MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One of my partners friends wives is doing FM and is on target to get a car, what's the deal with that? Do the MLM businesses genuinely hand over a car? I'd ask her but worried she would convince me to be part of her team

• Haha
Reactions: 4
You're kidding! How can that be seen as an incentive?
I have no personal experience of it but learned that from reading MLM threads on another forum.

edit: the link in the post above explains it better.

I believe they also pay for their own foreign trips to the MLM conferences, usually at luxury resorts.

Reactions: 4
I just watched a Documentary on BBC3 from last year called Secrets of the Multi-Level Millionaires. So interesting the tactics, so shameful how people think this is acceptable is crazy....

Reactions: 5
My friend who does Avon isn’t pushy at all, didn’t even mention she did Avon till I saw she posted a advert for hand gel On Facebook.
That’s absolutely it! I’ve never known an Avon seller to be pushy. I know you can buy Avon online but it just doesn’t seem to have taken off online like other MLMs.

One of my partners friends wives is doing FM and is on target to get a car, what's the deal with that? Do the MLM businesses genuinely hand over a car? I'd ask her but worried she would convince me to be part of her team
If it’s like Arbonne, you get the car and have to pay for it. It’s financed to you. And will have FM World printed all over it. So basically even if she stopped selling FM world, she would be stuck with an expensive car. I’d honestly just say to them that if they need/want a car, they should just shop around. They would definitely get a better deal from a local dealer.

Last edited:
I really want to sign up to FM, but I hate the fact that it's an MLM which I have such negative opinions of! The only reason I want to sign up though is so that I can buy the products at cost price for myself & hubby. Has anyone ever done this or know of any reviews from someone who sold FM & no longer does? All I hear is 'hun, there's no targets to meet' 'hun, its changed my life' blah blah when all I want is a few products I like on the cheap!

Reactions: 2
I really want to sign up to FM, but I hate the fact that it's an MLM which I have such negative opinions of! The only reason I want to sign up though is so that I can buy the products at cost price for myself & hubby. Has anyone ever done this or know of any reviews from someone who sold FM & no longer does? All I hear is 'hun, there's no targets to meet' 'hun, its changed my life' blah blah when all I want is a few products I like on the cheap!
I’d do that. As far as I know, there is no sign up fee, and they genuinely aren’t any targets that you have to hit. Only thing I’m unsure of is how the up line business works with them. My colleague is a ‘team leader’ of 6, so I assumed that means she has 6 down lines? Anyway, that’s irrelevant if you’re not signing up to sell, just don’t pay attention to them 😂

I don’t know how much ‘cost price’ is but you can buy FM perfumes on Amazon

25 years ago I was a student nurse and one of our set convinced us to go to a meeting at her flat which turned out to be an Amway pitch . Apart from the two sleazy salesmen doing the pitch who mocked people with degrees ( guess what our nursing course was..) instead of getting into building your own business, I was ppalled that our friend had bounced us into this . It turned out her parents were both Amway fanatics and had pushed her into doing it ..she apologised later...and I think her parents went bankrupt .

Reactions: 1
I watched one of the beginswithyou interview videos and was a bit amazed at how in their own world these people can be. I think the girl chatting is married to a sportsman of some sort and was saying how she was working in teaching for a wage her old M&S colleagues would laugh at and was just doing it for the sake of it, just for a bit of extra money

so tone deaf it hurts especially as she was saying it in a way of “this is where I was before, stuck in this dead end, LOOK AT ME NOW” - most people do these jobs and struggle on those wages,they don’t feel hard done by because they have a good job and only have to do it “for a bit of extra money”. Oh poor me I had no passion for my job and was only doing it for some extra money.
duck can I do that pls?? Lol
after reading here I looked them up and its so cult like..they all say the same, it’s like The Secret got in all of their heads. what I don’t understand is that they all claim to be business owners, but they are one big team, what’s that all about? And they don’t even own their business, the MLM company does. I find it laughable that they all call each other “inspiring“ and they all have a rags to riches story. Why do people fall for this and not see it for what it is, a scam!
I wonder if they are earning what some of them hint to be. Ones even mentioning becoming a millionaire?! if that’s the case I’m in the wrong career!

after reading here I looked them up and its so cult like..they all say the same, it’s like The Secret got in all of their heads. what I don’t understand is that they all claim to be business owners, but they are one big team, what’s that all about? And they don’t even own their business, the MLM company does. I find it laughable that they all call each other “inspiring“ and they all have a rags to riches story. Why do people fall for this and not see it for what it is, a scam!
I wonder if they are earning what some of them hint to be. Ones even mentioning becoming a millionaire?! if that’s the case I’m in the wrong career!
That’s what I don’t understand, it’s literally like a cult. And I cannot stand when they say they own their own business. You don’t, you work essentially as a sales person within a bigger business, just without a set wage. Why is that something to brag about

Reactions: 8
I have a MLM hun I know. She’s posted today to say this

“If you’re working from home still getting paid, or you’re going to work and you’re still getting paid, or if you’re furloughed and you’re at home thinking of things to do... have a thought for those who aren’t earning and do what you can to help them”

Coming from someone who constantly boasts she “works from her phone, sets Her own hours, doesn’t have a boss to answer to” I find this ironic. Suddenly working for yourself is not the dream you made it out to be?!

Reactions: 13

“If you’re working from home still getting paid, or you’re going to work and you’re still getting paid, or if you’re furloughed and you’re at home thinking of things to do... have a thought for those who aren’t earning and do what you can to help them”

Coming from someone who constantly boasts she “works from her phone, sets Her own hours, doesn’t have a boss to answer to” I find this ironic. Suddenly working for yourself is not the dream you made it out to be?!
Ahh yes but you know what is coming next..she is “helping” those people by recruiting them to her “business”. They all say it “I just want to help so many people to succeed” when what they actually mean is “I just want to recruit them and line my own pocket by taking a percentage of their earnings”

Reactions: 8

Oh brilliant, guilt tripping people! Perfect sales technique

Reactions: 1
While I do sympathise with anyone in in difficult financial situation, I do also agree with some of the other posters that it’s likely just a recruitment tactic. Which I find very sad.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.