MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got someone at work who was bugging me about vitamin patches. £30 for a months supply. I told her I get all the vitamins I need for less with what I pay for fruit n veg in a month. Can't believe people are taken in by this nonsense.

• Angry
Reactions: 9
People shouldn't be allowed to use work to shill stuff. Infuriating
no you’re right. A few people in my work got in trouble for it from the boss 🙊 I think it’s very unprofessional (unless they actually are creative and have their own genuine little business).

Reactions: 7
Got someone at work who was bugging me about vitamin patches. £30 for a months supply. I told her I get all the vitamins I need for less with what I pay for fruit n veg in a month. Can't believe people are taken in by this nonsense.
that's basically what they rely on isn't it? trying to embarass people into buying stuff/sign up. The girl I know who does MLM acts as if she is a minor celebrity with hundreds of thousands of followers judging by her contant FB/instagram stories, it is so cringe

• Haha
no you’re right. A few people in my work got in trouble for it from the boss 🙊 I think it’s very unprofessional (unless they actually are creative and have their own genuine little business).
Personally I think it should all be banned as it would be too hard to control then, the MLM seller will wonder why they can't as in their eyes it's a genuine business (even though we all know it's not). I am still annoyed at my sister buying those perfumes.

People are in work to work and get paid, not be potential customers.

Reactions: 5
Personally I think it should all be banned as it would be too hard to control then, the MLM seller will wonder why they can't as in their eyes it's a genuine business (even though we all know it's not). I am still annoyed at my sister buying those perfumes.

yeh surely if you are selling stuff at work this just clearly indicates you are not doing the job you are paid for?

• Haha
Oh god I was getting my hair done the other day and proper stuck my foot in it. My hairdresser was making small talk about having the wear face masks and I said I have been getting bad skin from wearing one all the time. She then started going on about how she's been using this Tropic product and it's amazing giving me this full on spiel and the other hairdresser picked up on the conversation and came over and started going on about it too, they took their masks off to show me how 'good' their skin was :rolleyes: (in my defence to not picking up straight away where this was going I was tired as it was a 8am appointment and I hadn't slept great the night before)

I said something like 'ah yeah I've heard good things about the product but I just don't like the pyramid scheme business model so I would never buy any of it as I don't support MLMs' they both went silent and I was like ohhhhh tit 😂 then they were telling me they signed up during lockdown and one of them had recruited the other and it's not a pyramid scheme blah blah blah, my actual hairdresser was trying to breeze over it and saying she just really likes the products and the other one was just giving me daggers 😂 I was just like why did I have to open my big (masked) mouth 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
People shouldn’t be using their work place to hassle their colleagues into buying their products that’s morally wrong , would maybe be a good idea for employers to look at their codes of practice to stop people doing this. We all go to work to get paid not be embarrassed into buying products we don’t need .

Reactions: 8

Someone I worked with made her own pottery, it was beautiful she did it as a hobby and people liked it so much they asked her if they could make them some for Christmas gifts for a cost. Didn’t interfere in her work and she wasn’t looking for potential customers. She was flattered really. That’s who I have in mind when I think creative people who have a side hobby 🙂 I shouldn’t have said small business really (don’t work with anyone who has their own small business anyway).

And not people going round asking you to buy a raffle ticket for their MLM raffle in work hours or tagging you on a Facebook post to give money and buy something from their MLM which I found the height of rude and actually embarrassing.

I genuinely think there are so many people not clued up on MLMs it wasn’t until I watched videos on YouTube that I knew how bad they were.

Reactions: 9
That's really sweet that people loved her stuff and asked her to make some as gifts. Unlike some MLM boss lady pushing crappy perfumes during idle chit chat about Christmas presents.

People shouldn’t be using their work place to hassle their colleagues into buying their products that’s morally wrong , would maybe be a good idea for employers to look at their codes of practice to stop people doing this. We all go to work to get paid not be embarrassed into buying products we don’t need .
Exactly. It's specifically in my contract that using working hours and colleagues to solicit for business is gross misconduct.

Reactions: 4
Yes a sideline that’s not an MLM is ok, but it’s where to draw the line. I worked with someone who made the most beautiful bespoke themed celebration cakes for colleagues for £30 each. Going to a company would cost upwards of £80. She is so talented, it felt like you were scamming her by paying just £30!

Reactions: 8
In a different job years ago I had a colleague who made cakes, to be honest they were awful, not the cakes themselves but the decoration. However people felt obliged to ask her to do cakes for occasions and stuff. That's the tricky side of it.

• Haha
In a different job years ago I had a colleague who made cakes, to be honest they were awful, not the cakes themselves but the decoration. However people felt obliged to ask her to do cakes for occasions and stuff. That's the tricky side of it.
likewise a colleague who used to bring in homemade fudge...it was disgusting... she wasn’t selling it though :D

• Haha
Reactions: 6
it just occurred to me what this reminded me of, I don't know if anyone watched Peep Show (if not you should, is great) there is a very similar scene in it

• Haha
it just occurred to me what this reminded me of, I don't know if anyone watched Peep Show (if not you should, is great) there is a very similar scene in it

Yes I absolutely love this scene! 😂

• Haha
I spoke to girl on Instagram who said she wanted to visit Japan and saw that is been and wanted some tips and recommendations. Anyway, I thought it was nice to be able to talk about something I’m passionate about with someone....but after a week or so, I received the MLM talk. She’s an ‘independent travel consultant’. Does anyone know how they make money with this one as I’ve had a few messages regarding this particular MLM

Hannah gallagher on Instagram shes the worst.. up high in valentus and i was very nearly drawn into her little scheme until she told me i needed to sell coffee and she still never even told me the name of the mlm... so glad i knew i could never sell coffee hahahahha hahaha

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.