Mumsnet #10 Freedom for DDog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's a thread at the moment about how much your partner would need to earn in order for you to be able to afford to stay at home. Predictably, within the first page of replies you've already got multiple people saying they'd need at least £150k/their partner already earns £150k and couldn't manage on less. Who are these people?! I've probably met about 3 people my whole life who earn that much.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I’ve already told my kids much the same thing 🤣 I don’t have grandkids yet and I’m not bothered if never get them tbh, but I won’t be doing set hours looking after them. Happy to have them on occasion but don’t rely on me for regular childcare. I’ve done my time when my kids were little, and probably a bit more as my daughter has a chronic illness which meant none of the grandparents wanted to get involved. Harsh I know, but I also assume I’m going to be working til I’m at least late 60’s too.The entitlement around grandparents doing free childcare really pisses me off on MN. It’s also really hard work trying to entertain little kids all day, especially when you get older, something which some parents probably don’t understand.
I dont have kids but I know in the case of one of my siblings and their in-laws, the in-laws were clear on that from the start. I think it's fair and square to set it out as they did and as you have done. They will help out if needed but made it clear that they wouldn't be doing regular minding.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There's a thread at the moment about how much your partner would need to earn in order for you to be able to afford to stay at home. Predictably, within the first page of replies you've already got multiple people saying they'd need at least £150k/their partner already earns £150k and couldn't manage on less. Who are these people?! I've probably met about 3 people my whole life who earn that much.
I enjoyed some of that thread and the cake at work thread today. Someone on the cake thread describes cake as “grim” 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
£150k a year? I spend that a day. My 563 month old daughter and I go up to London and splash the cash on mis matched designer outfits to pose for mumsnetters. If your husbands don’t earn that then please ltb he’s clearly having an affair.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I’ve already told my kids much the same thing 🤣 I don’t have grandkids yet and I’m not bothered if never get them tbh, but I won’t be doing set hours looking after them. Happy to have them on occasion but don’t rely on me for regular childcare. I’ve done my time when my kids were little, and probably a bit more as my daughter has a chronic illness which meant none of the grandparents wanted to get involved. Harsh I know, but I also assume I’m going to be working til I’m at least late 60’s too.The entitlement around grandparents doing free childcare really pisses me off on MN. It’s also really hard work trying to entertain little kids all day, especially when you get older, something which some parents probably don’t understand.
Considering they all think you’re old and infertile by 35, where are all these retired grandparents? Or have they invented the SAHG?

none of them earn enough to cover childcare anyway, because childcare doesn’t come out of their husband’ 6 figure salary, it’s only ever the woman’s cost to pay.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
They either have to be fully capable of cooking and serving a three course meal while they are newborn babies or out the door at 18. There's seldom a happy medium. 😁
I love love love the gifted and talented kids threads, where you get a first time mum absolutely convinced she has given birth to the next Mozart because her baby can bang out a tune on a kazoo. This is followed by dozens of posters pointing and laughing, and bragging about their own highly talented offspring who were fluent in Latin by the age of two.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
They're trying to keep their children as babies. The same babies they will boot out the front door the day they turn 18 so they can convert their bedroom into a gym or home office.
18? Don't you mean 216 months?

(Tilts head)

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I love love love the gifted and talented kids threads, where you get a first time mum absolutely convinced she has given birth to the next Mozart because her baby can bang out a tune on a kazoo. This is followed by dozens of posters pointing and laughing, and bragging about their own highly talented offspring who were fluent in Latin by the age of two.
I often refer to the poster who insisted her child had read The Railway Children before they started school. Incredible. Even if they could read well what on earth would a 4 year old understand of the storyline or setting!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I often refer to the poster who insisted her child had read The Railway Children before they started school. Incredible. Even if they could read well what on earth would a 4 year old understand of the storyline or setting!
tbf, I was reading before I got to school. And understood the stories. Loved those worlds and preferred it to real life. Encouraged by my parents as it meant they could sit me anywhere with a book and I’d be quiet and not move for hours.

unfortunately, if meant I was bored stiff when I did get to school, I checked out completely and carried on reading any and every novel I could find under the desk rather than paying attention.

left school with tit GCSE’s 😂

thought the railway children was a bit tit as well. Preferred horses.

Reactions: 15
A sex toy to them lot is probably secretly getting their child’s barbie and Ken dolls to rub against each other, they couldn’t possibly do it in real life don’t you know how many germs men carry!?

• Haha
“To the woman in the teal” coat is a worthwhile thread.

Some absolute classic MNing going on there.

Especially enjoying the idea the northern line might have a local FB group as one person has suggested.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Reminds me of the thread asking about why we Brits send our kids to school at four, which is considerably younger than most of the civilised world BTW. Lots of them said that their DCs were exceptionally bright and had completely outgrown nursery/playschool/pre school or wherever they were and ready to learn and were ready for school. It was ridiculous because there aren’t any bright kids in for example Portugal where they don’t start formal schooling until they are seven are there?🙄 These places usually have far better outcomes than our system as well. I work with kids and the ones who’s parents claim they are reincarnation of Albert Einstein are usually very average.

• Heart
They either have to be fully capable of cooking and serving a three course meal while they are newborn babies or out the door at 18. There's seldom a happy medium. 😁
There's seldom a happy medium with ANYTHING on Mumsnet 😆

I’ve seen it referred to ‘baby dancing’ on MN. 🤮🤮🤮

I really wish there was an eye roll emoji on here.
I was thinking that the other day. But I'd probably wear it out 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 5
“To the woman in the teal” coat is a worthwhile thread.

Some absolute classic MNing going on there.

Especially enjoying the idea the northern line might have a local FB group as one person has suggested.
It's been deleted. I just searched it as I need a laugh!

I had a run in with a horrible mumsnet type older couple at a petrol station earlier as I accidentally went in front of them at the screenwash dispenser and incurred their extreme wrath.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.