MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is that so they get to be at the top of a line and earn more money???
I think so as it’s new to Australia so there are obviously going to be less sellers to begin with...however if the U.K. is anything to go by, the market will be saturated pretty quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend any good anti MLM bloggers such as Elle Beau? Much prefer reading than listening to youtube videos!

Not sure if this channel has already been posted yet, but its really good:

Reactions: 2
I actually have to say I’m sad to say this Cos i only recently started properly watching tayla blue and i like how down to earth she is on stories or seems to be - but the other day she was posting about effin tan as if it was just a product she likes to use (she literally said “if u don’t know about Effin tan you must have been under a rock, I think it’s the only tan to have gone viral ever”) yet it’s made by Effin hair of which she is listed as a company director?
Yeah sad to say it but I didn’t like that. The stories honestly came across like she was so excited to receive her order and I mean you wouldn’t talk about your own product like that going viral would you? Just found it a little dishonest and it does sadden me as I like how relatable she seems otherwise (well apart from her clearly massive income LOL)
I used to follow Tayla years ago, then followed EffinHair and eventually unfollowed Tayla. I knew they’re really good friends, I didn’t realise Tayla is a company director though!

However I will say Effin Tan really is the best tan I’ve used (no links to Tayla or Effin here haha)

Anyone know anything about Epic Trading? A colleague has quit her job to do this full time. Comes across as a MLM for dodgy trading to me, she’s always recruiting?

I watched one of the beginswithyou interview videos and was a bit amazed at how in their own world these people can be. I think the girl chatting is married to a sportsman of some sort and was saying how she was working in teaching for a wage her old M&S colleagues would laugh at and was just doing it for the sake of it, just for a bit of extra money

so tone deaf it hurts especially as she was saying it in a way of “this is where I was before, stuck in this dead end, LOOK AT ME NOW” - most people do these jobs and struggle on those wages,they don’t feel hard done by because they have a good job and only have to do it “for a bit of extra money”. Oh poor me I had no passion for my job and was only doing it for some extra money.
duck can I do that pls?? Lol

• Wow
I have a very dear friend who’s a mum of 3 small kids
her fella does work but she felt trapped at home with them and wanted to earn a bit of pocket money to treat them
so she started up with body shop at home-endless spamming on fb (oddly no mention of body shop in the group name)
she is spamming my feed with how amazing they are,how well she’s doing and how she’s at home ‘making memories’
thing is-if I go to work,on my lunch break I can pop 3 shops down and go in the body shop-and buy any buy 3 for 2 offers they have on,and put them in my bag to take home rather than wait two weeks for my hand cream or shampoo
i know she’s sold enough ‘pity buys’ from her mum & sister and it’s drying up
shes out of pocket and not really bringing any spare cash in
in a ‘normal‘ job she wouldn’t have had to buy any stock and would be on min wage-in doing this she’s losing money

im praying she gives up soon-I really like her but I can’t buy anything from her as it’ll just drag it further and she’ll lose more money

some people (the ones at the top) I wonder how the hell they sleep on a night

Reactions: 11
I watched one of the beginswithyou interview videos and was a bit amazed at how in their own world these people can be. I think the girl chatting is married to a sportsman of some sort and was saying how she was working in teaching for a wage her old M&S colleagues would laugh at and was just doing it for the sake of it, just for a bit of extra money

so tone deaf it hurts especially as she was saying it in a way of “this is where I was before, stuck in this dead end, LOOK AT ME NOW” - most people do these jobs and struggle on those wages,they don’t feel hard done by because they have a good job and only have to do it “for a bit of extra money”. Oh poor me I had no passion for my job and was only doing it for some extra money.
duck can I do that pls?? Lol
Omg that’s what gets me too. I work in a supermarket, and yes, I do struggle, particularly at the moment with Christmas coming. But I still wouldn’t be tempted to do an MLM. My job is secure, which is amazing especially at the moment, and I have a steady wage, even though it’s not as much as I’d like. But I work hard, and I can get by, even though the end of the month might be a bit tight. I hate that MLM huns think that an MLM would help this situation, when in fact it would probably do the opposite.

I have a very dear friend who’s a mum of 3 small kids
her fella does work but she felt trapped at home with them and wanted to earn a bit of pocket money to treat them
so she started up with body shop at home-endless spamming on fb (oddly no mention of body shop in the group name)
she is spamming my feed with how amazing they are,how well she’s doing and how she’s at home ‘making memories’
thing is-if I go to work,on my lunch break I can pop 3 shops down and go in the body shop-and buy any buy 3 for 2 offers they have on,and put them in my bag to take home rather than wait two weeks for my hand cream or shampoo
i know she’s sold enough ‘pity buys’ from her mum & sister and it’s drying up
shes out of pocket and not really bringing any spare cash in
in a ‘normal‘ job she wouldn’t have had to buy any stock and would be on min wage-in doing this she’s losing money

im praying she gives up soon-I really like her but I can’t buy anything from her as it’ll just drag it further and she’ll lose more money

some people (the ones at the top) I wonder how the hell they sleep on a night
I have a friend in a similar situation with Body Shop. I’ve bought some hand cream from her on occasion, but like you said, I can buy it in the shop and not have to wait nearly a month. I try and be nice when she asks, and thankfully she isn’t overly pushy, but I don’t want to support her in it. Sounds harsh but I feel like if I and others support her ‘business’ she will get sucked in further and I just don’t want that to happen to her. She’s on maternity leave at the moment and due back in January, she works with me, so at least she’s getting that, I just hope she doesn’t stick with BSAH for too long

Last edited:
A girl I follow (partly cos she’s local, partly cos I like to see what MLM nonsense she posts) has had a delivery of the Christmas fizz sticks today. She’s Arbonne, and appears to be quite high up as she does it full time and has just bought a new house. She’s always shilling these fizz sticks. I wonder if they are Arbonne’s best seller or something. Or are cheap so easy to make a profit on?
The other night she dressed up in a dress, and some Jimmy Choos (she always has to tag designer brands!) just to have a team call in the lounge. I get wanting to look nice, but just do your makeup and put in a nice top 😂😂

Reactions: 5
Another colleague of mine’s mother started doing Body Shop At Home about a year ago, so went to her first ‘party’ which was held at my colleagues flat. It was a fun night with friends but it was very clear that you were there to be sold to. It was a sales pitch. I felt under pressure to buy something and I’m sure some of the others did too. Body Shop isn’t cheap! The mothers up line was there too ‘coaching’ her and that was too much, she claimed she was making £4000 a month. Can’t see that myself, although if she got loads of down lines then maybe. I listened in when she was talking to my friends mum and she said in order to do ‘party games’, she should be spending her commission on pass the parcel prizes etc. Baring in mind the commission she would be getting would have been very minimal, that seems harsh.
Anyway, fast forward a few month and my colleague was now on maternity leave. And suddenly has also joined Body Shop At Home. Turns out her own mother had recruited her! Disgraceful 😂😂😂 She hasn’t posted on her group in a long time so I’m assuming she’s stopped already. It’s just seems a very predatory set up. Getting young women to your sales pitch under the guise of a party. Recruiting young pregnant women.
Anyone remember Anne summers parties and Avon? Were they the first of this kind of set up? Reading that it seems like that's exactly what they were /are.

Reactions: 6
Anyone remember Anne summers parties and Avon? Were they the first of this kind of set up? Reading that it seems like that's exactly what they were /are.
Yeah they were and still are! But I think a lot of the newer ones are a lot more intense because they rely on social media and not the ‘party’ set up of Body Shop/Ann Summers/Avon. Does anyone remember Virgin Vie? I went to a party at my neighbours with my mum when I was about 10. I remember even thinking it was odd back then 😂

Reactions: 9
Yeah they were and still are! But I think a lot of the newer ones are a lot more intense because they rely on social media and not the ‘party’ set up of Body Shop/Ann Summers/Avon. Does anyone remember Virgin Vie? I went to a party at my neighbours with my mum when I was about 10. I remember even thinking it was odd back then 😂
Virgin Vie had lovely jewellery, i worked in a call centre years ago and a rep worked there, i remember at first i was buying loads of it from her then i decided to look on ebay as it was so pricey, there was so much unsold rep stock for sale at great prices i never bought fromy poor colleague again 🙈🤣

Edited to add i just looked on ebay - still loads on there but definitely "of its time"

Reactions: 4
Virgin Vie had lovely jewellery, i worked in a call centre years ago and a rep worked there, i remember at first i was buying loads of it from her then i decided to look on ebay as it was so pricey, there was so much unsold rep stock for sale at great prices i never bought fromy poor colleague again 🙈🤣

Edited to add i just looked on ebay - still loads on there but definitely "of its time"
I seem to remember Virgin Vie was decent quality stuff. Obviously I was only young but from what I remember it was all quite nice. Avon is alright but I find they do sell tacky stuff

I went to a few virgin vie party’s with my mum lol also Jamie Oliver at home. We always bought the cheapest thing lol
I loved the tumberwear party’s lol

my friend started doing Avon at the start of lockdown n I’ve ordered more than I wouldnormally. Had another friend who was sellin make up can’t remember what Brand but wasn’t cheap! Was doing live videos for about 2 weeks then nothing sothat never worked out

When I was a kid Avon was big and Ann summers parties became a thing when I was in my teens. I also remember when I was a kid my mum went to Tupperware parties what was that about! Was it a front for Ann summers stuff LOL I don’t understand how they had them for plastic boxes but it was the early 90s. And I don’t remember people talking about being pressured into joining just buying products sometimes maybe

Reactions: 7
Virgin Vie had a great all in one foundation that I used for years. There was a shop in Glasgow’s Buchanan Galleries. I used to buy it there after first getting it at parties.

Reactions: 1
I think the MLM model has just changed with the times. Back in the 90s/early 2000s social media, heck, even the internet wasn’t widely used as it is today, so everything was reliant on the face to face interaction, hence the catalogues and parties. That pressure selling would also have been harder face to face, as that would have taken so much more time. Plus you’d have pretty much been selling to people you had some kind of relationship with, whether that was family or neighbours or whatever.
fast forward to now, MLM sellers can contact potentially hundreds of people a day through various social media platforms. They can contact total strangers and side into their DMs with the ‘hey girl’ patter.
I don’t know about you guys but I’ve never seen an Avon lady claim to own her own business 😂 Only the other day I got a leaflet from our local Avon lady asking us to contact her if we want any products. No pressure selling, no trying to recruit me. That to me is respectful, and I don’t begrudge her trying to make a bit of extra cash in this uncertain time.

I think the MLM model has just changed with the times. Back in the 90s/early 2000s social media, heck, even the internet wasn’t widely used as it is today, so everything was reliant on the face to face interaction, hence the catalogues and parties. That pressure selling would also have been harder face to face, as that would have taken so much more time. Plus you’d have pretty much been selling to people you had some kind of relationship with, whether that was family or neighbours or whatever.
fast forward to now, MLM sellers can contact potentially hundreds of people a day through various social media platforms. They can contact total strangers and side into their DMs with the ‘hey girl’ patter.
I don’t know about you guys but I’ve never seen an Avon lady claim to own her own business 😂 Only the other day I got a leaflet from our local Avon lady asking us to contact her if we want any products. No pressure selling, no trying to recruit me. That to me is respectful, and I don’t begrudge her trying to make a bit of extra cash in this uncertain time.
My friend who does Avon isn’t pushy at all, didn’t even mention she did Avon till I saw she posted a advert for hand gel On Facebook.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.