My Frugal year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Using ££££ Farrow and Ball testers as if it’s a hack because a small pot costs less than a big pot is such a Jack Monroe hack lmfao. If it’s an overhyped instagram friendly middle class brand you can guarantee Clare has it in her house x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Using ££££ Farrow and Ball testers as if it’s a hack because a small pot costs less than a big pot is such a Jack Monroe hack lmfao. If it’s an overhyped instagram friendly middle class brand you can guarantee Clare has it in her house x

And in the next breath, she's posting about how NOT to purchase over hyped things. Example -

"*Whispers* you don't need a Stanley cup" 🙄🙄

Anyone else get the rage when she says "whispers" on one of those posts? Can just imagine her whispering smugly in her posh voice 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
And in the next breath, she's posting about how NOT to purchase over hyped things. Example -

Anyone else get the rage when she says "whispers" on one of those posts? Can just imagine her whispering smugly in her posh voice 🤣
Yes! As though she’s saying something entirely controversial and out there. I know I don’t need a Stanley cup. That’s why I don’t have one 🤷🏻‍♀️.

She’s above Dulux or own brand paint now she’s a cash cow. I’ve genuinely never walked into anyone’s house and thought “oh look there’s that farrow and ball paint on the wall”

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I liked a farrow and ball shade for my son’s bedroom, so had it colour matched in b&q’s valspar range. Loads cheaper, wouldn’t know the difference, much better hack than “use the smallest tin you can”, as if we’re all massively overbuying paint.

• Haha

She can duck ALL the way to the far side of duck with the "whispers". Yes, well done, you didn't buy one item of fashionable tat. You've beaten capitalism! Now go and wipe down your £250 high chair and put the £50 babygro in the wash. Jesus wept.

• Haha
  • Heart
Here we go again with another ‘frugal’ shopping spree. It’s okay though because spending £100+ on 1 pair of trousers is worth while as they’re that price second hand anyway. I’m not by any means saying she isn’t worthy of nice clothing, just that again it’s huge price tags and big spends on a ‘frugal’ spending account. Many of her followers do not have the spare money she has, this is rubbing their noses in it and trying to dress it up as a ‘need’, not a ‘want’.

It must be lovely to be as broke as her and have the same level of spending she has in order to be ‘frugal’. Especially considering she works from home and nobody sees what she wears!

Reactions: 7
I think she definitely trying to broaden her remit into more of a mum/lifestyle influencer with an allegedly frugal slant. She's desperate to showcase how she's part of what she deems the middle class set with all the right clothing brands, children's toys and accessories, Lick paint samples etc etc all topped off by what she feels is the epitome of middle class success, the Centre Parcs break.

Reactions: 8
Yeah - it’d be far more revolutionary/liberating to acknowledge that for the majority of us, no one is looking at us “like that”? Like we’re not being papped leaving restaurants or presenting love island we’re just doing desk jobs and maybe some public facing stuff? It’s the sickness of Instagram that makes us feel like you’ve got to do xyz, if you go out into the real world you’ll see so many people are just normally living their lives in non aesthetic/hyper consumerist ways…

Reactions: 4
It’s the way she says she doesn’t own many clothes and then in response to recommended brands people have suggested she already seems to own a lot of those brands.

There’s nothing frugal about people who use the expression ‘capsule wardrobe’… most of us who try to be just rewear clothes til they look scruffy or don’t fit.

Reactions: 2
I can't stand this pretence that buying expensive clothes is some sort of virtuous investment. A £14 dress from asda can last years too (speaking from experience!)

Reactions: 10
I can't stand this pretence that buying expensive clothes is some sort of virtuous investment. A £14 dress from asda can last years too (speaking from experience!)
It’s nothing more than greed, and another way to display her wealth. Wealth that she still has not addressed, and is through dishonesty of AFF/AD links.

She really needs to change her name on instagram- there is nothing frugal about spending AT LEAST £500 (without the ‘sales’) on clothing. Nothing wrong with a couple of staples from supermarkets or everyday brands- not ‘investment’ pieces.

mypretendfrugalyear is more like it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
No doubt there will shortly be a passive aggressive post about budgeting for things that are important to you, the need to remember to prioritise yourself as a mum blah blah blah.

Has anyone else seen this content/theme doing the rounds recently? I have many layers of thoughts about it esp as it’s being driven by those guilty of perpetuating it, but also rate the honesty and idk, the interrogation of your values/reality (dunno how to phrase it). Which is what Clare should be doing rather than endlessly sharing reno content and delulu content over how she “needs” to look.

• Heart
Reactions: 7