Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Something that's dawned on me fairly recently is that so many of them seem to have a really entitled attitude on behalf of young people. Not sure how to word that so it makes sense, but for example there's a thread in trending by a hiring manager who's finding that all the graduate program candidates they're interviewing this year are crap, and gives examples of them being rude and unprofessional. Loads of comments saying they must have had it hard with the pandemic and blaming the OP because the job only pays £22k (in the north), as though that's a good reason for an interviewee to describe the job as 'practically slavery' IN THE INTERVIEW. Another where the OP's mum has taken OP's teenage daughter on holiday to Greece and they're both sniping about each other, partly because the teen is on her phone all the time and doesn't want to do any activities - granted her grandmother also sounds like hard work, but loads of posters are saying the grandmother is an awful person and practically accusing her of abuse. At that age, if someone had paid for me to go on holiday to Greece for a week and I was bored and just wanted to play on my phone the whole time my parents would have told me to suck it up and stop being a rude little tit (paraphrasing). And I'm 29, not an old woman!

I get the feeling the place is full of people who've never really moved past their own hangups from when they were younger, and instead of growing up and realising that not always getting your own way and sometimes feeling embarrassed/awkward/uncomfortable is just an inevitable part of everyone's teenage experience, they project massively and blame the situation on everyone but the child. If this is a common attitude then it's becoming very clear why some of the kids at school are such brats.
Completely agree! I couldn't believe how many of them thought the "practically slavery" comment was acceptable. 22k is a very standard graduate salary outside of London. Most of them go up after a year anyway.

Reactions: 7
For a bunch of stick up snobs who are up their own asses, their recipe suggestions always make me laugh. ‘Cook some pasta and grate cheese on top. My kids love it’ or ‘plain rice with a fried egg on top’ are two recipe suggestions I’ve just seen, wtf 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Something that's dawned on me fairly recently is that so many of them seem to have a really entitled attitude on behalf of young people. Not sure how to word that so it makes sense, but for example there's a thread in trending by a hiring manager who's finding that all the graduate program candidates they're interviewing this year are crap, and gives examples of them being rude and unprofessional. Loads of comments saying they must have had it hard with the pandemic and blaming the OP because the job only pays £22k (in the north), as though that's a good reason for an interviewee to describe the job as 'practically slavery' IN THE INTERVIEW. Another where the OP's mum has taken OP's teenage daughter on holiday to Greece and they're both sniping about each other, partly because the teen is on her phone all the time and doesn't want to do any activities - granted her grandmother also sounds like hard work, but loads of posters are saying the grandmother is an awful person and practically accusing her of abuse. At that age, if someone had paid for me to go on holiday to Greece for a week and I was bored and just wanted to play on my phone the whole time my parents would have told me to suck it up and stop being a rude little tit (paraphrasing). And I'm 29, not an old woman!

I get the feeling the place is full of people who've never really moved past their own hangups from when they were younger, and instead of growing up and realising that not always getting your own way and sometimes feeling embarrassed/awkward/uncomfortable is just an inevitable part of everyone's teenage experience, they project massively and blame the situation on everyone but the child. If this is a common attitude then it's becoming very clear why some of the kids at school are such brats.
There was a thread where someone was moaning about how the government expected under 25s to live on £60 a week. Her daughter was apparently so crippled by social anxiety that she couldn't see her GP but was able to go out once a month, which she needed money for.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Watched a few early episodes of 'Keeping up Appearances' last night, it's not actually surprising how much they remind me of Hyacinth! Except Hyacinth is adorable for her faults (I love Patricia Routledge). That desperation to erase your roots and obsess over some antiquated class system, it's manners and mores. I recall a pretty heated, long thread a few years back about how to bleeping hold cutlery.

I have this mental image of them all drooling over their ebay sourced copies of Debretts. I feel second hand embarrassment at this point. Surely it's a symptom of poor taste to obsess over social class (or worse, what's common, lol)? Someone once asked whether a Diptyque candle was common - I don't think they realise that this is a tired, dated old stereotype of working-class-ism in itself. If you care about being percieved as middle or upper middle class, you obviously aren't.

Giveaways of the terminally NON MC on Mumsnet:
. We live in a leafy area
. Russell Group clarification
. Declaring something as common (it's poor taste, darling, not common!)
. Did you mean to be so rude?
. All of the rich people we know (this is usually when battered Barbours, choc labs, dog hair and long haired progeny enter the chat)
. "Are Fairfax and Favour still trending?"
. Shops at Tesco with a Waitrose bag for life
. Angry as can't work from home due to associating this with being newly MC. How dare my boss????!!!!
. Fighting over correct pronunciation. Like anyone, from the Queen to Liam Gallagher, gives a shiny tit.
. Deliberately using exclamations such as "Golly!" "I am so cross!" or anything else lifted from Enid Blyton's back catalogue.

I never come across this in the real world. An intelligent debate about how the fixation on perceived social class smacks of desperation and insecurity would be a refreshing sight on MN.
Not been on there since the farah post. I feel purified and clean, lol.

A lot of it just strikes me as intentionally created daily mail fodder at this point.
Wasn't that rage against the universe post about a woman in Switzerland in a wheelchair, who had a husband in a menage a troi?
I love that programme, lots of was filmed in my home town too.

I shop at waitrose with a lidl bag from time to time 🤣 (nobody really cares, it's a bag!)

• Haha
There was a thread where someone was moaning about how the government expected under 25s to live on £60 a week. Her daughter was apparently so crippled by social anxiety that she couldn't see her GP but was able to go out once a month, which she needed money for.
I frequently see this on local Facebook groups. Parents posting asking about jobs for their kids. Sorry, but if I was recruiting no way would I entertain a parent asking on behalf of their nearly adult child. I would however consider a young person who showed initiative and contacted me themselves.

Another time a woman posted asking if someone could give her eighteen year old son a regular lift to and from work on the industrial estate. Numerous people replied stating which buses he could catch to get there, but this wasn’t acceptable because he’d have to get up very early and stand around at the bus stop in the freezing cold/rain etc. A taxi was also suggested, but that would be ‘too expensive’. She would ‘pay for petrol’ though obviously not the going rate if she wasn’t prepared to pay for a taxi 🙄

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
There are some people on there who really bring out the rage in me, especially on the Royal Family threads.

Reactions: 3
I frequently see this on local Facebook groups. Parents posting asking about jobs for their kids. Sorry, but if I was recruiting no way would I entertain a parent asking on behalf of their nearly adult child. I would however consider a young person who showed initiative and contacted me themselves.
When I was in university, I had a jobs on campus, either working in my institute's office as a "student help" or correcting homeworks, that sort of thing. I still vividly recall this mother calling me while I was working in the institute's office asking me whether we had a job for her son. I replied that there are jobs for students all over the campus and that they're usually very easy to get if the candidate actually applies to them. It got worse from there, she started describing her precious offspring's qualities as a well-behaved young man who is nice and reliable, essentially doing a marriage market pitch.
I'm not sure how I ended this very weird call but it disturbed me greatly that this mother not only thought that her son was the greatest thing to walk the earth, but also tried finding a stupid student job for them. She probably would have asked for parent/teacher conferences as well. I think about this mother quite often - my parents are great and stood up for me often, but they would never even have the idea to do something like that. They'd have gotten my lazy butt to apply myself though.
and that guy must have been around the same age as me (~23 back then), so not exactly a wee little lad. On top of that, with a finished education that somehow landed him in uni. I hope he was allowed to dress himself in the morning.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I used to work as a lecturer in the last few years before I left parents were becoming more intrusive wanting to know why the pfb didn’t get particularly good marks/ was in danger of failing or had failed. they thought child deserved a first and as they were paying they wanted to come
In and discuss it with me.

• Wow
I used to work as a lecturer in the last few years before I left parents were becoming more intrusive wanting to know why the pfb didn’t get particularly good marks/ was in danger of failing or had failed. they thought child deserved a first and as they were paying they wanted to come
In and discuss it with me.
That's the inherent problem with tuition fees. People think they're paying for a degree, and they're not. They're paying for the opportunity to achieve one.

Reactions: 19
It often fascinates me how most of them pretend to care about the housing crisis and the fate of young people struggling to buy a first home. At the very same time they plan to buy a new house in the Home Counties whilst renting their existing one out for exorbitant cost in London to a young person.
So basically, they blame the gov for the crisis, but are happy to add to the problem of soaring rents and buying up properties in areas where yonger people can't get on the ladder due to gentrification or tourism.

Lots of double standards.

Someone got a drubbing last night because they innocently questioned thoughts on suntans. According to the MN mafia, rich people are always pale and never tan (utter bullshit). One harpy even accused the OP of being obsessed with other people's tans because she had observed many people still had them despite the health warnings. Typical MN boredom bully.

There are suddenly tons of posts complaining about neighbours' swimming pools, seemingly overnight (look at us, we are really well off!). It must be the new upper working class signifier (who else can see Hyacinth stressing this to whoever she meets?). I want to head over there and inform them that none of the UMC people I know have garden pools. They're all in-house. This isn't California you know :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
There was a thread last night from someone asking about Shein clothes and asking the mob not to judge her as that’s all she can afford. About three posts in someone came along and pointed out how unethical it was and that if she’s on a budget then she should consider using Vinted of Depot if she’s on a budget instead. They really do have no clue about how financially privileged they are and how people on a tight budget get by. Yes you can buy second hand from Vinted but a lot of it is still expensive and you have pay for postage and packaging. Just duck the duck off you patronising bints.

Reactions: 18
There was a thread last night from someone asking about Shein clothes and asking the mob not to judge her as that’s all she can afford. About three posts in someone came along and pointed out how unethical it was and that if she’s on a budget then she should consider using Vinted of Depot if she’s on a budget instead. They really do have no clue about how financially privileged they are and how people on a tight budget get by. Yes you can buy second hand from Vinted but a lot of it is still expensive and you have pay for postage and packaging. Just duck the duck off you patronising bints.
Oh i think a lot of them want to seem like they are financially privileged (i really don't think many of them actually are) and are obsessed with 'greenwashing'. They want to create an image of themselves as pure, progressive and well off. It is like a competition for them, to search for the most obscure, ethical cotton company in the UK (usually Lucy&Yak or Toast, which is hilarious as many of these companies are decidedly unethical when the covers are ripped off). It's clever marketing.

Shein is, to the average mumnetter, a working class signifier, so they will denounce it as unethical whilst still purchasing Apple products, expensive cars (on hire) and are fine with flying to exotic locations for holidays (carbon footprint!). Most of the overpriced products they recommend are a desperate attempt to appear intelligent and wealthy.
They love to denounce anything the working class do, which is their greatest terror - admitting that they actually are working class themselves. It seems to slip their attention that many, many working class people are quite well off and possibly earning more than their MC counterparts nowadays. They are terrified of being perceived as living next door to the 'underclass'. But of course, it is still better to claim one is MC because it denotes good taste and education! They can't simply accept that unless we are independently wealthy and live off investments or inheritance full time, we are all bleeping proles in the UK!...........even if you send your bairns to private schools.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
It seems to slip their attention that many, many working class people are quite well off and possibly earning more than their MC counterparts nowadays. They are terrified of being perceived as living next door to the 'underclass'. But of course, it is still better to claim one is MC because it denotes good taste and education! They can't simply accept that unless we are independently wealthy and live off investments or inheritance full time, we are all bleeping proles in the UK!
Spot on. 'Working Class' covers significant ground in the UK these days (and in fact pretty much always has done).

• Heart
Reactions: 3
And you don't get to try and return if they don't fit. Complete bunch of bleeping arseholes.

Reactions: 5
Someone started yet another thread the other day about how they lived in the tropics and Brits are so pathetic about heat, and even though the thread was stupid it made me laugh how many of the replies were "but in the UK we have high humidity!" Yes, because tropical rainforests are famously arid...

• Haha
But like she never mentioned that he had an obsession with water, it was a really simple accident that could've happened any child, and her friend grabbed him almost immediately. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just seemed a needless point to make to me. Like the whole thread was 😅
As a child I fell into a pond and nearly crushed a duck as i fell on it, the reason I fell is because my dad took his eyes off me for a quick second and I was fascinated by the ducks, not because I’m autistic.

I still remember it, my dad had to pull me out by my hair, and me looking like the girl from “the ring” as I was soaked and covered in pond scum 😃

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.