Mumsnet #10 Freedom for DDog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was a really chubby child, but like most when i hit puberty and started growing and thinned out like an elastic band. Obviously there are exceptions but in most cases it's just puppy fat
Yeah same, one poster is saying kids shouldn't have puppy fat past the age of three, she'd have had a fit seeing me, I lost so much weight as a teen my ten year old self could have eaten me.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I just saw the child BMI thread and it is very unpleasant. I hope they don’t pass their attitude to food on to their kids.

Reactions: 9
I'm opening myself up to a world of abuse here but I don't mind some of the toast stuff and I quite like the Amish style trend that has been around, long check skirts etc.
BIB - The thing I like most about Tattle tbh, is that posters can quite amicably have different opinions.
Unlike MN, imo, where the most innocuous thread or post leads to ridiculous pile-ons.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I just saw the child BMI thread and it is very unpleasant. I hope they don’t pass their attitude to food on to their kids.
The openness of nutritional ignorance as well - “it’s really carby OP” YES because about 50-60% of a child’s caloric intake should be from carbs! They are NOT Jennifer Anniston in the 90s and nor should they be encouraged to be.

As parents we have such an important role around not creating poor or complex relationships with food and that includes not demonising foods. Foods are food. Some have higher nutritional values or calorie density but carbohydrates are not the issue here.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Came here to post about the child BMI thread. It's truly disgusting how they are falling over themselves to point out how skinny their kids are in comparison to OP. Nasty pack of twats.

I say ignore the bleeping thing. I have two kids, one of whom is 13 and would fit in well on mumsnet build wise as his BMI is "underweight - seek medical attention". It's his natural frame and build though. He looks very normal and takes after his dad. Not me as I'm properly obese. Happy to be hunted off mumsnet after they approve of my skinny child when they find out he eats beige "carbs" and massive bags of sweets and fizzy drinks all the live long day.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
There used to be modest dressing threads years ago. Have these looks spawned from those?

I don’t think even the models make those frocks look good. They all look as if they’ve given up. Even the poses say that to me.
See, I agree with this. Even beautiful very young women don't make those dresses look good. What hope for a mumsnetter, ha!( disclaimer, am old and a bit fat so don't make ANYthing look good.) I think it's the ankle boots. Short boots with dresses speak Victorian poverty to me.

Reactions: 2
Mumsnetters in the Wild

This Mumsnetter must have taken a wrong turning and ended up on instagram by accident..

8197BFE8-63D7-4AAF-B61A-0F7EFCA28D55.jpeg

(Taken from the bbc feel-good story about a little boy joining Mensa who taught himself to read at 2…. )

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Urgh! It’s horrible. The absolute glee they’re taking in describing just how fat this child is compared to their children. And picking apart the diet. One of them reckons it’s absolutely loads of food, and another is saying milk is too many carbs!

The lot of them need to duck off.
It’s dangerous discussing food over there full stop. The no carb/keto lot jump on any post about food and how evil carbs are. The obsession with being able to see ribs and bones etc. I work with paediatric consultants and I’ve never heard them say that.

Children grow at different rates, sometimes they look a bit chubby but then have a growth spurt. Children can be overweight yes, parents should keep a close eye on what they eat and how often they move but shouldn’t be putting them on really restrictive diets or any diet unless advised-by a professional. Certainly not asking that lot that are obsessed with size and carbs/sugar.

Reactions: 8
Has anyone else noticed that whenever they go on holiday it’s always a ‘much needed break’. Not just a holiday or a break, their lives are so busy and hectic and stressful that its ‘much needed’. Like during Covid restrictions they were moaning how much they ‘needed a holiday’ because working from home or being furloughed was so very stressful obviously. Don’t they get that a holiday is a treat that a lot of people can’t afford at the moment? It just seems in such bad taste.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Lots of children are obese though and often the parents saying just opt out, ignore it its rubbish have their heads in the sand. That said whenever the threads pop up which is frequent on the subject it turns into the same competitive skinnyness and shaming which isn't helpful.

Reactions: 5
Has anyone else noticed that whenever they go on holiday it’s always a ‘much needed break’. Not just a holiday or a break, their lives are so busy and hectic and stressful that its ‘much needed’. Like during Covid restrictions they were moaning how much they ‘needed a holiday’ because working from home or being furloughed was so very stressful obviously. Don’t they get that a holiday is a treat that a lot of people can’t afford at the moment? It just seems in such bad taste.
It's all for the drama.

It can't be just any old holiday, it has to be MUCH NEEDED and then MIL turns up uninvited and boom, there's a thread that can go on for days. 🤣

• Haha
The WFH threads really grind my gears on there.

They literally jump on anyone who takes a piss during a work day if they are WFH as ‘they should be working, its GrOSS MisCoNdUcT’ 🙄 someone asked on a thread if its ok to work their own hours or something and some were like ‘but don’t you have meetings during that time’? I have meetings from 6am-11pm at night blan blah- Not everyone has bleeping meetings, its like they think it makes them seem very high up cause they have ‘meetings’

I don’t know anyone who wfh and is glued to their screens all day.

And no one calls out the bellends who pounce on people for taking a break yet they have time to be on MN during the day when they should ‘be in meetings’

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Lots of children are obese though and often the parents saying just opt out, ignore it its rubbish have their heads in the sand. That said whenever the threads pop up which is frequent on the subject it turns into the same competitive skinnyness and shaming which isn't helpful.
They are massively unhelpful - one person has chosen the Pears advert from the 1920s to demonstrate a healthy looking child…. I mean, not sure it would be my poster child for a picture of health.

You’re right that some parents choose to opt out and ignore though, my mum was one of these. Although I don’t think she was at all equipped to deal with my weight problem anyway, so no matter what she did I don’t think it would have been good.

Nutritional education has to improve because it’s so bad through generations And food manufacturers/marketers exploit that to their absolute level best.

Reactions: 6

They literally jump on anyone who takes a piss during a work day if they are WFH as ‘they should be working, its GrOSS MisCoNdUcT’ 🙄 someone asked on a thread if its ok to work their own hours or something and some were like ‘but don’t you have meetings during that time’? I have meetings from 6am-11pm at night blan blah- Not everyone has bleeping meetings, its like they think it makes them seem very high up cause they have ‘meetings’

And no one calls out the bellends who pounce on people for taking a break yet they have time to be on MN during the day when they should ‘be in meetings’
I don't understand though some of the questions posters raise on there. I imagine it's something you would raise with work, or with a colleague. That's not the worst one, I know.😁
But sometimes my eyes roll at threads where I think, use your own common sense FFS! Plus I am convinced there are saddos who await a thread that they can rush into to tear posters apart regardless of the topic.

Absolutely agree re breaks. I still cringe thinking about a meeting (I'm sorry 😁) I attended before wfh became usual for the company I was working in, pre lockdowns and so on. Someone out to impress the big boss confessed almost in a whisper how she felt so guilty because she once
put on a wash
when working from home.

The horror of it all.

I fainted and had to be revived. 😉 I mean did she never step away from her desk in the office to get a cuppa/ a glass of water/ go to the toilet, for example. Give me strength!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
They are massively unhelpful - one person has chosen the Pears advert from the 1920s to demonstrate a healthy looking child…. I mean, not sure it would be my poster child for a picture of health.

You’re right that some parents choose to opt out and ignore though, my mum was one of these. Although I don’t think she was at all equipped to deal with my weight problem anyway, so no matter what she did I don’t think it would have been good.

Nutritional education has to improve because it’s so bad through generations And food manufacturers/marketers exploit that to their absolute level best.
Absolutely. The real issue with the scheme is that there's no support for parents who want it in order to help their children, and it doesn't address the underlying issues for obesity so it's pointless really and just wrongly makes some parents feel bad. Weight is always a weird one on MN though, I feel for those who have no idea and post a question in good faith!

Reactions: 3

They're very funny about work situations. All very prim and proper. Very pro-employer. Everyone is 'taking the piss' and there is no acceptable level 'taking a few mins break'. They are all 9-5 corporate, senior job, full-time, work every second to their contract, never take a sick day, are 'at their desk by 8.55 to start work by 9'. So many threads about work problems turn into them becoming more and more 'perfect' as the thread goes on! I saw a post about a woman who was considering a sickie for something that could improve her life but didn't say what the reason was. Someone warned her that if her boss is MN they might make the connection. A poster came along and said 'if I was your colleague I'd go straight to my boss with this thread if a colleague was off!'. A lot to be said for minding your own business at work!

Reactions: 11
They're very funny about work situations. All very prim and proper. Very pro-employer. Everyone is 'taking the piss' and there is no acceptable level 'taking a few mins break'. They are all 9-5 corporate, senior job, full-time, work every second to their contract, never take a sick day, are 'at their desk by 8.55 to start work by 9'. So many threads about work problems turn into them becoming more and more 'perfect' as the thread goes on! I saw a post about a woman who was considering a sickie for something that could improve her life but didn't say what the reason was. Someone warned her that if her boss is MN they might make the connection. A poster came along and said 'if I was your colleague I'd go straight to my boss with this thread if a colleague was off!'. A lot to be said for minding your own business at work!
And another thing re work threads, it doesn't seem to occur to lots of them that saying did you mean to be so rude and tinkly laughing at colleagues isn't all that realistic 😂. (To say the least).

You're still going to have to work with whoever it is, so sending them long-winded emails about how they should behave, well no, that again, 😁 is not realistic!

And despite the horror on there about being OUTED some of them sure as hell post about very very specific situations 😉

Reactions: 7
I’m interested to know how so many of them have senior, high-earning roles or husbands who are super high earners. Isn’t the national average 30k? I really don’t know that many people who earn enough to be into the higher tax band, and that’s including professionals and people with degrees! How is it that almost the whole of mumsnet are?!

Reactions: 5
I’m interested to know how so many of them have senior, high-earning roles or husbands who are super high earners. Isn’t the national average 30k? I really don’t know that many people who earn enough to be into the higher tax band, and that’s including professionals and people with degrees! How is it that almost the whole of mumsnet are?!
None of them! To be a high earner like theh claim you wouldnt be working a standard 9-5 job. My friend who is an actual high earner (120k) works all Hours of the day and can barely reply to messages let alone be on a forum all day jumping on people for ‘gross misconduct’ .

They live a fantasy life style!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.