MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went to a DoTerra gathering at a friend's house not realising what it was. Some of the claims were astounding. There was mention of cancer. Not curing but not far off. These people have no knowledge or expertise on what they sell. Case in point: Nicola Wills posting on IG about her top 5 products. I'm into skincare and have done a fair amount of research. It was actually so cringe to watch.

Just checked. The travel consultancy I used isn't listed. Phew.
I can’t bear Nicola Wills’ voice. So annoying!

Love this thread, I find the whole MLM thing fascinating!

I remember attending Pampered Chef and Partylite parties a good few years back, they did the rounds in my extended friendship groups. A couple of people did sign up to become consultants, nothing really came from it though.... well, let’s just say none of them are millionaires 😂

I don’t think Pampered Chef exists any more in the UK? I actually liked their stuff but it was soooo expensive! Same for Partylite, the candles themselves were nice but the holders were scary expensive.

I remember Body Shop parties too. Always got sucked into buying stuff even though I knew it would be cheaper in the actual shop 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Love this thread, I find the whole MLM thing fascinating!

I remember attending Pampered Chef and Partylite parties a good few years back, they did the rounds in my extended friendship groups. A couple of people did sign up to become consultants, nothing really came from it though.... well, let’s just say none of them are millionaires 😂

I don’t think Pampered Chef exists any more in the UK? I actually liked their stuff but it was soooo expensive! Same for Partylite, the candles themselves were nice but the holders were scary expensive.

I remember Body Shop parties too. Always got sucked into buying stuff even though I knew it would be cheaper in the actual shop 🤦‍♀️
I’ve recently been to a Body Shop ‘party’. I can’t believe they tout it as a party as it is so clearly a sales pitch from the second you arrive 😂 So much pressure to buy though! I bought some Hemp hand cream as I do actually use that, especially now

Reactions: 4
A woman I know was posting stories about how great it is to run your own business and choose when you work and be a boss lady.... while she was in hospital giving birth. Says it all.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Anybody watch the documentary that was on iplayer about MLMs? It was quite good. Was a while ago so don't know if its still available

Reactions: 3
Yes! I’m pretty sure it’s still on there! It says it all really!
Oh cool I found it really interesting, might watch it again today!

Came on to say I know someone quite high up in Body Shop. Not at the moment obviously but she goes on tons of free holidays every year and talks about getting 20k bonuses. I just don’t understand where all the money comes from. She said she only joined to get the products in the starter pack to give as gifts then just kept getting promoted and she’s now given up her actual job because she’s making so much money from it. I wouldn’t sign up in a million years, she must just have been incredibly lucky I guess.

• Wow
Reactions: 2

Came on to say I know someone quite high up in Body Shop. Not at the moment obviously but she goes on tons of free holidays every year and talks about getting 20k bonuses. I just don’t understand where all the money comes from. She said she only joined to get the products in the starter pack to give as gifts then just kept getting promoted and she’s now given up her actual job because she’s making so much money from it. I wouldn’t sign up in a million years, she must just have been incredibly lucky I guess.
She will have just been really good at recruiting new people to it. So she’s probably got loads of down lines, and that’s where the money will be coming from. She will take a certain percentage of whatever they sell. Plus what she herself sells, but from what I hear the big money is made from recruiting and from your down lines.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but kiki Chanel does some good anti-MLM vids if you want to see some of the fuckery the hunbots spout. John Oliver did a good segment on mlms on last week tonight, too if you can find it on youtube.

Reactions: 2

A friend of a friend does Body Shop and i presume they have plenty of people in her team as she says she makes 20k per month. I really cant see that somehow.

Reactions: 1
Someone on my IG said she made £100k last month 🙄

Edit - doing FM
There is honestly no way that’s true. At all. How do they think that’s believable 😂😂😂 Honestly, if it was that easy to make that kind of money with an MLM scheme, we would all be doing it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
There is honestly no way that’s true. At all. How do they think that’s believable 😂😂😂 Honestly, if it was that easy to make that kind of money with an MLM scheme, we would all be doing it.
Exactly...if it was that easy to make money every company would be an mlm 🤣

Here's a question, how does it work signing up to an MLM when you're on maternity leave? There's a particular influencer selling FM who's on maternity leave & I know a few in the 'real world' doing the same. Is that even allowed? I was always under the impression that when you were on maternity leave you couldn't earn elsewhere but happy to be corrected!

Here's a question, how does it work signing up to an MLM when you're on maternity leave? There's a particular influencer selling FM who's on maternity leave & I know a few in the 'real world' doing the same. Is that even allowed? I was always under the impression that when you were on maternity leave you couldn't earn elsewhere but happy to be corrected!
That’s an interesting point actually. I have a friend doing Body Shop At Home while on maternity. I don’t think she’s actively doing it as I’ve not seen any posts but she’s definitely signed up since being on maternity. I’m guess it is allowed but I’d be interested in hearing from someone who knows more.

I’ve just read this https://www.workingmums.co.uk/doing-a-second-job-on-maternity-leave-ask-the-expert/

but as an MLM seller, I think you’d be classed as self employed? So I don’t think it would actually effect their maternity pay from their main employer and their entitlement to smp. Could be wrong but that’s what how I’ve read it. It’s only if you take on another job with an employer that it would be affected. I think? I think if your company pays their own maternity pay too, it would depend on what their terms and conditions are and how strict they are as that will vary from company to company.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It's a house of cards though isn't it? In a normal job, you get to a certain level of earnings and can usually stay there for a while. In an MLM, some people might make money from recruiting, but those recruits will leave at some point. Then you run out of new recruits, though if you fake it that you're still doing well, some people might fall for it and sign up.

It must be be exhausting. I'll keep my sick pay, pension, paternal leave entitlement and 9-5 thanks.

Reactions: 8
It's a house of cards though isn't it? In a normal job, you get to a certain level of earnings and can usually stay there for a while. In an MLM, some people might make money from recruiting, but those recruits will leave at some point. Then you run out of new recruits, though if you fake it that you're still doing well, some people might fall for it and sign up.

It must be be exhausting. I'll keep my sick pay, pension, paternal leave entitlement and 9-5 thanks.
Exactly. I feel like people will only be successful if they have a huge social media following and an endless pool of people to recruit

Reactions: 5
I've just had some FM perfume from my next door neighbor. I felt kind of pressured but thought I'd treat myself as I've not had perfume in ages. I've had the one that smells like Coco madmoiselle. It does smell like CM but it doesn't last at all. Id be happier to pay for the real stuff and it last to be honest.

This girl I follow who has about 30k followers from fitness posted something about the secret / law of attraction hahhaa and I was just thinking to myself how all these MLM people spout that stuff. Only clicked 2 slides later and she is posting with that nu:skin stuff and the face cleanser thing tayla blue always uses. The lumi? Made me laugh so much!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.