Mumsnet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s currently a thread about more state school pupils getting into oxbridge and some posters are up in arms that they can’t buy their way in, the snobbery is off the scale.

Reactions: 7
There’s currently a thread about more state school pupils getting into oxbridge and some posters are up in arms that they can’t buy their way in, the snobbery is off the scale.

The only thing more glorious than seeing someone complain online about not being able to buy their way into Oxbridge is watching it in person.

Many years ago, think nineties, I attended one of the red brick universities who took on a lot of students who failed to get into Oxbridge. I vividly remember on the first day, it was Registration Day, a large group of extremely posh ex-private school kids (Bedales, some kids from a fancy school in Westminster I think, and a smattering of Harrow) standing around whining that it was a lottery to get into Oxbridge because of the “wrong sort” being allowed in.

Really stuck with me and made me snicker. One of the rudest ones to me, who tried to poor shame me on a few occasions, shut up and left me alone after I gave her the nickname of Snappy (which actually stuck), on account of her buck teeth and weak lower chin. I sadly haven’t matured a great deal since then when it comes to snobs and those of the aristocratic caste.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The only thing more glorious than seeing someone complain online about not being able to buy their way into Oxbridge is watching it in person.

Many years ago, think nineties, I attended one of the red brick universities who took on a lot of students who failed to get into Oxbridge. I vividly remember on the first day, it was Registration Day, a large group of extremely posh ex-private school kids (Bedales, some kids from a fancy school in Westminster I think, and a smattering of Harrow) standing around whining that it was a lottery to get into Oxbridge because of the “wrong sort” being allowed in.

Really stuck with me and made me snicker. One of the rudest ones to me, who tried to poor shame me on a few occasions, shut up and left me alone after I gave her the nickname of Snappy (which actually stuck), on account of her buck teeth and weak lower chin. I sadly haven’t matured a great deal since then when it comes to snobs and those of the aristocratic caste.
Met some of those types at uni myself. The entitlement is off the scale

a large group of extremely posh ex-private school kids (Bedales, some kids from a fancy school in Westminster I think, and a smattering of Harrow) standing around whining that it was a lottery to get into Oxbridge because of the “wrong sort” being allowed in.
The clever sort, did they mean?

One of the rudest ones to me, who tried to poor shame me on a few occasions, shut up and left me alone after I gave her the nickname of Snappy (which actually stuck), on account of her buck teeth and weak lower chin.
Her ancestor were inbred, possibly?

Reactions: 5
I once went to a party as a teenager and some of the guests were from a private school. They behaved appallingly - boys were going into the girls toilets, someone banged their head and made a real drama of it. They were so rude and bad-mannered too.

I remember telling my mum on the way home and she said just because you go to a private school doesn't mean you're above manners and she would have been so ashamed if I behaved like that.

So I can well believe how some of those who didn't get into Oxbridge would have been like.

I went to a red brick Uni and can confirm there were so many private school kids, all Oxbridge rejects who were obnoxious and try hard.
I was really out of my depth in terms of my back ground it was miserable. The first question they'd ask would be which school did you go to?....

Anyway post grad I went to Cambridge and it was so much better. As a post grad it was just normal ppl who had worked hard to get to Oxbridge but absolutely no one was snobby or gave a tit about your social status. Ironic really

Reactions: 14

Twats

• Heart
Reactions: 1
They’re bitching about it being cruel to let kids or dogs chase birds now. Batshit.
Again ? duck me ,this thread appears at least once every couple months which suggests to me they are new members. I do think it’s cruel but is this all they’ve got to worry about in their lives ?

Reactions: 2
I actually agree it is cruel to let kids chase birds.
So do I, I asked some thicko parents to stop letting their toddler chase a duck who was so exhausted it couldn’t get back over the wall to the river. They were feeding the ducks to encourage them and then letting their child chase them.

Horrible ,respect for birds/animals starts from the early years.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I once saw a woman pushing her toddler in a buggy towards the pigeons and despite people telling her not to - she continued to push her buggy in a circle chasing these poor pigeons. 😡

My brother had a go at a family once for encouraging their children to pick up a squirrel in a churchyard. Luckily the poor squirrel ran away from the family.

Just horrible and these kids will probably grow up to be cruel to animals too.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
My friend went up to a few crappy kids who had a bucket of carbs and poking them. She bollocked them with their parents standing by. That's why I love my friend.

The first time I met my husband's family I witnessed a bleeping hole hit his dog. The red mist descended and I lost my tit at him. My husbands parents are very mild mannered so they.probay thought I was crazy. However I think they admired my morals I like to think

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've just remembered a thread that was titled "sex in my garden" or something and allegedly there was this couple having sex in the hedge outside this woman's house! Anyone remember?

I've just remembered a thread that was titled "sex in my garden" or something and allegedly there was this couple having sex in the hedge outside this woman's house! Anyone remember?
Yes! I remember that. Was fairly recently wasn’t it?

I remember the thread as that has happened to me before! When I still lived at my parents there was one couple that would meet behind my house a few mornings every week to do the deed then go their separate ways! We contacted the police but they never did anything about it. All very weird!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes! I remember that. Was fairly recently wasn’t it?
June 2018 just looked. Sex in the hedge, not the garden...
I remember the thread as that has happened to me before! When I still lived at my parents there was one couple that would meet behind my house a few mornings every week to do the deed then go their separate ways! We contacted the police but they never did anything about it. All very weird!
How odd. Well weirdly this poster didn't seem to care but wanted to have a laugh at funny suggestions from others if they were in that situation...

So do I, I asked some thicko parents to stop letting their toddler chase a duck who was so exhausted it couldn’t get back over the wall to the river. They were feeding the ducks to encourage them and then letting their child chase them.

Horrible ,respect for birds/animals starts from the early years.
But if the duck had have attacked the child...can they do that?.....then the parents would be up in arms and demand it be destroyed when their little brat was being a bleep to it in the first place!

The feral kids round my way chase all the cats. One ran into a hedge whilst two urchins prodded sticks into the hedge. No wonder when you see a cat round here it goes star shaped and fucks off!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
The sneering and mocking of the Facebook crafts also annoys and upsets me. Ok, it may not be to your taste and some of it is a bit questionable but there's no need to put it on a thread to take the piss out of it.
I absolutely loathe those threads. There's nothing wrong with crafting, and yeah, maybe wine glasses covered in glitter are a bit tacky but leave people alone. There's usually a nice little community on Facebook craft threads and they'd be unhappy to see their work being mocked by a load of middle-aged, middle-class mummies.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.