Michael Mosley

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That really is weird. It makes the original sighting of someone who claimed they ‘recognised him’ at a bus stop and asked for directions seem much more likely to be true. I expect they excluded it as there was no logic as to how he could have thought himself lost.

I think authorities were assuming he hadn’t reached Pedi because there’s no obvious way he could have had an accident from that point onwards (it’s one road so almost impossible to get lost, not cliff side and lined with houses, low traffic and low crime…an incredibly safe walk). They were assuming he must have fallen from the coastal path.

If he had fallen, he would also have been unlikely to have ended up in the sea, the rock face isn’t that steep, it would catch his fall and he’d get stuck on the rocks. They probably even with heat seeking equipment would find it hard to trace him if he’s in a well hidden spot as the ground would be so hot it would emulate body temperature. He may also have crawled intentionally into a crevice in the rocks to escape searing heat if injured.

Now that he’s confirmed as making it to Pedi…and the story from 2019 about an episode of short term memory loss…I think he may have had a similar episode and become confused. Then for whatever reason he’s headed off onto some side path or across rocky ground, become disorientated or trapped somewhere and collapsed from heat exhaustion. Either that or he decided to get into the sea and swim wherever he thought was the right direction.

The massive problem for the search team, based on my theory, is that he may not have been behaving logically. Meaning he could have decided to just scale a mountain in the wrong direction or swam as far as he could get away from shore. That’s probably why they are widening their search effort…because he’s not going to have had the obvious ‘accident and fallen on the coast path’ accident which would have been the first (most obvious) assumption. There is also the small chance that he’s got into a car (and for some reason the driver hasn’t come forward) and taken a lift somewhere and then got out and got lost, the south of the island is a couple of roads and mostly just rocks. He’s unlikely to have used any form or public transport as that would have been checked quickly.

They might have done this already…but they really need to ask the person who was wearing similar clothes in the area on that day to come forward and confirm all their whereabouts and timings and who they spoke to etc. That would help with the issue of working out which witness sightings are likely most reliable. It doesn't appear obvious as of yet that any of these small number of witness sightings are just time-wasters. With such a small population the people who make things up ‘to be involved’ in the police drama of it all gets much less

I don’t think suicide or other intentional disappearance at all. Going to the beach with his wife, who urgently needs to contact them other than their kids…maybe he leaves his phone behind if with her (men don’t always want things in pockets that they can loose easily, especially in the heat wearing loose fitting shorts or a beach). The decision to walk back alone isn’t strange either. The reporting has been muddled and made it sound like he went off on some hike alone…but it’s most likely that he just enjoyed walking more than the others present and enjoyed less time lying around on the beach. It wasn’t considered a dangerous path and should have been a simple walk with no way to get lost. When splitting with the group it would have been logical to have taken his wife’s phone for safety…but men often don’t think like that, he had no reason to think it was unsafe and it was a fairly well used path, plus we now know from the cctv that he navigated the coastal path safely, so in theory if he got into an difficulty after that point he had plenty of places, cafes, shops, houses…that he could have called on for help. There were witnesses on the beach…if there had been a huge row it would have been noticed. He also works with his wife and has a marriage of nearly 40 years…so they don’t seem the likely types to have public rows or sudden relationship dramas, they were also staying with friends…people don’t generally do that if they can’t behave themselves calmlas a couple…they would be in the privacy a hotel.

The theory of the intentionally running off with a mistress also doesn’t make any sense. It’s not easy to get off such a small island unnoticed, he wouldn’t be able to ever go back to the uk, plus by disappearing on holiday he’s made himself front page news, possibly in Greece as well…plus he wouldn’t be able to contact his children again, or work in anything he’s qualified in without any identity documents. If he wanted to end his marriage he would just do it in the uk as quietly as possible to protect his career and relationship with children as much as possible.

But…I wouldn’t rule out the sighting of him ‘with a woman’. If he’s had a memory issue he could be easily led by someone he got talking to. Again, if this is real sighting or just someone in similar clothes, any woman who was with a man dressed similar should come forward to help rule in or out that sighting. With his general personality I think he is the type that would stop and chat to random people if he’s in no rush on holiday, especially if they recognised him he would want to be polite and maintain his image. So with a memory loss incident he would be also be easy prey to someone wanting to do him intentional harm, but in that location it seems unlikely to have been that type of incident.

The area has a small population, even with low cctv coverage, if enough people co-operate they should be able to work through witness statements properly.

Sadly, I think the chances of him being alive after this amount of time are now getting very slim, dehydration alone would be deadly without other injuries if he did just walk off in an illogical direction. My prediction is that they will find his body within the next few days, but police won’t have an explanation of how he ended up in that location as he will be somewhere illogical. I think they’ll find him on land not in the water.

His family must be distraught, he always seems like a thoroughly decent man. When he does tv shows he is never judgmental or condescending towards those who aren’t making sensible decisions, aren’t as well educated as himself etc. He just informs and guides gently. Hopefully this will be resolved either way quickly. We had an incident in my family where someone went missing (they were found after about a week…it was intentional due to mental health issues)…from my experience the distress to family from the unknown is actually worse than a straightforward bereavement, I think it’s because you don’t know if the person could be still alive and suffering and you also don’t know what point you should give up hope and that feel guilt when doing so. If he stays missing long term his wife and children will then have that awful feeling of returning home without him, but not having closure.
---
Also, to add. One positive thing.

The amount of media coverage due to his celebrity will mean that the Greek authorities know they are being watched and judged by a wide audience. It should make no difference to search operation decisions and resources deployed but realistically it does. He will be getting the best Greece can offer with support from the mainland being provided as well.

Quite possibly more search and police resources, and more time taken before calling off the search…a high-profile unresolved mystery such as this could affect tourism and the reputation of the island in particular and Greece as a holiday destination. The media coverage, even if it’s generating wild conspiracies online and lots of potentially insensitive chat for the family from bystanders (such as us), actually helps in this case. This is not at all like Nicola Bulley…the police in that case were dealing with a wider population getting involved in the case with fake tip offs or sightings etc which massively interfered with their ability to run the investigation. With this case, anyone who wasn’t physically part of the small island population on that first day/night should easily be dismissed as unreliable. The whole island is actually small enough that with a police team from the mainland they could try door to door enquires for the whole place if they thought that would yield anything. They should have done that already along his expected route.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
So, from a mixture of DM reporting (am I getting this right?) and a bit of guess work. He went to beach with wife and friends they were staying with via water taxi in the morning. Realised he had left his phone back at the friends house he was staying at. Decided to walk back to get phone. Took path through rocks and was seen on ctv walking through Pedi. His intention had been to get a bus (?) from Pedi back to the house in Symi.

I'd like to know what the second route looks like, the route the bus would of taken. Did he take that route by foot? Hit & run? The historic memory loss info is a worry isn't it.

Reactions: 16
The Daily Mail, known for being insensitive generally, I think will know what they are doing in terms of putting all these details with front page stories…they aren’t turning on one of their own and sensationalising his suffering purely for public entertainment (which is their usual behaviour)…in this case there are people are the paper who care on a personal level and so making it front page is a way to keep the Greek authorities under pressure. Think Madeline McCann…would that particular investigation have had such a high resource, well outstripping other missing child cases…if the whole story hadn’t been a media sensation?

His wife and children may even be consenting and encouraging the media coverage, even though it won’t directly help him get found as us in the uk aren’t potential witnesses, but just to help keep the pressure high.

Reactions: 12
People only seem to get near that level of invested when the missing is an attractive, middle/upper class white woman. Otherwise there's not often much reaction to missing people cases, including what the mainstream media will cover.

For a high profile newspaper columnist I've found the reaction to Michael's dissappearance oddly muted even for early days.
Really tropes like this make my blood boil. There are hundreds of reasons why one story takes off and another doesn't, like how someone went missing, their age, whether they are suffering from mental health problems, what may have been seen on CCTV or by the public, belongings that may have been found and that's before we take into account any big stories unfolding like Ukraine, the election, the royals, etc.

To state in this day and age that the media decide not to publicise a missing person because they are not white and middle class is ridiculous. That would require a conspiracy of everyone working in newspaper, radio and TV. Do you believe everyone working in those places is white and racist too?

----------

I'm more hopeful now there are photos of Michael in Pedi. Hopefully he's run off with his mistress, or is confused and holed up somewhere, at least there's more chance he's alive.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'd like to know what the second route looks like, the route the bus would of taken. Did he take that route by foot? Hit & run? The historic memory loss info is a worry isn't it.
Yeah now there’s the CCTV footage showing he ?made it back to Pedi I’d like to know more about this second part of the trip between Pedi and Symi he planned to take. They say it’s a very safe place but it only takes one rotten egg trying to rob a tourist or someone panicking after a hit and run type accident like you say and trying to cover up etc. Wasn’t it Greece that Ben Needham went missing in?

Reactions: 12
I was waiting for a “gypsies/Roma or Albanians“ have robbed/kidnapped/killed him” to start up, they usually get the blame attributed to them based on the fact they exist in Greece.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I think a lot of the stuff about the phone is a red herring and reporting getting mistranslated. A man of that generation isn’t usually glued to their phone like a teenager. Unless he was expecting a very urgent call or had a work meeting scheduled (neither of which have been stated), he probably just forgot the phone. Provided his wife had her phone, that’s the emergency contact point for the family covered, so making a six mile round trip just to collect it in that heat isn’t likely. He left at 1:30pm, then boat taking the rest of the party away from the beach was at 4pm, if he made that round trip there’s a chance he would miss the boat and have to walk another 3 miles to get back again, and it would be pointless anyway, just exhausting and very little time left for further time on the beach.

it’s more likely he just doesn’t enjoy sunbathing etc as much as the others and felt like he wanted a walk. The thing about the phone is that it alerted the others when they arrived back that he hadn’t been back to the accommodation. If he had gone back and then decided to go out again such as to go down to the seafront and have a beer at a bar (he was on holiday so of course he may havE done that), if he’s generally considerate his wife would have expected a note or for him to have taken the phone to have been contactable.

They left the beach at 4pm, so unless they stopped somewhere en-route they likely were back at the accommodation by around 5-6pm. Not everyone updates each other on their every move by text message, some people just assume all is well unless they’ve heard otherwise. There wasn’t necessarily any reason to feel any concern until the phone was discovered. The phone itself isn’t the concerning thing…it’s what it implies…that he didn’t return to the accommodation in all that time. In itself maybe not an immediate worry…his wife would know whether it was. If is in his nature to stop off somewhere for food/drink on the way home and get talking to people, on holiday where there is no work or deadlines etc, maybe him not being there isn’t a major panic immediately. There’s a difference between ‘missing’ and just not knowing where someone is. It’s possible as it’s a small town that they did something like took a car or walk to the main area with bars/cafes and did a quick scout for him there…it’s summer and hot, someone can easily loose track of time if social or drinking. If the people they are staying with live on the island they may also have done some obvious checking like calling the local a&e to check he wasn’t admitted as they would know where to phone/look.

It depends on what would be his normal habits and expected behaviour. Him not being there at the accommodation as soon as they returned might not have been an immediate call to the police, they may not have assumed something bad had happened just because he wasn’t there, or even because the phone was still there.

The really significant thing about the phone is that it makes it much less likely that he made it back to the accommodation. What is means is he was ‘missing’ from 1:30pm, whereas if he had collected the phone or left some other sign he’d been back…the timing of his being missing would have been later. The missing from 1:30pm part is what caused the rescue effort to focus on the coastal path as the most likely place a person could fall and land unnoticed. It also means that by the time the police we called he’d been missing for significantly longer so than if he had collected the phone, meaning given the circumstances of the coastal route and presumably they were convinced he wasn’t the type to be inconsiderate and make his wife worry if he was just in a pub…meant they sprung into action quickly.

I really don’t think there is anything weird about the phone issue…I think it’s been miscommunicated in the media and it’s really just relevant because it puts a time-stamp on where he was last confirmed as being alive and well (1:30pm) as earlier than if there had been signs he’d visited the accommodation. The cctv now confirmed as being him at apx 2pm moves that forward. But that still doesn’t help much because him not disappearing on the coast path widens the search not narrows it. There’s also the possibility that if he became confused (which is now looking a the most likely scenario given the safety of where he was and his medical history), he might have turned around and gone back over that same coast path…meaning they still can’t rule that area out even though he made it safely to Pedi.

If being in a state of confusion is the most likely theory the police are working on, that’s probably the hardest to deal with in terms of search…because there may be no logic in the route or direction he headed.

Latest reports are saying sniffer dogs are now deployed, which is possibly their best chance of finding him. He could be doing something strange like sheltering/hiding under an upturned boat in a confused and frightened state if he’s had a sudden memory issue. He might be feeling confusion as to why he is in that country alone and with no phone and intentionally hiding in fear. The previous time he had the memory issue it was resolved by the next morning, but if you add dehydration into that it could be it doesn’t then resolve.

The wife/friends called the police apx 7:30pm to make a missing persons report. I don’t think that seems odd at all. They may have only just got back, or just assumed he was somewhere nearby and tried to look for him themselves first. Sometimes people can also be hesitant to call the police because it makes that fear they are dreading about the situation feel more ‘real’ and they are hoping they are ‘worrying over nothing’. There’s also his fame, it would become a news story in the uk very quickly, and if it turned out he was just in the pub and unaware his wife considered him to be ‘missing’ it would be embarrassing. I think 7:30pm is a perfectly reasonable time to raise the alarm. A lot of people wouldn’t even do it that early, but doing it at that early evening time shows that it was out of character for him to leave his wife in a situation where she wouldn’t know his general whereabouts. He clearly can’t be the type that would just stay in the pub until closing and remain out of contact, otherwise she wouldn’t have assumed the police were needed until later in the night.

If you were in the uk and called the police at 7:30pm to report that a generally healthy man with no obvious mental health vulnerability had not returned home after only being last in contact since lunchtime and was out for a walk in a place generally considered safe and where members of the public would see them or in a small town area….I doubt they would spring into action that quickly to assume misadventure, they’d be at least waiting until it got dark. They don’t even do that when teenagers don’t come home when expected, they usually assume at least until after dark that someone is just out of contact intentionally or lost their phone or forgotten to tell family their plans.

Presumably the Greek police were convinced very quickly that not returning by that time was completely out of character, or thought there were other factors such as this 2019 memory loss episode that warranted it being an instant emergency response as they were starting the search very quickly after he was reported missing.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Really tropes like this make my blood boil.
I’ve been lurking here, but I feel the need to point out that this isn’t a trope. It’s known as Missing White Woman Syndrome and it very much exists. Claiming that it doesn’t simply adds to the problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Really tropes like this make my blood boil. There are hundreds of reasons why one story takes off and another doesn't
I'm sorry if what I said was offensive, I didn't mean for it to be. It's just my opinion but there is this also for the reasoning behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

So it's not something I just randomly came up with, it has been studied.

But maybe this thread and this story was not the time, so I apologise for distracting from Michael.

Eye_Spy - really appreciate your posts. It's so important that there are people who are in the know and can relay such facts in the very calm and respectful way you did to sort out what we are dealing with from the jumbled media reporting.

I feel so much for Michael's family as time ticks on. I keep checking to see if there is any positive news, it's got in my head a bit this story. It's just very sad as things currently stand.

• Sick
Reactions: 15
I’ve been lurking here, but I feel the need to point out that this isn’t a trope. It’s known as Missing White Woman Syndrome and it very much exists. Claiming that it doesn’t simply adds to the problem.
A trope is a recurring thing, a pattern - so it’s a trope. And I don’t disagree it’s a problem, but this is a public figure gossip site and he’s on the telly, we’re bound to pick up on it even if it was just on Xitter and socials.
So it’s going off topic to talk about the media bias and “Missing White Woman Syndrome” which is somewhat a different issue, and is often related to women and girls more so than men.

Reactions: 4
A trope is a recurring thing, a pattern - so it’s a trope. And I don’t disagree it’s a problem, but this is a public figure gossip site and he’s on the telly, we’re bound to pick up on it even if it was just on Xitter and socials.
So it’s going off topic to talk about the media bias and “Missing White Woman Syndrome” which is somewhat a different issue, and is often related to women and girls more so than men.
Trope is also often used to mean cliché in common parlance. ‘Same tired old trope’ etc. My apologies for veering off-topic, because yes, MWWS doesn’t particularly apply to MM, who is male and whose story would always have been picked up with him being a public figure. But as it had already been mentioned, I did just want to point out that it is a known issue.

As we were…

Reactions: 2
I think it does very much exist. Not necessarily white women, but just anyone who the media take a high interest in. Beautiful children for example. It’s not that the police don’t investigate other cases thoroughly as such…it’s that the media create a public pressure on police to keep actively working on cases that may otherwise have resources cut. Madeline McCann is the prime example. There are thousands of missing persons on the register in the uk, yet met police have continued to pump £ millions into supporting a foreign investigation. Something also to consider is that the perpetrator in that case wasn’t as likely to have been a UK resident as cases such as when a teenager goes missing in a uk city and is taken into something like county lines. That means that although a dangerous individual, they don’t necessarily pose any threat to other British citizens, especially not on British soil. Police have limited resources, yet they’ll spend a disproportionate amount keeping one investigation live when others go dormant (unless there is new evidence handed to them on a plate), if it’s a PR issue. The police need to show the public their worth, working on the cases most in the public eye (via the media) gives that to the public. The initial weeks on any missing person case will go according to their risk factors, not on things like their media coverage, but once the initial evidence trail goes cold and the case is ready to be dormant, it’s the ones the media is interested in that pressure the police to keep resourcing.

That’s often why it’s a good idea to get national news coverage and for family co-operate with the media…it puts pressure on the police to avoid announcing that they have taken manpower off it. These media cases and appeals for witnesses often are really only relevant as local news, as it’s locals who may come forward with information…but the ones that go national put the scrutiny and pressure onto police. The police won’t admit that’s why some cases get more resources of course.

Would the met police really spend £13m on supporting a foreign investigation, when the 1 British citizen involved is highly likely to be dead, when it’s been clear all along that it’s not likely to even be a British suspect? If the German suspect is found guilty of her murder…justice will be served…but in doing so it hasn’t necessarily done anything to keep other members of the British public safe from murder/abduction by that individual. It would have been far more logical to have spent £13m taking dangerous criminals off the street inside the uk. Most of the time where there is foul play, it’s not just a question of justice…it’s a question of removing that dangerous person to stop it happening again. Protecting the public is the police’s main function. So spending such a huge budget and staff time on madelaine McCann wasn’t logical. The parents did the media trail stuff and the interviews and the Netflix documentary to keep the case getting publicity…to pressure the met into showing publicly that they are still progressing it. Policing is actually very political in this respect.

they call it the white female effect, but it’s really just whatever catches public attention or what the media want to push onto public attention that gets the most longer term resourcing. The shorter term resourcing is probably the same regardless of media attention, each case treated in its merits and risks to the victims or wider public. The Stephen Lawrence case is another example and he was a black male…his mother used the media to her advantage to push for justice for years and years. But generally it’s the more photogenic the person, the more the media will think it will sell newspapers. If Stephen’s mother hadn’t fought using the media for it to be resourced…his case would not have progressed as it did. That’s the other way someone can pressure the police, by forcing it themselves into the public mind.

Of course, all cases in an ideal world should be pursued until satisfactorily resolved, but funding will never allow for that, which is why high profile cases get something low profile ones don’t.

If Dr Mosley wasn’t famous and this wasn’t making headlines and was just a little story appearing on one date in an inner page of the newspapers…the Greek police would still be putting in a lot of effort right now to find him. What would be different is that because it is high profile, the higher-ups in the Greek mainland police will be taking more interest, the Greek government may be taking interest in how this resolves, and they will be watching how it is portrayed publicly. Those optics will factor into how they handle scaling back the investigation if he isn’t found.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
News now saying he told wife and friends he wasn't feeling very well before he walked back.

A couple of older male brit holiday makers have gone walking in Greece, not returned and not been found in recent years.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
That really is weird. It makes the original sighting of someone who claimed they ‘recognised him’ at a bus stop and asked for directions seem much more likely to be true. I expect they excluded it as there was no logic as to how he could have thought himself lost.

I think authorities were assuming he hadn’t reached Pedi because there’s no obvious way he could have had an accident from that point onwards (it’s one road so almost impossible to get lost, not cliff side and lined with houses, low traffic and low crime…an incredibly safe walk). They were assuming he must have fallen from the coastal path.

If he had fallen, he would also have been unlikely to have ended up in the sea, the rock face isn’t that steep, it would catch his fall and he’d get stuck on the rocks. They probably even with heat seeking equipment would find it hard to trace him if he’s in a well hidden spot as the ground would be so hot it would emulate body temperature. He may also have crawled intentionally into a crevice in the rocks to escape searing heat if injured.

Now that he’s confirmed as making it to Pedi…and the story from 2019 about an episode of short term memory loss…I think he may have had a similar episode and become confused. Then for whatever reason he’s headed off onto some side path or across rocky ground, become disorientated or trapped somewhere and collapsed from heat exhaustion. Either that or he decided to get into the sea and swim wherever he thought was the right direction.

The massive problem for the search team, based on my theory, is that he may not have been behaving logically. Meaning he could have decided to just scale a mountain in the wrong direction or swam as far as he could get away from shore. That’s probably why they are widening their search effort…because he’s not going to have had the obvious ‘accident and fallen on the coast path’ accident which would have been the first (most obvious) assumption. There is also the small chance that he’s got into a car (and for some reason the driver hasn’t come forward) and taken a lift somewhere and then got out and got lost, the south of the island is a couple of roads and mostly just rocks. He’s unlikely to have used any form or public transport as that would have been checked quickly.

They might have done this already…but they really need to ask the person who was wearing similar clothes in the area on that day to come forward and confirm all their whereabouts and timings and who they spoke to etc. That would help with the issue of working out which witness sightings are likely most reliable. It doesn't appear obvious as of yet that any of these small number of witness sightings are just time-wasters. With such a small population the people who make things up ‘to be involved’ in the police drama of it all gets much less

I don’t think suicide or other intentional disappearance at all. Going to the beach with his wife, who urgently needs to contact them other than their kids…maybe he leaves his phone behind if with her (men don’t always want things in pockets that they can loose easily, especially in the heat wearing loose fitting shorts or a beach). The decision to walk back alone isn’t strange either. The reporting has been muddled and made it sound like he went off on some hike alone…but it’s most likely that he just enjoyed walking more than the others present and enjoyed less time lying around on the beach. It wasn’t considered a dangerous path and should have been a simple walk with no way to get lost. When splitting with the group it would have been logical to have taken his wife’s phone for safety…but men often don’t think like that, he had no reason to think it was unsafe and it was a fairly well used path, plus we now know from the cctv that he navigated the coastal path safely, so in theory if he got into an difficulty after that point he had plenty of places, cafes, shops, houses…that he could have called on for help. There were witnesses on the beach…if there had been a huge row it would have been noticed. He also works with his wife and has a marriage of nearly 40 years…so they don’t seem the likely types to have public rows or sudden relationship dramas, they were also staying with friends…people don’t generally do that if they can’t behave themselves calmlas a couple…they would be in the privacy a hotel.

The theory of the intentionally running off with a mistress also doesn’t make any sense. It’s not easy to get off such a small island unnoticed, he wouldn’t be able to ever go back to the uk, plus by disappearing on holiday he’s made himself front page news, possibly in Greece as well…plus he wouldn’t be able to contact his children again, or work in anything he’s qualified in without any identity documents. If he wanted to end his marriage he would just do it in the uk as quietly as possible to protect his career and relationship with children as much as possible.

But…I wouldn’t rule out the sighting of him ‘with a woman’. If he’s had a memory issue he could be easily led by someone he got talking to. Again, if this is real sighting or just someone in similar clothes, any woman who was with a man dressed similar should come forward to help rule in or out that sighting. With his general personality I think he is the type that would stop and chat to random people if he’s in no rush on holiday, especially if they recognised him he would want to be polite and maintain his image. So with a memory loss incident he would be also be easy prey to someone wanting to do him intentional harm, but in that location it seems unlikely to have been that type of incident.

The area has a small population, even with low cctv coverage, if enough people co-operate they should be able to work through witness statements properly.

Sadly, I think the chances of him being alive after this amount of time are now getting very slim, dehydration alone would be deadly without other injuries if he did just walk off in an illogical direction. My prediction is that they will find his body within the next few days, but police won’t have an explanation of how he ended up in that location as he will be somewhere illogical. I think they’ll find him on land not in the water.

His family must be distraught, he always seems like a thoroughly decent man. When he does tv shows he is never judgmental or condescending towards those who aren’t making sensible decisions, aren’t as well educated as himself etc. He just informs and guides gently. Hopefully this will be resolved either way quickly. We had an incident in my family where someone went missing (they were found after about a week…it was intentional due to mental health issues)…from my experience the distress to family from the unknown is actually worse than a straightforward bereavement, I think it’s because you don’t know if the person could be still alive and suffering and you also don’t know what point you should give up hope and that feel guilt when doing so. If he stays missing long term his wife and children will then have that awful feeling of returning home without him, but not having closure.
---
Also, to add. One positive thing.

The amount of media coverage due to his celebrity will mean that the Greek authorities know they are being watched and judged by a wide audience. It should make no difference to search operation decisions and resources deployed but realistically it does. He will be getting the best Greece can offer with support from the mainland being provided as well.

Quite possibly more search and police resources, and more time taken before calling off the search…a high-profile unresolved mystery such as this could affect tourism and the reputation of the island in particular and Greece as a holiday destination. The media coverage, even if it’s generating wild conspiracies online and lots of potentially insensitive chat for the family from bystanders (such as us), actually helps in this case. This is not at all like Nicola Bulley…the police in that case were dealing with a wider population getting involved in the case with fake tip offs or sightings etc which massively interfered with their ability to run the investigation. With this case, anyone who wasn’t physically part of the small island population on that first day/night should easily be dismissed as unreliable. The whole island is actually small enough that with a police team from the mainland they could try door to door enquires for the whole place if they thought that would yield anything. They should have done that already along his expected route.
Excellent post. Thanks 🙏

Reactions: 6
I wonder if he decided to kill himself. I know older people are less likely to be glued to their phones but not taking someone else's if you aren't feeling well and walking by yourself doesn't seem sensible.

Reactions: 3
I wonder if he decided to kill himself. I know older people are less likely to be glued to their phones but not taking someone else's if you aren't feeling well and walking by yourself doesn't seem sensible.
Depends on his reason he gave for feeling unwell. If he was feeling a bit queasy and needed to walk home, I don’t think taking someone else’s phone with him would necessarily be front of mind when he’s an otherwise well man. If he was feeling seriously unwell like he was about to pass out then I’m sure someone would’ve accompanied him.

And I don’t think forgetting the phone should be focussed on as something deliberate either - my dad is in his 60s and forgets his all the time. It’s a boomer thing

Reactions: 8
Maybe it's just my parents - but they're just as bad as my teens for always being on their phones! Doing boomer things like looking at holidays, checking their pensions or tricked into reading some fake BBC news site with an article about Rylan! At least the teens do things like turn their phones off during movies and made the choice to delete all social media apps.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
There's new cctv, apparently shows him entering a mountain path the other side of Pedi. They're searching there now 😕

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21