Mrs Meldrum #5 1 Hundred Thousand Sheep, 4 Thousand Tattle Posts, Meldrum Seems Quite Rattled And It’s Nout’ To Do With Ghosts.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's easy to see through, why would an influencer need any help. They supposed to influence and be creative. It's just a simple trick to create a hype. "I need rug advice"

Reactions: 1
Have been reading this and would like to share a few things to the conversation.

I'm not friends with her, but we have many shared friends/colleagues. She was pretty rude once when I was just trying to be friendly at an event, she probably did not know I had over 30 times the youtube subscribers than her at the time!

I'm a blogger and have been for almost a decade. I belong to many groups for creatives and unfortunately they are now overrun with "instagram mums". To start with it was creatives creating good content that was popular in Google and Pinterest. I make over 70% of my very good income (supporting my whole family on just my work) through adverts on my site. Lots of the instagram and youtube mummies have next to no talent or creative flair. They are just lucky enough to get brand deals and shove a phone camera in their family life. Without these brand deals they would make nothing. I'm reasonably successful on YouTube but I don't do vlogs, I do real content that needs work, time and effort to produce. Adsense doesn't pay much so you would need 50k views every single day just to make minimum wage. Most wouldn't even earn a tenth of the minimum wage without channel mum and the brands.

I have always been transparent with my ads, although sometimes I added it at the end of the description but have stopped doing this. Brand deals for me were only a small percentage of my income.

Lots are now very worried that their main source of income could be under threat since the increased scrutiny. They have no backup plan, all their eggs are in one basket and have not diversified their business to have multiple income streams. They have mortgages to pay and any reduction with the amount of ads will be a struggle to continue.

I'm not worried, as I have multiple income streams and my husband only gave up work once the mortgage was paid off so even if my income went down 90% overnight we would be just fine, but the same can't be said for many others.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your input and honesty is appreciated!

Reactions: 3
It’s all such bollocks.
She posts about the rug earlier on - no word on where it was from, just a post to pique interest
Then a second post comes - so that’s 2 IG stories about the rug today - this one with the info on where it’s from...
Blatant advert
“As so many of you have been asking about this rug...”

Rubbish

Initial post with no info then a secondary post with next tagged. Not exactly stealth is she...!
And using the wording "Picked up" rather than brought so that the viewer has no idea of ot has been brought with their own hard earned cash or picked it but gifted / baod with vouchers provided my next. As transparent as a brick wall.

Reactions: 5
Hello Minniemouse
. Initially Rebeccas blog was about life as a mum ( single mum when Lee was away ) and included chats about activities and days out in our local area . The vlogs discussed meal plans for toddlers and how to keep them busy on long journeys etc . The shopping at Primark was believable and relatable to skint mums . In a society where we generally dont necessarily have our families and support networks around , young people are increasingly looking at their peers online for this camaraderie . The implication was always that they paid their way and were just clever budgeters . The avalanche of gifts , ads and apparent entitlement came later .

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
It doesn't actually bother me that much if she gets freebies as perks of her job...all that has done has made me second guess anything I have ever liked of hers wondering if she really liked it or is just saying it's great because she was given it ...but it's just really the honesty thing...I don't want to watch someone who I feel are doing the least they need to do to declare stuff not the above and beyond as she says.
The live yesterday - I only realised the furniture was gifted as I read it on here ...because it was a live I watched the live link straight from Facebook so didn't see the vlog description box , so really the gifted items should have been mentioned in the vlog. Same way she picked words carefully about Disney and same way she has picked words carefully about the rug.
Also does Lee have to declare any gifts if they are gifted in Rebeccas account ? I guess it is possible that someone may follow him and not also her so how would people on his account know if things were gifted? I guess they haven't been gifted to him so he hasn't done anything wrong but if he is ' influencing ' by posting these things then the rules should apply.
I think probably influencers would like the rules to be clearer also so that they knew exactly where they stood and didn't have to put up with constant doubts about everything they do.

Reactions: 3
It doesn't actually bother me that much if she gets freebies as perks of her job...all that has done has made me second guess anything I have ever liked of hers wondering if she really liked it or is just saying it's great because she was given it ...but it's just really the honesty thing...I don't want to watch someone who I feel are doing the least they need to do to declare stuff not the above and beyond as she says.
The live yesterday - I only realised the furniture was gifted as I read it on here ...because it was a live I watched the live link straight from Facebook so didn't see the vlog description box , so really the gifted items should have been mentioned in the vlog. Same way she picked words carefully about Disney and same way she has picked words carefully about the rug.
Also does Lee have to declare any gifts if they are gifted in Rebeccas account ? I guess it is possible that someone may follow him and not also her so how would people on his account know if things were gifted? I guess they haven't been gifted to him so he hasn't done anything wrong but if he is ' influencing ' by posting these things then the rules should apply.
I think probably influencers would like the rules to be clearer also so that they knew exactly where they stood and didn't have to put up with constant doubts about everything they do.
These are not “freebies” that’s the whole point!
A company doesn’t give its products/services away for free. They provide them with the intent that the Meldrums will show the product or whatever and give it coverage on social media which makes it advertising!

The rules ARE clear!

This isn’t about not understanding rules or being confused- it’s deliberate non disclosure of money/gifted items/services.

Reactions: 7
Nope, because the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) expect gifted items to be disclosed as there is a commercial relationship in place. Therefore non disclosure is in breach of consumer protection legislation.

Here is the guide, which is written in plain English so very easy to follow >

https://www.asa.org.uk/uploads/assets/uploaded/3af39c72-76e1-4a59-b2b47e81a034cd1d.pdf

Thanks for the link.
So from what I’ve read in that, the gifted furniture counts as sponsorship but isn’t an AD.

Reactions: 1
I find this all so sad. Especially at this time of year where so many families including mine are trying to do more for those with less. We are in no way well off, but we will be using our last £15 this month doing a food shop for the local food bank because it is important to make our children aware that there are so many people who have so much less than us. I just find it sad that this family have so much but never give back, like you've all said they didn't leave that shed to a family who have just brought a part owned house so they clearly are starting out on the housing market and all they could think about was making £350. So sad and greedy.

Reactions: 17
So from what I’ve read in that, the gifted furniture counts as sponsorship but isn’t an AD.
It depends on whether the furniture company asked her to post at a specific time, or include specific product in the shot, or approved the post before it went up, or any factor that indicates they had an element of control over what she posted - if they did, it's an AD. If they sent her the furniture with no obligation at all to post about it in any form, it wouldn't be an AD, but would be sponsored content. But it isn't a candle or a cushion sent to a PO Box - it's big pieces of furniture that have arrived in time for a house move! To suggest there is no control by the brand in this sort of situation kind of blows my mind.

Reactions: 8
I'm not going to lie, I'm actually dumbfounded about this "kindly gifted" furniture. Like others, I don't really give a tit whether they get free furniture or not but coming off the back of the Disney Land / Tesco fiasco a couple of weeks ago and the non apology and the crappy week that was ruined by trolls on a witch hunt out to get her, I just can't wrap my head around her still not being open and transparent about the relationship she has with these brands that send them stuff. It's clearly not out of the goodness of their own hearts that they send it, there's clearly an expectation of a tag or a mention or a post or inclusion on a vlog. The first mention I see of a discount code or an affiliate link or something that implies there's a behind the scenes relationship between them (did they just have to take what they were given, did they get to choose it??) ASA here we come.

If there was genuinely no obligation to post, after the Disney fiasco, wouldn't you just keep quiet about it. Thank the furniture company privately and maybe think, I need to take a break from posting about free stuff we've been sent. Becasue if genuinely was "kindly gifted" then she can just take it never ever mention it. She's either utterly shameless in her greed to obtain as much free stuff for the new house or really not the sharpest tool in the box (although the two are not mutually exclusive!)

Reactions: 11
Have been reading this and would like to share a few things to the conversation.

I'm not friends with her, but we have many shared friends/colleagues. She was pretty rude once when I was just trying to be friendly at an event, she probably did not know I had over 30 times the youtube subscribers than her at the time!

I'm a blogger and have been for almost a decade. I belong to many groups for creatives and unfortunately they are now overrun with "instagram mums". To start with it was creatives creating good content that was popular in Google and Pinterest. I make over 70% of my very good income (supporting my whole family on just my work) through adverts on my site. Lots of the instagram and youtube mummies have next to no talent or creative flair. They are just lucky enough to get brand deals and shove a phone camera in their family life. Without these brand deals they would make nothing. I'm reasonably successful on YouTube but I don't do vlogs, I do real content that needs work, time and effort to produce. Adsense doesn't pay much so you would need 50k views every single day just to make minimum wage. Most wouldn't even earn a tenth of the minimum wage without channel mum and the brands.

I have always been transparent with my ads, although sometimes I added it at the end of the description but have stopped doing this. Brand deals for me were only a small percentage of my income.

Lots are now very worried that their main source of income could be under threat since the increased scrutiny. They have no backup plan, all their eggs are in one basket and have not diversified their business to have multiple income streams. They have mortgages to pay and any reduction with the amount of ads will be a struggle to continue.

I'm not worried, as I have multiple income streams and my husband only gave up work once the mortgage was paid off so even if my income went down 90% overnight we would be just fine, but the same can't be said for many others.

This is everything I think we’ve been trying to say since DLP! We were all once fans of these women we enjoyed the content we enjoyed there pretty pictures and perfect families. However the facade soon begins to fade! And I’m sorry but asking a grown woman a mother a simple question Does not equate to bullying like we have been accused of doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I find this all so sad. Especially at this time of year where so many families including mine are trying to do more for those with less. We are in no way well off, but we will be using our last £15 this month doing a food shop for the local food bank because it is important to make our children aware that there are so many people who have so much less than us. I just find it sad that this family have so much but never give back, like you've all said they didn't leave that shed to a family who have just brought a part owned house so they clearly are starting out on the housing market and all they could think about was making £350. So sad and greedy.
It would be nice to see them publicly support a local food bank or soup kitchen! Here’s content idea get the girls to donate some if there old toys to make way for new ones! Now they’ll argue we do our charity bit in private ?funny how that’s the only side of your life you keep private.

It would be nice to see them publicly support a local food bank or soup kitchen! Here’s content idea get the girls to donate some if there old toys to make way for new ones! Now they’ll argue we do our charity bit in private ?funny how that’s the only side of your life you keep private.
Because it doesn’t exist, that’s why is private/non existent!

Reactions: 2
I wonder if any of these mums stop and think just for one minute about the impact on our planet their constant consumerism has or the affect on their children’s health all the new stuff they constantly bring into the house has? All the rugs/sofas/toys etc, all gave glues/materials giving off fumes.
THIS!! Funny how they’ve all just missed the anti-fast fashion movement !

Reactions: 4
Mrs Meldrum has said she has had lots of questions about the rug...Lee 'picked ' it up from Next today....that's still not really clear whether that's picked up as in he bought it ...or picked up as in they ordered it using vouchers or whatever way they ordered the clothes etc that they did the last lot of next clothes ads for and he just 'picked ' it up from store ?
And WTF Meldrum? Are lee and Reb supposed to be bigging up the £20 year round home delivery from Next? Why is he picking up from the store? Jeez got on brand message why don’t you! ;)

Reactions: 12
THIS!! Funny how they’ve all just missed the anti-fast fashion movement !

Yeeeeessss! All this consumerism cheap and cheerful tat! That serves no real purpose and will probably end up in a landfill site. Is not only terriable for the environment. Also promotes a culture of greed! But to be honest it’s boring the constant repeat of the same content over and over again you seen one pound land haul you seen them all!

And WTF Meldrum? Are lee and Reb supposed to be bigging up the £20 year round home delivery from Next? Why is he picking up from the store? Jeez got on brand message why don’t you! ;)
That's hilarious actually. Paid to promote a delivery service and you're going to pick stuff up in store.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.