Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Watched a few early episodes of 'Keeping up Appearances' last night, it's not actually surprising how much they remind me of Hyacinth! Except Hyacinth is adorable for her faults (I love Patricia Routledge). That desperation to erase your roots and obsess over some antiquated class system, it's manners and mores. I recall a pretty heated, long thread a few years back about how to bleeping hold cutlery.

I have this mental image of them all drooling over their ebay sourced copies of Debretts. I feel second hand embarrassment at this point. Surely it's a symptom of poor taste to obsess over social class (or worse, what's common, lol). Someone once asked whether a Diptyque candle was common - I don't think they realise that this is a tired, dated old stereotype of working-class-ism in itself. If you care about being percieved as middle or upper middle class, you obviously aren't.

I never come across this in the real world. An intelligent debate about how the fixation on perceived social class smacks of desperation and insecurity would be a refreshing sight on MN.
Not been on there since the farah post. I feel purified and clean, lol.

A lot of it just strikes me as intentionally created daily mail fodder at this point.
Wasn't that rage against the universe post about a woman in Switzerland in a wheelchair, who had a husband in a menage a troi?
I LOVE Keeping Up Appearances and Hyacinth. She’s an icon!
8619F89A-F792-4401-B04F-DF5810B05C80.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Her physical comedy is incredible as well.
Oh it's a very physical role. She manages to be everywhere all at once. And at the bottom of it all, Hyacinth is essentially kind-hearted, but goes about things in such an obsessive and dominating way that any kind intentions are swiftly forgotten.

Reactions: 6
Also, I don’t even really associate mumsnetters with Hyancinth.

I picture Lucy & Yak dungaree wearing, fake woke types who brag about never ironing anything (see a recent thread about kids clothing). Our Hyacinth would never 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Also, I don’t even really associate mumsnetters with Hyancinth.

I picture Lucy & Yak dungaree wearing, fake woke types who brag about never ironing anything (see a recent thread about kids clothing). Our Hyacinth would never 😂
Oh I agree. The comparison is often made on there with HB when they are discussing (perceptions of) class, but they are worlds apart. Hyacinth would have a conniption at the very idea of RICH-ARD! in unironed clothing.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
The reason Keeping up Appearances is so funny and timeless is because everyone knows someone like Hyacinth. It’s a fantastic piece of observational humour.

For example I call my Dad’s two sisters ‘The Hyacinths’ because they are both as stuck up as anything and look down on everyone, including the wider family. This is despite coming from a working class council house background.

Reactions: 8
They're now complaining there's hot weather in July 🙄. Lots of RED zone warnings and general hysteria not seen since the early days of covid. Chill out and have a Solero!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I remember in the early days of covid someone on there predicted that there would be ‘bodies piled high in the streets’.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I remember in the early days of covid someone on there predicted that there would be ‘bodies piled high in the streets’.
I had to avoid all covid threads. I saw an occasional one when they sneaked it into AIBU.
It was a crackers time on there - even more than usual.

They are so completely obsessed with class. Anyone who has any class - no matter what it's described as - doesn't give a flying duck. There's a kind of desperation behind it which I find really hard to understand.

They are so completely obsessed with class. Anyone who has any class - no matter what it's described as - doesn't give a flying duck. There's a kind of desperation behind it which I find really hard to understand.
According to some survey I'm middle class... but I'm from a working class background and proud!

I do take a fortnum bag into lidl with me but that's because it was about all I could afford in there, its huge and has a gold lobster on it so I loved it 🤣 I do feel right snooty using it mind but....its a good shopper bag! That's my story and I'm sticking to it 😎

• Haha
According to some survey I'm middle class... but I'm from a working class background and proud!
I think that pretty much describes me these days.

I do love the sound of that F&M lobster bag.

Edit: I've just looked it up - very stylish!

I tore the ligament in my ankle yesterday so I’ve been bored and this thread inspired me. I’ve wasted hours reading tit on there today. The Sex Talk is my favourite. I’m currently chuckling at “Sexy underwear for men” - in particular the linked image. 😂

I’m surprised no ones commented with the usual, “wear what makes you feel happy/sexy, do not dress for someone else”. 🙄

Edit: whatever floats your boat but if any of my ex sexual partners turned up in that, there’d have been absolutely nothing sexual happening.

• Haha
Wasn't that rage against the universe post about a woman in Switzerland in a wheelchair, who had a husband in a menage a troi?
That's the one. She isn't in wheelchair yet, it's on standby for her decline. Just complete and utter poorly written bollocks!

Reactions: 5
That's the one. She isn't in wheelchair yet, it's on standby for her decline. Just complete and utter poorly written bollocks!
I think her audience numbers / socks are depleted compared to the days when she was driving them around in an imaginary bus. 🚌

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.