Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
God reading all these stories is actually making me angry 😂 I’m kind out of my situation now but if you are currently in it, keep up your boundaries. Do not let them take what is yours, be that personal space, picking your baby up without asking, inviting themselves over without being asked (or just turning up) or just basically trying to make everything about them…stay strong! Don’t live with regret and bitterness like I do. Just don’t let them do it and they won’t like you for it but I’d rather that than my own mental health suffer. Take those overbearing witches down 😂

So my friend had been having these issues with her MIL (I need to get her on this thread) and MIL kept turning up at her house and she ended up just locking the door (if MIL has a key, keep your key in the door so they can’t unlock themselves), keeping the blinds closed and not answering the door. so she couldn’t just walk in or see that she was in. Even if the MIL said you were in as your car was on the drive, my friend would say oh we were sleeping etc. She always batted her off with an excuse. The MIL eventually got the hint

• Heart
Reactions: 9
God these stories are horrific. I’ll be on the lookout for warning signs when I see MIL next 😂!

I like to think that I’d nip these things in the bud at first sign of craziness but I know it’s difficult when it’s family. They cross the line then we feel bad about reminding them where the line is 🤯

Reactions: 6
I think the problem with MILs really kicks in is if your partner doesn't really see your side of things or support you. Then you feel really alone.

Reactions: 20
I think the problem with MILs really kicks in is if your partner doesn't really see your side of things or support you. Then you feel really alone.
Yes I agree with you there. Things only improved for me once my husband opened his eyes.

Until that happens it's very frustrating.

Reactions: 4
I’m glad my mil lives far away from us tbh, we haven’t had kids yet but I can already tell I don’t want her much around my future child because like I’ve mentioned before she has quite racist views and I’d hate for my child to grow up surrounded by that tbh

Also I’m quite lucky that my partner doesn’t really want to mix with her much, after a while he noticed she’d only really message him when she needs to borrow cash(she doesn’t have a job and pretty much relies on benefits to get by but I think she smokes weed so obviously needs to fund it somehow? Ugh makes me sick! The audacity) but tbh in future judging from these experiences you’ve all shared if I have to say something I won’t hesitate, I’d rather say it and have her hate me than put up with tit behaviour to be “polite”

My partners gran is another loony! She randomly texts me complaining about her (my partners) family and witches about them. I felt bad but after a while I had to stop replying to her. I think she got the message as she now randomly texts me here and there letting me know what’s she’s doing or what’s she’s planning on buying

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Never had a MIL prob but SIL telling me what to do wih baby. Wish i'd said s simple 'let's not get into it, as you have your way snd i have mine'. There were quite a few rows with my husband when i let off steam and he told me she didn't mean anything. But she was saying things to wind me up and knew it - suggested i was breastfeeding to save money, let me know how easily she got pregnant when i was in ivf land, lots of petty stuff from brands of nappy to age to wean at. Seems so silly to outsiders but when you're doing your best and some gobshite is in your space, it can really affect you.
There was tension, a row and we are just civil now. Wish i'd avoided all that by saying 'good for you, but i'll manage my own way thanks.'
Sounds so easy!!

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Sorry haven’t updated in ages! Sadly she’s not gone yet. Dunno what the delay is at this point tbh. Mr Peaches has however spoken to the social worker and the care is being transferred to hers … from the 19th. Feel like it could have been sooner and it’s him who picked the date. Only one week to go. Everybody keep everything crossed for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Hate to say it @peaches but it will AWAYS be one more week before you have your home back and can sleep in your own bed.🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Hate to say it @peaches but it will AWAYS be one more week before you have your home back and can sleep in your own bed.🙁
i mean I understand where you’re coming from. I’ll let you know by next Sunday. If it’s not happening I have plans as can’t go on

• Heart
  • Sad
Its just one-delay-after-another Peaches; :(

When the 19th deadline has come and gone you really do have to stamp for feet down HARD and crush their toes then put it out there that Enough is Enough finally otherwise you are never going to be rid of her until the day she dies; Frankly ill health or not she could be around for years expecting servitude from you and this situation might be alright and dandy for her little sunbeam but its certainly NOT right for you or your child :( Slavery has been abolished! I am bloody furious on your behalf!! :(

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
My mother in law is so secretive! We’ve just found out that she’s bought a business. Apparently the whole process has taken a year and my husband is the last to know. I’d be really annoyed if it was my mum.

It’s not the first time either, she’s having a face lift at the end of the month and we only recently found out about that.

Maybe she’s had a lottery win that she doesn’t want us to know about? 😂😂

• Haha
My mother in law is so secretive! We’ve just found out that she’s bought a business. Apparently the whole process has taken a year and my husband is the last to know. I’d be really annoyed if it was my mum.

It’s not the first time either, she’s having a face lift at the end of the month and we only recently found out about that.

Maybe she’s had a lottery win that she doesn’t want us to know about? 😂😂

My MIL is like this with her own family and children too… it’s the strangest thing! And then when she tells them she says don’t be telling anyone etc etc and makes you feel like a blab?? I wouldn’t mind but the stuff isn’t even that interesting I always feel like saying back I don’t think anyone would even give a duck 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
My MIL is like this with her own family and children too… it’s the strangest thing! And then when she tells them she says don’t be telling anyone etc etc and makes you feel like a blab?? I wouldn’t mind but the stuff isn’t even that interesting I always feel like saying back I don’t think anyone would even give a duck 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣
I’m glad it’s not just my mil. I can kind of understand the facelift because plastic surgery is a bit taboo but you’d think she’d be excited to tell us about her new business venture.

We’re hoping to move next year so when the time comes we might keep it quiet and see if she notices the for sale sign 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I’m glad it’s not just my mil. I can kind of understand the facelift because plastic surgery is a bit taboo but you’d think she’d be excited to tell us about her new business venture.

We’re hoping to move next year so when the time comes we might keep it quiet and see if she notices the for sale sign 😂
We only found out how old my MIL was when she died and we could see her passport! She was coy about her age even to get children!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
My MIL is one of my favourite people. I really hit the jackpot with my husband's family.

I did have a colleague with THE most evil, psychotic MIL though. My colleague struggled to conceive for years and her MIL was very vocal about it and would openly suggest that her son get a divorce and marry someone who could have kids. 😡 My colleague eventually fell pregnant and thought the days of her MIL's criticism were over, but things just got so much worse. The crazy MIL took it upon herself to move in when the baby was born to micromanage my colleague with her baby. One of the more bizarre things she did was to grab my colleague's breast to demonstrate how she was feeding incorrectly. 😳

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
We only found out how old my MIL was when she died and we could see her passport! She was coy about her age even to get children!
My mother is like that with her age. Makes a big massive deal out of it.
We don't speak now but I have no problem telling anyone that she's 75.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.