Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oooh I didn't know there was a thread for this, so please excuse my essay in advance 😂

This is all my ex mother in law, thankfully I've re-married and my current mother in law is lovely!

She hated me for taking her son away from her, and also because I wasn't Catholic

- when my ex and I moved in together, she turned up, treated my mum like the hired help (because my mum actually got stuck in and helped us clean and unpack), deigned to put my exes clothes in the wrong wardrobe, and disappeared again

- when we got married, she wore sunglasses and a sour face through all of the wedding photos

- she approached our vicar after the ceremony and loudly stated 'well that wasn't too bad for a Church of England ceremony'

- we used to be offered a 'slot' to visit on Christmas day (because we weren't invited to go to the Harvester for Xmas Dinner with them) and if we said that doesn't work for us can we come at a different time, she would force her husband to ring my ex and he would basically beg him to do what she said while you could hear her wailing and bawling in the background

- we said one year they could come to us if they wanted to see us over Christmas, she took over the telly and wouldn't let anyone speak or make a noise while watching her shows.

- we were looking for a new flat and found the perfect one, she threw her toys out of the pram because the flat was in the next road over to where her mother briefly lived, who had since passed away (nb she didn't pass in this particular area or I would have understood more)

- used to frequently cry at family dinners that she had no family left to love her and take care of her (her parents had sadly passed but she had a husband and two adult children who were close to her)

- my Xmas present one year was some weird gingham floral coasters that were all ripped and frayed, and a plastic fake gem photo frame that had half the gems missing

- used to complain if someone seated 30 seconds after us in a restaurant received their food before us

- had a special notebook in her car to leave snooty and slightly abusive messages on people's cars if she deemed that they'd parked badly or similar

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
First time I went and met my mother in law she had my partner and his exes wedding invite on the mantelpiece - obviously planted there on purpose as they had been due to get married 18 months beforehand. Five years on, she’s still a moron...

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Oooh I didn't know there was a thread for this, so please excuse my essay in advance 😂

This is all my ex mother in law, thankfully I've re-married and my current mother in law is lovely!

She hated me for taking her son away from her, and also because I wasn't Catholic

- when my ex and I moved in together, she turned up, treated my mum like the hired help (because my mum actually got stuck in and helped us clean and unpack), deigned to put my exes clothes in the wrong wardrobe, and disappeared again

- when we got married, she wore sunglasses and a sour face through all of the wedding photos

- she approached our vicar after the ceremony and loudly stated 'well that wasn't too bad for a Church of England ceremony'

- we used to be offered a 'slot' to visit on Christmas day (because we weren't invited to go to the Harvester for Xmas Dinner with them) and if we said that doesn't work for us can we come at a different time, she would force her husband to ring my ex and he would basically beg him to do what she said while you could hear her wailing and bawling in the background

- we said one year they could come to us if they wanted to see us over Christmas, she took over the telly and wouldn't let anyone speak or make a noise while watching her shows.

- we were looking for a new flat and found the perfect one, she threw her toys out of the pram because the flat was in the next road over to where her mother briefly lived, who had since passed away (nb she didn't pass in this particular area or I would have understood more)

- used to frequently cry at family dinners that she had no family left to love her and take care of her (her parents had sadly passed but she had a husband and two adult children who were close to her)

- my Xmas present one year was some weird gingham floral coasters that were all ripped and frayed, and a plastic fake gem photo frame that had half the gems missing

- used to complain if someone seated 30 seconds after us in a restaurant received their food before us

- had a special notebook in her car to leave snooty and slightly abusive messages on people's cars if she deemed that they'd parked badly or similar
Sorry but the last point cracked me up 🤣

First time I went and met my mother in law she had my partner and his exes wedding invite on the mantelpiece - obviously planted there on purpose as they had been due to get married 18 months beforehand. Five years on, she’s still a moron...
Did you comment on how cheap they looked? I would have done 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I totally should have done - I obviously just gave him tit for it after we left and will always hold it against her now... 😬
My sister in law did something similar. My husband had been married before but there was 2 years between him splitting with his his ex and meeting me. When we got engaged after a year I said to his sister 'ah you'll be my sister in law, ive always wanted a sister and she said 'ive already got a sister in law' meaning his ex. She had never kept in contact with his ex though so it was just a pointless bitchy comment.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
In German we have this "Du" and "Sie" thing where you say "Sie" in formal situations when meeting strangers for the first time. So I am supposed to say "Sie" when meeting my in-laws the very first time and waiting for the senior to offer me "Du" and telling me the first name.
So my fil opened the door and helped me out of the coat, we talked and he asked if it's OK to say "Du" and his name is Hans. Of course I was.

So we enter the kitchen and he tells his wife that we are already per "Du".
And that this was a really quick one, with his other daughter in law it took 2 years till they were per "Du".
So I turn to my (future) MIL expecting her to say her first name and offer me the "Du".
But she said instead :" You know, some people are not so fast with "Du". She herself for example knows her best friend for over 35 years and is still per "Sie" with her. "
And that's it, she didn't say her first name and I thought: ok, if she is still not per Du with her friend, who am I to offer it to her?
So I was Sie-ing her for another 8 years till we got married, but Du-ing my Fil ! 😂😂😂 very awkward, but not so awkward like when she finally offered it to me and I realised I'd rather keep the "Sie" 😜😜😜

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
my MIL is here staying with us for a couple of days and I’ve been trying my best to tolerate her but I’m currently sat in bed because I couldn’t bare to be in her company much longer, I’ve just heard her telling her 24 year old son who has lived either alone or with me for 4 years that “he needs to drink more” im not being funny but does she think he’s 5? she Shouted up asking if I wanted a drink? I’m in my own house and they’re drinks I’ve bought with my own money she’s offering me, I’m a grown woman.

I could probably read this back in a few hours and realise how pathetic this sounds but I honestly dont think anyone understands how much she gets under my skin.
it annoys me because sometimes I feel bad and think is it just me? But then she makes rude or patronising comments, or she tells me the fridge needs cleaned out or how i should look after my puppy...

my puppy was chewing his toy beside us on the setttee and I was watching her put her fingers near his face and wiggling them so then when he would obviously nibble her she would tell him off and say “the little bugger” I was so close to saying well leave him to chew his toy why you touching him when he’s being quiet? She also keeps picking him up to “calm him down” which is actually making him go More Crazy, plus he will be learning that when he’s picked up it’s because he’s been “bad” when I dont want him like that 😩😩😩😩😩
p.s she made scrambled eggs for her son this morning and used 6 eggs

She’s just cooked her son tea and told him to let it cool down if he wants ... he is 24 years old and cooks his own tea on a regular basis

• Haha
Reactions: 12
my MIL is here staying with us for a couple of days and I’ve been trying my best to tolerate her but I’m currently sat in bed because I couldn’t bare to be in her company much longer, I’ve just heard her telling her 24 year old son who has lived either alone or with me for 4 years that “he needs to drink more” im not being funny but does she think he’s 5? she Shouted up asking if I wanted a drink? I’m in my own house and they’re drinks I’ve bought with my own money she’s offering me, I’m a grown woman.

I could probably read this back in a few hours and realise how pathetic this sounds but I honestly dont think anyone understands how much she gets under my skin.
it annoys me because sometimes I feel bad and think is it just me? But then she makes rude or patronising comments, or she tells me the fridge needs cleaned out or how i should look after my puppy...

my puppy was chewing his toy beside us on the setttee and I was watching her put her fingers near his face and wiggling them so then when he would obviously nibble her she would tell him off and say “the little bugger” I was so close to saying well leave him to chew his toy why you touching him when he’s being quiet? She also keeps picking him up to “calm him down” which is actually making him go More Crazy, plus he will be learning that when he’s picked up it’s because he’s been “bad” when I dont want him like that 😩😩😩😩😩

She’s just cooked her son tea and told him to let it cool down if he wants ... he is 24 years old and cooks his own tea on a regular basis
Hahaha this all sounds like something that would annoy me too!!! And 6 eggs is a bit extravagant for one person!!! 🙈😂

Reactions: 4
My MIL is a raging alcoholic. Husband is swedish, and one time she came to stay with us for a week. She promised us she had been sober for X amount of months and she would be fine. First few days went without a hitch, then one day me and my husband went out shopping leaving her with my then 9 year old daughter, and husbands 8 year old son. By the time we got back she'd downed the best part of a bottle of vodka and could barely stand. My husband immediately packed her bag, drove her to a nearby premier inn and used her credit card to book a return flight the following day.

I thought this would teach her a lesson, and some time later said maybe we should let her visit again (we had seen her in Sweden in the meantime and she was fine). Husband was dead set against it saying he'd had 30 years of living with her tit and lies about being sober. But I'm a soft touch and convinced him to let her come, and we would never leave her unaccompanied. Anyway, long story short, she'd packed a few bottles and got shitfaced on the second day. Off she went, back to the Premier Inn and hasn't been back here since. We of course visit her in Sweden, but she will never come to ours again.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Not read the full thread, but here are some of the "highlights" of my mother in law's mother-in-law-ing behaviour:-

Taking one of my photos of my husband and baby and posting it on Facebook like it was her own. Posting nice replies to other people's comments on it and then DELETING my comments, even though they were nice ones.

Replying in the following terms when told my daughter had colic "are you still giving her milk straight from the fridge? If so, that will be causing her colic. Poor little baby" (NB this isn't actually true, it is an old wives tale. Colic is not parents' fault and is hellish for parents. At no point were we asked how we were coping or offered any words of comfort or reassurance from her)

Coming to this country (she doesn't live here), seeing her other child but not even mentioning it to my husband until after she had left.

Complaining that she didn't like the sound of the vegetarian option we had chosen for our wedding meal, so we ended up getting her a secret third option instead.

I could go on but I think you probably get the idea by now....

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Has anyone seen the filler filter on insta?! Well I sent the picture to my husband and told him not to be mad etc, pretending I'd had botched filler. His reaction was brilliant so I posted it on fb saying how gullible he was, I didn't tag him in it but my MIL commented and said "*husband's name* you need to get over here and sort out my heating, you've clearly got sod all better to do, pissing around with stupid photos on Facebook"
1. He isn't a bleeping plumber, so isn't going to mess around with a boiler ffs
2. Pay for a plumber you tight witch
3. He didn't even know I had posted any pictures and
4. He was at work ffs

I wrote back and said wtf are you talking about, he's at work, it's obviously just me with nothing better to do pissing around on fb.

It sounds pathetic writing it out now lol but it gave me the major rage at the time. Like full on anger.
I deleted her comment eventually as I didn't want a public slanging match on my fb when everyone else was laughing at this pic,

We hadnt heard from her since, its been about 3 weeks, she text today asking if I was going to be in with the kids this eve, I just text back and said no.

Terrible actually that all the tit I've put up with from her over the years, when she dies it will be a relief. I certainly won't be shedding any tears

• Wow
Reactions: 12
This includes both in laws .

It was fil's bday the last weekend of March, he asked if the kids wanted a tea party . I had stuff to do so hubby dropped them off and came home. We had things we were planning to have for tea that day too.

Since them hubby saw his dad and he was in a mood we didn't go over for his birthday( it was still lockdown) and didn't wish him happy birthday or get him a present. Brother in law was meant to be getting him a rather expensive present for his hobbies but it didn't turn up. We joked it was stuck in the Suez Canal . Turns out it was out of stock so bil didn't order anything.

Anyway, it's since been my birthday and they didn't wish me happy birthday or get me anything (that sounds selfish but they normally do).

Thinking back , the last time before that they saw the kids was mother's day . I think they just have time for us if they are going to get something in return. I imagine they'll bother in June for father's day .

Reactions: 3

You have my sympathy. She sounds like a nightmare....that last one did crack me up though!

If I started typing now I’d still be at it tonight! Let’s just say I haven’t spoken to mine in 10 years.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
haha my MIL had a family photo of her , her hubby , my hubby and his sister from his first wedding 14-15?? years ago, he was like mam you need to take it down and she was like narr its the one of the few we have all together? i think if the ex wife was in he would have pushed for it to come down

Reactions: 2
I reckon she done it to beat my 2 eggs I usually use when cooking for him
Cmon, you are starving her poor son😂

If I started typing now I’d still be at it tonight! Let’s just say I haven’t spoken to mine in 10 years.
Good for you. I should have done this 20 years ago.

Wait till she picks up your baby when it is about to sleep or even wakes it up just to see his beautyful smile. 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
haha my MIL had a family photo of her , her hubby , my hubby and his sister from his first wedding 14-15?? years ago, he was like mam you need to take it down and she was like narr its the one of the few we have all together? i think if the ex wife was in he would have pushed for it to come down
My MIL has a photo album with pictures of her son and ex girlfriends in.

I don't want lockdown to end because I don't want to see my MIL again 😂

Reactions: 5
My MIL has a photo album with pictures of her son and ex girlfriends in.

I don't want lockdown to end because I don't want to see my MIL again 😂
Haha I’m nervous seeing mine after lockdown because we got married 6 months ago and we had a big blow up the day after the wedding and we haven’t seen each other since 😂

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.