Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve lurked on this thread for a while and have finally snapped today. I’m on annual leave this week so took this one opportunity today to have some sunbathing in our back garden. While I’m chilling and listening to a podcast in the sun my fella unexpectedly presents his mother to the garden for a cuppa and a chat because she was bored. I absolutely detest unexpected guests and would never do this myself, I just find this down right rude! There I am with an extremely revealing outfit I would never wear in public as I thought I’d be safe in the solitude of my own home but oh no, now I’m uncomfortably rearranging my tits so as not to offend. She goes on to comment on the mess our garden is and actually starts pulling out some weeds while I’m sat there holding on to everything for dear life like a head.

Please can someone reassure me I’m not overreacting here and this is not normal behaviour? He’s always been the worst mummy’s boy and even invited his Nana for a tour of our new house when he knew I was on the toilet for a number two at the same time! I can only imagine the slagging off I’m getting for being a lazy mucky cow etc.
You’re not overreacting! Turning up unannounced is the height of rudeness, sorry! Also I always let my partner know if family are popping over as I know how it feels.

my MIL has started a new thing. She knows if she asked to come over I would likely say no or make an excuse. She also knows that turning up unannounced won’t go down very well. So she has started to ring and say ‘I’m just near your house and I’ve bought you X (something random like a scone) or I’ve Cooked too much X for dinner so I’m bringing you the extra. They live 20 mins from us so quite unlikely they are nearby

on the face of it this seems very kind and I’m not saying it’s the worst thing in the world but she’s actually using it as an excuse to come in the house and fuss over the baby (who she sees regularly anyway). She doesn’t just hand stuff over at the door she will come in and she will also bring FIL. Like a planned trip!

she pulled this stunt yesterday and I was hoovering the living room when they all bundled in the house. I kept hoovering 🤣🤣🤣

Funnily enough when I was recovering from an emergency c section we didn’t get any offers of meals etc it just seems to be now!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My mother in law is actually a very nice lady who I do generally get on with well usually. She does however have an attitude towards my children that severely impacted my ability to have such a good relationship with her that leaves me saddened, angry and perplexed.

We don't live in the same country as her, as my husband moved to the UK from his home country, so all his family live there.

When I was pregnant with my first, my MIL was super excited, very emotional, delighted, which was great. First grandchild, so very happy.

At the time I was pregnant, my husband's brother was dating a girl with a 2 year old child, my MIL was keen not to have a close relationship there as she wasn't overly keen on the girlfriend and hoped her son would move on. She picked a random name for the 2 year old to call her that was NOT grandparent related but a name that was used by a lot of kids she worked with so it was neutral. She was keeping them at arms length thinking they would split up.

Fast forward to when my baby was 6 months old, my brother in law marries girlfriend and becomes a stepdad and therefore my MIL a stepgrandma. And that's where things changed.

Suddenly she had little interest in my child, and spoken constantly of her new grandchild. If mine was saying their first words, she would reply and tell me what her other grand child was doing, i.e. mine is saying their first words, her other is eating a sandwich or watching TV. MIL flew over to visit when mine was 9 months old. She said she thought she might have been doing the wrong thing as her other grandchild would miss her and was concerned she would treat her differently when she went back home. She told me that her other grandchild is the one she worries about, not mine. She would tell me that she was always taking the other child out and buying them stuff.
Over time she became very uninterested in mine, even if they were taking their first steps - the reply would be a smiley face or a 'wow!'. Never asked for photos, to call, to video chat. We flew over for 3 months when my first was 15 months old. MIL was unhappy baby didn't 'show a sign of recognition' after having visited 6 months previously. MIL spent virtually no time with baby during our 3 month visit, only in passing. Only one period for 3 hours - and even then she wouldn't stay home and play, but took baby out for a drive in dangerous ice and snowy weather! Spends every weekend with otjer grandchild. One other occasion she arranged to go out with me and baby, but didn't show up because she went to see her other grandchild instead.

By the time I am expecting my second I don't expect much, and it remains fairly the same. MIL comes to visit spends a lot of time on her phone chatting to family at home. She tells me she will never have the relationship with my children that my mother has. Strikes me as a very deliberate conclusion to come to.

Both my parents then promptly die leaving my children effectively with no grandparents.

MIL still does not attempt to develop more of a relationship with mine. Never comes back to visit again.

Despite the ease of contact from abroad, rarely facetimes or calls. Says she forgets we are on a different time zone. If we call her she is usually busy.

Doesn't like my children calling her a 'grandma' related name and wants them to call her the same name her other grandchild does, despite it supposedly being neutral and used by a ton of random kids in the area who she worked with. She does send gifts sometimes but never asks what they like or what they already have and says 'I don't know them well enough to know what they would like' all the while making little effort to get to know them. When we do facetime she speaks for a very short period of time and then has to leave mid-convesation or check on her other grandchild or especially now she has two NEW grandchildren who are toddlers, mine rarely get a look in. Just last week she announced my eldest is probably too old to want to give her a hug if they see her again, prompting my child to get very upset.

I find the whole situation sad as mine miss out on a relationship with her but she seems to choose against them, I believe because she goes so overboard to show her stepgrandchild that they won't be treated differently she has rejected mine.

Sometimes my husband says he'd like to move back to his home country as the children aren't getting to know his parents, but I think if we did that, my MIL would still reject them in person and that would lead to a world of hurt for them as well as my husband.

She's a nice lady though, kind and friendly and caring in all other instances, except this one.

Long story, sorry guys!

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Any update Peaches, Are you rid of the She Devil yet???
I should be rid of her on Monday. Ideally on Sunday night. I’ve asked my fella if everything is in place for it to all happen. He’s said it is although he has said that before and I’ve been let down, but I have zero patience for it anymore so it’s either she goes alone. He goes with her, or I go. If he doesn’t take her this weekend then he never will.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Mentioning meals as above. My last MIL was so bloody mean she squeaked when she walked, things like only buying one newspaper a week on a sunday so she got the free TV guide, but her absolute Classic Stingy Act beats everything else I've seen.
,She was not looking after herself because she couldn't be bothered with it (ok if someone else was running about after her of course), so I persuaded her to try Meals on Wheels thinking it would solve the problem, but nope - she ordered a load and then when she realised they'd have to be PAID FOR she sent the bloke packing! I then discovered that she was going to her friends and neighbours asking them to save their leftovers for her, like that bit of pie that was left from supper, the couple of sausages on a plate in the fridge, yes she was happily taking it all greedily because she couldn't be bothered to cook for herself and best iof all it was FREE. In the end I was cooking an extra portion of our family meals during the week then delivering her a weeks' worth for the freezer but between her social worker and us we finally got her to attend the Day Centre regularly where they ensured she had eaten rather than stick it in her handbag for another time; Now please don't think this was an impoverished old pensioner because she was quite well-off, she just resented having to spend Her Money on things like food, clothing, heating or anything else - money sitting in her account was all that mattered to her. Quite sad really :(

I should be rid of her on Monday. Ideally on Sunday night. I’ve asked my fella if everything is in place for it to all happen. He’s said it is although he has said that before and I’ve been let down, but I have zero patience for it anymore so it’s either she goes alone. He goes with her, or I go. If he doesn’t take her this weekend then he never will.
Stick to your guns Peaches - enough is enough!!!

• Wow
  • Heart
My mother in law is actually a very nice lady who I do generally get on with well usually. She does however have an attitude towards my children that severely impacted my ability to have such a good relationship with her that leaves me saddened, angry and perplexed.

We don't live in the same country as her, as my husband moved to the UK from his home country, so all his family live there.

When I was pregnant with my first, my MIL was super excited, very emotional, delighted, which was great. First grandchild, so very happy.

At the time I was pregnant, my husband's brother was dating a girl with a 2 year old child, my MIL was keen not to have a close relationship there as she wasn't overly keen on the girlfriend and hoped her son would move on. She picked a random name for the 2 year old to call her that was NOT grandparent related but a name that was used by a lot of kids she worked with so it was neutral. She was keeping them at arms length thinking they would split up.

Fast forward to when my baby was 6 months old, my brother in law marries girlfriend and becomes a stepdad and therefore my MIL a stepgrandma. And that's where things changed.

Suddenly she had little interest in my child, and spoken constantly of her new grandchild. If mine was saying their first words, she would reply and tell me what her other grand child was doing, i.e. mine is saying their first words, her other is eating a sandwich or watching TV. MIL flew over to visit when mine was 9 months old. She said she thought she might have been doing the wrong thing as her other grandchild would miss her and was concerned she would treat her differently when she went back home. She told me that her other grandchild is the one she worries about, not mine. She would tell me that she was always taking the other child out and buying them stuff.
Over time she became very uninterested in mine, even if they were taking their first steps - the reply would be a smiley face or a 'wow!'. Never asked for photos, to call, to video chat. We flew over for 3 months when my first was 15 months old. MIL was unhappy baby didn't 'show a sign of recognition' after having visited 6 months previously. MIL spent virtually no time with baby during our 3 month visit, only in passing. Only one period for 3 hours - and even then she wouldn't stay home and play, but took baby out for a drive in dangerous ice and snowy weather! Spends every weekend with otjer grandchild. One other occasion she arranged to go out with me and baby, but didn't show up because she went to see her other grandchild instead.

By the time I am expecting my second I don't expect much, and it remains fairly the same. MIL comes to visit spends a lot of time on her phone chatting to family at home. She tells me she will never have the relationship with my children that my mother has. Strikes me as a very deliberate conclusion to come to.

Both my parents then promptly die leaving my children effectively with no grandparents.

MIL still does not attempt to develop more of a relationship with mine. Never comes back to visit again.

Despite the ease of contact from abroad, rarely facetimes or calls. Says she forgets we are on a different time zone. If we call her she is usually busy.

Doesn't like my children calling her a 'grandma' related name and wants them to call her the same name her other grandchild does, despite it supposedly being neutral and used by a ton of random kids in the area who she worked with. She does send gifts sometimes but never asks what they like or what they already have and says 'I don't know them well enough to know what they would like' all the while making little effort to get to know them. When we do facetime she speaks for a very short period of time and then has to leave mid-convesation or check on her other grandchild or especially now she has two NEW grandchildren who are toddlers, mine rarely get a look in. Just last week she announced my eldest is probably too old to want to give her a hug if they see her again, prompting my child to get very upset.

I find the whole situation sad as mine miss out on a relationship with her but she seems to choose against them, I believe because she goes so overboard to show her stepgrandchild that they won't be treated differently she has rejected mine.

Sometimes my husband says he'd like to move back to his home country as the children aren't getting to know his parents, but I think if we did that, my MIL would still reject them in person and that would lead to a world of hurt for them as well as my husband.

She's a nice lady though, kind and friendly and caring in all other instances, except this one.

Long story, sorry guys!
I could have written this entire post myself! It leaves an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth when there is extreme favouritism towards just one of the grandchildren. My MIL has 5 soon to be 6 and she has never ever shown as much interest in our kids or her other older grandchildren as she does in baby number 5. I wouldn’t even mind as she’s interfering as duck but when it’s in front of my kids it makes me puke. You’d think honestly the child was the second coming of Christ the way she harps on about her. It’s a shame because it actually just makes me feel not interested in anything my niece does and I want to be ? But when she is so cold towards my own children it absolutely riles me no end. We just went away with my in laws and it was a wonderful week despite the fact she called my SIL 3 times a day while on days out (!) and was so loud when she fussed over my niece in public (so embarrassing) - if she wasn’t on the phone to her she was talking about her. I wish I was exaggerating but by the end of it I’d had absolutely enough and just didn’t respond when she mentioned her which makes me feel awful as she’s literally 2! I totally get it and send you love. I will never let my kids think they are second best to their grandparents, they’re supposed to love you most in the world alongside you.

Reactions: 4
I’ve lurked on this thread for a while and have finally snapped today. I’m on annual leave this week so took this one opportunity today to have some sunbathing in our back garden. While I’m chilling and listening to a podcast in the sun my fella unexpectedly presents his mother to the garden for a cuppa and a chat because she was bored. I absolutely detest unexpected guests and would never do this myself, I just find this down right rude! There I am with an extremely revealing outfit I would never wear in public as I thought I’d be safe in the solitude of my own home but oh no, now I’m uncomfortably rearranging my tits so as not to offend. She goes on to comment on the mess our garden is and actually starts pulling out some weeds while I’m sat there holding on to everything for dear life like a head.

Please can someone reassure me I’m not overreacting here and this is not normal behaviour? He’s always been the worst mummy’s boy and even invited his Nana for a tour of our new house when he knew I was on the toilet for a number two at the same time! I can only imagine the slagging off I’m getting for being a lazy mucky cow etc.
This would give me the rage. I need notice on guests. It’s very often I’m just in a bikini in the garden or I have no bra on in the house. As for your garden being a ‘mess’ I’d tell her to crack on if she wants to sort it 😬

I would prepare him for packing a bag & leaving with her on Sunday if things are held up again, sell the idea as it being good for her having him there to help her settle back in & when things are sorted he can gradually start to take a step back.
I’d get up on Sunday morning & hand him an empty suitcase & start putting a few of your sleep things back in your bedroom.

• Heart
I would prepare him for packing a bag & leaving with her on Sunday if things are held up again, sell the idea as it being good for her having him there to help her settle back in & when things are sorted he can gradually start to take a step back.
I’d get up on Sunday morning & hand him an empty suitcase & start putting a few of your sleep things back in your bedroom.
and chucking that mattress OUT!!!

• Haha
So a little update on my mil bitching about me to my partner. I’ve not long woken up to a message from his brother telling me to “sort things out with mil because she’s distraught” that I haven’t spoken to her since she left and I’m really affecting her mental health”
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Funny that because she never messages me and I never message her… even before this incident… the only time we usually speak is when she comes to visit. So not sure how I’m the one in the wrong 🙄 she’s getting right on my tits.

• Angry
  • Wow
So a little update on my mil bitching about me to my partner. I’ve not long woken up to a message from his brother telling me to “sort things out with mil because she’s distraught” that I haven’t spoken to her since she left and I’m really affecting her mental health”
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Funny that because she never messages me and I never message her… even before this incident… the only time we usually speak is when she comes to visit. So not sure how I’m the one in the wrong 🙄 she’s getting right on my tits.
I hope your partner contacts his brother and asks him where the hell he gets off sending you messages like that. Sending you strength 💪 ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I hope your partner contacts his brother and asks him where the hell he gets off sending you messages like that. Sending you strength 💪 ❤
Oh he has! The thing is though it’s only what she’s been saying to his brother. He isn’t aware of what’s happened but he’s just filled him in on the real story! She likes to make up scenarios for attention when everyone else is busy. It happens a lot unfortunately.. usually not involving me or my partner though, hes good at ignoring it too when she tries to start usually . 🤣

My MIL is over now. Send help 😩
🙏🏻

Mine text my husband asking if she could "pop over". He told her our son is self isolating for 10 days. Its only a little white lie, he has been isolating, but it finished 3 days ago 😆. So we are guaranteed 10 MIL free days 😉.

She never usually texts but since we fell out a while ago she obviously doesn't want to risk it being just me here 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
🙏🏻

Mine text my husband asking if she could "pop over". He told her our son is self isolating for 10 days. Its only a little white lie, he has been isolating, but it finished 3 days ago 😆. So we are guaranteed 10 MIL free days 😉.

She never usually texts but since we fell out a while ago she obviously doesn't want to risk it being just me here 😅
I am so jealous!!! enjoy it while it lasts.

Mine has finally left after a round of goodbye kisses. Then a round of goodbye hugs. Then she goes to the loo. Then another round of kisses. Another round of hugs. Puts her shoes on. Then another round of kisses (no wonder covid was spread so easily!). Then reverses off the drive and sits infront of the house waving widely like a lunatic. I ended up just shutting the door. Such a bleeping ordeal.

Today she was banging on about how she wanted to do a party at her house for my son but couldn’t because of an event which would have traffic near her house. Think she was trying to get an invite over to my house for me to do a party. No chance love, you’d set up camp for the day and I wouldn’t be able to get rid of you and your horrible husband.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Mine is a nice lady but was a tit mum to my partner (chose men over looking after her kids) and is a crap grandparent but only to my child.
She lives a 10 minute drive away and has seen my 2 year old only a handful of times but looks after her other grandchildren every week. She made crappy comments on my son's birthday about how he doesn't know her as nanny and blamed it on my family?!! She never phones/texts to see how he's doing and now he's unwell and needs surgery and I can't be fucked to tell her (petty I know). What annoys me most is she shares photos of him on Facebook with soppy captions like she's taken them all when really she's just stolen them from me 😂 have to fight the urge to comment.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Mine is a nice lady but was a tit mum to my partner (chose men over looking after her kids) and is a crap grandparent but only to my child.
She lives a 10 minute drive away and has seen my 2 year old only a handful of times but looks after her other grandchildren every week. She made crappy comments on my son's birthday about how he doesn't know her as nanny and blamed it on my family?!! She never phones/texts to see how he's doing and now he's unwell and needs surgery and I can't be fucked to tell her (petty I know). What annoys me most is she shares photos of him on Facebook with soppy captions like she's taken them all when really she's just stolen them from me 😂 have to fight the urge to comment.
I refuse to tell anyone anything about my children unless I see them or they make regular effort! My sons been in a wheelchair since March and half the family don't know! I operate on a need to know basis lol

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I refuse to tell anyone anything about my children unless I see them or they make regular effort! My sons been in a wheelchair since March and half the family don't know! I operate on a need to know basis lol
I was worried it would be hurtful for her if she found out later but then figured it's hurtful to me that she doesn't bother so all's fair 🤣I'm not having her use my sons surgery as a way to get attention on Facebook.
Hope your son is doing ok!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.