means you can resell to spend again in the future.

Her showing so much of her home is a dead giveaway of this. Firstly she’s obviously a consumer of whatever is cool for a moment, but that’ll soon (if not already) become dated and need replacing. No one expects her to buy the cheapest of everything or anything, just not flog the lifestyle she is? I don’t want to be a mean witch but Stokke chairs and Lick (or whoever it was) paint isn’t for a household that are struggling with work contracts and savings, she needs to deprogram her brain and realise she’s being sold this tat by the generationally wealthy lot who get it for free or have a 40% LTV mortgage they’re repaying for £low hundreds a month. She’s falling for the tit all over again but worse is perpetuating it now.

• Heart
I feel bad slating her entirely, because I feel that in the beginning she did address the things that @heretoreaditall2019 talks about. But now I feel that she never really got it, and all the frugality was with the aim of freeing up cash to spend on Cool New Things, not actually move away from that mindset at all. And there seems to be an urgency to do everything NOW (like decorating the house) when financially, is this the right time? Probably not. There's no sense of saving up, or waiting because they have a small baby and right now it isn't possible, which is such a valuable financial lesson to learn IMO. I remember a friend's parents not being able to fix their kitchen until they'd saved up for a long time. Her mum just used to stick pictures of Daley Thompson over the holes in the wall! LOL. That's showing my age...

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I feel bad slating her entirely, because I feel that in the beginning she did address the things that @heretoreaditall2019 talks about. But now I feel that she never really got it, and all the frugality was with the aim of freeing up cash to spend on Cool New Things, not actually move away from that mindset at all. And there seems to be an urgency to do everything NOW (like decorating the house) when financially, is this the right time? Probably not. There's no sense of saving up, or waiting because they have a small baby and right now it isn't possible, which is such a valuable financial lesson to learn IMO. I remember a friend's parents not being able to fix their kitchen until they'd saved up for a long time. Her mum just used to stick pictures of Daley Thompson over the holes in the wall! LOL. That's showing my age...
We’ve been saving to replace our kitchen for 6 years so far! And we’re higher earners. But we also have 3 young kids so high childcare costs, and a big mortgage, so it’s had to wait. One day…

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I can't believe it took her to baby number 3 to realise not everything has to be matching. What planet is she on? We were quite confortable (not loaded 🤣) when we had our first and it never occured to me in a million years to want all matching stuff. Thinking about it, i'm not even sure what she means ... what was she matching with what?!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The rush to decorate the new house is particularly bonkers/mainly for the gram. When we moved into a new build we were told not to decorate straight away because it would just crack as the house settles.

Reactions: 4
The rush to decorate the new house is particularly bonkers/mainly for the gram. When we moved into a new build we were told not to decorate straight away because it would just crack as the house settles.

She probably blames it on her ADHD 🫠🫠

• Haha