Model Gossip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
think I saw on Romee Strijd’s insta, when she announced she was pregnant, she discussed how she put on weight in order to do so. Said how much she restricted her diet, worked out and didn’t have a period foR a while. This is the side most people don’t see sadly
Not surprised! Romee has really bad lanugo all over her body, which is a clear sign of an eating disorder. It’s photoshopped out most of the time so you don’t see it but occasionally you’ll spot a super hairy arm on her back in the days. She also mentioned in that pregnancy video that she used to work out like a crazy person to stay slim.

Reactions: 6
Has anyone read Janice Dixkinson's books? They give a really great insight into modelling during the supermodel era. Can anyone recommend any good books on models? I've read a few but ive always been fascinated by the dark side of the industry.

Reactions: 9

This is good if anyone loves the original supermodels

There’s one called ‘unzipped’ as well but there’s only clips on YouTube

Reactions: 8
I remember reading a blind about the girl a few years ago discussing her iron discipline 500 calorie a day diet. I don’t think that sort of thing is sustainable longterm and it makes me wonder if she and other spawn models are fighting tooth and nail against their own body shapes rather than being naturally slender.

Not a criticism of healthy eating, just seems disordered for a young teenager who would normally have a far higher metabolism than an old waddler like me.
I think I read something about models ( I think it was Victoria Secret but may have been models in general) who used to eat cotton wool to fill up their stomachs calorie free. It seems to be a horrific industry and I cant see why these ex models want their daughters to do it. Honestly, if designers can't make clothes that fall nicely on women with boobs and hips, maybe they need to do a bit of retraining rather than force women into looking like children in order to fit into their clothes.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I think I read something about models ( I think it was Victoria Secret but may have been models in general) who used to eat cotton wool to fill up their stomachs calorie free. It seems to be a horrific industry and I cant see why these ex models want their daughters to do it. Honestly, if designers can't make clothes that fall nicely on women with boobs and hips, maybe they need to do a bit of retraining rather than force women into looking like children in order to fit into their clothes.
I think it's so tough because the requirements for an actual runway model are so strict: you need to be way taller than average, a lot thinner than average, and be good looking (whether that's beautiful or unique is another question), or at least have very defined features. What are the odds you'll find all this in the same person? Almost nil, so a lot of people who aren't naturally thin end up doing terrible things to stay competitive in the industry. Extensive plastic surgery is probably also very common in those who don't have the "right" features or look.

I'm 5'7, 110 lbs, small-boned, and have been underweight my whole life, and I still struggle to get my weight any lower (I pretty much have to revamp my diet and entire lifestyle to do it, and I start getting dizzy once I get below 105 lbs). I've looked at model stats and Freja Beha, whose 5'10, is apparently the same weight as me (though I do think she's actually naturally very thin!) so I can only imagine how hard it is for a lot of these girls (Gigi Hadid for example, lost so much weight once her career took off and often looks gaunt these days!).

Last edited:
I'm 5'7, 110 lbs, small-boned, and have been underweight my whole life, and I still struggle to get my weight any lower (I pretty much have to revamp my diet and entire lifestyle to do it, and I start getting dizzy once I get below 105 lb
I'm sorry to be nosy but why, if you are underweight are you even trying to get lower to the point of dizziness? It's really dangerous and I'm sure you're fine the way you are. It's not worth the struggle to make yourself ill ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm sorry to be nosy but why, if you are underweight are you even trying to get lower to the point of dizziness? It's really dangerous and I'm sure you're fine the way you are. It's not worth the struggle to make yourself ill ☹
Not nosy at all! I've almost always been around 110 lbs but at one point in my early 20s, I was a bit depressed and dropped to just above 100 lbs, and I often felt dizzy or had mini blackouts around that weight (like random 3-5 seconds where my vision would go dark out of nowhere daily - the doctor said it was probably low blood pressure) so I was too thin then and have since gotten back to my normal weight. I guess once in a while, I still do miss being that thin (which is probably unhealthy and terrible and I realize this). I'm not at a model height but at that weight, I looked modelesque because I was just so thin and looked taller as a result and with a pair of heels or tall boots, it looked very nice in photos. In reality though, my face was pretty gaunt and it didn't look or feel great. Just an illustration of what I think it must be like for actual models though...I'm sure it's way harder for them because they're so much taller and it's way harder to stay thin at their height!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Not nosy at all! I've almost always been around 110 lbs but at one point in my early 20s, I was a bit depressed and dropped to just above 100 lbs, and I often felt dizzy or had mini blackouts around that weight (like random 3-5 seconds where my vision would go dark out of nowhere daily - the doctor said it was probably low blood pressure) so I was too thin then and have since gotten back to my normal weight. I guess once in a while, I still do miss being that thin (which is probably unhealthy and terrible and I realize this). I'm not at a model height but at that weight, I looked modelesque because I was just so thin and looked taller as a result and with a pair of heels or tall boots, it looked very nice in photos. In reality though, my face was pretty gaunt and it didn't look or feel great. Just an illustration of what I think it must be like for actual models though...I'm sure it's way harder for them because they're so much taller and it's way harder to stay thin at their height!
at 5’7 you are at model height.

I am just under 5’10 and as I think I’ve already said on the thread, I was taller than a lot of the models I worked with in my old career. Agencies lie their arses off!

I also would say that most successful models are naturally very thin. Thet have to have that coltish physique to get signed. Then when they get signed, they pressured into losing more inches off their hips and bust ☹

• Sad
  • Wow

I am just under 5’10 and as I think I’ve already said on the thread, I was taller than a lot of the models I worked with in my old career. Agencies lie their arses off!

I also would say that most successful models are naturally very thin. Thet have to have that coltish physique to get signed. Then when they get signed, they pressured into losing more inches off their hips and bust ☹
Aww, thank you! I do wish I was a bit taller, and I think for the actually successful models, they are probably much closer to your height than mine (Kate Moss was a rare exception).

Any chance you're comfortable sharing what kind of stats the models typically had for bust/waist/hip? Curious to see if agencies are lying about those as well...

Sometimes I wonder if we all just dressed better, learned to do our makeup properly, knew how to pose, and took photos with strategic angles, if we'd all be able to look much better (rather than say, lose weight or undergo any other unrealistic measures). Models do get a lot of help in that arena.

Reactions: 7
I'm curious to know if there are "tells" for when a model is naturally thin vs. really struggling/going to drastic measures to keep weight off. I tend to think ALL models restrict way more than normal people (ie. "I eat so much!" or "I never eat less than 2000 calories a day" is BS), but I do think it's easier to lose weight for some than others.

Aww, thank you! I do wish I was a bit taller, and I think for the actually successful models, they are probably much closer to your height than mine (Kate Moss was a rare exception).

Any chance you're comfortable sharing what kind of stats the models typically had for bust/waist/hip? Curious to see if agencies are lying about those as well...

Sometimes I wonder if we all just dressed better, learned to do our makeup properly, knew how to pose, and took photos with strategic angles, if we'd all be able to look much better (rather than say, lose weight or undergo any other unrealistic measures). Models do get a lot of help in that arena.
I never checked anyone’s bust or hips or anything as I never did any fitting. I’m sure they do lie about those too! In fact it would make sense as generally you want samples to be baggy so you can pin them.

I think you’re probably right that a lot of the major names are closer to my height, but a fair few of them are surprisingly short, too. I am thinking through the most recognisable names I worked with and definitely none of them were ever taller than me, although agencies would have you all believe they’re 5’11 barefoot!

I suppose the thing is though that it’s not just about height. It’s about proportions, especially in photography. I’m an hourglass size 12 with a long torso and quite short legs for my height, so even though I’m tall overall, it’s easy for a 5’7 or 5’8 size 6 with skinny limbs to look taller (and look better in clothes!)

I can tell you I felt like a monstrous fat giant next to most models. It really messed with my self image. Can only imagine how bad it was for them comparing themselves to each other.

I'm curious to know if there are "tells" for when a model is naturally thin vs. really struggling/going to drastic measures to keep weight off. I tend to think ALL models restrict way more than normal people (ie. "I eat so much!" or "I never eat less than 2000 calories a day" is BS), but I do think it's easier to lose weight for some than others.
In my experience they were all naturally thin, but it’s never thin enough!

They were all trying to stay as small as possible, but there was definitely a difference in approach depending on their look. So, a lot of lingerie girls would follow restrictive diets and work out a lot, but they did eat. Whereas some of the edgier or more editorial girls just never seemed to eat or exercise.

I think it’s probably changed a bit now though, I don’t think that editorial look is as coveted anymore? My info is 10 years out of date!

I can remember one girl I was friendly with through work, she was stunning but she had been signed when she was very thin despite eating crap, and it seemed to start catching up to her at a point. The way her agency treated her was HORRENDOUS. They really tried to bully her into losing the weight. I should say I don’t mean she gained loads, not at all. She just filled out a tiny bit. I hear from former colleagues that there is more focus on health nowadays, and a bit more nutritional support, which is good.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Just my opinion but models with wider hips and bust, I think tend to not be as naturally thin (on a relative basis of course, and nothing wrong with that...they probably look better for stuff like VS!). Basically I think when someone looks gaunt or like they're starving in some places, but still normal or thicker in other places, they are probably restricting A LOT. But I agree with you that they probably all watch what they eat to some extent, but some probably do it in a more healthy way while others starve.

For example (and I LOVE her and think she's super beautiful), I don't think Elsa is naturally that thin because she looks like she has no body fat up top and in the abs, but her hips and thighs look almost a bit big relatively.

1597249513470.png

Freja Beha, on the other hand, just looks naturally slim all the way and her body fat looks more evenly distributed. She doesn't look like she's working out like crazy or not eating to achieve her body.

1597249748116.png
1597249864352.png

I never checked anyone’s bust or hips or anything as I never did any fitting. I’m sure they do lie about those too! In fact it would make sense as generally you want samples to be baggy so you can pin them.

I think you’re probably right that a lot of the major names are closer to my height, but a fair few of them are surprisingly short, too. I am thinking through the most recognisable names I worked with and definitely none of them were ever taller than me, although agencies would have you all believe they’re 5’11 barefoot!

I suppose the thing is though that it’s not just about height. It’s about proportions, especially in photography. I’m an hourglass size 12 with a long torso and quite short legs for my height, so even though I’m tall overall, it’s easy for a 5’7 or 5’8 size 6 with skinny limbs to look taller (and look better in clothes!)

I can tell you I felt like a monstrous fat giant next to most models. It really messed with my self image. Can only imagine how bad it was for them comparing themselves to each other.

In my experience they were all naturally thin, but it’s never thin enough!

They were all trying to stay as small as possible, but there was definitely a difference in approach depending on their look. So, a lot of lingerie girls would follow restrictive diets and work out a lot, but they did eat. Whereas some of the edgier or more editorial girls just never seemed to eat or exercise.

I think it’s probably changed a bit now though, I don’t think that editorial look is as coveted anymore? My info is 10 years out of date!

I can remember one girl I was friendly with through work, she was stunning but she had been signed when she was very thin despite eating crap, and it seemed to start catching up to her at a point. The way her agency treated her was HORRENDOUS. They really tried to bully her into losing the weight. I should say I don’t mean she gained loads, not at all. She just filled out a tiny bit. I hear from former colleagues that there is more focus on health nowadays, and a bit more nutritional support, which is good.
Thank you for your take on proportions! I'm currently 32/25/34 so I've always wondered. I agree that the super thin look isn't really in anymore these days...slim but fit seems to be the trend these days, which is great because it probably means everyone is eating more and exercising instead of wasting away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Thanks for your input, @Lanavalentine! It's bad enough to operate in a society where women think thin is "never thin enough", but I can't imagine being under that kind of pressure for your job, on top of being treated like tit. Sadly, your friend's story isn't the only one I've read about where their agency acted monstrously to get desired results. I think the general public focuses too much on the thin part of modeling, and not enough on the inhumane treatment models get. Athletes are also under pressure to keep their bodies in exceptional shape, but it's a given that they have coaches and nutritionists to help them.

@svdwoodsen your take on body shape makes sense! It reminds me a bit of the Kibbe Body Type system (which I've only casually looked at, have not read his book). Elsa's body is broader and she has a larger bone structure, whereas Freja is narrow and looks like she has sharp little bones that would accentuate her thinness.

Reactions: 5
Thanks for your input, @Lanavalentine! It's bad enough to operate in a society where women think thin is "never thin enough", but I can't imagine being under that kind of pressure for your job, on top of being treated like tit. Sadly, your friend's story isn't the only one I've read about where their agency acted monstrously to get desired results. I think the general public focuses too much on the thin part of modeling, and not enough on the inhumane treatment models get. Athletes are also under pressure to keep their bodies in exceptional shape, but it's a given that they have coaches and nutritionists to help them.
Yes, exactly! I found it really scary how everyone just seemed very accepting of the way models were often treated. I would definitely describe some of it as mental abuse. It was all a little bit hidden but if you scratched the surface and had a honest chat with people it would all come tumbling out. Sometimes dodgy things would happen and you’d be expected to just pretend you didn’t see or hear it. You could see some were cracking under the pressure, not just the demands of being as thin as possible but from the relentless nature of the job. 19-year olds suddenly dropped in an entirely new country, just expected to find their way around London for multiple go sees in a day with just a tube map to help them out!

Saying all that, I did enjoy a lot of that job. There is this weird idea that models are all stuck up and pretentious but often they were the least pretentious people around. A lot of the girls were really fun, and I struck up friendships with a few. I have some really fond memories of that time (aaah when I was young!) Thanks for letting me talk about it!

• Heart
@svdwoodsen your take on body shape makes sense! It reminds me a bit of the Kibbe Body Type system (which I've only casually looked at, have not read his book). Elsa's body is broader and she has a larger bone structure, whereas Freja is narrow and looks like she has sharp little bones that would accentuate her thinness.
The Kibbe Body Type system is so interesting! I just did a random test for fun and apparently I'm a dramatic classic. I'm guessing Freja would be a dramatic ahaha.

Reactions: 1
I kind of gave up on the Kibbe system b/c I had a really hard time wrapping my head around all the different types and none of the examples I saw online were consistent... I think people also over-simplify it based on the quiz, because I believe his book goes into way more detail and nuance. It certainly is interesting to know [one person's theory about] why people look the way they do, but at the end of the day, no one is going to perfectly fit any definition, and I can't be bothered to put that much time and effort into thinking about it :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Supermodel Karen Mulder’s story suggests a very dark side to the modelling agency. I hope she’s much happier these days

• Sad
Reactions: 10

I think now the ideal model height is 5ft10/11 you can’t walk for brands such as Burberry, Prada Givenchy if you’re under 5ft10. The only way round it is if you have a big name. Years ago I think they were a lot less strict of height and I do deffo agree agencies lie but not as much as they used to.

Most agencies starting height is 5ft 8 and most successful models heights are just under 5ft10 up.

I’ve met agents through friends who are models (never wanted to model lol just have an interest in it) and I’ve been told if only you’re a inch or two taller or call us when you’re 5ft10. (I was between 5ft 7 and 5ft 9 when this happened)

Reactions: 3
I think now the ideal model height is 5ft10/11 you can’t walk for brands such as Burberry, Prada Givenchy if you’re under 5ft10. The only way round it is if you have a big name. Years ago I think they were a lot less strict of height and I do deffo agree agencies lie but not as much as they used to.

Most agencies starting height is 5ft 8 and most successful models heights are just under 5ft10 up.

I’ve met agents through friends who are models (never wanted to model lol just have an interest in it) and I’ve been told if only you’re a inch or two taller or call us when you’re 5ft10. (I was between 5ft 7 and 5ft 9 when this happened)
I agree that unless you're connected somehow, you won't be able to walk for any major fashion shows unless you're 5'9 and above these days. I do remember it being a bit shorter when I was a teen (5'8 used to be the minimum) but people are generally getting taller so it's changed a bit. I think if someone is between 5'7-5'9, there's a fair bit of catalog or even some editorial work available but not fashion week. But if you just decide to become an instagram model, then height doesn't seem to matter.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.