My Frugal year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her PPI ad has one comment! Whenever she teams up with a financial product, the engagement is always awful. People don't want this content from her.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Hitting financial targets due to stopping getting takeaways and sticking to the ‘two shop method’….. but a few days ago she was shilling Hello Fresh to her followers as a service she swears by 🙄
Wasn’t she telling people that buying Hello Fresh stopped them from falling into the takeaway trap?!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just read her post about buying baby items and clothes second hand and not necessarily the most expensive and new.
No tit Sherlock, it took you 3 kids to realise that? It is just common sense whether you are on a budget or not

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just read her post about buying baby items and clothes second hand and not necessarily the most expensive and new.
No tit Sherlock, it took you 3 kids to realise that? It is just common sense whether you are on a budget or not
It's so weird to me that she had to buy so much for this baby as well - was she a surprise maybe? I don't read all of her posts. You'd think you'd hang onto some bits from your older kids otherwise. And also, does she not have any friends or family with kids who give her hand-me-downs? I honestly got given SO many things secondhand from friends who'd completed their families, or things on loan if they were between babies. Some of my friends said they'd thought about selling them but the resale value is so low (if you've just bought ordinary stuff and not Mori) that it was easier just to pass it on to someone else. It was funny, I was helping out on a school trip and the woman running the workshop (whos is also a mum at school) asked my 5 year old daughter a question and said "I'll ask you because my daughter used to have a cardigan just the same as yours. But she's 14 now!" Then another mum said "actually, that is your daughter's cardigan, you gave it to me years ago and I gave it to her after my two were finished with it" LOL. The never-ending cardie. And I've now passed it on to another friend so it lives on! And it was only a Tu one. You don't need to spend £100 on something for it to last!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I wondered if there was a thread and if it was just me that was feeling a way and I’m glad to see it’s not just me.

She has a problem with shopping and spending. She was forced into a position to address it but the second she was able to monitise her content, she did and the spending started. I’ve yet to see any actual money saving tips as of late and it’s been replaced by her justifying her spending.

I was done the second she partnered with Klarna. I think it’s despicable when the average influencer with a following does it, let alone an apparent frugal champion.

Goes to show her “I’m one of the people” act was just that. She was quick to sell her soul.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I wondered if there was a thread and if it was just me that was feeling a way and I’m glad to see it’s not just me.

She has a problem with shopping and spending. She was forced into a position to address it but the second she was able to monitise her content, she did and the spending started. I’ve yet to see any actual money saving tips as of late and it’s been replaced by her justifying her spending.

I was done the second she partnered with Klarna. I think it’s despicable when the average influencer with a following does it, let alone an apparent frugal champion.

Goes to show her “I’m one of the people” act was just that. She was quick to sell her soul.

I started this thread! Glad others have joined in my way of thinking about her 😁

Why is she so cryptic about the golden child's name?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I started this thread! Glad others have joined in my way of thinking about her 😁

To drive up engagement I suspect….

Bravo for starting this, if she refuses to be accountable on her social media then she needs to be somewhere

Reactions: 2
The hello fresh/Klarna pathway is just laziness though. Financial coaching/wellness/planning is SUCH a big area online now, I follow so many great accounts - some professional some just normal candid vlog style. But all of them have normal day jobs too whether they’re actual wealth managers or advisors or other non money related jobs, the online content just tops up that salary, whereas it looks as if hers is wholly dependent on floggy content? 😬😬

• Heart
Reactions: 7
To drive up engagement I suspect….

Bravo for starting this, if she refuses to be accountable on her social media then she needs to be somewhere
A few people seemed to be upset that I didn't like St Claire but they're waking up now 🤣 she's so smug and full of self importance it's unreal

Reactions: 2

The way she posts about her sons vs her daughter is wild to me. Golden child indeed. Although at least I don’t know what the boys look like which is how it should be.

Any good financial planning accounts on IG or TikTok people would recommend? ☺

• Heart
The way she posts about her sons vs her daughter is wild to me. Golden child indeed. Although at least I don’t know what the boys look like which is how it should be.

But remember it's ok to post "H" and her face because she's "going to grow with her Instagram profile" 🤣🤣 more like she knows that baby girls sell more and get better engagement, so she gives zero fucks about selling the golden child's privacy for extra 💰💰💰

• Haha
Mainly I think it’s just looking up de influencing content & engaging (viewing, liking, commenting) on financial bits that has made my FYP pretty relevant, but if I had to think of my favs off the top of my head it’d be:
* Philly wealth management, she’s not 100% relevant to 100% of the people but she speaks really well and soothingly on things (imo) and is actually regulated to speak on things which is an essential yet such a rarity online
* @abidaunton isn’t so much about financial planning but she’s doing a series on her excessive beauty consumption and she’s just done some slides spelling out the last 2 years wherein she spent £12k on beauty, and up to £4k on just one site. I think that sort of self reflection is really powerful/interesting/makes you reconsider capitalism and what drives our compulsions
* @miawestrap is just doing a no buy year but I find her quite personable/funny and like to follow along
* Dave Ramsey (but with a massive but!) generates a lot of content online and I watch it in a gawping at an accident on the motorway sort of way, BUT his attitude towards personal finance isn’t relevant to today’s economy/he’s a bit god squad adjacent so huge caveat there. But I (personally!!) like that he’s so anti debt of all form including the mortgage as it’s a message you don’t ever hear these days as we’re just constantly being influenced to be consumers
* @honestpersonalfinance - another divisive one he’s basically an angry man shouting at you not to buy things and to prioritise building wealth, I don’t enjoy his content in a relaxing way but every time I watch one of his videos my mental “to buy” list erodes and I’ll make a decision better for myself as a result.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

IG and TikTok? Nope. Never seen one that isn’t in some way trying to flog something and anyway you get advertised to the entire time you’re on the app. My best tip is to go on the MoneySavingExpert forums (especially the “Old Style” threads) and get advice from thrifty pensioners who are unimpressed by fads and wouldn’t know a TikTokker if they found one in their (homemade) soup.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
IG and TikTok? Nope. Never seen one that isn’t in some way trying to flog something and anyway you get advertised to the entire time you’re on the app. My best tip is to go on the MoneySavingExpert forums (especially the “Old Style” threads) and get advice from thrifty pensioners who are unimpressed by fads and wouldn’t know a TikTokker if they found one in their (homemade) soup.
Not disagreeing with this but I honestly think things are changing somewhat because of just how bad the economy is. Millennials who are used to only ever living in a low interest rate economy whilst simultaneously having shite hyper targeted to them/consuming more than any generation prior to us has are waking up to horrific situations - it’s not rare to hear about £30/40k credit card debts on TikTok atm. I do agree that the social media side of it makes the brand deals inevitable because as soon as they gain an audience they’re able to monetise it, but I think knowing when to pull the plug on someone is key here. I think there are accounts where the person has had a profound spiritual awakening re consumption and capitalism where they no longer participate in the harmful cycles that perpetuate it, and they tend to make the highest quality content of most interest (to me lol) filled with personal reflections and a real lifestyle change. It’s the ones who just want to clear the debt so they can resume buying more that end up like Clare.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
She does nothing but whinge nowadays. I don’t know how she doesn’t bore herself.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Thank you for the recs HTRIA ❤

It’s interesting I’ve noticed it with a few preloved/second hand clothes people I follow pre and post monetisation of their accounts - and it’s obvious when going to charity shops is no longer a cute activity/something you do when you need (not want) new clothing and is instead an income stream. Idk charity shop hauls costing lots of money don’t sit right with me for lots of reasons.

Lol and now whinging about swimming lessons. Honestly I get that life and chores can be mundane and tiring but get a grip girl taking your child to an extra curricular activity that’s an important life skill is hardly storming the Normandy beaches is it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I’ll add The Broke Generation. Especially if you need to curb spending, ahem.

• Heart