Missing Blogger Esther Dingley #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To my mind there are too many coincidences here for there not to be something in it:

1. The rescue helicopter video where the rescuers were doing exactly what happened to Esther a few months later (premeditated?).
2. Esther writing "I think I can see you" (could she see him?).
3. The BBC article comes out the same day she disappears.
4. Dan waits 3 days to alert authorities.
5. Dan's BBC interview where he says he "loved" her.
6. Dan goes off searching on his own, leads them the wrong direction (deliberately?).
7. Dan hiring LBT to control the narrative, rubbishing claims they were "on a break".
8. The bone fragment appearing literally out of nowhere (deliberately placed?).
9. Dan magically finding the body when the search teams couldn't, even with all their special equipment and helicopters etc.
10. The missing items and tent.
11. Dan now fund raising.

Each one of these things could be explained away on their own, but put them together and it's too many coincidences & red flags imho.

@TiaanG has summed up all the reasons why the French Police are spending so much time and money examining the remains so thoroughly.

"I think I can see you" is probably the most blatant red flag.

Inferior poetic abilities have little to motivate the police interest. It's probably DC writing about hating and loathing Esther that bothers them.

Reactions: 5
Okay, so let's look at this list.

1. The rescue helicopter video where the rescuers were doing exactly what happened to Esther a few months later (premeditated?).
If you hike regularly, you will see SAR in action sooner or later. It happens. People go missing and have accidents in the mountains a lot.

2. Esther writing "I think I can see you" (could she see him?).
It is ABSOLUTELY INSANE that people think she meant this literally. She was looking towards France. He was in France. It's not unusual or mysterious, it's normal to say, "teehee I can see you from here!" I've sent similar messages to friends in Mallorca when hiking. This did not lead them to swim to the peninsula and murder me.

This is particularly clear when she did this TWICE - once on social media, once in a Whatsapp message. We can be certain that the first time she was NOT literally able to see him, which indicates that using "I can see you" to mean looking from a distance in your general direction was something she did.

3. The BBC article comes out the same day she disappears.
Irrelevant.

In fact, if you were going to hatch a cunning plan to acquire transport from...somewhere, sneak across France under lockdown, speedwalk up a mountain, murder your partner, speedwalk back down and sneak back to your previous location, you'd probably NOT want to draw the attention of the media in advance, right?

4. Dan waits 3 days to alert authorities.
Because he thought she was on a 3-day hike.

5. Dan's BBC interview where he says he "loved" her.
This is not the smoking gun people think it is. Innocent people fearing the worst also use the past tense.

6. Dan goes off searching on his own, leads them the wrong direction (deliberately?).
This is an oxymoron - either he was searching alone or he was leading SAR on a wild goose chase, but both cannot be true.

7. Dan hiring LBT to control the narrative, rubbishing claims they were "on a break".
a) They're a charity, not a PR firm. They're not "controlling the narrative" (this thread's favourite phrase).

b) The claim that they were on a break comes from a single source, Laura Adomaityte. It could be true - or it could have been lost in translation; between English and Spanish, it is easy to mistake "we're [physically] apart, and I don't know when I'm [physically] going back to him" (true at the time) and "we're [emotionally] apart, and I don't know when I'm [emotionally] going back to him".

In contrast to Laura Adomaityte's statement, we have the words of Esther's aunt, speaking on behalf of her father, who said Esther had phoned her dad to tell him she would soon be going home to Dan; we have the words of Esther's long-term close friend Phil Ash, who said she told him the same; we have Esther's own social media posts, thanking Dan for helping her become more confident and imagining him alongside her; we have a selection of Esther's Whatsapp messages to Dan, full of "love you" and "xx". Notably, these were all AFTER her conversation with Laura Adomaityte.

NO OTHER WITNESS has said they had broken up. All witnesses report that she was happy and in good spirits.

8. The bone fragment appearing literally out of nowhere (deliberately placed?).
Deliberately placed...by an animal or snowmelt. Not remotely unusual in the mountains.

9. Dan magically finding the body when the search teams couldn't, even with all their special equipment and helicopters etc.
Dan found her body because he was looking for it. The SAR operation happened in winter; realistically, it was not going to involve combing every centimetre of the area, due to weather conditions and the sad fact that if you have an accident alone in the Pyrenees in winter, you will die quickly. SAR focus their efforts on the living.

Dan continued to search the mountains for months. Nobody else was searching at that time.

10. The missing items and tent.
Maybe she stashed them somewhere, deciding she didn't need them and wanted to lighten her load. Maybe they were dislodged when she fell or after she died. Those tents fold up very small. Could be wedged down the side of a rock, in a crevasse, etc.

11. Dan now fund raising.
...for a charity. In memory of Esther. A charity she had previously raised funds for. How the duck is this considered a red flag?

Finally, as for the much-discussed quote about hatred and loathing...it was in the context of telling a story that ran, essentially, "we were stressed and miserable, and then we bought a camper van and became happy and fell in love with each other again."

I get that this thread is just endless searching for examples of confirmation bias to support your pet theory, but come on.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

If you hike regularly, you will see SAR in action sooner or later. It happens. People go missing and have accidents in the mountains a lot.

It is ABSOLUTELY INSANE that people think she meant this literally. She was looking towards France. He was in France. It's not unusual or mysterious, it's normal to say, "teehee I can see you from here!" I've sent similar messages to friends in Mallorca when hiking. This did not lead them to swim to the peninsula and murder me.

This is particularly clear when she did this TWICE - once on social media, once in a Whatsapp message. We can be certain that the first time she was NOT literally able to see him, which indicates that using "I can see you" to mean looking from a distance in your general direction was something she did.

Irrelevant.

In fact, if you were going to hatch a cunning plan to acquire transport from...somewhere, sneak across France under lockdown, speedwalk up a mountain, murder your partner, speedwalk back down and sneak back to your previous location, you'd probably NOT want to draw the attention of the media in advance, right?

This is not the smoking gun people think it is. Innocent people fearing the worst also use the past tense.

This is an oxymoron - either he was searching alone or he was leading SAR on a wild goose chase, but both cannot be true.

a) They're a charity, not a PR firm. They're not "controlling the narrative" (this thread's favourite phrase).

b) The claim that they were on a break comes from a single source, Laura Adomaityte. It could be true - or it could have been lost in translation; between English and Spanish, it is easy to mistake "we're [physically] apart, and I don't know when I'm [physically] going back to him" (true at the time) and "we're [emotionally] apart, and I don't know when I'm [emotionally] going back to him".

In contrast to Laura Adomaityte's statement, we have the words of Esther's aunt, speaking on behalf of her father, who said Esther had phoned her dad to tell him she would soon be going home to Dan; we have the words of Esther's long-term close friend Phil Ash, who said she told him the same; we have Esther's own social media posts, thanking Dan for helping her become more confident and imagining him alongside her; we have a selection of Esther's Whatsapp messages to Dan, full of "love you" and "xx". Notably, these were all AFTER her conversation with Laura Adomaityte.

NO OTHER WITNESS has said they had broken up. All witnesses report that she was happy and in good spirits.

Deliberately placed...by an animal or snowmelt. Not remotely unusual in the mountains.

Dan found her body because he was looking for it. The SAR operation happened in winter; realistically, it was not going to involve combing every centimetre of the area, due to weather conditions and the sad fact that if you have an accident alone in the Pyrenees in winter, you will die quickly. SAR focus their efforts on the living.

Dan continued to search the mountains for months. Nobody else was searching at that time.

Maybe she stashed them somewhere, deciding she didn't need them and wanted to lighten her load. Maybe they were dislodged when she fell or after she died. Those tents fold up very small. Could be wedged down the side of a rock, in a crevasse, etc.

...for a charity. In memory of Esther. A charity she had previously raised funds for. How the duck is this considered a red flag?

Finally, as for the much-discussed quote about hatred and loathing...it was in the context of telling a story that ran, essentially, "we were stressed and miserable, and then we bought a camper van and became happy and fell in love with each other again."

I get that this thread is just endless searching for examples of confirmation bias to support your pet theory, but come on.
I just wanted to say how impressed I am by the way you copied and broke up the previous post. Skills 👏

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Irrelevant.

OMG sanity 👏👏👏

Reactions: 11

Irrelevant.

This is all very rational and well articulated. Some of the speculation on here has been pretty wild.

Reactions: 11
Well, just reading through the latest posts quickly…
I don’t think it is insane to believe or discuss that Esther meant the ‘I think I can see you’ comments literally. I think it is insane to not discuss these with a view to her meaning them literally.
DC dismissed Laura’s statement to the police in which she recounted Esthers comments re a breakup as salacious nonsense. The police chose to allow them to be printed by the media for a reason. The police chose to make public that their relationship was not as it seemed. Why on earth would you not discuss such discrepancy with respect to the case. Now that is insane. Hopefully more time to discuss further tomorrow..

Reactions: 3
Well, just reading through the latest posts quickly…
I don’t think it is insane to believe or discuss that Esther meant the ‘I think I can see you’ comments literally. I think it is insane to not discuss these with a view to her meaning them literally.
It has always been made clear that phone records indicate he did not leave the village in which he was staying.

If you believe that Esther meant "I can see you" literally (both times?), you presumably believe that:

* Dan rented/borrowed/bought/stole a car from someone who has never come forward
* Dan managed to sneak across France under lockdown, then back again
* While this was happening, Dan left his phone with a friend in the village
* The friend repeatedly whatsapped Esther from the village
* The friend also had a video call with Esther on the afternoon of her disappearance

In other words, yep, it's completely batshit insane.

DC dismissed Laura’s statement to the police in which she recounted Esthers comments re a breakup as salacious nonsense. The police chose to allow them to be printed by the media for a reason. The police chose to make public that their relationship was not as it seemed. Why on earth would you not discuss such discrepancy with respect to the case. Now that is insane. Hopefully more time to discuss further tomorrow..
The French police were, at the time, trying to push the theory that Esther had chosen to voluntarily disappear. The French police are notorious for ALWAYS pushing this theory - the right to disappear - in missing person cases. Look up the work of the ARPD if you want to know more.

Note that at the same time, the SPANISH police said that they believed she'd had an accident. But that wasn't nearly as exciting for the armchair detectives, was it?

Note also that the French police, post-body discovery, now agree with their Spanish counterparts.

Finally, note that even when the French police were trying to push the voluntary disappearance angle, they repeatedly reiterated that Dan wasn't a suspect. Because he was hundreds of kilometres away.

BTW, you want red flags? Let me reiterate:

Esther travelled to Spain to go hiking alone 🚩 in winter 🚩 in high mountains. 🚩 She did not speak Spanish. 🚩 She wore dark colours, 🚩 yoga pants, 🚩 and inadequate, wornout footwear. 🚩 She did not carry any form of GPS other than her phone. 🚩 Her route was not set in stone. 🚩 She did not know if her intended destination had a winter room. 🚩 She was known to carry inadequate provisions. 🚩 She was known to follow bad bivouac practice. 🚩 She ascended late in the day. 🚩 All this took place during a global pandemic, when there were fewer people in the mountains due to national and regional restrictions. 🚩

Each one of these would either make an accident more likely, or make it harder to get help after an accident. There are reasons that hikers have best practice guidelines to follow.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It has always been made clear that phone records indicate he did not leave the village in which he was staying.

If you believe that Esther meant "I can see you" literally (both times?), you presumably believe that:

* Dan rented/borrowed/bought/stole a car from someone who has never come forward
* The friend also had a video call with Esther on the afternoon of her disappearance

The French police were, at the time, trying to push the theory that Esther had chosen to voluntarily disappear. The French police are notorious for ALWAYS pushing this theory - the right to disappear - in missing person cases. Look up the work of the ARPD if you want to know more.

Note that at the same time, the SPANISH police said that they believed she'd had an accident. But that wasn't nearly as exciting for the armchair detectives, was it?

Note also that the French police, post-body discovery, now agree with their Spanish counterparts.

Finally, note that even when the French police were trying to push the voluntary disappearance angle, they repeatedly reiterated that Dan wasn't a suspect. Because he was hundreds of kilometres away.

Esther travelled to Spain to go hiking alone 🚩 in winter 🚩 in high mountains. 🚩 She did not speak Spanish. 🚩 She wore dark colours, 🚩 yoga pants, 🚩 and inadequate, wornout footwear. 🚩 She did not carry any form of GPS other than her phone. 🚩 Her route was not set in stone. 🚩 She did not know if her intended destination had a winter room. 🚩 She was known to carry inadequate provisions. 🚩 She was known to follow bad bivouac practice. 🚩 She ascended late in the day. 🚩 All this took place during a global pandemic, when there were fewer people in the mountains due to national and regional restrictions. 🚩

Each one of these would either make an accident more likely, or make it harder to get help after an accident. There are reasons that hikers have best practice guidelines to follow.

ABSOLUTELY!!

The post above gives the FACTS rather than wild speculation.

Reactions: 5

THANKYOU for your posts. I have been on this thread since January and it’s become more and more obvious that this has just been a tragic accident. In my opinion, these batshit theories about her other half murdering her are actually just disrespectful to her memory at this point.
Yes it would make for great reading if Dan had murdered her, but it just isn’t feasible. Let’s just leave her to rest and let her loved ones grieve.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
THANKYOU for your posts. I have been on this thread since January and it’s become more and more obvious that this has just been a tragic accident. In my opinion, these batshit theories about her other half murdering her are actually just disrespectful to her memory at this point.
Yes it would make for great reading if Dan had murdered her, but it just isn’t feasible. Let’s just leave her to rest and let her loved ones grieve.
That's it exactly. I also find it really distasteful to see this baseless speculation that Dan was an abusive, controlling monster, which some people seem to take as fact just because other posters have repeated it often enough. No evidence. Zero. None. And you can bet your bottom dollar that the UK tabloids would have done all they can to dig up dirt on the relationship...

I've followed this case from the start - as I said, I live near the Pyrenees and I'm a hiker. The speculation just keeps getting more and more outlandish, and it feels increasingly ghoulish and disrespectful to both Esther's memory and the loved ones she left behind.

Reactions: 12
In contrast to Laura Adomaityte's statement, we have the words of Esther's aunt, speaking on behalf of her father, who said Esther had phoned her dad to tell him she would soon be going home to Dan; we have the words of Esther's long-term close friend Phil Ash, who said she told him the same;
This is very interesting, can you link to the source for these statements please.

Phew. Some wild DC defenders on here suddenly.

Plenty fire. Little research.
Little research? I've laid facts out clearly.

If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to report them.

Edited to add: this poster has diagnosed Dan Colegate as a narcissist, a "100% women hater", and much more besides; they have claimed that a poem with the word "stains" in it written months BEFORE Esther went missing indicates that her body was wrapped in a tent and carted off the mountain; and they accuse other people of posting without doing research. Hilarious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
I don’t think the “I think is can see you” is just a joking, looking towards the area of France he was, sort of text.
because if it was a joke, why would she say “I think”

Wouldn’t she just say, I can see you from where I am!

dunno. Gives me strange vibes

Reactions: 2
Little research? I've laid facts out clearly.

If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to report them.

Edited to add: this poster has diagnosed Dan Colegate as a narcissist, a "100% women hater", and much more besides; they have claimed that a poem with the word "stains" in it written months BEFORE Esther went missing indicates that her body was wrapped in a tent and carted off the mountain; and they accuse other people of posting without doing research. Hilarious.

You are very confused.

I wrote no post about the "poem with the word "stains" in it..."