Missing Blogger Esther Dingley #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It seems to imply he was in the Bagneres Luchon area. 4hrs walk up to Pic de S.

She had to be cryptic because of lockdown rules?
To my mind there are too many coincidences here for there not to be something in it:

1. The rescue helicopter video where the rescuers were doing exactly what happened to Esther a few months later (premeditated?).
2. Esther writing "I think I can see you" (could she see him?).
3. The BBC article comes out the same day she disappears.
4. Dan waits 3 days to alert authorities.
5. Dan's BBC interview where he says he "loved" her.
6. Dan goes off searching on his own, leads them the wrong direction (deliberately?).
7. Dan hiring LBT to control the narrative, rubbishing claims they were "on a break".
8. The bone fragment appearing literally out of nowhere (deliberately placed?).
9. Dan magically finding the body when the search teams couldn't, even with all their special equipment and helicopters etc.
10. The missing items and tent.
11. Dan now fund raising.

Each one of these things could be explained away on their own, but put them together and it's too many coincidences & red flags imho.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
You guys understand that it is not realistic that Mr. Colegate did this in a fit of rage, even though that's the most likely way such a thing would happen in real life ?

A fit of rage would mean that it would not be premeditated and so he would take his phone with him, which means it would inevitably ping a mast on the way to her and thus give the Police the evidence that he was not where he said he was. The hire car via cash without ID is out of the question too, those people virtually want blood !

I think it is logistically virtually impossible because his phone/credit card/laptop would alert the Police to where he was and the logistics of going in the night by bike to kill her, drag her body up and drop her over the edge without leaving any clues and getting there and then back unobserved in the very early morning doesn't sound credible to me. I also don't think he would be looking to go there to kill her anyway - it is clear that he likes to have a "disciple" to massage his ego...

A couple of other points :
(1) There is talk of her body being released and then the ashes scattered - I wouldn't think the Police would allow this if they thought the case was still unsolved.
(2) He'd have to be extremely dumb (I don't like the way he acts, but I don't think he's dumb) if he wanted to kill her to do it this way - far wiser to bide his time, propose another final hike together and then push her over a ledge whilst claiming she fell. Try and prove otherwise when him being there is not an indicator of guilt, there would be no witnesses and it would be virtually impossible to get a conviction.
I posted this a while back and the thoughts within it explain why I still think Mr. Colegate is not directly involved (I DO think their deteriorating relationship probably played a part one way or the other).

At the moment I still think an accident where she was in an emotional state and not taking proper care is the most probable cause, however, suicide sadly remains on the table of possibilities and something somebody else (I can't locate who for the life of me) said in this thread that I had not fully considered strengthens that possibility - the mystery of why she went up the same climb twice is solved if she was doing a reconnaissance of where and how to do it - I really hope she was not so desperate with her personal situation that this was the case but I certainly think it's possible.

Reactions: 7
I wonder if the "I loved her" comment was very literal - hence waiting 3 days to alert rescue, too. DC is perhaps a very very literal thinker re emotion. He's clearly clever and calculating too. They had a brand and a life together, which he valued, but it was no longer "love", for him (backed up by so many other indicators). So, something that many of us have taken to be almost a slip-up may not have been - although he rapidly realised as soon as he'd said it how it sounded, and corrected it (but really for the brand's sake). Just a thought. Agreed, otherwise, so many red flags - so many very strange factors seemed to align for this awful tragedy to happen.

Reactions: 4
To my mind there are too many coincidences here for there not to be something in it:

1. The rescue helicopter video where the rescuers were doing exactly what happened to Esther a few months later (premeditated?).
2. Esther writing "I think I can see you" (could she see him?).
3. The BBC article comes out the same day she disappears.
4. Dan waits 3 days to alert authorities.
5. Dan's BBC interview where he says he "loved" her.
6. Dan goes off searching on his own, leads them the wrong direction (deliberately?).
7. Dan hiring LBT to control the narrative, rubbishing claims they were "on a break".
8. The bone fragment appearing literally out of nowhere (deliberately placed?).
9. Dan magically finding the body when the search teams couldn't, even with all their special equipment and helicopters etc.
10. The missing items and tent.
11. Dan now fund raising.

Great list of flaming red flags. Wish we could pin it to the top of the thread so it shows on each new page.

12. Tracking dogs found no scent of her beyond Pic de Sauvegarde yet she was found in a different area.

13. No vultures sighted by mountain rangers from 22-25 November? and beyond. Presuming rangers continued duties & daily walks 22-25 Nov?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
This is why they don't like folks on search efforts. I know this keeps getting forgotten, but SAR could have found Esther's remains a lot earlier if it hadn't been for Dan. Perhaps they'd even have found her last December before snow set in. You see, he contaminated the trail. Plus, he insisted that Esther went in a certain direction (that he seems to have made up, since Esther clearly says she was going first to the area where she was found).
So, here's how SAR works, and why the police were so annoyed that Dan insisted on doing his own searching.
SAR is for trained personnel only.

Reactions: 8
I wonder if the "I loved her" comment was very literal - hence waiting 3 days to alert rescue, too. DC is perhaps a very very literal thinker re emotion. He's clearly clever and calculating too. They had a brand and a life together, which he valued, but it was no longer "love", for him (backed up by so many other indicators). So, something that many of us have taken to be almost a slip-up may not have been - although he rapidly realised as soon as he'd said it how it sounded, and corrected it (but really for the brand's sake). Just a thought. Agreed, otherwise, so many red flags - so many very strange factors seemed to align for this awful tragedy to happen.
But why not just do it off that pic? She would know her family would want her found and she could make it look like she was trying to get a photo and slipped from there.

I do not buy into the suicide theory. Not enough evidence and missing equipment.

She delayed her return. She interacted with people went climbing with a group of at least 3 people. Why try to learn a new skill if the intention is to end your life?

For me it is accident or foul play.

Reactions: 5
But why not just do it off that pic? She would know her family would want her found and she could make it look like she was trying to get a photo and slipped from there.

I do not buy into the suicide theory. Not enough evidence and missing equipment.

She delayed her return. She interacted with people went climbing with a group of at least 3 people. Why try to learn a new skill if the intention is to end your life?

For me it is accident or foul play.

Yes. One reason dogs would not scent her movements from Pic de Sauvegarde towards Pic de la Glere was if she returned back DOWN the mountain retracing her steps.

And died off the mountain in foul play.

She'd at minimum leave her mother a note too! She was not cruel/self absorbed.

Dan originally said she wasn't on the mountain. Dec 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I don't buy the suicide theory. I also don't think she was climbing that mountain at all. It was too difficult and none of the paths up were for walking on. They were proper climbing trails where you needed spikes etc. Certainly not for the faint hearted, or to do alone. So I can't see that she went up that Pic at all.

So how did her body end up down there? In my mind it has to have been put there. If she was going to commit suicide I can't see that she would have thrown herself off the top of a mountain that was virtually impossible to climb. What if she had survived, with no way to call for help? It was too risky. If you're going to commit suicide, there are better places up the mountain and easier ways to do it. Not in that place she was found.

So the only explanation that fits for me is foul play. And if not DC then was there another person perhaps? But even if there was, I can't see her going up that mountain at all. It wasn't climbable.

The superb tv show ‘The Investigation’ about journalist Kim Wall is a good example of how this works. It’s a drama but meticulously researched and faithfully & sensitively presented according to those portrayed.
Thank you for mentioning the TV Show 'The Investigation'. I just watched it and there are so many similarities to Esther's case (imo). It was really interesting to see it from the police's point of view, how they go about these things, the fastidiousness and effort they put in, how they 'know' who did it, but still have to prove it.

I noticed too how they used the media, to put out pertinent information to see if maybe the killers friends would come forward. And in Esther's case, a few times now the police have dropped hints, which must have been deliberate, as the police calculate everything. So those hints are even more important now, imho. For example, the police will not mention "murder" just for the sake of it.

I found the show really fascinating to watch, especially in light of what has happened to Esther, it was heartbreakingly sad too (beautifully & sensitively made/acted). I think this is exactly what's going on with the French Police right now, that's why it's going to take them so long to come back with findings. Time will tell of course.

Interesting too how the Danish police in Kim's case wouldn't let the father or his friend join the search team (in the water), even though they knew that water area well and could dive. The police said it wasn't allowed. Yet there was Dan all over Esther's trail. I now wonder if they deliberately "allowed" Dan to do this as they felt it was the best way to find the body and possibly catch him out? And indeed he did find the body for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Hi! New to this thread and so glad I find it!
I’ve followed this case in the news since she first went missing and I followed it through BBC news.
What I found really strange and quite creepy is about a month or two before she went missing, he did a huge article on them both, how they quit their life to climb mountains.
Just made me question him so much more! He seemed quite fame hungry in a respect!?
But thanks for the information, will be following closely!

Reactions: 2
Hilarious reading back through this thread. I see most people are having fun with the theory that Dan pushed her off the cliff.
Yes, Dan was a fruitcake. So was she. They were made for each other. But come on. There's one huge thing wrong with this theory: the world just isn't that interesting. It would the crime of the century. The assumptions involved are beyond fiction. Sure, anything is possible, but the probability of this theory barely registers on the scale.
Wondering why some of her gear is missing? It will be hidden somewhere down below. When on an up-down hike it makes sense to hide stuff you don't need in bushes or among rocks, to be picked up on the way down. I do that all the time. What's the point carrying it all up and down again?

What's wrong with the obvious, Occam-approved solution that she went up to the ridge for a photo (or a signal) and fell off due to an overzealous stretch during a momentary lapse of situational awareness? Disappointingly dull, I know.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Hilarious reading back through this thread. I see most people are having fun with the theory that Dan pushed her off the cliff.
Yes, Dan was a fruitcake. So was she. They were made for each other. But come on. There's one huge thing wrong with this theory: the world just isn't that interesting. It would the crime of the century. The assumptions involved are beyond fiction. Sure, anything is possible, but the probability of this theory barely registers on the scale.
Wondering why some of her gear is missing? It will be hidden somewhere down below. When on an up-down hike it makes sense to hide stuff you don't need in bushes or among rocks, to be picked up on the way down. I do that all the time. What's the point carrying it all up and down again?

What's wrong with the obvious, Occam-approved solution that she went up to the ridge for a photo (or a signal) and fell off due to an overzealous stretch during a momentary lapse of situational awareness? Disappointingly dull, I know.
I followed this story at the begining and read as much as I could and Ive a few reasons as to why.

I watched lots of people covering this case because I was thinking it seems like its him and each time picked up some new info and it just further convinced me to a point where I was like this is obvious.

But hey Im not a detective in the case but I have to put my opinion across.
I hope there is justice for this lady.

Its good to see crime cases discussed.

Reactions: 4

accusations that this poster is DC in 5, 4, 3….

• Haha

I agree with a lot of this; Dan is an oddball but so was Esther - seven dogs when their only permanent home was a camper van?! And her preparations for the hike weren't good, especially with the winter weather setting in. An accident IS a dull theory, but still the most likely.

Reactions: 10
I agree with a lot of this; Dan is an oddball but so was Esther - seven dogs when their only permanent home was a camper van?! And her preparations for the hike weren't good, especially with the winter weather setting in. An accident IS a dull theory, but still the most likely.
I live not far from the Pyrenees. When the story first broke, no one in my hiking club could quite believe that she'd gone alone into a treacherous part of the mountains in winter, at a time when national and regional lockdowns meant there'd be fewer people around. Then add the details like ascending late in the day, wearing dark colours, not being sure if the refuge had a winter room, apparently carrying inadequate provisions and with unsuitable footwear...

It's certainly very sad. People die in the mountains (in a far more publicised case locally, a young couple - both doctors - died after getting lost in an early snowfall last year). Sadly, not following best practice guidelines makes accidents more likely.

Sorry to all the expert psychologists here who have diagnosed Dan as a narcissist, someone with a personality disorder, an abuser, a woman hater, and more; who say that he must have another woman lined up, that he was coercively controlling his partner, that he financially abused her, that he forced her to give away their dogs...and all without a single piece of evidence. Writing bad poetry does not make someone a murderer.

Reactions: 18
To me it’s one of the greatest puzzling details about the case - that we have footage of her acknowledging (and it comes across as sincere) the importance of being prepared, having the right equipment, making the right decisions, and what happens when that goes wrong and the burden that then places on the volunteer mountain rescue crews. And yet so many details scream lack of preparedness, poor decision making etc. (And yes a lot of that comes from Dan’s dossier but from eyewitnesses as well.) And then several days before the alarm was raised. It is such a tragic and confusing end to a young person’s life.

Reactions: 3