Michael Mosley

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sorry if what I said was offensive, I didn't mean for it to be. It's just my opinion but there is this also for the reasoning behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

So it's not something I just randomly came up with, it has been studied.

But maybe this thread and this story was not the time, so I apologise for distracting from Michael.

Eye_Spy - really appreciate your posts. It's so important that there are people who are in the know and can relay such facts in the very calm and respectful way you did to sort out what we are dealing with from the jumbled media reporting.

I feel so much for Michael's family as time ticks on. I keep checking to see if there is any positive news, it's got in my head a bit this story. It's just very sad as things currently stand.
It is a trope, and it's despicable.

Rather than placing the blame on the authorities, the very name places the blame squarely on the shoulders of missing and murdered young women and children - as if being slaughtered then having your demise exploited for public consumption is a privilege.

Firstly, murdered women and little girls should never, ever be considered "privileged", no matter what. They have faced the ultimate disadvantage of having their lives ended.

Secondly, it is only a very small and particular subset of white women and girls who may get disproportionate attention. They have to be attractive, middle class, have media-savvy family or supporters, and have an interesting aspect to the disappearance or murder that gets attention.

The vast majority of missing people don't get media attention, regardless of race. There are thousands upon thousands of cases that most people have never heard of. The sheer number of unidentified white bodies in the USA attests to this.

By making this about race, instead of lifting others up, it is an attempt to prevent resources being given to missing white people, which will simply make things even worse for the vast majority of them who actually don't get much attention in the first place. This will end up disadvantaging unattractive, working class or disadvantaged white women, and all white men.

It also leads to complaining whenever some unfortunate missing white person makes the news. Such as now.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Where’s this pls? can’t see it in the Greek news
It's mentioned here

The search for Michael Mosley was described as a “race against time” by a Greek local, after it switched to a treacherous mountainous path.

CCTV footage from a house at the edge of Pedi’s small marina at the far end of the village showed the presenter entering the path at about 2pm on Wednesday. One of the rescuers said his decision was “inexplicable”. She said it would have taken a fit young person three hours to walk to the port.

She said: “The path is not easy to follow, if he took a wrong turn, he would be lost. He could be anywhere, It is a race against time.” The little-used path goes inland rather than following the coast. The search was called off at 8pm Greek time on Friday night as dusk fell, and will resume on Saturday morning.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Inland is a worry as I assume it’s not very populated, no chance of bumping into another person - and in the heat he could have become dehydrated, confused.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
This new information that he was feeling unwell before the walk, that he had the previous sudden memory loss and the heat,
not having a phone for satnav (we don’t know if he had ever walked the route before)…it’s all pointing to him simply getting disoriented.

the left turn is obvious on the map, but actually as side street if he walked past it, thinking he needed to go to towards the end of the settlement before turning left, once he’s done that there isn’t anywhere to go except up into a steep hill on a rocky path. You can’t see the houses behind in symi town from the ground level or from that wrong turn it looks like he took.

if he was asking for directions at the bus stop and felt confused, he could easily go off on this weird route. The rescuer said it made no sense to try to take that much longer and dangerous route in the heat…but that’s the whole problem…the clues have been there from the beginning of this that he may have got into a situation where he won’t make a logical decision about his choice of route…not that he’s trying to go on a longer hike.

Problem is they have to prioritise, so went for the obvious that would happen to a person thinking logically, not someone who is going to do something completely illogical.

Hes likely to have seen the route on a map (the others had phones) or had it described to him. The coast path leads to Pedi, then turn left at the ‘blue corner’ and then follow the road all the way to Symi. Any description of it from the friends if they know the route would say the difficult part was going up the coast path and then the rest is easy and on proper roads. For him to then think he needs to go up what it essentially a mountain on a rough track means his brain has malfunctioned had gone at that point. There is literally only one hotel on that part of the island heading north, not even a road to it, accessed only by boat, and it’s dreadfully steep and dangerous to attempt if unwell or suffering from the heat, especially alone. It’s just defies basic sense.

Him feeling unwell puts another spin on it and makes it even more likely that he got confused and either went on a bad route or has got frightened and gone into hiding. I know they’ve had boats and coastguard out looking, but after the first night…looking in the water is looking for a body, but looking on land is looking for someone still breathing.

It’s way more likely he’s on land, from the east coast path it’s difficult to end up in the sea from a fall, and if he went in for a swim from the beach/harbour at Pedi they would have found his belongings left behind. There’s enough people around that if he did something odd like walk into the sea fully clothed that would get noticed.

One of the problems they will have had is that this is an island of 2,000 population…plenty of people willing to help, but a very small police force and possibly little experience of dealing with this type of problem. They may have missed it or not asked the right questions on the first night about whether he has ever become confused or suffered memory issues. Hearing that he’s a Dr and presents tv shows may have made them overestimate his ability to make logical decisions. It’s possible local police have both done an excellent job and missed the obvious…reacting quickly but lacking relevant training or experience in different types of missing person scenarios.

Unfortunately if he was feeling unwell, picking up that he was missing could have happened a couple of hours earlier, if he was supposed to text or phone to say he reached the accommodation. A welfare check could have been requested before the others even got back…but then, if his wife actually suspected he was having a major health issue she likely wouldn’t have let him go off on his own. So she probably assumed he arrived and was resting at the accommodation.

Still hoping he will be found alive, but chances now very slim, looks like there aren’t places to shelter from the heat on that route, and if he got desperate for shelter and went off path to search for it that’s a major fall danger. Now they know he went on that path, they at least now have a fairly high chance of finding him. Whether dead or alive, within the next day or two this should get closure for the family, which is going to be better for them than it ending up an unsolved case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
'In 2017, he woke up in Truro Hospital after swimming in cold water off the coast of Cornwall – and blacking out. He had suffered a ‘transient ischaemic attack’, sometimes known as a mini-stroke, that wiped his memory for a period. He made a full recovery.'

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Do we know if he'd been to the island before? It seems very odd for a host to let him go off alone. If you had guests staying and one wanted to go back to the house, for whatever reason, would you really just say 'Yeah there's a bus in the village that's about half an hour's walk away. Off you pop'? Especially knowing that it wasn't a frequent service. Surely you'd go with them. Why on earth did they let him go off alone and with no phone?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I think a lot of the stuff about the phone is a red herring and reporting getting mistranslated. A man of that generation isn’t usually glued to their phone like a teenager. Unless he was expecting a very urgent call or had a work meeting scheduled (neither of which have been stated), he probably just forgot the phone. Provided his wife had her phone, that’s the emergency contact point for the family covered, so making a six mile round trip just to collect it in that heat isn’t likely. He left at 1:30pm, then boat taking the rest of the party away from the beach was at 4pm, if he made that round trip there’s a chance he would miss the boat and have to walk another 3 miles to get back again, and it would be pointless anyway, just exhausting and very little time left for further time on the beach.

it’s more likely he just doesn’t enjoy sunbathing etc as much as the others and felt like he wanted a walk. The thing about the phone is that it alerted the others when they arrived back that he hadn’t been back to the accommodation. If he had gone back and then decided to go out again such as to go down to the seafront and have a beer at a bar (he was on holiday so of course he may havE done that), if he’s generally considerate his wife would have expected a note or for him to have taken the phone to have been contactable.

They left the beach at 4pm, so unless they stopped somewhere en-route they likely were back at the accommodation by around 5-6pm. Not everyone updates each other on their every move by text message, some people just assume all is well unless they’ve heard otherwise. There wasn’t necessarily any reason to feel any concern until the phone was discovered. The phone itself isn’t the concerning thing…it’s what it implies…that he didn’t return to the accommodation in all that time. In itself maybe not an immediate worry…his wife would know whether it was. If is in his nature to stop off somewhere for food/drink on the way home and get talking to people, on holiday where there is no work or deadlines etc, maybe him not being there isn’t a major panic immediately. There’s a difference between ‘missing’ and just not knowing where someone is. It’s possible as it’s a small town that they did something like took a car or walk to the main area with bars/cafes and did a quick scout for him there…it’s summer and hot, someone can easily loose track of time if social or drinking. If the people they are staying with live on the island they may also have done some obvious checking like calling the local a&e to check he wasn’t admitted as they would know where to phone/look.

It depends on what would be his normal habits and expected behaviour. Him not being there at the accommodation as soon as they returned might not have been an immediate call to the police, they may not have assumed something bad had happened just because he wasn’t there, or even because the phone was still there.

The really significant thing about the phone is that it makes it much less likely that he made it back to the accommodation. What is means is he was ‘missing’ from 1:30pm, whereas if he had collected the phone or left some other sign he’d been back…the timing of his being missing would have been later. The missing from 1:30pm part is what caused the rescue effort to focus on the coastal path as the most likely place a person could fall and land unnoticed. It also means that by the time the police we called he’d been missing for significantly longer so than if he had collected the phone, meaning given the circumstances of the coastal route and presumably they were convinced he wasn’t the type to be inconsiderate and make his wife worry if he was just in a pub…meant they sprung into action quickly.

I really don’t think there is anything weird about the phone issue…I think it’s been miscommunicated in the media and it’s really just relevant because it puts a time-stamp on where he was last confirmed as being alive and well (1:30pm) as earlier than if there had been signs he’d visited the accommodation. The cctv now confirmed as being him at apx 2pm moves that forward. But that still doesn’t help much because him not disappearing on the coast path widens the search not narrows it. There’s also the possibility that if he became confused (which is now looking a the most likely scenario given the safety of where he was and his medical history), he might have turned around and gone back over that same coast path…meaning they still can’t rule that area out even though he made it safely to Pedi.

If being in a state of confusion is the most likely theory the police are working on, that’s probably the hardest to deal with in terms of search…because there may be no logic in the route or direction he headed.

Latest reports are saying sniffer dogs are now deployed, which is possibly their best chance of finding him. He could be doing something strange like sheltering/hiding under an upturned boat in a confused and frightened state if he’s had a sudden memory issue. He might be feeling confusion as to why he is in that country alone and with no phone and intentionally hiding in fear. The previous time he had the memory issue it was resolved by the next morning, but if you add dehydration into that it could be it doesn’t then resolve.

The wife/friends called the police apx 7:30pm to make a missing persons report. I don’t think that seems odd at all. They may have only just got back, or just assumed he was somewhere nearby and tried to look for him themselves first. Sometimes people can also be hesitant to call the police because it makes that fear they are dreading about the situation feel more ‘real’ and they are hoping they are ‘worrying over nothing’. There’s also his fame, it would become a news story in the uk very quickly, and if it turned out he was just in the pub and unaware his wife considered him to be ‘missing’ it would be embarrassing. I think 7:30pm is a perfectly reasonable time to raise the alarm. A lot of people wouldn’t even do it that early, but doing it at that early evening time shows that it was out of character for him to leave his wife in a situation where she wouldn’t know his general whereabouts. He clearly can’t be the type that would just stay in the pub until closing and remain out of contact, otherwise she wouldn’t have assumed the police were needed until later in the night.

If you were in the uk and called the police at 7:30pm to report that a generally healthy man with no obvious mental health vulnerability had not returned home after only being last in contact since lunchtime and was out for a walk in a place generally considered safe and where members of the public would see them or in a small town area….I doubt they would spring into action that quickly to assume misadventure, they’d be at least waiting until it got dark. They don’t even do that when teenagers don’t come home when expected, they usually assume at least until after dark that someone is just out of contact intentionally or lost their phone or forgotten to tell family their plans.

Presumably the Greek police were convinced very quickly that not returning by that time was completely out of character, or thought there were other factors such as this 2019 memory loss episode that warranted it being an instant emergency response as they were starting the search very quickly after he was reported missing.
Bloody hell I’m pleased you’re on the case! Have you volunteered your services?
---
Unfortunately he’s almost certainly in the water and they’ll find him very soon hopefully. There’s no conspiracy theory behind this! He’s either had a funny turn or stumbled and fell. It’s extremely sad for his family but all this speculation crap and the armchair detectives are ridiculous! The same with the Nicola Bulley case. Unfortunately accidents like this happen all the time and it usually is just a tragic accident!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
The local police must be feeling sick right now. On the night he went missing it looks like (if the reporting is correct) they had 2 witness reports, one of him walking past the bus stop and one of him at the bus stop asking for directions. The cctv they now have has a 7min gap between the two captures, which is less than 1min walk…the bus stop is off a side street between the two cameras. One witness said 2pm which is almost bang on the correct time for the cctv, the other said 2:30, which is close enough as witnesses often have to best guess.

It seems they deemed these sightings less likely to be reliable as it wasn’t obvious how he could go missing once he was on the road with the bus stop, so instead started their search in the only obvious part of the whole route that a person could plausibly vanish.

it is surprising how it’s taken this long to find the cctv footage, unless they’ve had it and not publicly released it for some reason. Even if police didn’t directly ask for it, by Thursday morning surely it would have natural behaviour for anyone with cctv along that route to have checked, but maybe it’s harder to spot and guess what time stamp etc to look for and the task takes a lot of time/effort. I think I read there was something like 4 police officers on the first night…that might be the island’s whole force, they were probably focussed on physically searching for signs of a coastal path fall as their urgent priority rather than trying to piece it together as a puzzle.
---
I think it’s simply that he’s felt unwell and become disorientated and took an abnormal and illogical route as a result. No conspiracy, no foul play, nothing more complicated than that. Something that did strike me as odd though, right from the start was his missing persons photo. Wearing all the same clothes so it looks like it was taken earlier in the day…but he’s looking like he isn’t aware it’s being taken and isn’t posing like in a holiday snap and it’s poor quality. Maybe he was in the background of another shot or it’s a still from a section of video. They used it even though it doesn’t even show his face because showing his clothes was most important for witnesses, but it seems it’s probably
just a weird happenstance that someone took his photo by accident right before he went missing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
I think honestly things are happening faster on the island and the updates area bit slower getting out.

Reactions: 9
I’m surprised they only started searching the water yesterday. They’d combed the whole island quite quickly and it was apparent he wasn’t anywhere. I just hope they find his body to give the family some closure, as it would be terrible to never know what happened to him.

Reactions: 7
Sorry assumed it was clickbait!

Does seem very foolish for someone to go off alone wondering without a device of some sort for tracing if they've already had difficulties before and it's a heatwave.

An airtag or similar would have probably solved this by now!

Reactions: 9
I hope he's found safe and well but it seems more and more unlikely as time goes on.
Have to admit I can't understand why he would attempt to walk that distance in temperatures in the high 30s. Being a doctor surely he would've realised the risks to his health.
It's reminding me of when Julian Sands went missing. He also went out alone in extreme temperatures.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
I hope he's found safe and well but it seems more and more unlikely as time goes on.
Have to admit I can't understand why he would attempt to walk that distance in temperatures in the high 30s. Being a doctor surely he would've realised the risks to his health.
It's reminding me of when Julian Sands went missing. He also went out alone in extreme temperatures.
This but also he doesn’t appear to be holding a bottle of water or anything? Crazy in that sort of heat!

Reactions: 11
This but also he doesn’t appear to be holding a bottle of water or anything? Crazy in that sort of heat!
I thought exactly the same at first but isn't he carrying a backpack 🤔 It would be crazy not to be carrying some water on a walk in that heat.

Reactions: 4
Did he have money? Then you could buy a drink in the village and sit in the shade for a bit? I'm not good in the heat so would be taking any opportunity to refuel.

Hopefully he had water in his bag.

Another vid of him leaving the village and a quote from his wife has just been released.