MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate that they call it a job and I don't think they can legally as it isn't one? I used to work in advertising sales years ago and MLMs were under no circumstances allowed to go in To recruitment, they had to be under the business opportunities category as that's what they are! Calling it a job is so misleading and implies a wage when it's actually a commission!

So glad I found this thread, mlms have kind of become my obsession. Just wanted to share some of the stuff I really hate, this was the story on a home/interior design account with 15k followers. Don’t know how they sleep

Reactions: 10
I hate that they call it a job and I don't think they can legally as it isn't one? I used to work in advertising sales years ago and MLMs were under no circumstances allowed to go in To recruitment, they had to be under the business opportunities category as that's what they are! Calling it a job is so misleading and implies a wage when it's actually a commission!
That’s a good point, I know they’re legally not allowed to make income claims (at least in the US, I’m not sure if it’s illegal in the UK but defo mlms based in America follow those rules) hence why it’s always ‘three times my full time wage!’ and never an actual amount.

All these ‘10k clubs’ etc are a load of crap as well, it’ll be like 10k worth of sales from themselves and their whole down lines, of which they’ll get a tiny percentage. They know people see ‘10k’ ‘millionaires’ and assume that’s how much they’ve made.

Reactions: 6
It’s all so hush hush that I find it amazing these ‘businesses’ aren’t called out more often. One of colleagues does FM and she claimed this Christmas was the first Christmas that she’s not had to worry about money. Great if true, but I highly doubt it’s true, and she works with me at the local supermarket so business can’t be that great really can it? It makes me so mad!

Saw a 16 year old on a local site asking for any info on any local jobs today. Then FM woman pipes up ‘I may have something for you hun, PM me hun’.
leave the poor girl alone to get some actual work experience!

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Saw a 16 year old on a local site asking for any info on any local jobs today. Then FM woman pipes up ‘I may have something for you hun, PM me hun’.
I don't get how the hell MLMs can be legal when they are exactly the same as a pyramid scheme, I guess the world is dealing with bigger issues than banning them atm

Reactions: 9
She once said her bank balance looked like a phone number 😯 so I'm guessing she's not short of a bob or two
I saw her eldest son's bank statement once that she shared online, in some areas it could buy a small terraced house. So obviously doing well financially.

What confused me the other day about her success claims was that she said she'd bought her house (the one she is in now), but when she moved in, it was showing as rental property and not for sale. People commented when she originally moved in asking if she bought the house, but she never replied. Now she claims she bought it but land registry shows it hasn't been sold for years and as far as I can tell she's never done any work to it, it's all pretty much the same (whi h would indicate rental). I just think that's a bit odd. Maybe she did buy it or maybe she's lying to look more successful.

Most people I see call themselves CEO or business owner. I know technically some are if they've set up a business and registered with Companies House (or equivilant). Some are obviously self employed and some under the radar tax dodgers.

I know someone who used to work for a particular MLM, she had a few people interested in joining her team, she did a introduction web call with her upline and when someone asked how to register to be self-employed and it affecting her tax credits, the upline told them not to declare the earnings. 😳 My friend was mortified as she is above board with her earnings and declares everything, it put the new recruits off signing up (probably because it made that MLM company seem really dodgy).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
This happens on my local one too. Disgusting behaviour and so predatory.

• Angry
Reactions: 4
I don't get how the hell MLMs can be legal when they are exactly the same as a pyramid scheme, I guess the world is dealing with bigger issues than banning them atm
If there is viable products to sell, this means they aren’t a pyramid. I get the frustrations, I really do. MLM’s shouldn’t be making mad claims on income as not many reach the dizzy heights of bank balances that look like phone numbers. I do alright in it. I’d never leave my full time job for it.

It’s all money in the pot for the nicer things like holidays although it has been a godsend for my family due to my mum firstly being put on furlough and losing her job (she lives with me). So that additional £600 or so a month has kinda been life changing for us as a family albeit it’s not a crazy amount.

I don’t personally think there’s anything wrong with saying a MLM can help you out financially but it is totally wrong to say it’s the answer to your prayers. Also a lot of MLM’s aren’t free to join so that is wrong. Mine is so I guess you could say it’s risk averse and as long as you’re not telling prospects they’re are going to be the next Estée Lauder billionaire, it should be taken as just a nice wee side gig.

If there is viable products to sell, this means they aren’t a pyramid. I get the frustrations, I really do. MLM’s shouldn’t be making mad claims on income as not many reach the dizzy heights of bank balances that look like phone numbers. I do alright in it. I’d never leave my full time job for it.

It’s all money in the pot for the nicer things like holidays although it has been a godsend for my family due to my mum firstly being put on furlough and losing her job (she lives with me). So that additional £600 or so a month has kinda been life changing for us as a family albeit it’s not a crazy amount.

I don’t personally think there’s anything wrong with saying a MLM can help you out financially but it is totally wrong to say it’s the answer to your prayers. Also a lot of MLM’s aren’t free to join so that is wrong. Mine is so I guess you could say it’s risk averse and as long as you’re not telling prospects they’re are going to be the next Estée Lauder billionaire, it should be taken as just a nice wee side gig.
This is what I have no issue with. I don’t have a problem with people making a bit of extra cash cos god knows we all need it. It’s when sellers claim that people will be making thousands in their first month that I have an issue.

This is what I have no issue with. I don’t have a problem with people making a bit of extra cash cos god knows we all need it. It’s when sellers claim that people will be making thousands in their first month that I have an issue. I guess I would say it’s the recruitment side that I find abhorrent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
This has got to be the best one yet for the mystery weight loss coffee. Results so good they’ll turn you into a cartoon, those were the only pics attached 🤣

D02210F1-9C83-4B57-81A1-5EFA58E3E54E.jpeg
36779FA3-F146-473D-B42B-8E7A7B0AA4F9.jpeg

• Haha
It’s having all their downlines comment as if they’re actual customers/potential customers for me. Cracks me up!

As I’ve said a few times on here I know someone seemingly doing very well with FM but even if that’s true I just can’t understand how she can justify making money off vulnerable people. Apparently she has 6000 downlines, there is no way they’re all making loads of money and living the Instagram high life. Just can’t believe they’re allowed to absolve themselves of all responsibility for the working conditions of the supply chain below them?! And to rub more salt in the wounds they actually market it as women supporting women??

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Someone on my Facebook did her recruitment post for FM and all the comments were from her up lines/down lines about how much money they’d made in the last week. Now I’m aware of all the tactics, it’s laughable! Also, what other job do you post your earnings on Facebook for?

This has got to be the best one yet for the mystery weight loss coffee. Results so good they’ll turn you into a cartoon, those were the only pics attached 🤣

View attachment 376060View attachment 376059
Not sure if this is Valentus or another weight loss coffee, but there's some rules behind Valentus. Apparently it's not approved as a weight loss coffee, so their products won't have this printed on them and instead have the words weight management. The reps also aren't supposed to mention weightloss in their ads only weight management. They're also not supposed to put before and after photos in their post, because that implies weight loss too. They all seem to post the before photo in the actual main post, and the after in the comments, which surely is against advertisement rules too. They've probably posted their after photo in the comments.

It’s having all their downlines comment as if they’re actual customers/potential customers for me. Cracks me up!
Apparently they have team groups and warn each other when they're going to post so their team members know when to comment. The worst, most unprofessional and embarrassing comments are when people comment saying 'send me more info' in order to join and then when you click on their comment they're already selling the product themselves.

• Haha
  • Wow
Yeah I definitely don’t think they are allowed to make any weight loss claims or allude to it. I remember something about it a few years back when all the influencers were shilling weight loss teas and shakes.

Reactions: 1
I don't know if anyone has seen this
but it's an interesting video on MLMs

• Heart
There seems to be a new MLM on the block called ‘the freedom movement’ apparently it’s the top selling skin care in 150 countries and its coming over to the UK in the next few weeks and also been voted best place to work for last 4 years . I’m a community nurse and one of the patients daughters has already tried to recruit me as one of her huns!

• Haha
There seems to be a new MLM on the block called ‘the freedom movement’ apparently it’s the top selling skin care in 150 countries and its coming over to the UK in the next few weeks and also been voted best place to work for last 4 years . I’m a community nurse and one of the patients daughters has already tried to recruit me as one of her huns!
who the hell has voted it that, and on what grounds!?

Reactions: 3
who the hell has voted it that, and on what grounds!?
No idea which country the company was voted best place to work, this company is being cottoned onto by all the usual suspect huns and is currently all over Facebook saying all will be revealed end of January but they are all trying to recruit and as usual all their up line are commenting ‘ count me in’ ‘ tell me more’ ‘ sounds amazing ‘ x

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.