Mumsnet #26 Fanny wafts and meany pegs, what goes on in mumsnetters heads?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in a Children’s outpatients/ward and we have recently had a few baby Barbara’s, Maureen’s and a Joan…
Maureen is a terrible name. Sorry to any Maureens out there, but there is just nothing nice about it!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Maureen is a terrible name. Sorry to any Maureens out there, but there is just nothing nice about it!
How very dare you! My son, who is 6'7" and plays rugby for the county is called Maureen and so is my husband, Maureen senior, who has a very important 6 figure job!

• Haha
Reactions: 64
My Great Granny was called Beryl.
I wonder if the name Mavis will ever re-emerge? Or Pamela, Joanne, Diane, Heather, Lesley, Christine, Margaret, Judith and other 60's and 70's baby names?
My workmate is mum to Dawn, that's proper 70s. Dawn is 12.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
We’re definitely approaching a revival of 50s and 60s names. Granny chic will just keep evolving.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I genuinely believe that most of the people on there hate their kids and only had them because society makes them feel like they have to and not because they actually wanted to.

Reactions: 5
I have to confess to having a child with a 20s/30s granny name... like Ava / Lily / Iris etc.
I'm sure in the 80s those names sounded like a dire idea too. I do think the 60s and 70s names are just around the corner. Some are fine though! But yeah, I can't imagine personally having a baby Maureen.
I think Karen has been killed as a name possibility for sure though?!

Reactions: 4
We have a Maureen on our street WhatsApp. She has a cat which she refers to as ‘my little minkie’ and all anyone can think of is Mrs Slocombe.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I'm waiting for the return of Tracey and Stacey.

I know a lot of little girls whose names pretty much tick off every one of my Grandma's church friends from when I was little. I can imagine my grandma's horrified response if she was still alive, it was bad enough when her own name regained popularity in the 90s :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Someone I know has an Ernest Reginald and Herbert Cydney, both under the age of 10. When it was pointed out to them what the shortenings would be, they hadn't even considered Bert and Ernie (showing my age here)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
My son is a Bert. It's not his given name, but when he was a toddler he had a little checked coat and a flap cap that he had to wear everywhere, lord help you if this combination wasn't offered. He honestly looked like a little old man at the time so I'd call him Bert. It stuck. He's very grown up now, still called Bert.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
I genuinely believe that most of the people on there hate their kids and only had them because society makes them feel like they have to and not because they actually wanted to.
I’d take it one further and say accidental pregnancies.

Reactions: 1
Maureen is a very middle class name. You probably don’t like it because you live on a council estate and wear supermarket clothes. *head tilt*

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I have a 9 year old relative called Agnes. I'm glad that period of people battling each other to give their baby the most grannified granny name of all is gradually disappearing. Poor kid. 😫

There’s a thread in Work where the OP’s colleague has confessed they’ve only been working 2/3 of their contracted hours (and getting paid for the full amount) for years and the amount of posters telling her to keep her nose out of it because we’re in a cost of living crisis is staggering.
The replies these sorts of threads get gives me the impression that the majority of Mumsnetters are actively defrauding their employers. Even if a colleague’s actions severely impact the OP, they are told that it’s none of their business.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I did know one woman called Maureen whose husband made a very sweet nickname out of it - Mouse. There is logic to it as well - her friends called her Maws, but wrote it as Maus. Conveniently enough, she was also 4'11" on a good day, had light brown hair and freckles on her cheeks.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have a 9 year old relative called Agnes. I'm glad that period of people battling each other to give their baby the most grannified granny name of all is gradually disappearing. Poor kid. 😫
But that’s the thing, it won’t go away, it will evolve! Soon we will have loads of Susans, Irenes, Janets and Patricias.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.