Mumsnet #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MN is one of the most class obsessed corners of the Internet. I find it fascinating when people talk about their parents banning things like ITV (because it was a channel for the lower classes) and certain foods being “common” and therefore not allowed.

They have such a chip on their shoulder about tradespeople. Probably because they are the new middle classes and haven’t been anywhere near a six form college let alone Uni. I’ve never met a poor plumber or electrician because people will always need them! and a savvy one can have a really profitable and successful business. You also to be quite academically able to even get a place or a course or apprenticeship these days, it’s very competitive and most colleges require minimum grade GCSE’s. Remember that plumbers are working with gas and electricians with, well electric lol. Both things that can cause fires and explosions! They days when tradespeople were those who were too thick to do anything else are long gone. I don’t have kids but if I did I’d sooner they went into trade rather than go to a sodding Russell Group Uni and saddled with god knows how much debt.
Yoire spot on! So sniffy about blue collar jobs, and weirdly obsessed with Russell Group “red brick” universities. Are people really like this? My background wasn’t particularly aspirational and definitely not academic. I just got on with things and chose to apply to universities based on location. God, I was so naive I didn’t even know anything about ex-polytechnics and how they were supposedly an inferior choice if you were doing a traditional course (in my case English Lit).

I think the push to send everyone to university 20-25 years ago was a massive mistake. I hope the tide is turning and kids aren’t made to feel like they’ll regret not pursuing a degree course.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think the push to send everyone to university 20-25 years ago was a massive mistake. I hope the tide is turning and kids aren’t made to feel like they’ll regret not pursuing a degree course
Wholeheartedly agree, but I think more kids will regret going to university than not, for the massive debt they’ll end up with, if nothing else. My son wants to go to university, but his dad tried to get him to do an apprenticeship in his industry instead (it’s well paid and there’s a shortage so they can basically leave one job and walk straight into another). Son wasn’t having it though, so I guess we have to respect that. However, a lot of jobs want a degree as minimum these days, which is ridiculous and I honestly think the amount of people with a degree kind of devalues it a bit, as opposed to when I left school nearly 30 years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My SIL in 2020 text me to ask how we were surviving the pandemic financially. I pointed out that my husband was still working and I was working the the hubs that our council was running.
She told me she was upper class and struggling and how were the lower classes coping?

I couldn’t stop laughing. She didn’t find it funny. She’s as working class as me and her in-laws.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
My SIL in 2020 text me to ask how we were surviving the pandemic financially. I pointed out that my husband was still working and I was working the the hubs that our council was running.
She told me she was upper class and struggling and how were the lower classes coping?

I couldn’t stop laughing. She didn’t find it funny. She’s as working class as me and her in-laws.
What does she do for a living? You should point out that if she works she's hardly 'upper class'! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 9
What does she do for a living? You should point out that if she works she's hardly 'upper class'! :ROFLMAO:
Used to work in nursery but got herself a criminal conviction. She now just stays at home despite her children being adults. I think she told BIL to stay home as the government would pay. Then tit her pants when they were entitled to nothing.
She told me I was too old to work with children 😂😂 I’m not even mid 40’s.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Makes me irrationally mad when someone posts something e.g. ‘COVID is going away’ or something and someone goes ‘do you have the original source?’ Or ‘do you have the original study?’ Like duck off karen don’t act all high and mighty acting like you work for the WHO 🙄

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
If you go to the baby names forum of MN they are always obsessed with the class and baby names. It's such a joke.
They judge names to be 'lower class'/'down market' .....it's hiddeous.
Some of the names they deem 'chavy' and down market' I love ❤
They have such a chip on their shoulder.
They're desperately aspirational, not sure what they're aspiring to.
Also I notice several posts on the relationship board asking if they should bother dating a guy who hasn't been to uni 🙄....babes beggars can't be choosers.

My hideous colleagues is MN personified. She's a horrible snob, judgy and frumpy, could be 30 or 50. She only wears Boden and tries to be cool.
She's a snitch and completely stuck up.
She's also a bully so I don't feel bad for slagging her off.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
So sorry if already mentioned, was up to date on first thread but lost track. I was bored earlier so went to have a nose on mumsnet AIBU. Naively clicked on “They never slip and never rub” thread and it linked me straight to Amazon Clarks boots 🤔 Are they literally posting shady aff links now?! How low can they go?!

Reactions: 2
Makes me irrationally mad when someone posts something e.g. ‘COVID is going away’ or something and someone goes ‘do you have the original source?’ Or ‘do you have the original study?’ Like duck off karen don’t act all high and mighty acting like you work for the WHO 🙄
ha! I have done that once or twice here. Partly because the claim was just so wacky I wanted to see the source 😂 But it is obnoxious.

Reactions: 1
For a bunch of ‘middle class’ people (🙄) they really are thick as duck - there’s a thread at the moment where the OP states HPV was detected at her latest smear. One of the responses (among other tit ones) was ‘I would be asking your husband some serious questions’. What on Earth?! Maybe try educating yourself before trying to make the thread an affair hunter style one. Idiots.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
For a bunch of ‘middle class’ people (🙄) they really are thick as duck - there’s a thread at the moment where the OP states HPV was detected at her latest smear. One of the responses (among other tit ones) was ‘I would be asking your husband some serious questions’. What on Earth?! Maybe try educating yourself before trying to make the thread an affair hunter style one. Idiots.
They love affairs and the possibility of affairs/scandal. Why not just watch Corrie or EastEnders?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Every husband /partner is cheating or abusive.
One poster the other day said her partner was in a bad mood and what she should do.....it took about 3 posters down to scream that he was gaslighting her and abusing her.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Whenever I need a proper laugh I go on mumsnet. Hilarious especially the relationship threads 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
There is a post on the relationship thread about a boyfriend who was being a bit of a nob and slapped the OP bum when she was doing something in the kitchen. I say slapped but I don't think it was physical aggression or intended to be hurtful
They were both drunk and I'd say he was just being a bit of a chump.
The responses are mind boggling

The upshot was they were both drunk and then argued about it. As it was 11.30pm reading between the lines they were pissed and both arguing with little perspective.

Personally if this happened to me or a friend I'd chalk it up to being drunk and silly.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Wholeheartedly agree, but I think more kids will regret going to university than not, for the massive debt they’ll end up with, if nothing else. My son wants to go to university, but his dad tried to get him to do an apprenticeship in his industry instead (it’s well paid and there’s a shortage so they can basically leave one job and walk straight into another). Son wasn’t having it though, so I guess we have to respect that. However, a lot of jobs want a degree as minimum these days, which is ridiculous and I honestly think the amount of people with a degree kind of devalues it a bit, as opposed to when I left school nearly 30 years ago.
When I went to university, many years ago, I think only 1 in 12 school leavers went on to university? Typically, you were genuinely academic and would be going on to follow a professional career. Tuition fees were free because the government could afford to fund the much smaller handful of undergraduates.

Today, I think over 60% of school leavers go to university? Why? It's madness! The majority of these teenagers aren't actually academic and will just go on to end up in a non professional job after they graduate. But they will be £40,000 in debt for that pointless university experience.

My exDH works in the City and his financial firm only recruits graduates from a small pool of universities. My younger sister works in recruitment for many of the big London law firms and apparently they only recruit from certain universities. But this insider knowledge is unknown to most new graduates who assume their degree is as good as anyone else's.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Used to work in nursery but got herself a criminal conviction. She now just stays at home despite her children being adults. I think she told BIL to stay home as the government would pay. Then tit her pants when they were entitled to nothing.
She told me I was too old to work with children 😂😂 I’m not even mid 40’s.
I'm in my 40's and work with children, one of my work pals is 60 and still works too!

Admittedly I'll be done by the time I'm 55 because my knees are on their way out after 25 years of looking after children plus I do private nannying and bar work too.

You are definitely not too old!!

Reactions: 3
I can’t believe how many LFTs they are doing at the moment. Some of them proudly post photos of about three three they’ve done one after the other. Unless it’s void you don’t need to do that many and its seriously no wonder there is a National shortage of them, if it’s negative then chances are you don’t have Covid and doing one after the other won’t bloody change that. If you really feel unwell and want reassurance go and get a PCR and stop wasting the tests! Some of us need to do them in order to be able to go to work!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Today, I think over 60% of school leavers go to university? Why? It's madness! The majority of these teenagers aren't actually academic and will just go on to end up in a non professional job after they graduate. But they will be £40,000 in debt for that pointless university experience.
I honestly believe that university isn’t considered essential because it leads to a degree and job prospects anymore, but a rite of passage that involves three years is partying with a few lectures on the side. That’s what people don’t want to miss out on: the lifestyle, not the education.

Reactions: 9
Somebody wants to return their MOONCUP (that they’ve attempted to insert) to Boots?! These people are insane.

Thank goodness though the thread hasn’t gone in their favour, so that’s something!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Somebody wants to return their MOONCUP (that they’ve attempted to insert) to Boots?! These people are insane.

Thank goodness though the thread hasn’t gone in their favour, so that’s something!
I had to go & read it...wow!!!
Screenshot_20220101-163034_Talk.jpg
Screenshot_20220101-163530_Talk.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.