MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A family member does Herbalife she makes out shes doing really good, yeh shes lost weight but I think that's due to her relationship breakdown and starting the gym not this tit she trys to push.
She gave my 16 year old some samples and then asked me to order as she thought it would help my daughter I told her where to shove it and got my daughter eating more healthily and signed her up for the gym.
This family member makes out shes got money but the reality is shes over £4000 in debt and her child goes without pisses me right off that people can get sucked in and end up in debt and still they have there eyes wide shut.
That’s disgraceful to push it onto a 16 year old. I think any the weight loss related ones are the worst. You don’t need to take anything to lose weight ffs. We’ve got someone in our local town who keeps selling what she calls magic powder for weight loss. Absolutely no information on what it is or what’s in it and I honestly think it should be illegal!

Reactions: 7
That’s disgraceful to push it onto a 16 year old. I think any the weight loss related ones are the worst. You don’t need to take anything to lose weight ffs. We’ve got someone in our local town who keeps selling what she calls magic powder for weight loss. Absolutely no information on what it is or what’s in it and I honestly think it should be illegal!
I was horrified my daughter is easily influenced as most 16 year olds are by Instagram and Facebook we regularly have chats about how things are not all they seem as teenagers are very impressionable at that age.im glad I managed to talk her round now she can see how much this scam has ruined this family members life.i just feel sorry for the people who think they are going to benefit from it when really they dont.

Reactions: 1
A family member does Herbalife she makes out shes doing really good, yeh shes lost weight but I think that's due to her relationship breakdown and starting the gym not this tit she trys to push.
She gave my 16 year old some samples and then asked me to order as she thought it would help my daughter I told her where to shove it and got my daughter eating more healthily and signed her up for the gym.
This family member makes out shes got money but the reality is shes over £4000 in debt and her child goes without pisses me right off that people can get sucked in and end up in debt and still they have there eyes wide shut.
Herbalife is horrendous. The sellers have no morals. Trying to sell to a young impressionable 16 year old is so low. I think we can all remember how tough it was at that age. Good on you for stepping in and stopping it!

Reactions: 2
A lot of arbonne sellers on my Instagram are getting excited about a trip to the Bahamas. I would rather save up my own money to go😆 surely only the top sellers have any chance of that trip

We’ve got someone in our local town who keeps selling what she calls magic powder for weight loss. Absolutely no information on what it is or what’s in it and I honestly think it should be illegal!
👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
ngl you just gave me a business idea loool joking

I’m actually suprised how many of these companies are out there I haven’t heard of a lot of the ones you guys mention. Then again I don’t go on Facebook much these days and get the feeling that’s more where these people hang out... it does creep into IG tho for sure

• Haha
I started a new job at the start of the year. Pretty much the role I’ve been working towards all my 30 year career. At the start of lockdown there were payoffs and I was certain I’d get the chop. I didn’t and I’ve worked exceptionally hard all year to keep my foot in the door. I received an email from a senior manager the other day only it was not from him but from his wife using his email address to sell her MLM wares. Talk about being put in a bad position! I’ve ignored it in the hope that’ll be the end of it. I’ve got a policy of not buying MLM shite...now I’m feeling pressured into it.
In the past I’ve said either that unfortunately the smell doesn’t seem to last on my skin or that I already buy from my friend but if she stops selling FM you know who to contact - seems to have worked for me with no one being upset !

Reactions: 1
Whats the obsession with them posting their actual salaries on instagram? I find it so crass and tasteless and i dont believe any of it is even true.

Reactions: 13
I’ve noticed a lot of forever living sellers are now moving into being “motivational coaches”

I'm aghast at the senior managers wife using his work email address to spam people with MLM stuff. Regardless of whether it's her sending the email or him sending on her behalf it's completely unacceptable either way and in my place it would result in dismissal

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I'm aghast at the senior managers wife using his work email address to spam people with MLM stuff. Regardless of whether it's her sending the email or him sending on her behalf it's completely unacceptable either way and in my place it would result in dismissal
It shocked me. I’m there to work not be given the hard sell. I would have thought he’d have more sense. I won’t complain though, I’m betting the HR ladies didn’t receive the same email.

On a local Facebook group someone is looking for ideas fir a gift basket for her mum, emphasis on her mum not liking smellies/lotions and buying local. Scroll down and sure enough there’s a Herbalife bot posting links to her body lotions for sale.

Last edited:
View attachment 336596
Have seen this on Instagram (someone I knew a long time ago)....what utter bullshit!
She was always the nasty one at school....so I can completely believe that she has no issue with lying to get people on board
I see this tit all the time.

I have old school friends who I haven't spoken to in about 15 years messaging me telling that they're earning £20,000 a month and living the dream life as a working mum and 'you could be too'.

How can they get away with saying this? Surely none of them can be earning that kind of cash, with free trips and cars.

From what I can see, it's just bullshit to make you sign up and see if it's true (which they profit from). I don't understand how it's legal

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Whats the obsession with them posting their actual salaries on instagram? I find it so crass and tasteless and i dont believe any of it is even true.
Someone I follow made a separate page for their FM but they still post about it all the time on their main page including salaries! It's a lot, but not outrageous, and I think they've done a lot of recruting (already had a large Insta following etc) so I think their figure may be legit.

Someone I follow made a separate page for their FM but they still post about it all the time on their main page including salaries! It's a lot, but not outrageous, and I think they've done a lot of recruting (already had a large Insta following etc) so I think their figure may be legit.
Yeah I’ve got someone like that. She posted yesterday that she’s made £147. But no mention of over what time frame that is. Cos let’s face it, that’s not even enough to cover my council tax! Good on her for making some extra cash but surely they must ask themselves if it’s actually worth it?!

Reactions: 6
Nah...it’s all bullshit! These people lease a car, not own outright and rent or live in average houses, not houses you would own if you were bringing in £20k plus a month!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Nah...it’s all bullshit! These people lease a car, not own outright and rent or live in average houses, not houses you would own if you were bringing in £20k plus a month!
This exactly! The girl I know saying she’s making £100k a month...well buy a mansion then? It’s telling everything they show off can be bought on credit but you can’t buy a million pound house on credit. Says it all. I just can’t believe they don’t cringe at the lies they tell

Reactions: 9
I was going to say in most companies this would count as gross misconduct and in fact even a breach of GDPR laws as she has accessed personal data of employees for personal use and doesn’t even work there. 100% in the place I’ve just left that would leave him liable to dismissal AND possibly hefty fines if it went legal. I imagine the company would just dismiss as if it gets reported properly the company are also liable for fines? They’d want to avoid that and keep it in house if possible. Not sure how it really works in terms of getting reported for gdpr breach tho.

I’m not going to report it. His life at home might have been a misery if he hadn’t allowed his wife access to his email. It’s even possible he doesn’t know. I’ve not replied. If I get any more messages from her I’ll have a quiet word to him.

I think also that by the time they’re resorting to these tactics they realise it’s not going to be the money spinner they were sold.

I asked one of my friends who started doing one about 9 months ago if she was making any money. She said no but she only did it to help out her daughter in law who recruited her. The daughter in law should have never recruited her. My friend is recently widowed after a long period of caring for her very sick husband who she adored. She’s been bereft since she lost him. She’s also disabled herself. She has a strong persona and I love her to bits but she’s vulnerable. Her daughter in law would know all this.

• Sad
It annoys me when all of a sudden you get 10 Instagram notifications from a girl who's liked your most recent pics and then a message appears "Hi gorgeous! ❣🎀🎉✨ join my team!!!!

The only one I don't mind so much is FM, because the perfumes are actually really good. You can buy them on eBay without the hassle though

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.