MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This was a good documentary on Lularoe:

I never understood why that one was popular though...you actually had to buy the products upfront before you sold them...plus they're not even nice. Looks like stuff they'd wear on Disney Channel.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
This was a good documentary on Lularoe:

I never understood why that one was popular though...you actually had to buy the products upfront before you sold them...plus they're not even nice. Looks like stuff they'd wear on Disney Channel.
Oh yeah and you couldn’t choose what pattern you got from Lularoe, it was total lucky dip and then you had all this crap no one wanted! Definitely one of the worst MLM’s out there.

All the MLM’s encourage people to buy in stock so they can fulfil orders straight away rather than making people wait. These purchases count towards that persons sales so someone might say they’ve made hundreds of pounds worth of sales...they’ve probably bought most of it themselves 🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The temptation is also to buy it yourself if you are close to a target etc. Thats how everyone I know who has done them has got in trouble.

Bought two more so they get their "bonus" next month they do a deal to flog the buts they ordered that noone actually wanted but they are already behind as that sale is last month not this etc. And it spirals

Reactions: 6
Does anyone follow lanni loves on Insta? I've followed her for ages. Used to live in a tiny terrace, shop in home bargains and work as a part time hairdresser. She joined fm, claimed to be earning 5 figures every month, bought a new build house, new car, gave up their jobs and living the high life. I think it's because she had a large following and recruited loads of people. I don't get why anyone would spend £25 on fake perfume with a cheap bottle with a sticker on it.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone follow lanni loves on Insta? I've followed her for ages. Used to live in a tiny terrace, shop in home bargains and work as a part time hairdresser. She joined fm, claimed to be earning 5 figures every month, bought a new build house, new car, gave up their jobs and living the high life. I think it's because she had a large following and recruited loads of people. I don't get why anyone would spend £25 on fake perfume with a cheap bottle with a sticker on it.
They’re all encouraged to ‘live the high life’ they’re selling a lifestyle, it’s how they get people to sign up under them. The car will be financed paid for by FM if they qualify every month so every month they have the stress of whether or not they’ll manage that.

I know someone who appears successful at FM but I reckon a lot of what they do is on credit cards or returned after photos. It’s all fake.

Also lanni loves is probably making money from Instagram, plenty of influencers quit their jobs...god how I’d laugh if one day Instagram just turned the app off 🤣

Reactions: 8
I know so many people doing FM at the moment. They must post about 40 insta-stories a day 'buy my products! sale on! join my team!' Its relentless.

I get why people have fallen for it as the whole 'sign up for free!' makes it seem like less of a scam, but I don't understand how people think its sustainable. Soon the people below you will get tired of hustling, and then you have to get others to join under you to make up the team numbers and sales again. Not to mention, you've got hundreds of other people selling the exact same tit as you - why do people think (unless they're friends/family) that they'll buy from you and not from someone else?

I think with the travel one, you basically pay £50 (not sure if thats monthly) to get access to a database with 'deals' on. Then you flog those to your customers and they book through you through the website. I'm not sure why it started popping up again though, especially now...the travel industry is pretty much dead at the moment, and I can't imagine many people booking holidays again until they're sure it won't be cancelled.
Absolutely not a chance would I book a holiday with someone who just signed up to do it as an sideline to make some extra money. If I'm paying for an expensive holiday I want reassurance should anything go wrong.

I want to book it with peace of mind with someone who knows the travel industry and its regulations....not from someone who's been to Ibiza 3 times so therefore thinks they know everything.

I also want this person to continue to look after my booking once its been made and follow it through to the actual holiday should anything go wrong....not someone who will no longer be doing it in 6 months time🤦‍♀️

They’re all encouraged to ‘live the high life’ they’re selling a lifestyle, it’s how they get people to sign up under them. The car will be financed paid for by FM if they qualify every month so every month they have the stress of whether or not they’ll manage that.

I know someone who appears successful at FM but I reckon a lot of what they do is on credit cards or returned after photos. It’s all fake.

Also lanni loves is probably making money from Instagram, plenty of influencers quit their jobs...god how I’d laugh if one day Instagram just turned the app off 🤣
There's actually studios and photographers just for this now🙈 you can pay for a photoshoot on a 'private jet' which is just a studio, and be stood next to expensive cars with the keys....even have photos in expensive hotels etc.....all paid by the hour 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
The FM one is really getting on my nerves. There’s a woman around our way who is constantly posting on our small villages Facebook page about it. I wouldn’t buy a thing from her based on I see her driving round the village constantly on her mobile phone & she almost hit me one day as she was looking down texting. Anyway that’s beside the point but they try selling these fragrances saying that they’re made in the same factory as designer perfumes...I’m sure that can’t be true. I can’t imagine Chanel saying yea knock yourself out you can have a bit of ours and sell it at a discounted price we don’t mind at all 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Stuff like that really bugs me. I am a nutritionist l, spent 4+ years studying and have worked so hard to build my reputation.. then people like this think they can just sell a weight loss product and call themselves a ‘health coach’!!!! Same for those who do 2 day courses selling weight loss programmes🙄 massive kick in the teeth
a bit off topic but it’s like my sister who studied for years to become a registered psychologist and sees these people (who get all their info from Google and self help books) calling themselves a mindset coach and lifestyle coach and working with people who have severe issues/trauma which they’re not qualified to do.

Reactions: 18
Absolutely not a chance would I book a holiday with someone who just signed up to do it as an sideline to make some extra money. If I'm paying for an expensive holiday I want reassurance should anything go wrong.

I want to book it with peace of mind with someone who knows the travel industry and its regulations....not from someone who's been to Ibiza 3 times so therefore thinks they know everything.

I also want this person to continue to look after my booking once its been made and follow it through to the actual holiday should anything go wrong....not someone who will no longer be doing it in 6 months time🤦‍♀️
Exactly! I'd rather go to someone who can actually recommend things for you and has studied properly, than someone who's never actually been to half of the places they're flogging. I'm not even sure what happens if the person quits? I assume their holiday will still be booked as most seem like UK getaways anyway and I guess the 'parent' company of inteletravel is responsible then.

Reactions: 3
I’m not sure which one my friend does but she gets people to buy drinks from her for weight loss. The thing is they have these drinks and one healthy meal a day. Anyone could lose weight having one meal a day ... the drink isn’t what’s causing any weight loss! I think they call it a detox, so no alcohol either, which will also make one lose weight. The drink they peddle isn’t a factor.
Someone on mine has started doing weight loss pills. I Googled them and they are basically just fibre and caffeine 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
Love this thread!
So I do FM (kind of) and I signed up because I wanted the perfume for myself so might as well get it discounted rates? I don’t advertise at all because that’s annoying, sometimes my friends and family order from me but I just do it at cost. I’m not bothered about commission or recruiting. I understand about perfume being a treat but personally I’d rather not pay 220 quid for a perfume I could get smelling similar for less? Probably makes me cheap but I don’t mind that Ha. If anyone has any questions I can try answer them but I might have to find the answer out as I’m not overly involved

Reactions: 1
Or people selling hampers.... COME ON I can tell that the stuff is from Poundland why order a hamper when u could go to Poundland yourself ..... £20 for a Halloween hamper or something with sweets that came to £3.50 from Lidl
If I was going to get myself a hamper, I would choose some luxury items from either Fortnum & Mason, or a similar kind of shop. Otherwise, why bother? 😉

Reactions: 9
Another colleague of mine’s mother started doing Body Shop At Home about a year ago, so went to her first ‘party’ which was held at my colleagues flat. It was a fun night with friends but it was very clear that you were there to be sold to. It was a sales pitch. I felt under pressure to buy something and I’m sure some of the others did too. Body Shop isn’t cheap! The mothers up line was there too ‘coaching’ her and that was too much, she claimed she was making £4000 a month. Can’t see that myself, although if she got loads of down lines then maybe. I listened in when she was talking to my friends mum and she said in order to do ‘party games’, she should be spending her commission on pass the parcel prizes etc. Baring in mind the commission she would be getting would have been very minimal, that seems harsh.
Anyway, fast forward a few month and my colleague was now on maternity leave. And suddenly has also joined Body Shop At Home. Turns out her own mother had recruited her! Disgraceful 😂😂😂 She hasn’t posted on her group in a long time so I’m assuming she’s stopped already. It’s just seems a very predatory set up. Getting young women to your sales pitch under the guise of a party. Recruiting young pregnant women.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Another colleague of mine’s mother started doing Body Shop At Home about a year ago, so went to her first ‘party’ which was held at my colleagues flat. It was a fun night with friends but it was very clear that you were there to be sold to. It was a sales pitch. I felt under pressure to buy something and I’m sure some of the others did too. Body Shop isn’t cheap! The mothers up line was there too ‘coaching’ her and that was too much, she claimed she was making £4000 a month. Can’t see that myself, although if she got loads of down lines then maybe. I listened in when she was talking to my friends mum and she said in order to do ‘party games’, she should be spending her commission on pass the parcel prizes etc. Baring in mind the commission she would be getting would have been very minimal, that seems harsh.
Anyway, fast forward a few month and my colleague was now on maternity leave. And suddenly has also joined Body Shop At Home. Turns out her own mother had recruited her! Disgraceful 😂😂😂 She hasn’t posted on her group in a long time so I’m assuming she’s stopped already. It’s just seems a very predatory set up. Getting young women to your sales pitch under the guise of a party. Recruiting young pregnant women.
If you wait for a Body Shop sale and go through one or the cashback websites, that stuff is literally half the price of what these 'small business owners' try to sell you it for!

If you wait for a Body Shop sale and go through one or the cashback websites, that stuff is literally half the price of what these 'small business owners' try to sell you it for!
Oh absolutely. I’d rather buy it from the stores and support that side of the business instead of their ‘at home’ side. I agree with a lot of the Body Shops ethics, so I love them as a brand. I’m always getting discount codes emailed to me for the shops so I just use that

Someone on my local Facebook group has asked for recommendations for local businesses to buy Christmas decorations from...
So far a large amount of comments are from people selling FM World!? 🤔 The really do seem to have to jump on every opportunity, no matter how relevant it is. I understand having to promote your ‘business’, but the original poster wanted Christmas decorations, not random perfume 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Any one heard of Monat? Half the females in my town seem to be selling. Even hairdressers... who I thought would know better...

Someone on my local Facebook group has asked for recommendations for local businesses to buy Christmas decorations from...
So far a large amount of comments are from people selling FM World!? 🤔 The really do seem to have to jump on every opportunity, no matter how relevant it is. I understand having to promote your ‘business’, but the original poster wanted Christmas decorations, not random perfume 😂
Someone on mine asked about Xmas gifts for their workers, large company. An FM rep volunteered her wares.

Imagine getting a bottle of fake perfume as your thank you for all your efforts in 20-bleeping-20 gift at Xmas.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Love this thread!
So I do FM (kind of) and I signed up because I wanted the perfume for myself so might as well get it discounted rates? I don’t advertise at all because that’s annoying, sometimes my friends and family order from me but I just do it at cost. I’m not bothered about commission or recruiting. I understand about perfume being a treat but personally I’d rather not pay 220 quid for a perfume I could get smelling similar for less? Probably makes me cheap but I don’t mind that Ha. If anyone has any questions I can try answer them but I might have to find the answer out as I’m not overly involved
I think that sounds totally reasonable. I won’t lie I did consider signing up for Body Shop At Home just so I could get the starter kit cos at the time it was only £40 for loads of products 😂 In the end I decided I wouldn’t be able to hack the pressure from the others in the group.
Someone on mine asked about Xmas gifts for their workers, large company. An FM rep volunteered her wares.

Imagine getting a bottle of fake perfume as your thank you for all your efforts in 20-bleeping-20 gift at Xmas.
Exactly? I understand wanting to whip up some business but do it when it’s appropriate. Cheap perfume isn’t useful in every situation. I think it’s part of what makes MLMs so annoying to a lot of people

Reactions: 1
Even if I was naive enough to join FM, I’d cringe knowing that if I was to post on my social media, I’d get blocked/hidden by everyone. I genuinely know about 15 people that have jumped on that bandwagon.

All claim to make a 4 figure salary. Ok Tracy, I’ll sack off my secure job to flog knock off perfume so you can benefit off the back of me 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.