Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a child I fell into a pond and nearly crushed a duck as i fell on it, the reason I fell is because my dad took his eyes off me for a quick second and I was fascinated by the ducks, not because I’m autistic.

I still remember it, my dad had to pull me out by my hair, and me looking like the girl from “the ring” as I was soaked and covered in pond scum 😃
I once fell into a shallow well as a kid, about three or four years old. Nothing happened other than getting a good soaking, my parents got me out real quick. I only remembered when I watched The Ring because I'm bleeping scared of that girl to this day 😆

Reactions: 2
There was a really interesting thread about the 1976 heatwave a few days ago where people were sharing their memories about it. All good until someone waded in with facts about the 2022 climate vs the 1976 climate.

Reactions: 1
There was a really interesting thread about the 1976 heatwave a few days ago where people were sharing their memories about it. All good until someone waded in with facts about the 2022 climate vs the 1976 climate.
What would I need to search to find this thread? Sounds interesting

Threads are so annoying where the OP throws a fit if they ask for advice and don’t get the response they were after (lots of yes OP you are SO RIGHT) if any posts disagree they go off on one

also OPs that post a thread and if no one replies in 10 minutes they repost asking ‘anyone?!’

• Haha
Reactions: 3
TBF there are enough boomers everywhere on the internet, especially on the Daily Mail harping on about the Summer of 1976 and how it means climate change isn't happening and we're all a bunch of snowflakes. Anyway I'm pretty sure the 2003 heatwave was just as bad as 1976 and also a temperature record was broken that year unlike 1976

Reactions: 5
TBF there are enough boomers everywhere on the internet, especially on the Daily Mail harping on about the Summer of 1976 and how it means climate change isn't happening and we're all a bunch of snowflakes. Anyway I'm pretty sure the 2003 heatwave was just as bad as 1976 and also a temperature record was broken that year unlike 1976
I wasn't born in 1976 but I do remember the 2003 one being really bad. I remember going to visit my gran and it was normally a 2 hour car journey, it took ages because there were so many accidents on the roads and it seemed to go on for ages as far as I can remember. I remember being in touch with a former teacher of mine and she was on holiday in France at the time, she said it was so hot over there, she actually slept in her car.

2006 was quite hot too, if I remember rightly.

I do think the high temperatures we've had recently are sign of climate change.

Reactions: 2
Personally I like “harping on about” 1976 because I was there and it seared itself (ha!) into your memory in a very special way if you were a 70s kid. I didn’t realise we were “boomers” in direct competition with the heatwave of 2003. I thought I was just having a nice nostalgic chat!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
As much as I hate the usual miserable, sneering or boastful posts, I also hate the super positive, OTT replies as well.

For example, if someone posts about having an affair with a married man (were you the other woman, op? See the stepparent thread 😂) and they follow up saying they’ve ended it, there are always posters in the replies like ‘Well I think you’re AMAZING op!!’ or something equally gushy. Really? Are they really?

Reactions: 4
Been a ongoing should I leave my husband thread this afternoon/evening

the responses are beyond predictable, as usual husband is a total monster and OP should leave

usual responses of
- I’d be changing the locks
- does he have any MH problems?
- he’s not to be trusted

etc etc

Reactions: 5
Someone loaned her friend an item. 3 weeks later asks for it back but friend has sold it… first reply YABU 🤦🏻‍♀️ What planet is this poster on? I’d be furious.
I think that's a deliberately goady response from the poster. I don't know anyone who would think that's okay.

Reactions: 12
It’s things like that that make the site almost unusable these days. What’s the point in posting if most posters are either trolls or troll hunters. They need to implement an upvote or similar system imo, but they refuse to drag the forum format out of the early 2000s.

Reactions: 14
I was a child during the 1976 heatwave. Definitely NOT a boomer. The 1976 heatwave was memorable because it lasted for weeks. The 2003 heatwave was far shorter.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Lots of the responses are trolls these days though, male rights activist hate mumsnet and want it closed down so delivbarately post stuff that they can copy and paste to Twitter - and the school holidays seems to attract trolls like iron filings to a magnet.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.