Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SvenS

Did it? I must have missed that. I thought I saw info in the dossier where she had told him her route? Or at least her intention to stay at the Venasque Refuge and then go to Port de la Glere. Didn't she say something like "Port de la Glere or something that sounds like that"? But I might be wrong on that, I've not gone back to check the dossier. The thing is, she spoke to Dan around 4pm on the 22nd. She would definitely have told him where she was planning to stay that night and also the route she was planning. No way he wouldn't have known. So even if the route came from another hiker, Dan would have known her plan.

He said in his dossier: ‘An individual that Esther met on November 19 came forward to say he had specifically suggested this route through France, between Port de Venasque and Port de la Glere, to Esther when he met her. There is no reason to think that Esther did not stick to this plan.’
I think you are right she would have discussed her route with Dan in the phone call.

Reactions: 1

SummerSky

Yes you might be spot on with this assessment. I really do think there should have been another phone ping from her had she made it somewhere that night/next day (unless she was trying to hold off messages from Dan and staying in flight mode - that is possible). But what if she did go West, maybe she looked up the Venasque Refuge after chatting to Dan (as she had good reception up there & apparently had none the night before), and learnt more about it and decided not to go there. Maybe she fell off the Pic de la Glere, heading towards a different Refuge, as the sun was going down. Very plausible. And so very sad if so.
Or never moved again. Murdered on P de S.

But then heavy bodyweight to transport elsewhere. Via tent.

Didn't the dogs lose all scent of her right there? On pic de Sauvegarde.

I seem to recall that.

Yes, same thing really, same meaning just worded more directly.

He will miss the supply he got from her though, she really fed him well.

And she was better looking than him, I don't know how he pulled her to be honest, and then she stayed for so long... maybe he is more attractive in person, but what did she see in him?! She was obviously far more attractive in so many ways. I would have been friends with her but not him, just like Shanann and Chris Watts.
Yes. Their skills are incredible. They always pull better looking partners.

Agree with all the rest too.

What did she see in him? Someone who pursued her with great charm at the start - a totally false personality.

By the time she got hooked he'd reverted to type.

Last edited:

simonsays

The current theory is that a bear or wolf has moved some of the bones. As I mentioned, another hiker's body wasn't found for three years in the same area so it isn't easy to find bodies in this mountain range. Let's hope that the rest of the bones are found fairly soon.

AriaAria

I've been mulling over comments by AriaAria and BellaBoo83.

It struck me that BellaBoo had assumed the Refuge du Venasque was a hostel style refuge, like the Refuge du Angel Orus. What if Esther had assumed the same? That would explain the lack of food taken, as a meal could be bought. On the 19th Nov in her social media post she seems to use the words 'caban' and 'refuge' to mean two different things.

From this paragraph, it sounds like she planned 'another refuge' like the one she had just stayed at (Refuge du Angel Orus). There is also a reticence to stay in the more basic caban. Refuge du Venasque is more like a caban.

However, by the time she is on the mountain top, she is saying "Hoping Refuge Venasque has a winter room". At this point, she must have known that it was a more basic caban type hut, as these are the ones that might have a winter room.

So perhaps she started the walk thinking there was a hot meal and warm bed awaiting, but at some point (maybe googled it), realised it was a more basic mountain hut.

AriaAria was musing why she might have made a snap decision on the peak to head west, instead of back down the path east and towards the refuge. Maybe after she sent this message, she thought 'what if it doesn't have a winter room? It's going to be awful', then perhaps made a rushed decision to come down off the mountain via a different route to the west?

I think it's unlikely she made it to the refuge. Whilst there is no mobile service there, I think if she had overnighted and then continued her walk, there would have been a message sent saying she had made it to the hut and whether there was a winter room etc.
Yes you might be spot on with this assessment. I really do think there should have been another phone ping from her had she made it somewhere that night/next day (unless she was trying to hold off messages from Dan and staying in flight mode - that is possible). But what if she did go West, maybe she looked up the Venasque Refuge after chatting to Dan (as she had good reception up there & apparently had none the night before), and learnt more about it and decided not to go there. Maybe she fell off the Pic de la Glere, heading towards a different Refuge, as the sun was going down. Very plausible. And so very sad if so.

Pippa M

VIP Member
I read that she might have slipped in snow .
Maybe ,maybe not......but I am sure she had the right footwear and was surefooted enough with all her experience walking the mountain tracks...

SummerSky

Yeah, I don't get how they move on super fast like it's nothing. Did you really even care about the person? No one is saying they should wallow in self pity for the rest of their life/ not find another partner eventually.....but when it's so fast ... ⛳
These are people who cannot live without having their "false selves" propped up by another person.

It's got nothing to do with love.

If they didn't have a partner they'd commit suicide. So they do what they have to.

Very hard for us to understand.

AriaAria

Did this route information not come from the hiker she met on the 19th who suggested it?
Did it? I must have missed that. I thought I saw info in the dossier where she had told him her route? Or at least her intention to stay at the Venasque Refuge and then go to Port de la Glere. Didn't she say something like "Port de la Glere or something that sounds like that"? But I might be wrong on that, I've not gone back to check the dossier. The thing is, she spoke to Dan around 4pm on the 22nd. She would definitely have told him where she was planning to stay that night and also the route she was planning. No way he wouldn't have known. So even if the route came from another hiker, Dan would have known her plan.

SvenS

It's all public on Facebook. On their page.
Thanks, I've had a look at the Facebook Page - it's limited what I can see as I'm not on FB, so couldn't see those reports, but there was a good photo of his search GPS tracks.

It's made me realise the map of the partners search routes in The Times article was not showing the whole search area. He has covered far more than the forest on the French side - basically, he's been over the whole area. However, understandably, he hadn't done much searching in that very dangerous spot where I think she's been found.

I've often thought that if there was foul play be a third party, she still might have died by falling. Being intimidated close to an edge - being pushed close to an edge. If there was foul play involved, we may never know because she died due to the fall. If an intense argument occurred in the mountains and just for a second you exploded and wished a person harm, you wouldn't need to physically harm them - you could go for them and make them fall somehow. There need be no sign or an argument etc. I do believe there was an explosive relationship going on here and it certainly wasn't idyllic. I believe , from what Laura reported, that there had been a breakup of some sorts and Esther had left and gone off to hike.. on her own. DC expected her to return but she kept on prolonging the trip until it reached a very heated point.
Yes I agree definitely a very nasty side to their relationship, due to DC's narc psycho rage which no doubt would have loved intimidating her. In my opinion she did display lots of signs of having been abused by him, treading on eggshells to try to not set him off, calling him hero all the time, must please his ridiculous ego...

And a mountain comes with it's own "weapons", rocks. He would have hit her on the head from behind, and when sure she was dead pushed her off.

kazizzle

VIP Member
OMG I just learned that the French village they house sat in is only 40 minutes drive from Luchon! She was right next to Luchon!

The train from Toulouse takes 3hrs but someone posted that by car, Arreau to Luchon is 40 minutes!
You can drive right up to Hospice de France as well I think which would only be a couple of hours walk to the refuge. Google says 58 minutes by car from Arreau to Hospice de France.

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
There's a piece on Esther in today's Sunday Times magazine where the journalist joins her partner Dan Colegate in his search for Esther. Behind a paywall, but there's a free trial available.

SvenS

is there a possibility he knew he needed to 'find her' so that if forensics placed his DNA at the scene, he could reasonably explain why it was there?
I think if that was the case, then he would have stuck closely to the search teams when they were looking, rather than going off on his own.