MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree with you but to keep myself sane I have to not get worked up about it. I’ll continue to boycott any product (other than Avon stuff) that is sold by an MLM bot.

I feel sorry for the women, and it is mainly women, that are targeted.

The worst thing for me is that the people who do the recruiting KNOW what they’re getting their friends into, and do it anyway. They’ve been conned too. It’s sad, and it can cost a person who is probably already vulnerable a lot more than ££. It should be outlawed.
Totally agree and hope I didn't come across as preachy xx

Reactions: 1
Sorry if it's been answered but how do the supposed 'top earners' in these MLMs get a car from the company as a reward? What is the catch? It is leased? High interest rate? Like everyone else in these 'businesses' I imagine there is something predatory going on in regards to the higher end rewards.

A girl I went to school with was selling the IT works wrap. Which is basically a corset disguised as a stomach trainer that tones the abdomen :rolleyes:At one point she bought a used BMW and claimed she could afford it because of the MLM. We're in America. I'm not sure what it's like over in the UK but in America BMWs are notorious for falling apart at around 100,000 miles. Even before that point regular maintenance can be expensive and you'll pay a premium if you need parts shipped in from overseas. But hey it's all about image and perceived status. I've never understood a car as a status symbol. So other people can see you drive past them on the road for a few seconds?

Reactions: 4
Sorry if it's been answered but how do the supposed 'top earners' in these MLMs get a car from the company as a reward? What is the catch? It is leased? High interest rate? Like everyone else in these 'businesses' I imagine there is something predatory going on in regards to the higher end rewards.

A girl I went to school with was selling the IT works wrap. Which is basically a corset disguised as a stomach trainer that tones the abdomen :rolleyes:At one point she bought a used BMW and claimed she could afford it because of the MLM. We're in America. I'm not sure what it's like over in the UK but in America BMWs are notorious for falling apart at around 100,000 miles. Even before that point regular maintenance can be expensive and you'll pay a premium if you need parts shipped in from overseas. But hey it's all about image and perceived status. I've never understood a car as a status symbol. So other people can see you drive past them on the road for a few seconds?
The car is leased in the sellers name I believe, and is often at a very high cost. From what I’ve read, people still have to keep the car even if they stop selling whatever it is, they are stuck with this huge debt.

Reactions: 3
Whats the obsession with them posting their actual salaries on instagram? I find it so crass and tasteless and i dont believe any of it is even true.
A girl I follow on Instagram who does FM posted a screenshot that she made 40k in November

A girl I follow on Instagram who does FM posted a screenshot that she made 40k in November
As if🤦‍♀️ to make that much you'd need to be moving thousands of bottles a month. So we are expected to believe she has the space to store and time to order, receive and distribute so many bottles....all while sat on her arse choosing her own hours 🤦‍♀️ even with a good down line you couldn't sustain that every month.

Someone i knew of was a 'six figure earner' she was last seen living in a rented house after selling her house for a loss and promoting debt management and claiming benefits 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 8
Clearly sticking my head above the parapet here - I do Body Shop and really enjoy it. I have regular sales, I think people have liked the convenience of ordering from me this year than going to shops. I am not a manager, I have no team and no interest in doing so, and haven't once been pressured into any of this - if you're pressured for targets, recruits or to employ other tactics you question the morality of, then you've joined the wrong team. I have a great friendship with my upline despite not being a particularly high seller compared to others. I am not vulnerable or incapable of making the decision to join up. I haven't been taken advantage of, neither has anyone else in the team (consisting of clever, educated, smart women from all sorts of professional backgrounds who have joined for a whole variety of reasons). I have never made any earnings claims and am totally realistic that I do this for some extra money for the household while getting the items I like at a cheaper price - I'm not aiming for world domination.

However, I totally get why people avoid MLM businesses, I also get spammed regularly, mainly from Herbal Life and FM World, I hate the tactics they employ on social media, all the posting their salaries etc. Social media has unfortunately brought out the worst in these type of sales people and I would avoid them like the plague. I also don't see the craze over FM - perfume isn't a regular purchase for most people and I've had a look through their catalogue, it just looks to me like a mish mash of stuff.... perfume, make up, household cleaning products??? I mean, which market are they going for? Pick a market and try to be the best in it, not just a finger in all sorts of pies.

I fully expect to get replied to calling me some sort of bot, but I don't see why positive experiences can't be discussed.

Reactions: 18
Clearly sticking my head above the parapet here - I do Body Shop and really enjoy it. I have regular sales, I think people have liked the convenience of ordering from me this year than going to shops. I am not a manager, I have no team and no interest in doing so, and haven't once been pressured into any of this - if you're pressured for targets, recruits or to employ other tactics you question the morality of, then you've joined the wrong team. I have a great friendship with my upline despite not being a particularly high seller compared to others. I am not vulnerable or incapable of making the decision to join up. I haven't been taken advantage of, neither has anyone else in the team (consisting of clever, educated, smart women from all sorts of professional backgrounds who have joined for a whole variety of reasons). I have never made any earnings claims and am totally realistic that I do this for some extra money for the household while getting the items I like at a cheaper price - I'm not aiming for world domination.

However, I totally get why people avoid MLM businesses, I also get spammed regularly, mainly from Herbal Life and FM World, I hate the tactics they employ on social media, all the posting their salaries etc. Social media has unfortunately brought out the worst in these type of sales people and I would avoid them like the plague. I also don't see the craze over FM - perfume isn't a regular purchase for most people and I've had a look through their catalogue, it just looks to me like a mish mash of stuff.... perfume, make up, household cleaning products??? I mean, which market are they going for? Pick a market and try to be the best in it, not just a finger in all sorts of pies.

I fully expect to get replied to calling me some sort of bot, but I don't see why positive experiences can't be discussed.
I think that fair enough! Everyone’s opinions differ! But yes, I think social media has pushed this message of having it all for as little work as possible. That the issue I and a lot of people have. FM World in particular is being pushed as a get rich quick scheme which is quite predatory given the current climate.

One of my neighbours does Body Shop because she absolutely loves the stuff herself, so can indulge herself at a discount, and we're over 100 miles from the nearest store. She does pretty well at it and doesn't pressure anyone at all.

Avon and body shop I think aren’t so bad as you know the products and they’ve been around so long. I don’t like the random companies people suddenly start promoting with all the be your own boss tit. It’s predatory as someone said above.

also I realised how easy someone vulnerable or even someone bad at saying no can be conned into it. Thinking about it my main reason for not buying anything would be finances (I have no issue saying I’m broke hahaha), which then gives them the perfect in for them to latch onto you with the recruitment side. I will and would stick to my guns but I also find it hard to say no when someone is really going at you so can see how people would be talked into “starting their own business” if not buying anything. It’s quite a clever business idea really if totally immoral - shill products and then hook the ones with no money into a pyramid scheme.

Reactions: 7
Someone shared this in my insta....you have to sell an awful lot of perfume to be making £3-8k a month.
You don’t - you have people ‘below’ you (who you have recruited) who sell and you make commission off their sales, And the sales of the people THEY recruit, and so on.

Reactions: 2
Nicola Wills completely breaking COVID rules again in her IG stories.
She really gets on my nerves! Such a ‘loud’ parent with her kids. Imagine being at a baby group that she’s at; she would be trying to flog arbonne fizz sticks whilst shrieking ‘WELL DONE Minnie and Margo’

Lol PinkFigs. I agree. The way she says their names whist sort of laughing. Seems to be having another house party today.

Arbonne seem to be having a "socially distanced" party in London. Except it's not socially distanced at all. Who pays for these parties? Do attendees have to buy a ticket?

View attachment 336596
Have seen this on Instagram (someone I knew a long time ago)....what utter bullshit!
She was always the nasty one at school....so I can completely believe that she has no issue with lying to get people on board
To me this just shows how they target the vulnerable. I’m a single mother and wouldn’t expect that to have anything to do with my professional accomplishments.

Reactions: 6
Does being in an mlm and earning money (if people even do) count towards your tax? Like I thought if you're paying tax at your first job then you're deffo gonna be earning enough to include your earnings in tax? I know nothegoodgirl on YouTube, although American, got caught in this as she was in the top 1% and was never told she had to file her own taxes etc and ended up in a lot of trouble as no one would help her.

Does being in an mlm and earning money (if people even do) count towards your tax? Like I thought if you're paying tax at your first job then you're deffo gonna be earning enough to include your earnings in tax? I know nothegoodgirl on YouTube, although American, got caught in this as she was in the top 1% and was never told she had to file her own taxes etc and ended up in a lot of trouble as no one would help her.
Yeah you do a tax return as any other self-employed person does.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.