MOD & FOD #31 Stay Alert -> Delete the Comments -> Save Sponsorships

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was thinking back to November. My initial reaction to the comment about Candice was that I couldn’t judge whether it was racist as I’m not a WOC and so my opinion wasn’t helpful. I then did quite a bit of reading, include lots of diverse social media, and decided it absolutely was. (I educated myself.) I had quite a few fights on here at the time as a result with people who really disagreed with me. I also felt awful about times in the past that I had dismissed that sort of comment as not particularly serious.

That’s the sort of journey Clemmie should have gone on. An apology and a promise to do better, and to understand the impact that these things have - even more from her as a HCP. A BAME woman arriving at the labour ward and finding out that her midwife was someone who has been openly part of the culture that dismisses black women in an environment in which she needs to trust her absolutely is really, really damaging. It could have a direct impact on your labour and birth. Her acknowledgement of what went wrong would have helped.

Ironically of course she had only recently posted about Why I’m No Longer Talking To White People About Race (also ‘recommended’ by FoD) which explains EXACTLY WHY that sort of comment matters. For those who remember she had said that it changed her outlook but then refused to give any specifics at all. I assume she didn’t actually read it and it was just another virtue signalling post.

There was a way forward but it involved honesty and humility.
I love your post @Affiliatemebaby 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think them not addressing it just compounds their racism and white privilege - they obviously thought it would just blow over, wasn't a big deal, people would move on, severely underestimating how serious a problem everyday racism is in this country and how detached they are from the reality of our racist society and why an NHS midwife writing such things was so utterly problematic and harmful. Deep down they just didn't think it was a problem! Vile on every level. I really hope people keep holding FOD and by association MOD to account. The dream would be for him to apply all his so called reading and learning and do several posts which properly analyse and identify brand OD's racism and white entitlement over the years. Happy to do it for him!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Affiliatemebaby thank you. I always remember a lot of people at the time dismissing/minimising what Clemmie said owing to Candices background/their feeling towards her. How she is allowed to practice is beyond me. How is a WOC meant to feel safe and supported during her birth.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Have to say I was also ignorant to my underlying racism by not fully grasping how racist her comment was re. Candice. In part because I find Candice hard and I could see how she would rub people up the wrong way but absolutely yes saying she brings things back to race is inherently racist. I have a lot to learn though.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Affiliatemebaby thank you. I always remember a lot of people at the time dismissing/minimising what Clemmie said owing to Candices background/their feeling towards her. How she is allowed to practice is beyond me. How is a WOC meant to feel safe and supported during her birth.
I’ve never forgotten seeing that very awkward picture on her feed of her and CB.

Reactions: 11
They will never own it, because they genuinely believe that she didn't post racist content. Until they are able to understand that, they will continue to live in that ignorant bubble.

As someone said yesterday, Clemmie could have really learned from her actions and came back stronger... but she's just not a very nice person, so that was never going to happen.
Exactly what I was going to write. If this week is the first time he's looking at his own white privilege, it means he truly doesn't believe she did anything wrong last year. I bet he froths at the mouth about the asylum seekers coming across in the boats near him, and spouts all kinds of daily mailesque rubbish about it too. He's the Nigel Farage of Instagram

• Heart
Reactions: 9
1591179734546.png

Body language says a lot. Shoulders don't want to be touched and she's pulling away from her. Second picture is on the same page.

1591179871555.png

From google images: Keywords candice brathwaite clemmie hooper

Last edited:
  • Wow
Oh my. The body language speaks volumes.
And the face C is pulling in the first photo. 😐

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
This is all so true, and you have to wonder why the SODs management company handled this so badly - or perhaps they advised Clemmie to own it and apologise but she and Sly are so arrogant they probably thought they knew best. Although isn't Sly still on their books?
I think you’re right that it’s them that didn’t want to address it and openly admit Clemmie was racist; but like I’ve said on previous posts by not owning it it will continually come back to bite them like it has now....and blooming well serves them right!
I it is never going away.

Reactions: 2
Those tweets from SV 😳 WHYYYYY would you ever type that sort of bollocks out?!? Even if you thought it, surely some sort of filter would come through to make you think “Ah, maybe I’ll keep this to myself, could be a mistake.” Instead she had, “Great idea, Il’ll post to Twitter, a huge public platform so people can read my crappy thoughts and screenshot them for proof I’m a dick in the future.”
I just don’t understand when people are upset when they get called out for some racist, sexist, hateful tit they have spouted and say, ‘It was years ago, I have learned since then, I don’t say things like that now.” Not to be a massive virtuous dick but I would never have tit like that on FB even if you trawled back 10 years. I was putting song lyrics as statuses FGS 😂 So when minor influencer ‘celebs’ are revealed to have posted hateful content, people just say, oh well, it was YEARS ago, and let them off the hook. Yes it was years ago but THEY STILL SAID IT! (And probably still think that way!)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The black woman with Clemmie in these photos is Relebohile Leoatha, not Candice? Candice is in the very last pic, seated next to standing Clemmie at the table.

View attachment 144419

Body language says a lot. Shoulders don't want to be touched and she's pulling away from her. Second picture is on the same page.

View attachment 144421

From google images: Keywords candice brathwaite clemmie hooper
The woman in the bottom pic is not Candice Brathwaite.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.