MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had girls do similar to me over Insta. I had a girl who liked all my photos and then messaged and wanted to talk about travelling and holidays and all that....turns out she just wanted to sign me up as an ‘independent travel agent’. During a pandemic.
I’ve just unfollowed what was a small interiors account who is now posting as if she’s Michael Palin and has been to every corner of the globe trying to sell holidays. Who is booking a holiday at the moment, much less with a stranger on Instagram? It seems a very odd career move to me! She’d never posted anything about a holiday or travel ever before 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 6
I’ve just unfollowed what was a small interiors account who is now posting as if she’s Michael Palin and has been to every corner of the globe trying to sell holidays. Who is booking a holiday at the moment, much less with a stranger on Instagram? It seems a very odd career move to me! She’d never posted anything about a holiday or travel ever before 🤦🏻‍♀️
A girl I used to work with (note she still works there) claimed that there was scope for her to earn a 7 figure salary from being an independent travel agent...sure Jan. Does anyone have any more information on the independent travel agent MLM? Do they actually have access to better rates?

Reactions: 5
A girl I used to work with (note she still works there) claimed that there was scope for her to earn a 7 figure salary from being an independent travel agent...sure Jan. Does anyone have any more information on the independent travel agent MLM? Do they actually have access to better rates?
I really don’t get what it is but I’ve had 3 girls now try it on Instagram with me. I don’t really get what it is and how they earn commission from it. Not only that, it’s a really weird time to be pushing it. I’d love a holiday but it’s just not going to happen right now!

Reactions: 4
Re: MLMs being like cults.. MLM-Hun SIL said about her MLM; "it's a great family to be part of" to her ACTUAL family 🤦‍♀️

Also in case you're wondering what they talk about in their girl boss meetings...the influence of the moon apparently

• Haha
Reactions: 8
No one is making money from travel. Not experts and definitely not random Karen’s .

Reactions: 15
No one is making money from travel. Not experts and definitely not random Karen’s .
Exactly! If the big names are struggling, why do they think that they’ll be making any money from it selling over Instagram. 😂
Btw I’m so glad I found this thread, it’s so nice to have like minded people to talk to 😂😂

Reactions: 9
I’ve had girls do similar to me over Insta. I had a girl who liked all my photos and then messaged and wanted to talk about travelling and holidays and all that....turns out she just wanted to sign me up as an ‘independent travel agent’. During a pandemic.
That's hilarious it's such a weird feeling 😂 I would feel way too embarrassed to be that transparent

Reactions: 2
I love watching anti mlm stuff on YouTube, there's a lot of videos where they compare mlms to cults & the BITE model is heavily used.
The Dream podcast is excellent (Series 2 I think) - it's American and a really good insight to the culture (and cult) of MLMs

The thing is ive seen a girl on instagram called evegracexo and she does FM and must have quite a few beneath her . Shes got herself a range rover (on PCP i am sure ) , she posts designer handbags and pics wearing £250 wooly hats but i know theyre all from some dodgy fake chinese site. So people think shes living the dream with this lifestyle (which is fake af) and then join up and start probably buying real designer gear trying to keep up with the fake joneses !! Its damaging.

• Wow
These MLM schemes seem to be like a revolving door saturating social media with a different trend every few months be it Herbalife, Younique, JuicePlus, Forever Living etc.

It's like that Tay Blue girl, does anyone remember she had a relatively successful clothing brand called Hot Mess? She was only young as well! And now she's sacked it all off to be a big time upline

Reactions: 1
A few weeks ago I posted on my local ladies page asking about natural deodorants and what people recommend - some of them were SOOO expensive, like $30. I ended up going for Dove's aluminum-free deo which I highly recommend.

Anyway. Today I got a message from a woman on the group saying "hey I don't normally message random people (yeah sure). But I saw you asked about natural deodorant, l use one without toxins if your looking for one? l get it online and its quite inexpensive"

And I thought here we go...another MLM.

I replied that I ended up going with Dove and it's working well. / end of.

She then replied saying: "Awesome I use one that I get from this shopping club How much was the dove one if you don’t mind me asking."

So I am like "wtf is Shopping Club" - when I googled it, Melaleuca company came up and lo and behold it is an MLM. ()

I replied "$4" - short and simple. No reason for her to reply...

She replied: "i get a 3 pack for 13. 37.. how big is that one?"

LOL, duck off. She still hasn't mentioned an MLM but I am getting serious MLM vibes from her.

I replied: "No idea. The regular size. Some people mentioned natural ones that are sold online but I am not interested in buying online."

I am curious if she will reply. Maybe I read it wrong...maybe it isn't MLM but she is certainly ticking all the boxes.

1. I am not interested in buying deo online, MLM or not. I want to just go to the bleeping supermarket for it.
2. I hate MLMs.

I know a juice plus bot who’s put ‘7 figure earner’ on their profile. They failed maths at school, probably needs a lesson on decimal points.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
A few weeks ago I posted on my local ladies page asking about natural deodorants and what people recommend - some of them were SOOO expensive, like $30. I ended up going for Dove's aluminum-free deo which I highly recommend.

Anyway. Today I got a message from a woman on the group saying "hey I don't normally message random people (yeah sure). But I saw you asked about natural deodorant, l use one without toxins if your looking for one? l get it online and its quite inexpensive"

And I thought here we go...another MLM.

I replied that I ended up going with Dove and it's working well. / end of.

She then replied saying: "Awesome I use one that I get from this shopping club How much was the dove one if you don’t mind me asking."

So I am like "wtf is Shopping Club" - when I googled it, Melaleuca company came up and lo and behold it is an MLM. ()

I replied "$4" - short and simple. No reason for her to reply...

She replied: "i get a 3 pack for 13. 37.. how big is that one?"

LOL, duck off. She still hasn't mentioned an MLM but I am getting serious MLM vibes from her.

I replied: "No idea. The regular size. Some people mentioned natural ones that are sold online but I am not interested in buying online."

I am curious if she will reply. Maybe I read it wrong...maybe it isn't MLM but she is certainly ticking all the boxes.

1. I am not interested in buying deo online, MLM or not. I want to just go to the bleeping supermarket for it.
2. I hate MLMs.
who buys deodarant in bulk anyway? Such a weird thing to do. Like pay a couple of quid every month or so and be done with it

who buys deodarant in bulk anyway? Such a weird thing to do. Like pay a couple of quid every month or so and be done with it
She replied with a thumbs up. LOL. Obviously saw I wasn't going to budge. Good. I hate people trying to sell tit like that, especially messaging random folk.

Reactions: 2
I know a juice plus bot who’s put ‘7 figure earner’ on their profile. They failed maths at school, probably needs a lesson on decimal points.
on the Sunday Times rich list is she 🤣🤣🤣 lol, definitely a misplaced decimal!

• Haha
Have literally read through this entire thread. Interesting stuff. Especially the cult thing. I read that a lot of these companies all started in Utah in the US which is a state with a lot of Mormon people and lax tax laws. Thankfully not too many people add or msg me on Facebook because I don’t tend to buy their stuff but 2 women I know locally who are into mlms, probably got into them first in the area and so have lined up lots of recruits. Both of them moved abroad in the last year/18 months but one has moved back since. She’s not your typical hun. More of a ‘wellness’ mummy. I know for a fact she hasn’t vaccinated her kids and she’s homeschooling them too. But since she’s gotten back I notice she is really all about ‘the church’ now. It’s gone a bit weird.
so that’s what I’m wondering. When you reach a certain level in mlm does the church come into it?
I must look into some of thepodcasts mentioned earlier in the thread.

Reactions: 1
How many people do you think the top1% have in their teams?

Nicola Willa (Arbonne) has been in Mexico for about a month now. Never even posts about products. Just selling the dream. I wonder how many people are making her money.

How many people do you think the top1% have in their teams?

Nicola Willa (Arbonne) has been in Mexico for about a month now. Never even posts about products. Just selling the dream. I wonder how many people are making her money.
In FM the very top have maybe 10,000, but they won’t all be active

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.