Misha Grimes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So sorry I didn’t actually know the definition of mandem, I’m disgusted, someone needs to call her out for that. This is exactly the kind of thing we are trying to fight against.

Reactions: 1
Where I come from ‘mandem’ is used by any race. It’s something chavvy like boys call themselves and their friends whether they’re white/black or Asian.

Reactions: 3
Where I come from ‘mandem’ is used by any race. It’s something chavvy like boys call themselves and their friends whether they’re white/black or Asian.
Same here but its quite clear from this clip what they are insinuating it to mean, as well as the description of their clothes. I wouldn't say that word particularly is offensive when used between groups to describe their group but in the context it is hard to defend the usage of it

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Also cobi made a point to say the cinema they went to was his town not hers and he referred to it as ‘ends’ 🙄

• Angry
I think it just screams cop out
Glad I’m not the only one! “quote on quote, one of the lucky ones” Like there’s no “quote on quote” you are a lucky one for the privilege that you have, ESPECIALLY her, considering she gets intimidated by men in a cinema watching a film. I don’t think I’ve seen a 21 year old so sheltered before.

Reactions: 4
TBh from the clip I dont think that they were implying that the group of guys were black, just a bit rough? Still disgraceful to judge them though and I might be mis-calculating the slang!

TBh from the clip I dont think that they were implying that the group of guys were black, just a bit rough? Still disgraceful to judge them though and I might be mis-calculating the slang!
For sure! Without seeing the boys its hard to know what she was insinuating.

I just wanted to highlight the origin/history of the word and how some people use it as a derogative word to describe groups of black males. The use of this word can vary and be different to each individual using it. Some can be lighthearted compared to others who use it as a way to speak negatively.

But that was my interpretation of her use of the word mandem.

Sorry but if you refuse to see the racial undertone in what she said then you’re turning a blind eye on purpose. Of course she’s not going to explicitly say slurs on camera. But hey!

Reactions: 18
Sorry but if you refuse to see the racial undertone in what she said then you’re turning a blind eye on purpose. Of course she’s not going to explicitly say slurs on camera. But hey!
I agree. I really don't think mandem meant chavs. They have 2 completely different connotations in my opinion. I understand being intimidated as a female by a big group of boys in a lot of circumstances but not sat down with your boyfriend in a cinema 🤷‍♀️.

Reactions: 8
Holy tit! Can’t believe how many full nip and vag slips she’s had! Just seen them all on reddit :eek:

Better get boycotting Jessie J then, hey?
I haven't heard about Jessie J for years but I'm guessing youre saying she has used the expression 'Mandem' . I don't think anyone on here is saying that Mandem is a derogatory slur. It's just an expression meaning a group of men. It would have to be heard in context as it actually just means 'those men' ... think of it as someone saying 'them men' then converting it to 'man them' ...and then you get 'man dem' so 'dem' equals 'them'.... it's really hard to explain writing it down and of course it's completely grammatically incorrect but honestly it's not that deep.It's just slang which every generation has. It has derived from black slang but if you live in a multicultural area it would just be 'youth speak' spoken by all teens regardless of race...which is fine.

I actually think Cobi 'gets it'...he has used this expression because he doesn't want to actually say it was a group of black guys. He's wise enough to realise how ridiculous it would sound for a white person to say that their evening was spoiled because they felt intimidated by a group of innocent black cinema goers..WHILST watching a movie about black gang culture!

In case anyone never understood it before, this is a great example of White Privilege.

Reactions: 7
I haven't heard about Jessie J for years but I'm guessing youre saying she has used the expression 'Mandem' . I don't think anyone on here is saying that Mandem is a derogatory slur. It's just an expression meaning a group of men. It would have to be heard in context as it actually just means 'those men' ... think of it as someone saying 'them men' then converting it to 'man them' ...and then you get 'man dem' so 'dem' equals 'them'.... it's really hard to explain writing it down and of course it's completely grammatically incorrect but honestly it's not that deep.It's just slang which every generation has. It has derived from black slang but if you live in a multicultural area it would just be 'youth speak' spoken by all teens regardless of race...which is fine.

I actually think Cobi 'gets it'...he has used this expression because he doesn't want to actually say it was a group of black guys. He's wise enough to realise how ridiculous it would sound for a white person to say that their evening was spoiled because they felt intimidated by a group of innocent black cinema goers..WHILST watching a movie about black gang culture!

In case anyone never understood it before, this is a great example of White Privilege.
Just came to almost say the same - with words which are more ambiguous context is key. The combination of Cobi calling it the ends, the mandem comment, the description of their outfits, Misha saying she felt uncomfortable and it burst her bubble whilst watching Blue Story. Its quite clear the racial connotations which come with it.

I'm sure we have all felt uncomfortable when a large group of people are around regardless of gender race whatever BUT never have I felt like that in a cinema, or even particularly when I have been with my boyfriend.

Misha is a ridiculously over-sheltered, entitled white girl

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Anyone else getting really pissed off at all the white people telling someone to calm down In the comments, when they are the only person not praising her for her little post, but actually educating her on what to do... -_- Black lives are more important than white peoples feelings.

He's wise enough to realise how ridiculous it would sound for a white person to say that their evening was spoiled because they felt intimidated by a group of innocent black cinema goers..WHILST watching a movie about black gang culture!

Exactly, this is why I was curious as to what film they were watching

Reactions: 1
All of her posts and stories have been about ‘being to afraid to say the wrong thing’, ‘sometimes it’s worse if you don’t say anything’ (wow really misha🙄) ‘I’m scared to come back to instagram.’ The tone comes back to her every single time and her expressing how uncomfortable she is. Misha - you should be uncomfortable. You have white privilege whilst black people are being murdered. This should be the most uncomfortable, gut wrenching time for white people, and yet it’s still only a tiny percentage compared to the uncomfortableness and fear black people face every day. I know she has been posting useful links as well which I give credit to her for but she doesn’t need to keep focusing on how she feels in these times and how she’s scared to say the wrong thing - it’s not about that and it’s not about her.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.