Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Current thread about what people earn and how old they are. OP got berated for saying she earned 49k and that is showing off as it is above average. Though the vast amounts of replies are people saying they earn 70, 80, 90k. A fair few 100k. How can they say 49k is showing off when according to MN most people earn 70k+.
Also Xenia replied. Obviously.
Is Xenia a fantasist like Crumbs? I can never work her out

Reactions: 4

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
They all think their children are “extremely bright” yet they all needed 2 years of tutoring to get into grammar school. If you’re genuinely bright you don’t need any tutoring!
Oh and they’re also all tall and slim and sporty. No fat, short kids who sit on Minecraft all day, even though statistically that will be most kids….
All children are tutored for grammar school and it isn't because they aren't bright or clever. At least that's the case where I live.

I dont know exact numbers but if the pass mark is 200, anything over that is a pass and gets you into a grammar school. Our local grammar school only offers 60 places to the first 60 highest scorers over the pass mark so say someone gets 300 as the highest, the next 59 below that get a place. If more than one gets the same score they offer it to the closest to the school. The children are being tutored to get into the top 60 to get the highest they can and not tutored just to pass

Moniker

VIP Member
Load of mingers on a thread saying they only wash their hair every 7 to 10 days. Sure it might not get greasy, but it's still dirty and it must surely smell?

And of course someone has bragged about having 'swishy' hair. They're obsessed with swishy hair on there.
Plenty of pit hair to swish if their personal hygiene is that lacking. Does this somehow link in to the collective Mumsnet "Being obsessed with cleanliness is SO working class" thing?

Pinkii

VIP Member
Has anyone else seen the thread where the OP is claiming she has no money for food the rest of the month? Awful yes? Until you read it and you find that her DH earns 30k a year, she is a ‘SAHM’ and rather than starving to death they will have to ’survive on beans on toast and other things as cheap’ They will also have to give up all their treats and days out so they can afford Christmas.

So like everyone else then? And tell me, what is wrong with beans on toast?🤔 Its one of the healthiest meals you can eat cheaply ffs
not as bad as the one who was worried she was going to lose her house because they only earn ‘£64k’ after tax and left with ONLY £700
A month after bills 🙄

• Wow

Sglodion

Chatty Member
What's the no BO gene? I've never heard of that. Is it do with sweating?

You're right though, Mumsnet would be falling over themselves to tell you that you must pong like a rancid boiled egg mixed with rotting spinach. A lot of the posters there have no concept that we are all individuals.
It's a genetic mutation that's mostly found in East Asian people, it stops your sweat smelling bad (and also gives you dry earwax).

• Haha

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Most universities seem to have found a way around Erasmus. The one near me seems to have loads of EU students still, mostly from Spain for some reason. I assume they have a partnership with a Spanish Uni.

Et0n-Mess

Anyone reading the Tiger Parenting thread? Another pile on. Wtf is wrong with them? lol. It's the same every time, someone seeks guidance and then they berate them for needing it.
I’ve just gone for a look. A page in and I can’t read anymore. I hate it when a thread goes like that. It’s just attacks on all fronts - “grow up”, what’s the relevance of them being Chinese (seems fairly useful context to me actually!), and then questions implying things are made up. You just get the impression these posters are all feeling so big and so clever. It’s just mean.

Cinnabun

Chatty Member
They do. They’re always going on about how much they hate the UK and how they want to emigrate or they’re applying for Irish passports and the UK isn’t much better than <insert second or third world country>, which is usually when someone from one of those countries comes along to say the UK is better or who do they they think they are talking about said country in such a manner. The people of MN are filled with utter self loathing and are absolute crashing snobs. They all think they’re incredibly well travelled as well because they once went camping in France or on an all inclusive to Egypt.

I didn’t vote for Brexit but I do find it amusing how every so often a thread pops up about how they’re still bitter about having ‘opportunities taken away from them’ like the Erasmus scheme (I’d never heard of it til MN) or having to pay import fees on expensive Venetian glass vases or some such. Those every day worries of ordinary people.
Ugh it's depressing isn't it?

An awful lot of them seem to be ex pats too. I think that's about as likely as their huge salaries...

Melian

VIP Member
Can anyone explain this quote taken directly from a thread just now, which is something that is said quite often:

'Firstly, I've name changed for this, because I have mentioned it to several people in real life.'

Am I really dense or something? How does name changing prevent people from guessing it could be someone they know in real life? This particular thread is a very specific situation as well (random packages of paper towels arriving regularly that the OP didn't order, she looked up where it's from and it's a business that no longer exists). Surely if she's mentioned to several people that presumably go on Mumsnet too, then a name change makes absolutely no difference because these people will still read the thread and think 'hang on, isn't that so and so?'
I don't use my real name on Twitter and at least 2 friends have worked out who I am.

mdizzl3

Grammar schools are supposed to be for the academically very bright. If you need tutoring to pass the eleven plus you are not clever enough and will not be able to handle the pressure of a grammar school. The real reason they are so fixated on grammar schools is because they can’t afford to go private but don’t want their kids to mix with the riff raff at a bog standard comp.
I agree - the kids I know who got tutored heavily were in bottom sets and got mostly B’s anyway. Grammar school does push you upwards if you’re average and manage to get in, so I get why people tutor, but I think if you’re genuinely bright you shouldn’t need it (bar some practise to know the format).

ChastityDingle

VIP Member
Is the trampoline one gone now? I couldn’t find it. Pity, I could be done with a laugh.
No, it's still there, last post was at 14.40 so it's on p2 in AIBU for me, on iPad.

I want to know does she bounce up He...ll...ooo, bounce bounce...you wouldn't get very much said really 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Such nonsense 🤣

• Haha

Sw4

VIP Member
Oh my god I've caught a live one! The mad woman who is completely delusional strikes again! Is the Crumbs or something?

A quick Google lens search reveals that this mumsnetters photo of "her bedroom" is intact an advert for William Morris wallpaper. I'm so happy I've caught one in the wild.
Sorry to burst your bubble but that poster does follow up with another post saying... 'in my dreams'!

• Haha

ChickenLicking

VIP Member
Anyone seen the post from the poster who is worried her husband is getting fat and that she (OP) ‘only eats in the evenings if it’s a special occasion’? 🤣💀
I was reading that one last night. Bloody hell!

I’ve got TLC-UK coming next week over to film me for an episode of “My 16/18 Life”…
Then it should almost certainly feature me as I am that size. I did join an NCT class when DS was a bump and was briefly co-chair of the Borough's branch until I returned to work and couldn't make the meetings any more.