Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

RosetheHat

Hey! I posted on Mumsnet (under various usernames) for years and years (and years) . Until they got hacked, everyone had to log back in & I couldn’t remember my password or the original email address I’d set up with. So I just gave up 🤷‍♀️ And was in “forum wilderness” , where I’ve remained for about 3 years - lurking😳
I lurked on Reddit (didn’t get it) , I lurked on the other Mum sites (my kids are older now so I’m over the breastfeeding chat 😆)
Then THEN a miraculous thing happened... Brummy mummy off Insta sent me over, after her tearful Stories about mean cows on here slagging her. That’s the VERY PLACE for me I said to myself & and here I am , with a log in and everything 😄 So happy!
Any other ex-mumsnetters here? It all got a bit doom & gloom on there didn’t it 😲

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 102

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
I left mumsnet as I simply didn't fit in there anymore, I wasn't disinfecting my child enough times a day and my child eats more than carrot sticks. I also got bored of using my imagination to fill in the endless gaps where posts had been deleted. Oh and I got told to fuck off for saying shabby chic was now a bit naff, and endured 3 pages of abuse because someone had a shabby chic dresser and liked it!
I once had the same thing when I’d just started posting on MN. I said that UGG boots weren’t fashionable anymore and they looked like shoes made from oven gloves. I enjoyed the wind up, tbh. There are some touchy people on there 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 61

NotSherlockHuns

I left mumsnet as I simply didn't fit in there anymore, I wasn't disinfecting my child enough times a day and my child eats more than carrot sticks. I also got bored of using my imagination to fill in the endless gaps where posts had been deleted. Oh and I got told to fuck off for saying shabby chic was now a bit naff, and endured 3 pages of abuse because someone had a shabby chic dresser and liked it!

• Haha
Reactions: 39

Keepitw0nky

Chatty Member
Yes 🤣 the one that gets me is if anyone posts a husband problem they just get told “sorry but he’s definitely having an affair, get rid”

• Haha
Reactions: 36

tattle admin

Tattle Staff
As someone with a bit of experience with running a site, Mumsnet comes across as money hungry and extremely poorly run.

It's essentially a glorified forum. They create a lot of other content and this allows them to charge huge premiums for their adverts. This is a big money spinner as then they charge a premium for all the user generated forum content. They are getting many multiples more than tattle for ads as we just use a standard network, 20 times more if not 30 more. They claim to make around £5 a month from each regular user, tattle makes no where near that! Forums generally don't make much as it's low quality traffic (😆 - from an advertisers view), Mumsnet has been smart in order to make huge profits from low quality traffic.

I can see how they spend 350k a month on staff wages. They try to do alot and very little of it makes commercial sense. Now they use emotive language ("keep the lights on") to get people to give them money for the forum which no doubt is still making alot of money to bail out the rest of their poorly run company. It's non sensical.

Advertising rates have fallen significantly - over half, they always do with every downturn and I've been running sites for over 20 years so you plan for these things to save for the lean times. Tattle is more or less covering it's costs at the moment with the big fall in advertising rates. It's expensive to host but it has a huge amount of capacity - it stayed online and fast with nearly 20k online users and usually the peak amount of users online is 4k. If this continues for a long time I would move to a cheaper server as this unused capacity is wasted money and at the very worst stop guests from browsing during the high peaks that come every couple of months. A two tiered system would never be used.

I'm not on Mumsnet and the site is hosted in the states as I'm a US citizen. But please do pm good people looking for a good site if they don't know about tattle ;)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 32

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
"Doctor here" "Teacher here" Naturally everyone was then expected to bow down to these almighty people.

I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong with being a teacher or doctor, but on MN they always felt the need to announce it. A lot.
And my favourite: "Man here"

OH THANK GOD, please regale and humble us with your intellect

• Haha
Reactions: 30

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Don't forget the "does this pregnancy test look positive to you?" threads!

If you can't figure out a pregnancy test youre too young to be having sex.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

Fin

Chatty Member
I mentioned the subscription service to my DH and he said 'isn't your DS on there, she has three DC and CF neighbours', so I told DH I'd phoned DS but her DH answered as she was out walking DD with DD1, DD2 and DS and DS would phone me back when she'd fed DD and put DC to bed.

I don't have a sister btw, just an example of everyday posts on mumsnet. Those acronyms drove me mad.

• Haha
Reactions: 27

Casperron

VIP Member
Is it me or is Mumsnet viscous? I’ve posted a few times on there, nothing unreasonable, and the commenters just attack! And they have the cheek to moan about Tattle being “bullying”

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Itsallaboutmememe

Chatty Member
I joined mn years ago
was very happy at the time with it-a few oddballs but some women can be bitchy so just ignored them-others where wonderful and supportive
then-I posted about how the hell i was meant to get out of dv
well!thatopened a few floodgates-I was 100% honest and was crying out for advice and help
i did get a few nice answers but 90% where bitchy kick-you-while your-down comments
i managed to get my head down at a friends house that night-woke up and checked my thread
it had not only been deleted and a ‘we’re taking a look behind the scenes’ message but I also found my account had been deleted and I was blocked for ‘trolling’
i didn’t even get an email to check I was ok
i was 100% genuine and if I’d been a weaker person that could have tipped me over the edge
i joined tattle a week later

so Justine-if your reading this-I would have been happy a year ago to pay
now however I wouldn’t use your site to wipe my arse on-I hope you fold and you sink with it

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 25

Yel

Chatty Member
Mumsnet are already pleading going broke and asking users for £4.99 a month or £49.99 a year.

It's just a fucking message board, hardly that expensive to run like a newspaper with quality journalism. They've been coining in an absolute fortune for years after years. Just Lidl alone they had a 6 figure deal with to sell user data to and use their message board for adverts. Even with the ad rate falls just the ad's alone on the site will be making them a fortune, but not as much of a vast fortune as before. They're fucking cheeky and greedy.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Apr-20 13:17:05
Hi folks,

First and most importantly, I hope you and yours are safe and well, and that you all stay that way.

After 20 years of unreasonableness, rofls, wtfs, advice and support, and the odd lawsuit, it's fair to say that we are as close as we’ve ever been to existential difficulty.

Like many ad-funded businesses, the COVID-19 crisis has seen us take a big hit to our revenues. The businesses who would normally pay to advertise with us are slashing their marketing budgets, but lots of our outgoings are fixed and we so need to find new ways to keep paying the bills.

We’re doing our darndest to find every single saving we can - lots of our staff have volunteered to reduce their hours, we’ve cancelled all non-essential services, I've taken a pay holiday and we will use every scheme and loan available to us from the government and the bank to help tide us over. But we still need to find alternative revenue streams to ensure we don’t run out of funds in a few months...

To put it frankly, it’s squeaky bum time.

I know this is a very tough time for many of you and some of you are only just keeping the lights on yourselves. We’re sending you our solidarity and we most certainly don’t want anyone to stump up anything they can’t afford, but if you can help, please do subscribe now to our Premium service.

We’ve banged this out as fast as possible in response to the current crisis and it’s definitely not the finished article, but it’s free of banner advertising, so if you’ve ever been vexed by those (or use an ad-blocker) this might be right up your alley. Banner ads also tend to make pages render more slowly and take up bandwidth, so if you’re surrounded by bored kids streaming with their mates, step this way.

We’ve opted for a price point that we hope is doable for most and which covers the potential lost ad revenue for the majority of users. We hope £4.99 per month or £49.99 for a year (less than a pound a week!) feels a reasonable exchange for the value Mumsnet brings you, but in any case you can unsubscribe any time.

Over the next little while we’ll look to add some extra features: things that people have requested regularly like editing, sorting posts by the OP, and reading offline.

Rest assured we remain committed to always providing a free version of the site, as we fundamentally believe that access to the advice and support Mumsnet offers should not depend on your ability to pay.

And if you can’t spare any cash right now… then of course we get it. It would still be very helpful if you removed any ad blockers or clicked on affiliate links around the site when you shop, joined our insight panel or even shared the best Mumsnet threads on your social channels whenever you can - it all helps.

If you have any questions at all feel free to post them here and I'll get back to you.

Hold tight everyone.

Love

Justine and the team at MNHQ

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
I’ve just come on to see if there was a thread about this. Who the fuck is going to pay to stay a member of MN?! I’ve managed to become a VIP member on here for nowt 🤣 AND I can edit my posts for the amazing price of £0.00 a month. I can also talk about MOD and FOD and Jack Monroe as much as I want without anyone deleting my posts or getting banned.
Mumsnet have four stock replies to every thread:

1) Leave the bastard aka LTB

2) That looks like sepsis

3) Log it with 101

and finally, the one that really makes me grind my teeth:

"All money is family money"
Can I also add ‘get your ducks in a row’ and ‘get yourself a shit hot lawyer’ to that list please? Also, I can only make a chicken last for just the one meal rather than 6 years, so I’ll leave the membership to anyone who’s still eating a chicken that they cooked on the eve of the millennium.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
When I gave birth back in Feb I joined Mumsnet as a place i thought I could get advice from other Mums

We were put in lockdown not long after I gave birth, my fella was working 12 hour days so if I had a problem I'd ask Mumsnet. I'm only 25, first baby, tired, just needing a bit of advice. I'd just ask about naps and his sleep etc really

Then one day I had a massive argument with my Mum over a footie shirt. Long story short- my Mum supports Liverpool, so do I, my fella supports Man United. Im not bothered about footie though and for my fellas first Fathers day I wanted to get him and the baby a matching top each. It werent really a present for the baby more for my fella. We had both even said to each other he can decide what team he likes when hes older, if he even likes football. So my Mum had a proper meltdown and told me she doesn't want to speak to me or the baby again if I got the shirt.

Anyway, I was upset after the argument and just wanted to vent. So I went on the "am I being unreasonable..." section.
Fuck me... I got some HORRIBLE answers. Telling me im council estate trash for wanting to get a football son for my child. Telling me I was after a story in the DM??? Telling me I shouldn't force a football team on my kid
Just basically ripping me a new arsehole for wanting to just do something nice for my fella 😂
And other people were just calling me a liar. Saying I had made the entire thing up!?

Ok...

Anyway it all ended up in me getting BANNED. I emailed them curious as to why, my response was that an Admin had read my thread and she thought it 'didn't sound true' ok then 😂

Foul place, glad I found Tattle

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

tattle admin

Tattle Staff
I could just launch mums.life in half an hour, it would be far far better than Mumsnet and just need people to move over. Not sure if it's worth saving though 🤷‍♀️

• Haha

KateESJ

VIP Member
All mums boards are awful.

been told multiple times that I caused my own sons leukemia by formula feeding and by not giving him a vegan diet (really.) 🙄

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry

bellinibobble

VIP Member
Classic, another poster slagging off Tattle, yet posting screenshots which shows they are logged in here and have 124 notifications 😂

• Haha

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Oh they're a complete nest of vipers. Man hating vipers actually and a lot of them seem to hate other women as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
They’d hate me. All my clothes come from Primark, New Look, Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys, with the odd bit of ASOS thrown in for good measure. If I really want to splash out then its River Island 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 22

AlanBanan

VIP Member
It’s a sanpro day, time for some salty nibbles and choc to ease those iffy cravings. DH brought DC to the park whilst I relax after doing nothing all day besides watch morning tv, internet shop and belittle and bully other mothers online. Might treat myself to a big bowl of hearty soup and crusty bread with lashings of good butter or will make Spag Bol for the kids. I hate my husband.

my life is so hard and challenging.

• Haha
Reactions: 21

TheDuchess

Chatty Member
I once had the same thing when I’d just started posting on MN. I said that UGG boots weren’t fashionable anymore and they looked like shoes made from oven gloves. I enjoyed the wind up, tbh. There are some touchy people on there 🤣
Shoes made from oven gloves 🤣🤣🤣

That’s made my morning!hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 21