Model Gossip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think now the ideal model height is 5ft10/11 you can’t walk for brands such as Burberry, Prada Givenchy if you’re under 5ft10. The only way round it is if you have a big name. Years ago I think they were a lot less strict of height and I do deffo agree agencies lie but not as much as they used to.

Most agencies starting height is 5ft 8 and most successful models heights are just under 5ft10 up.

I’ve met agents through friends who are models (never wanted to model lol just have an interest in it) and I’ve been told if only you’re a inch or two taller or call us when you’re 5ft10. (I was between 5ft 7 and 5ft 9 when this happened)
I agree, I can't imagine walking a runway if you aren't at least 5'10" (and if you look at pictures of shorter runway girls, it's really obvious). But "model" is a rather broad term... I think there are a lot of successful commercial models/"it" girls --like Camille Rowe, Emily Labowe, etc.--who are closer to 5'7". And if you are shorter than that.... well there's always Instagram. :LOL:

Reactions: 2
I agree, I can't imagine walking a runway if you aren't at least 5'10" (and if you look at pictures of shorter runway girls, it's really obvious). But "model" is a rather broad term... I think there are a lot of successful commercial models/"it" girls --like Camille Rowe, Emily Labowe, etc.--who are closer to 5'7".
I think 5'10-5'11 is the sweet spot for female models - much taller, and it starts to look a bit awkward? I always felt like Karlie Kloss (who actually has a great walk) still looked kinda gawky next to other models because she was so much taller.

Reactions: 6
I think now the ideal model height is 5ft10/11 you can’t walk for brands such as Burberry, Prada Givenchy if you’re under 5ft10. The only way round it is if you have a big name. Years ago I think they were a lot less strict of height and I do deffo agree agencies lie but not as much as they used to.

Most agencies starting height is 5ft 8 and most successful models heights are just under 5ft10 up.

I’ve met agents through friends who are models (never wanted to model lol just have an interest in it) and I’ve been told if only you’re a inch or two taller or call us when you’re 5ft10. (I was between 5ft 7 and 5ft 9 when this happened)
That’s interesting. As I’m sure my previous comments probably indicate, I worked on shoots, not with catwalk, so I suppose height was never a deciding factor in casting.

I wonder how the biggest names who were barely even 5’7 would fare if starting out now? Kate, Cara? I am sure Agyness Deyn was only about 5’7. She was such a huge deal for a while. A lot of the Victoria’s Secret girls I worked with before they made it big aren’t as tall as they claim either. Would they just not even get signed nowadays?!

Reactions: 5
That’s interesting. As I’m sure my previous comments probably indicate, I worked on shoots, not with catwalk, so I suppose height was never a deciding factor in casting.

I wonder how the biggest names who were barely even 5’7 would fare if starting out now? Kate, Cara? I am sure Agyness Deyn was only about 5’7. She was such a huge deal for a while. A lot of the Victoria’s Secret girls I worked with before they made it big aren’t as tall as they claim either. Would they just not even get signed nowadays?!
I’ve met girls who are 5ft8 ish who have been rejected by Burberry but have done campaigns with Calvin Klein, Chanel etc.

I deffo think a name gets your far in the industry and it seems that once your in working with a brand, your in forever. Atm height deffo seems like a large factor, they’re is girls signed by agencies who are shorter than 5ft10 but they seem to miss out on a lot opportunities because they’re too short for the casting

Reactions: 4
A little off-topic, but I totally forgot about Agyness Deyn! My god, she was EVERYwhere, to the point where I kind of got sick of her. Cara also suffered from overexposure, in my eyes, although I guess she eventually decided to pursue "acting".

Reactions: 20
A little off-topic, but I totally forgot about Agyness Deyn! My god, she was EVERYwhere, to the point where I kind of got sick of her. Cara also suffered from overexposure, in my eyes, although I guess she eventually decided to pursue "acting".
Agy was such an "it girl" but I honestly never got the appeal. Her face looks so plain to me and she just seems like an instagram model whose edgy, before instagram models were a thing.

Also agree that Cara was totally overexposed but she made more sense to me.

Reactions: 8
It appears Agyness is also an actress now... 🤔 I guess that's the inevitable career trajectory? To be honest, I would take her over Cara, who always just looked like a bratty kid to me.

I can't stand Cara and her constant scowl. She just seems like someone who would be a total pain in the ass to be around

Reactions: 14
If I think of another model with that sort of pouty, child-like energy, I think of Sasha Pivovarova... and she is flawless (more of an innocent child pout, not a bratty one). Talk about night and day.

Speaking of Russian/Eastern European models, how come there are so many of them but they don't seem to become that popular/successful? I feel like there's this stereotype that most runway models are from that region but if as far as exposure goes, they're not nearly as popular as their western/northern European counterparts, or even Americans.

Reactions: 9
Speaking of Russian/Eastern European models, how come there are so many of them but they don't seem to become that popular/successful? I feel like there's this stereotype that most runway models are from that region but if as far as exposure goes, they're not nearly as popular as their western/northern European counterparts, or even Americans.
I suppose that depends on who you ask... The average joe probably can't name one model besides the 90s supers. But even a simple Google search brings up a lot of big names: Vlada Rolsyakova, Sasha Pivovarova, Natalia Vodianova, Natasha Poly, Paulina Porizkova...

Reactions: 6
I suppose that depends on who you ask... The average joe probably can't name one model besides the 90s supers. But even a simple Google search brings up a lot of big names: Vlada Rolsyakova, Sasha Pivovarova, Natalia Vodianova, Natasha Poly, Paulina Porizkova...
Not gonna lie, I only know Natalia V and Natasha Poly from that list. That being said, it might be a location thing. I'm in North America and here we place a huge focus on local models, especially VS, SI, and (ugh) Instagram ones. High fashion isn't the most popular to begin with.

I'm in North American too, and totally agree with you about VS models getting most of the attention, but to be honest, I don't think high fashion is popular anywhere. I could be having a brain fart right now, but I can't name any legit American models except for Karlie Kloss.

Reactions: 3
I'm in North American too, and totally agree with you about VS models getting most of the attention, but to be honest, I don't think high fashion is popular anywhere. I could be having a brain fart right now, but I can't name any legit American models except for Karlie Kloss.
Very good point! The only ones I can think of are VS girls (I somehow associate Karlie with this, Grace Elizabeth, Jasmine Tookes, Taylor Hill) or SI (Kate Upton, Hannah Jeter, and those are also due to their high profile relationships). I guess we have the Hadids and Kendall Jenner. 😂

I actually really liked the doll-face girls from the early 2000s like Jessica Stam, Heather Marks, and Gemma Ward but it seems like they've all retired or aren't popular anymore.

I actually really liked the doll-face girls from the early 2000s like Jessica Stam, Heather Marks, and Gemma Ward but it seems like they've all retired or aren't popular anymore.
Haha, I know this isn't the point you were trying to make here, but none of these girls are American either. 🙃

Now, this is a total generalization, but I've heard that American (and to some extent, Western European) girls have a bad reputation for being entitled/whiny/having bad work ethic, which could account for their lack of representation in high fashion. Staying thin requires a ton of discipline, and walking shows doesn't pay anything... I can see why certain people would rather stick to more commercial campaigns which are less strict and pay better. By contrast, Eastern European/Siberian models are known for being harder working and complaining less (probably has to do with fewer opportunities back at home). Of course, everybody is different and your nationality doesn't preclude you from being a royal pain in the ass, so take all that with a grain of salt 😇

Reactions: 4
Haha, I know this isn't the point you were trying to make here, but none of these girls are American either. 🙃

Now, this is a total generalization, but I've heard that American (and to some extent, Western European) girls have a bad reputation for being entitled/whiny/having bad work ethic, which could account for their lack of representation in high fashion. Staying thin requires a ton of discipline, and walking shows doesn't pay anything... I can see why certain people would rather stick to more commercial campaigns which are less strict and pay better. By contrast, Eastern European/Siberian models are known for being harder working and complaining less (probably has to do with fewer opportunities back at home). Of course, everybody is different and your nationality doesn't preclude you from being a royal pain in the ass, so take all that with a grain of salt 😇
...North American? First two are Canadian. :ROFLMAO:

Ohh I didn't know walking shows didn't pay well! I have heard rumors about the poor work ethic and entitlement as well, so I can totally see that. Does editorial or ads pay better? I didn't know commercial paid that well!

Dutch ladies (are they considered western European? Maybe central) do really well and have good reputations. And I think the Scandinavian girls are well liked as well. I've heard horror stories about bad attitudes from American and UK models though lol.

Agyness Deyn lied about her age didn't she?.Said she was 21 when she was really 26 or something.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
...North American? First two are Canadian. :ROFLMAO:

Ohh I didn't know walking shows didn't pay well! I have heard rumors about the poor work ethic and entitlement as well, so I can totally see that. Does editorial or ads pay better? I didn't know commercial paid that well!

Dutch ladies (are they considered western European? Maybe central) do really well and have good reputations. And I think the Scandinavian girls are well liked as well. I've heard horror stories about bad attitudes from American and UK models though lol.
I’m pretty sure shows pay the least out of everything. Campaigns pay the most, then I think it’s ecom, then fittings/stylings then shows, for small models anyways

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.