MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A few weeks ago I posted on my local ladies page asking about natural deodorants and what people recommend - some of them were SOOO expensive, like $30. I ended up going for Dove's aluminum-free deo which I highly recommend.

Anyway. Today I got a message from a woman on the group saying "hey I don't normally message random people (yeah sure). But I saw you asked about natural deodorant, l use one without toxins if your looking for one? l get it online and its quite inexpensive"

And I thought here we go...another MLM.

I replied that I ended up going with Dove and it's working well. / end of.

She then replied saying: "Awesome I use one that I get from this shopping club How much was the dove one if you don’t mind me asking."

So I am like "wtf is Shopping Club" - when I googled it, Melaleuca company came up and lo and behold it is an MLM. ()

I replied "$4" - short and simple. No reason for her to reply...

She replied: "i get a 3 pack for 13. 37.. how big is that one?"

LOL, duck off. She still hasn't mentioned an MLM but I am getting serious MLM vibes from her.

I replied: "No idea. The regular size. Some people mentioned natural ones that are sold online but I am not interested in buying online."

I am curious if she will reply. Maybe I read it wrong...maybe it isn't MLM but she is certainly ticking all the boxes.

1. I am not interested in buying deo online, MLM or not. I want to just go to the bleeping supermarket for it.
2. I hate MLMs.
She has to be. Otherwise no need to message you at all lol

Reactions: 1
I'm slowly making my way through the thread because I absolutely love this MLM stuff, though of course feel sorry for anyone involved in it.

I know a family member who seems to be high up with FM World, but man I'm really not getting the praise for their products from what I have read.

Also, this may have been mentioned but this woman does/has done some interesting videos and math.

Reactions: 2
As long as it wasn't expensive, I would certainly do it :D. I wouldn't care if they bothered me asking why am I not selling - I would be honest and tell them I just haven't the confidence for it.. what can they do about it 😂 Though don't want to piss my friend off as she is the girl I would be going through :cautious:
I’d say if you like the products, do it. Means you’ll get a discount on anything and your pal will more than likely stop hassling you as she knows you’ll never buy from her now you have the discount. Just be clear that you have no intention of selling and making it as a business. Be firm that it is a final no and not a “no just now” as some MLM huns live by that motto. I’ve got girls that have joined me and have been upfront straight away and said they just wanted to join for discount for themselves and I’m totally fine with that. Also means that when I’m offering some team coaching I just leave them out as I know they aren’t interested and equally I don’t want to be annoying either.

Have literally read through this entire thread. Interesting stuff. Especially the cult thing. I read that a lot of these companies all started in Utah in the US which is a state with a lot of Mormon people and lax tax laws. Thankfully not too many people add or msg me on Facebook because I don’t tend to buy their stuff but 2 women I know locally who are into mlms, probably got into them first in the area and so have lined up lots of recruits. Both of them moved abroad in the last year/18 months but one has moved back since. She’s not your typical hun. More of a ‘wellness’ mummy. I know for a fact she hasn’t vaccinated her kids and she’s homeschooling them too. But since she’s gotten back I notice she is really all about ‘the church’ now. It’s gone a bit weird.
so that’s what I’m wondering. When you reach a certain level in mlm does the church come into it?
I must look into some of thepodcasts mentioned earlier in the thread.
That fascinates me too and I’ve also investigated it (I also have a bit of a fascination with cults, not that I’m calling Mormons a cult but hopefully you get the gist!) and the reason so many MLM’s started in Utah is because as Mormons they are used to the hard sell if you like. They go on missions to preach their beliefs and I suppose they view the business like that and see it as their mission to show others the benefits of a MLM business. In their religion they will have so many say no to them so they view offering the business like that too.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Check this out!

I would say 90% of these women make virtually nothing. The pitch is usually “work from home, work flexible hours, provide for your children“ - the language is very emotive. Its not that easy - I’ve organised enough PTA fairs over the years, and I see these poor women at their stalls flogging Younique, Scentsy, Jewellery, perfume, candles ... whatever it is, it’s usually tat, they make an initial outlay from their own pockets to buy stock that they have to sell. If they don’t sell enough they lose their ‘status’ so some end up buying their own stock. Just get a proper job.
This pisses me off they act like it’s the only job in the world where you can work from home, look around you, we are in a remote world now and things won’t be going back to how they were!

There are plenty of jobs out there, LEGIT jobs where you can work from home. I have one! I get paid a really great wage, my job is rewarding and I’m not scamming anybody, and guess what! I can pick my mini maracas up from school! 🤣🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Check this out!

This pisses me off they act like it’s the only job in the world where you can work from home, look around you, we are in a remote world now and things won’t be going back to how they were!

There are plenty of jobs out there, LEGIT jobs where you can work from home. I have one! I get paid a really great wage, my job is rewarding and I’m not scamming anybody, and guess what! I can pick my mini maracas up from school! 🤣🤷‍♀️
Snap! I now work remotely too and when the office reopens I’ll only probably go in 1-2 times a week. My boyfriend will probably stay fully remote. We will always be able to drop off and pick up our kids for school now. We get paid monthly on time and know exactly how much we’ll get, we get paid holiday and sick pay and loads of great benefits like gym, dental, healthcare. Would hate to live the life of a hun!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Same! I was told before the pandemic to manage my own time and work from home if it suited me better. The company I work for is growing rapidly and they don’t have the office space for everyone if they all appeared on the same day. I was a bit reluctant to work from home daily as I was new and thought people needed to get to know me and vice versa. Now even when things return to normal I won’t be going into the office at all.

Reactions: 4
Snap! I now work remotely too and when the office reopens I’ll only probably go in 1-2 times a week. My boyfriend will probably stay fully remote. We will always be able to drop off and pick up our kids for school now. We get paid monthly on time and know exactly how much we’ll get, we get paid holiday and sick pay and loads of great benefits like gym, dental, healthcare. Would hate to live the life of a hun!
This is exactly it! I don’t work from home, but I don’t see how they see that as a benefit when that’s their ONLY benefit they get. They don’t get annual leave, don’t get any benefits like discounts or money off gym memeberships and things like that. Yet they still go on about it as if it’s the best job ever. I don’t get the appeal and never will!

Reactions: 5
I’d say if you like the products, do it. Means you’ll get a discount on anything and your pal will more than likely stop hassling you as she knows you’ll never buy from her now you have the discount. Just be clear that you have no intention of selling and making it as a business. Be firm that it is a final no and not a “no just now” as some MLM huns live by that motto. I’ve got girls that have joined me and have been upfront straight away and said they just wanted to join for discount for themselves and I’m totally fine with that. Also means that when I’m offering some team coaching I just leave them out as I know they aren’t interested and equally I don’t want to be annoying either.

That fascinates me too and I’ve also investigated it (I also have a bit of a fascination with cults, not that I’m calling Mormons a cult but hopefully you get the gist!) and the reason so many MLM’s started in Utah is because as Mormons they are used to the hard sell if you like. They go on missions to preach their beliefs and I suppose they view the business like that and see it as their mission to show others the benefits of a MLM business. In their religion they will have so many say no to them so they view offering the business like that too.
yeah I read somewhere that certain companies, including coca cola (which seems ironic as mormons don't drink caffeine) actively recruit Mormons for sales roles as they have so much experience in it from a young age

yeah I read somewhere that certain companies, including coca cola (which seems ironic as mormons don't drink caffeine) actively recruit Mormons for sales roles as they have so much experience in it from a young age
Mormons drink coke. Even though it has caffeine. They just dont drink hot drinks with caffeine...🤷‍♀️

The podcast is excellent so far 👌 enjoying listening while making dinner in the evenings

Kimbyrleigha is another good MLM exposer on YouTube. She comes across as very intelligent and she is an entrepreneur of her own online business (not claiming she has a business by working at the bottom of someone else’s pyramid scheme). I also like the fact she sticks up for girls who are duped into joining these schemes by exposing the real mlm huns, because from reading past posts, there’s clearly a link of picking on vulnerable people with some of these MLM companies.
This comment didn't age very well...

In case y'all don't know, KL has been exposed as a grifter and now she's a Monat hun who runs $400 scam "courses" as a side hustle.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I have a friend who had a fb friend who started on younique didn't really do a whole lot then found fm last year got lucky with timing and recruited loads under her. Doing lives with her feral kids every couple days. Anyway fast forward 6 or so months she was tagged in a fb post going where is the money you stole X amount (over £10k region) I presume she wasn't paying for stuff or taking orders but never actually puttjng them through? Don't know how you'd even scam through this!?
Anyway she deleted anything FM related over night and quiet since. Never did find out the end story but I presume with the mute she did actually take the money.

Never thought you'd make that much unless you were high up in the top of your 'leadership'

Reactions: 3
Someone mentioned being hit up by random girls asking them about their recent trip to some country, or something they seem to enjoy. this seems to be a variation of 'forming'.

I haven't really watched all of the videos on the channel but I will say it's rather interesting, especially as the person was apparently top 1% of some MLM and seems to be well-versed (obviously) in the tactics the 'industry' uses

Also a quick edit - some people mentioned their friends who are selling 'magical pills' that they seemingly haven't disclosed the name/brand of. Again, a tactic that is meant to lead you to ask them what the pills are so they can slide into your DMs. Sometimes the upline also comments to 'kickstart' the reaction, or says that the pills have worked for them.

Honestly I lowkey find the marketing tactics used by MLMs really interesting

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I was hoping the connection between Mormonism/The LDS Church and MLMs would come up on here. It is easy to see why so many MLM brands are Mormon owned as well as Mormon members being easily recruited to sell, the whole mission they do when they reach the age of 18 (2 years for males, 18 months for females) is basically a relentless sales pitch of their religion. The actual LDS church is very much akin to an MLM, actively recruiting and with members paying 10% of their earnings in tithe to the church.

This is going to be long winded sorry. I had an experience a couple of years ago having Mormonism pitched to me and not at my front door like it usually is. A lady I was receiving some online tuition from kept inviting/pressuring me to meet up with her 'as friends'. I had realised from a couple of things she'd said that she was very religious, but not Mormon, so I felt super awkward sat with my coffee the first time when I realised :ROFLMAO: At first I did think she was just lonely and being friendly. After a few meet ups, she invited me to her house to have our lesson in person, when I got there I just had a really weird feeling about it and was freaking out a bit tbh but couldn't put my finger on why, I text my boyfriend to say if I didn't ring him by a certain time to be worried, he thought I was being stupid! Anyway, she rushed through the lesson and alarm bells were ringing, I had a feeling there was some ulterior motive, she then started asking me awkward questions about am I religious, are my parents religious etc. Baring in mind also the tuition I was receiving was to learn a second language and she would speak only that with me so this is adding to the stress as I can't say what I really think in English. It was around Christmas and she asked did I want to go and see a nativity scene with her son (who was young and very sweet), they live near a park so I just assumed it was there and was thinking 'okay just go and look at the nativity, say it's very nice then get the hell out of here'. She basically pushed me out the door with him and he then asked me where my car was! I was like erm, okay. We got in my car and he's directing me to this 'nativity scene'which as it turns out, is 20 minutes down the road not only at, but inside the church at the big duck off Mormon temple. Literally from the moment we entered it was the weirdest experience of my life. There were 'Elders' there mainly from the USA, all hugging me and welcoming me. We walked round the nativity and all the time the son is giving me this spiel, asking me what my interests are and how the church will encourage me with them. I had a full blown tour of the church (not the temple cos I am a heathen but we walked around it) I got introduced to members from various levels of the church and they honestly had a cult like vibe about them, they seemed to have no boundaries about asking quite personal questions to someone they had only just met who was clearly very nervous. At the end of the tour I had a long sales pitch about how the LDS church would improve all aspects of my life as well as some pretty mad religious stories from a young lad from Utah and 3 others who were asking me to commit to coming back to a service and gave me the book of Mormon which I had to promise to read. My boyfriend had rang me a hundred times as it had been hours by this point. The son wanted to stay there thankfully so I went back to my car, basically sped out of the car park on 2 wheels, got home to my very worried boyfriend, got straight in the shower then asked what I wanted to do my reply was 'The pub. I want to go to the pub.' 😂

It was honestly the strangest experience of my life. I felt very stressed the entire time and I have blanked some of it out I think as I just felt so uncomfortable. They are very persuasive people and all have a happy, sheen like quality to them almost. It is very easy to see how people get sucked in and I do think it is the worlds biggest MLM. It did send me down a total rabbit hole for weeks afterwards tbh. The ex mormon forum on Reddit is very interesting. Needless to say about the above, I found a new tutor who didn't have any ulterior motives to try and convert me to any cults 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.